Crow posted:
Upvoted that review because i agree with famous white supremacist liberal, and imperialist, james wood of the new criticism school, and i havent read houellebecq

animedad posted:
i wonder sometimes if the destructive privilege thing is better than constructive privilege though. most earnest people think that their action is going to matter. well, people that have some fidelity to truth know that this is often bullshit, they're not doing 'the right things', hence the depressive loop of action-inaction. so what do you do? you can sidestep your depression and work the way you know how, knowing full well that, individual epiphany aside, you're probably doing the wrong things or else doing nothing at all.

i see houellebecq as a guy that creates a fictional world in which truthful action and finding one's own place is downright impossible. this premise is scary as fuck, and obviously resonates with a lot of the insecurities of young rhizzoners who, like me, have a grim view of the world and haven't yet found a way to make an impact aside from reading/writing. i mean, we're all posting on the internet a lot right? that's not exactly the mark of a well lived life. something's afoot, and i think houellebecq describes it well.

i had a discussion about this with my friend last night, and the conclusion we came to is that in the absence of truthful or meaningful actions, your human connections and taking care of those around you is the only worthwhile pursuit; of course, that is granted that actions truly are meaningless, which we are not sure of. i believe this is similar to what houellebecq claims

Crow posted:
I haven't read houellebecq yet, but isn't his sex tourism novel about how godawful the people who engage in it are, how weak and cruel and pathetic they are? And isn't there an optimistic end to it with a future utopia? I know I read THAT part. I'm not optimistic about liberal democracy either, but I'm not a pessimistic mysogynist (hopefully)

the sex tourism novel ends with the man essentially dying as a nothing because he is hollow inside. it's precisely about how weak the sex tourists are, but at the same time, it doesn't necessarily condemn them on the personal level, rather it calls it an inevitability of the market system. so granted they are weak, cruel, and pathetic, but at the same time, they are difficult to blame. i'm not sure where i stand but it's a tempting conclusion

Groulxsmith posted:

Crow posted:
I haven't read houellebecq yet, but isn't his sex tourism novel about how godawful the people who engage in it are, how weak and cruel and pathetic they are?

not really imo

though even if you take that away from it, i think that makes it impossible to not see it as virulently islamophobic

come on brudda, calling houellebecq islamophobic is a pathetic whine that liberals lob against him

deadken posted:
i want to put my dick in the black hole of meaningless aesthetic self-reflexivity. i write to expose myself for the feeble shallow first world idiot i am, because its the only sentiment i can express, and maybe someone better than me will come along and provide a meaningful antithesis to my vacuity

this is extremely unlikely at best

deadken posted:

littlegreenpills posted:
coincidentally that's what the examiner wrote on ken's cambridge admission essay. 300% true

oxford actually but yeah. other comments included 'while your assertion that the rector of baliol college is a 'field/texture of anuses' is interesting, it is also patently untrue' and 'historical evidence does not support the claim that ezra pound ever piloted a star destroyer'

lol. stuck up assholes, the lot of em

aerdil posted:

babyfinland posted:
also james wood lol (just lol)

yeah james wood, liberal and of the new criticism school, amazingly isnt too fond of houellebecq; i didnt post the article to express my agreement of it, but because its interesting to read the cultural elite opinion of the dude and theres a few nuggets of interest there

that article was some bullshit mayne

[account deactivated]
it was a character's reaction to an event in the book, as well as houellebecq's usual style of high-pitched irony. also it was like one paragraph lol, if we're gonna quote that, why not also quote houellebecq when he says "sometimes things in our culture get to a certain point where you begin to wish for an islamic republic"
it's de rigeur and boilerplate as fuck when a dyspeptic old curmudgeon of the ecole ancienne burbles and fumes "I suspect, hnnrnfnnnh, the Taliban have a fair point about Western civilization," on viewing the latest katy perry video. can we pls drop it
[account deactivated]

Impper posted:
it was a character's reaction to an event in the book, as well as houellebecq's usual style of high-pitched irony. also it was like one paragraph lol, if we're gonna quote that, why not also quote houellebecq when he says "sometimes things in our culture get to a certain point where you begin to wish for an islamic republic"

thats also islamophobic though

littlegreenpills posted:
it's de rigeur and boilerplate as fuck when a dyspeptic old curmudgeon of the ecole ancienne burbles and fumes "I suspect, hnnrnfnnnh, the Taliban have a fair point about Western civilization," on viewing the latest katy perry video. can we pls drop it

ya this. well put

katy perry is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

gyrofry posted:
katy perry is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

indeed nothing would make me happier than to stone katy perry to death with a stone.

