Agreed. It's derivative and knows it, but throws a hat on it instead of striving for anything. Strong avoid.

Keven posted:

I'd say season two is very good but for sure the characters aren't as strong.

kirsten dunsts character owns though

Everybody please remember to pray for Steve Harvey so that God may have mercy upon him and lift his soul out of the depths of hell.

Watched Zootopia. Was good if you define good as an artistic work capturing and transmitting the ideology in which it was made (bad is failing to do so of course while evil is alienating the audience for revolutionary purposes)

anyway something I noticed is since Disney got rid of "princess" in the title after the failure of Princess and the Frog they have gotten rid of love stories entirely, first giving love stories to the side characters, then subverting it in Frozen, and finally eliminating it entirely in Big Hero 6 (a bad movie) and Zootopia (a good movie). love, being a terroristic and revolutionary emotion, has been replaced with a liberal 'Bechdel test' for empowered female characters who celebrate their difference in a tolerant, non-offensive manner. Zootopia can imagine liberal tolerance towards everything except love between species, a potential rupture in the celebration of biological differences between predator and prey.

this is disney simply catching up to its comic book/Star Wars division (which is really all of Hollywood at this point) in liberal ideology, but it is significant that the movie was so popular in China. again, Trump is again right for the wrong reasons, Hollywood is pandering to China but not by pandering to communism but by pandering to liberalism. disturbing if true.
Oh dear we got another bhpn post about women
why are you watching so many childrens movies
[account deactivated]
i watched The Flower Girl. it was all right!

the main theme sounds a LOT like "oh my darling Clementine" though
New Australian TV series Cleverman just started. V good.
xpMrzFHPnoI
Strayans can watch on iview. Yanks can watch on sundance channel if u have it. Otherwise theres a buinch of torrents etc.

Politically its hitting on a bunch of really important stuff. Id be interested to know how it comes across to non-strayans.

Petrol posted:

Politically its hitting on a bunch of really important stuff.

Citation needed

EmanuelaBrolandi posted:

Petrol posted:

Politically its hitting on a bunch of really important stuff.

Citation needed

Going by the first episode, it's packed with references to current and historical strayan events, policies etc that are (or should be) pretty clear to locals. Like i said, id be interested to hear how well it all translates.

i watched the trailer and it looked overwrought and campy but maybe i'll give it a go on ur recommendation

aerdil posted:

overwrought and campy

eh. It's a near-future dystopian superhero story. it's bound to be a little campy. The trailer makes it look worse than it is tho

Sorry but I've seen dogs in space so I know all I need to know about Australian culture and film
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
once again all visual media is trash due to the necessarily collaborative social nature of its production. im watching vine compilations
what are your fav vines? do you have a top ten like all those annoying people on twitter seem to do?

(a show im watching atm is Jane the Virgin, very camp and has lesbians who have much more of a role than the gay male characters 10/10 for that alone)
ever since they took down the vine "big dick bitch dot com" i've been boycotting them.

edit: also riff raff's vines are very good so find a compilation youtube.

Cuntessa_Markievicz posted:

what are your fav vines? do you have a top ten like all those annoying people on twitter seem to do?

(a show im watching atm is Jane the Virgin, very camp and has lesbians who have much more of a role than the gay male characters 10/10 for that alone)

oh i love jane the virgin though we stopped watching after ep 9 cos wife said it was too silly and she can only enjoy when drunk. she enjoys how male characters are marginalized caricatures. i would never watch a vine compilation irl tho

i watched mission to moscow for the first time and it is like a parody of what rhizzone posters think — but made by a major hollywood studio. absolutely surreal to see "stalin did nothing wrong" filtered through a capraesque milieu, especially considering the vast catalogue of anti-soviet propaganda soon to follow
[account deactivated]

Guyovich posted:

i watched mission to moscow for the first time and it is like a parody of what rhizzone posters think — but made by a major hollywood studio. absolutely surreal to see "stalin did nothing wrong" filtered through a capraesque milieu, especially considering the vast catalogue of anti-soviet propaganda soon to follow

This post puzzled me for a few minutes. Maybe you're not old enough to know why......

hmm guyovich sure posts here more often when he's been probated from the bad place... intriguing.. as poster in charge of retention i feel it's my duty to bait him into getting permabanned
since our tactic of DDOSing reddit and SA to improve posting volume was such a smash success, I see no flaw in this plan
It's immoral to post on other forums. I can't prove why with logic, but it feels right to say.

aerdil posted:

hmm guyovich sure posts here more often when he's been probated from the bad place... intriguing.. as poster in charge of retention i feel it's my duty to bait him into getting permabanned

the d&d modding is capricious enough for this to happen of its own accord

im watching stranger things and its got that standard plot of the girl loses her virginity and she feels weird after and the dude is distant which i guess is feminist but wouldnt it also be feminist for her first time to be sex-positive? just for variety? i've never seen a story about a woman who lost her virginity to some dude in high school and it being awesome
i aint watching it but apparently the russian gov funded this movie about admiral kolchak lol

http://www.andrewcusack.com/2008/kolchak-film/

Comparing “Admiral” to the Western box-office hit “Titanic”, co-producer Anatoly Maximov told Reuters that the film “is a story of love amid extreme catastrophe but this time it’s not a ship which is sinking, it’s the entire country”.

[account deactivated]

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

i've never seen a story about a woman who lost her virginity to some dude in high school and it being awesome

You never saw it in real life either

new adam curtis film was on the telly last night

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04b183c

i went off him a bit and didnt watch his last thing ... but i'll probably see this

the last specifically political thing i watched was this:

I enjoy Adam Curtis' stuff. It can be a little 'pepe silvia' at times, but his style is so hypnotic that I get persuaded. If Curtis told me my whole life was a PsyOp i would believe him.
i feel like adam curtis is louis althusser for liberal children
i feel like adam curtis is louis althusser for liberal children
[account deactivated]
i downloaded the curtis thing and i will watch it soon i guess. his last one had a lot of great footage but the narrative was all over the place. seems like the new one is going to stick with pushing the line, also present in his last effort, that the failures of late capitalism is directly analogous to the failures of late soviet communism. this time he's taking the idea of 'hypernormalisation' and running with it. i haven't read alexei yurchak's "everything was forever, until it was no more" which is where the idea comes from i think, but it kind of looks interesting as an indictment of an empty formalism associated specifically with post-stalin soviet culture, and even though it's not written from a communist perspective it still seems like it could give insights into how it felt when things went wrong there. curtis's stuff usually glides over the nuances so i expect him to make a fairly blunt kind of observation like 'see how things went wrong for the soviets when their culture disallowed criticism of the economy? well it's happening here too, right now!!' i thought making western follies seem shockingly bad by comparing them to the soviets hasn't been cool since the 80s, oh well