Manganese is essential to iron and steel production by virtue of its sulfur-fixing, deoxidizing, and alloying properties. Steelmaking, including its ironmaking component, has accounted for most manganese demand, presently in the range of 85% to 90% of the total demand. Among a variety of other uses, manganese is a key component of low-cost stainless steel formulations.

Manganese crustal abundance: 950 milligrams/kilogram

Substitutes: Manganese has no satisfactory substitute in its major applications.

Edited by Lucille ()

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/5559

Metal Minerals Scarcity and the Elements of Hope
Posted by Rembrandt on July 9, 2009 - 10:53am in The Oil Drum: Europe
Topic: Environment/Sustainability
In August 2013, the Saudi cabinet approved a law making domestic violence a criminal offence for the first time.

That's a Great Leap Backward in the course of history.
Well, most manganesemagnesium is extracted from seawater.

At least have fun with this.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/earth/deep-sea-mining/

“The biological effects of mining are pretty clear,” says Jeff Ardron, a senior fellow with the Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies who focuses on how we govern the areas of the ocean beyond national jurisdiction. “In the area where you mine, everything is killed. Anything that’s alive in the path of these operations isn’t alive anymore.”

That’s somewhat less apocalyptic than it sounds. Most vent ecosystems are extremely dynamic—the vents themselves are constantly opening and closing and reopening somewhere else, meaning that the specific communities they support last, in general, 12 to 100 years. (Vents on slow-spreading ridges are an exception.) The animal species that populate them survive by spreading progeny far and wide to colonize fresh vents. The question is whether mining will introduce more variability than the ecosystem can handle. If mining is in a limited area and there are enough healthy vent communities nearby for repopulation, it may not.

“It’s a question of scale,” Thaler says. “If it’s one deep sea mine done once, or a few spread out over a long period of time, it will have a very different effect than if it’s a sustained, continuous operation that’s constantly putting pressure on the same vent system.” But it’s hard to be sure, in part because each vent area is so unique.

“It’s not something you can really infer; you have to go in and do the experiment, and doing the experiment is kind of a scary thought,” he continues. “The only way to figure out how the system changes in response to disturbance is to disturb the system.”

Edited by Lucille ()

http://energyforumonline.com/8876/history-world-coal-reservestoproduction-ratios-region-2002201/

History of world coal reserves-to-production ratios by region, 2002-2012

Source: BP Statistical Review of World Energy June 2013 bp.com/statisticalreview
do you have any figures on mead and mutton production
i remember looking at US meat data tables on the census statistical abstract area, and apparently lamb production in the us has severely dropped off and we basically import all of it at this point iirc.

really interesting stuff here: http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/
[account deactivated]

Lucille posted:

In August 2013, the Saudi cabinet approved a law making domestic violence a criminal offence for the first time.

That's a Great Leap Backward in the course of history.

sorry but i for one am glad that all those male victims of abuse will finally be getting the justice they deserve

tpaine posted:

i remember looking at US meat data

http://www.grindr.com/‎stats/05212013/production-levels-by-county.html

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0869.pdf

oh, never mind, it looks like it didn't drop off as bad as I remembered it.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0870.pdf

on the other hand, value per head for lamb is up 71%
A few more critical materials with resource life expectancies of a few hundred years:

Molybdenum- Necessary for high strength steel.

Beryllium- Necessary for virtually every modern convenience.

Edited by Lucille ()

[account deactivated]
Thanks for the link though, it looks useful. Just ignore my babbling, I store things in these threads for reference.

//

NATIONAL COAL COUNCIL
2007 FALL FULL COUNCIL MEETING
Hilton Washington Embassy Row
2015 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C.
8:30 a.m.
Wednesday, November 14, 2007

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/maprod/documents/Tran_002.pdf

The thing about Alaska's 5.6 trillion tons coal reserves is that they're deep below the surface and only useable for methane generation, not coking coal.

roseweird posted:

mustang this site pretty effectively replaces absolutely all of your posts on this topic http://www.roperld.com/science/minerals/minerals.htm

I think the main mistake he made is that recycling is already very high and most of that manganese production is covering actual losses.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I'm sending you messages on Hamachi, whats up?
[account deactivated]

Lucille posted:

A few more critical materials with resource life expectancies of a few hundred years:

Molybdenum- Necessary for high strength steel.

Beryllium- Necessary for virtually every modern convenience.