the Lord works in mysterious ways
Nothing will make me happier than to stone kary petty with a bong. WHEREIN, Aleksey ruins her career NOT
why are you insulting katy pery? is it not right to hate islam? who hates islam more than a muslim

Impper posted:
why are you insulting katy pery? is it not right to hate islam? who hates islam more than a muslim

so pomo

islam is genuinely stupid tho
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Katy_Perry_Muslim

Impper posted:
islam is genuinely stupid tho

youre stupid

you have the intelligence of that parrot that t-paine posts, regurgitating one liners from pop culture you have consumed. you have no confidence and no moral or intellectual authority. begone
Rhizzone Project: Let's assassinate Katy Perry, Popular Recordeing Artist And Girlfriend Of English Comedian Russell Brand
please dont joke about violence against women
ya i was sort of being self-deprecating there My Guy. dont hurt ladyfolks
Stone her with ab ong.

babyfinland posted:
you have the intelligence of that parrot that t-paine posts, regurgitating one liners from pop culture you have consumed. you have no confidence and no moral or intellectual authority. begone

Wow awesome. Actually, ok, im gone. soon, see ya later fucker haha

littlegreenpills posted:
Rhizzone Project: Let's assassinate Katy Perry, Popular Recordeing Artist And Girlfriend Of English Comedian Russell Brand

russell brand served her divorce papers. sad if true. but true

gyrofry posted:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_Katy_Perry_Muslim

thank you

Impper posted:

Crow posted:
I haven't read houellebecq yet, but isn't his sex tourism novel about how godawful the people who engage in it are, how weak and cruel and pathetic they are? And isn't there an optimistic end to it with a future utopia? I know I read THAT part. I'm not optimistic about liberal democracy either, but I'm not a pessimistic mysogynist (hopefully)

the sex tourism novel ends with the man essentially dying as a nothing because he is hollow inside. it's precisely about how weak the sex tourists are, but at the same time, it doesn't necessarily condemn them on the personal level, rather it calls it an inevitability of the market system. so granted they are weak, cruel, and pathetic, but at the same time, they are difficult to blame. i'm not sure where i stand but it's a tempting conclusion

I just finished that book and I was idly reading the dust jacket quotes on the back cover and it completely gives away the ending of the book. Fucklord book editor people....

The book seemed to me pretty critical of Europeans and males and capitalism and modern western lwife more than anything else, plus lots of gross sex stuff! Not sure how it's mysogymnast or whatever. But what do I know I'm just a stupid marxoteen!

Also I learned in another thread that Islam doesn't allow stringed instrument music, on account of something some crazy dude said a long time ago! Seems pretty stupid to me! But all religions are pretty stupid if you take them seriously
[account deactivated]
Hrm. *shoulders massive stone*
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
The reaction followed an interview that Mr Houellebecq, who has just published the acclaimed novel Platform, gave to the French literary magazine Lire in which he described Islam as "the most stupid religion", and added: "When one reads the Koran, one is utterly crushed." Asked what he felt about Islam, he replied: "You could call it hate."

none of those are necessarily bad things tho

discipline posted:
Where can I find me a religion that lets me do whatever my conscience dictates? Sort of a, do as you wilt shall be the whole of the law gig? Something that springs from the health and vigor of this our end of history neoliberal world. Hmm... *eyes fall on a Dusty "Dick" Dawkins book*

soulless hedonism is the only ideology that makes sense for someone living in a capitalist state

islam is stupid. luckily, so am i
the stringed instrument issue is really overheating my brain here. "well what harm does it do anyone if i wanna strum the opening of smells like teen spirit over and over against for thirteen hours without stopping" "well why do you wanna do it so bad it says right there you're not supposed to are you such a little baby that you cant prioritize you think you know better than literally billions of people stop asking questions you immature little kuffart"

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

discipline posted:
Where can I find me a religion that lets me do whatever my conscience dictates? Sort of a, do as you wilt shall be the whole of the law gig? Something that springs from the health and vigor of this our end of history neoliberal world. Hmm... *eyes fall on a Dusty "Dick" Dawkins book*

soulless hedonism is the only ideology that makes sense for someone living in a capitalist state

soulful hedonism is better