let this thread be a place to ask, and declare, what one should drink.

DYtD friends, i'm feeling a little bit of Drink Wanderlust and thinking of trying out a new cocktail or two this weekend, got any classic favourites you'd recommend?

no soccer mom garden party bullshit plz, I want clear drinks that don't try to mask their liquor content under syrupy garbage
beer
[account deactivated]
I drink Coke Zero. The 6-pack of ~700 ml bottles is usually on sale. If I'm feeling sassy I'll have some Coca Cola Classic, although I've mostly cut that out because I'd probably be better off drinking nailpolish remover healthwise. The Koreans near me don't sell 2 liter bottles of Coke Zero so I have to drink Diet Coke a lot whenever I'm too depressed to go to the grocery store. Plus my mom only buys the abomination that is Caffeine Free Diet Coke, so I drink that when I'm visiting home.

tpaine posted:

he opened his fridge full of liquor from the bottom corner of the door...

[account deactivated]
that sounds really good. there's no way i'll be able to find actual arak up here, would some other anise liquor make a good substitute?
I drink 1. Water 2. Coffee 3. Red Bull. Red bull is for power but makes you angry. Coffee is for pleasure only. Water is to sustain the self. I used to drink non-redbull energy drinks but I think I'm getting too old b/c they tear my guts up now. For you I'd recommend water as it's the most clear of the three. Good luck!
[account deactivated]
dran-o
i drink pale ale (ipa is gross) fernet and cuba libres. the only other mixed drink i do is vodka grapefruit
basically all anyone with real taste and class should drink is fernet and malort if available but sometimes you have to compromise

edit: but a good drink most people haven't had is chichaito the puerto rican apertif style shot - 2/3 rum 1/3 anis and a tiny bit of lemon / passion fruit / tamarind juice sometimes if it's a classy spot. if you get the anis with the sticks in it thats the best but you can get anisette paloma or whatever too if you wanna go cheap. great when you have a cold if you take 1 or 2 shots
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

i drink pale ale (ipa is gross) fernet and cuba libres. the only other mixed drink i do is vodka grapefruit

your gross

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
isn't jagermeister anise liquor? i dunno
[account deactivated]
its made of equal portions deer blood and frathouse bar rag squeezins
ouzo is anise flavored, though i do not know where to get any in the states
ouzo is all over the place in americas hipsterest communities
[account deactivated]
I went to a festival at a Greek orthodox church and some guy was walking around with a bottle of ouzo and gave me like four shots for free
https://screen.yahoo.com/hubs-gyros-000000674.html
can get decent ouzo up here. pretty easy to accidentally drink half a bottle in an evening and wake up wondering what the fuck happened. great stuff.
when you really get down to it, is there really any reason to drink anything that isn't vodka, even if you have to dilute it with something like tonic water?
[account deactivated]
vodka is made by distilling a fermented feedstock to extremely high purity of ethanol, like 95+%, and then cutting it back down to the desired proof of around 45% with distilled water. all that distillation is extremely energy intensive

wine/beer is just fermenting something and other liquors (except for example gin which is essentially flavored vodka) are just made by fermenting something then distilling it right up to the desired proof and into the bottle. aging can be involved in these, in either wooden barrels or steel tanks.

so if you wish to consume more of the earths resources and help contribute to the death of all humanity while contributing to the death of yourself, vodka or vodka based liquors is definitely the way to go. next most mutually destructive option would probably be either red wine aged in new oak barrels or barrel aged liquor like whiskey, where the energy for distillation makes up for the fact that most distilleries use barrels recycled from a winery.
hmm, i never thought of it in that way, good thing I bought some more vodka for tonight though. i'll try not to post with it this time though, promise.

MarxUltor posted:

vodka is made by distilling a fermented feedstock to extremely high purity of ethanol, like 95+%, and then cutting it back down to the desired proof of around 45% with distilled water. all that distillation is extremely energy intensive

wine/beer is just fermenting something and other liquors (except for example gin which is essentially flavored vodka) are just made by fermenting something then distilling it right up to the desired proof and into the bottle. aging can be involved in these, in either wooden barrels or steel tanks.

so if you wish to consume more of the earths resources and help contribute to the death of all humanity while contributing to the death of yourself, vodka or vodka based liquors is definitely the way to go. next most mutually destructive option would probably be either red wine aged in new oak barrels or barrel aged liquor like whiskey, where the energy for distillation makes up for the fact that most distilleries use barrels recycled from a winery.

beer and wine involve wasting agricultural land and product alongside massive expenditures of energy in transportation. truly the only ethical way to drink is to make pruno from spoiled lettuce you pulled out of a dumpster

distilled liquor involves taking the exact same agricultural product and boiling it and cooling it off and throwing 75-90% of it away

this advice was not for those seeking some kind of liberal ethical balance, this forum is for serious discussion of the means and methods of Drinking Yourself To Death
i apologize, i missed some keywords and misinterpreted the meaning of your post, because i am currently Drinking Myself To Death
im sick as a dog and i was trying to decided between nyquil and beer. i chose beer. 50 ounces of cold budweiser american beer

shriekingviolet posted:

i apologize, i missed some keywords and misinterpreted the meaning of your post, because i am currently Drinking Myself To Death

that's perfectly ok, To seek clarity is Revolutionary. to Drink Yourself To Death is right and proper. To do both is demonstration of the purest virtue.

[account deactivated]
I prefer rum and coke, the caffeine and sugar keep you from passing out and the rum keeps you from being sober. you don't really need much coke,just enough to make it darker. also it reminds me of my dad who passed away in november. not of drinking though. rip. he could drink well.
the merlot to DRI nk is concha y toro. The bitter content of your held in burpvapor is incredibly mild and less likely than other, sweeter wines to accidently activate your gag reflex. This mortal coil
Screwdrivers are a good morning drink because they provide some important vitamins and nutrients and nobody else knows you're drinking at 8am