Ashketchum- Necessary for the taming and suppression of violent wild animals

in a hundred years all mineral resource mines will be filled with polycarbonate dust covered miners endlessly pickaxing rich veins of bedazzled flip phone out of the reeking crust of Old Earth to feed into the roving smeltspiders as tribute

http://www.isa.org.jm/files/documents/EN/Workshops/2011/Presentations/3_JHein.pdfRare Metals and Rare-Earth Elements in
Deep-Ocean Mineral Deposits
James R. Hein
U.S. Geological Survey, Santa Cruz, CA, USA
SPC/SOPAC-ISA International Workshop on
Environmental Needs for Deep Seabed Minerals
Nadi, Fiji, 29 November-2 December 2011

USGS 2010 reserve base & 2011 reserves (reserve base includes those resources that are
currently economic (reserves), marginally economic, and subeconomic
Nodule tonnage used is 21,100 million dry tons and crust tonnage used is 7,533 million
dry tons (from Hein and Koschinsky, 2012)

Lithium, Bismuth, Tungsten, Yttrium, Tellurium, Niobium and Molybednum are present in only trace amounts (less than 1000 PPM) in sea nodules.

Materials expended to make electronics are very difficult to recycle. Over time demand will shift resources from high recycling applications to low recycling applications as the latter run out of material.

Edited by Lucille ()

The thing about steel recycling (Electric Arc Furnace (EAC) and Basic Oxygen Steelmaking (BOS)) is that, apparently, it either lowers the carbon content each time or requires coal. And the recycling rate is already very high, exceeding 100% in some applications. Its not clear how much more recycling can be raised.

Furthermore it's not certain that the recycling rate will even increase. Rising costs of energy and coal make it more difficult, as does political instability in steel and coal producing countries.

And it may be that the steel we're producing now is necessary just to keep up with recycling losses. Given an average lifespan of steel products of 40 years, there might be a 20 year lag between when production falls and it becomes evident. So if peak coal is in 2025 then we'll really be in trouble by 2045-65.
[account deactivated]
That's one of the reasons I detest leftism.

Economist Robert L. Bradley, Jr. wrote in a 2007 article in The Review of Austrian Economics journal that, "n Austrian institutional theory is more robust for explaining changes in mineral-resource scarcity than neoclassical depletionism" Using the writings of Erich Zimmermann and Julian Simon, Bradley also argued in 2012 that resources have subjective rather than objective existences in economics. He concluded that, "what resources come from the ground ultimately depend on the resources in the mind."
[account deactivated]
That's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the enthusiasm leftists take toward destroying all remnants of marriage, civilization and value.

Don't worry though, you're a reasonable person.
once the 3d nanoforges come online none of this will really matter
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

i don't really see the connection

welcome to arguing with mustang

roseweird posted:

lol do you think i don't want to destroy marriage as an institution mustang?? because i do, i want to destroy both marriage and sexual reproduction and institutionalize artificial reproduction and a new collectivist form of the family (and i desire this even if that new society unfortunately retains sexual difference). anyway i think you overstate the destructiveness of leftists and are trying too hard to convince yourself you aren't one yourself

Having a lot more parents around would multiply how stressful and shitty growing up is for everyone involved. No wonder people hated that social engineering crap during the great leap forward. The left has a powerful argument against the injustice of private property, but then waste a ton of breath on stupid bullshit like how everyone will take turns changing diapers and communal eating will look like fatsos bellying up to the chocolate fountain at Golden Corral – because if you're not dipping your filthy fingers in with everyone else, you might just be afflicted with bourgeois ideology.

[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

i don't really think the institution of parenthood, where children are the direct continuation of their parents' flesh, as well as their ambitions and desires, is comparable to most hypothetical institutions of caregiving in a society where children are produced artificially by a centralized authority. also it's a fantasy to think that one can abolish private property without abolishing the biological family

This child is doing a really bad job at living out his parents' ambitions and desires, so score one against the capitalist patriarchy. And no, I don't think it is fantasy to abolish private property because there's no clear connection between that and abolishing family, and we don't need science fiction stories to help envision what a world without private property in society's productive forces would look like.

Society's productive forces are unemployed and arguing over the internet while jobhavers destroy the environment.
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

lol do you think i don't want to destroy marriage as an institution mustang?? because i do, i want to destroy both marriage and sexual reproduction and institutionalize artificial reproduction and a new collectivist form of the family (and i desire this even if that new society unfortunately retains sexual difference). anyway i think you overstate the destructiveness of leftists and are trying too hard to convince yourself you aren't one yourself

Thats more excusable because you're an actual oppressed person, you're not a college educated white male born to upper middle class parents like most leftists.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]