futurology for the m-f win

mistersix posted:
good news everyone! finally, we have a tech tree. no more of this groping about in the dark.

(as an aside, for all of you computer-Game fans, youll be glad to know that it also reveals the release of dwarf fortress 1.0, here hidden as "procedural storytelling", in 2020)

this is really weird.. optogenetics in 2020? optogenetics already exists as a successful technology. "organ printing" in 2015 lmao so goddamned hard

the only thing i'm going to enjoy about the total destruction of the vast majority of the agricultural land in the first world by drought in 2030-2040 is starving bourgeois whites gasping "but... we were supposed to have the geotech" with their last breaths

shennong posted:
the only thing i'm going to enjoy about the total destruction of the vast majority of the agricultural land in the first world by drought in 2030-2040 is starving bourgeois whites gasping "but... we were supposed to have the geotech" with their last breaths

man could you make a thread about this??>> Sounds pretty important

2015 Rainbow cars
2020 The religion that's actually correct
2030 Printers that can print money
2035 Actual Everlasting Gobstoppers
2040 Poor ppl controlled by rich using RTS-like interface

Crow posted:

shennong posted:

its pretty much the most important effect of climate change from a human perspective and will kill us a lot faster than temperature changes or canfield oceans or whatever the fuck (altho those might finish us off). ill talk more about it in another thread that i will post soon when i stop procrastinating and write the second half, but here is a study you can look at if you dont mind reading a paper: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wcc.81/full (you can just skip to the heatmap things for various time periods to get a quickie idea of how fucked we are, keeping in mind that -3 to -5 is grapes of wrath style dustbowls), heres one for 2030-40

for something shorter heres liberal trot joe romm writing on it in nature

http://www.mediafire.com/?edqo2o7xnh374a4

holy lol @ that chart. just...fuck
[account deactivated]
hard to tell what color hawaii is but i'll assume things are mellow there as usual
[account deactivated]
thats it, i'm moving to russia in a decade. the ussr will rise ascendent once again with grain for all.
the best part is that the areas that get wetter generally will have more precipitation over a short period of time, stripping the soils and destroying crops, so absolutely everywhere gets fucked. ima pour myself a drink now
Science

Science.
now do one with genitalia
[account deactivated]
yaeh drinking water is an issue unto itself but it's nowhere near as signfiicant for population health as the destruction of, say, the majority of the fertile soil in the mississippi basin. it's really difficult to get people to deal constructively with models like those drought projections because the outlook is just so fucking bad.

basically all the data are saying that things are getting worse than expected faster than expected and the point of no return for soem of the worst case scenarios might be behind us (to put that in perspective the map above is for an IPCC moderate emissions scenario from the outdated, conservative report in 2007 lol). if by some miracle we haven't put enough inertia into the system to carry us into apocalyptic terrtory already, we have maybe 5 to 10 years to reduce emissions to zero. it requires soem serious cogntiive shit to take that map seriously and not be preparign to bomb pipelines
my only regret is that I will be too old to fight in the Corn Wars...
[account deactivated]
wat stuff?!? whats fyge. fuck you got evertthing

shennong posted:
yaeh drinking water is an issue unto itself but it's nowhere near as signfiicant for population health as the destruction of, say, the majority of the fertile soil in the mississippi basin. it's really difficult to get people to deal constructively with models like those drought projections because the outlook is just so fucking bad.

basically all the data are saying that things are getting worse than expected faster than expected and the point of no return for soem of the worst case scenarios might be behind us (to put that in perspective the map above is for an IPCC moderate emissions scenario from the outdated, conservative report in 2007 lol). if by some miracle we haven't put enough inertia into the system to carry us into apocalyptic terrtory already, we have maybe 5 to 10 years to reduce emissions to zero. it requires soem serious cogntiive shit to take that map seriously and not be preparign to bomb pipelines

*Nods* Hm. *shoulders tiny bomb*

[account deactivated]
Actually the Dark Ages were characterised by extremely static labour

shennong posted:
its pretty much the most important effect of climate change from a human perspective and will kill us a lot faster than temperature changes or canfield oceans or whatever the fuck (altho those might finish us off). ill talk more about it in another thread that i will post soon when i stop procrastinating and write the second half, but here is a study you can look at if you dont mind reading a paper: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wcc.81/full (you can just skip to the heatmap things for various time periods to get a quickie idea of how fucked we are, keeping in mind that -3 to -5 is grapes of wrath style dustbowls), heres one for 2030-40

Arise - the prisoners of starvation!

Arise - the damned of the Earth!

let’s get it together

let’s break us free

the world is changing

At its core

[account deactivated]

jools posted:
Actually the Dark Ages were characterised by extremely static labour

just another thing that sucks about The Christian Dark Ages.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

shennong posted:

two liters of whiskey and a hand-crank flashlight say you'll only be able to see the sun through a thick yellow haze of sulfur dioxide w/in a couple decades

also there's no way df reaches 1.0 by 2020

thirdplace posted:
two liters of whiskey and a hand-crank flashlight say you'll only be able to see the sun through a thick yellow haze of sulfur dioxide w/in a couple decades

it's possible, i'm skeptical that it will be done before it's too late and if it is i think it'll prob be done unilaterally and in insufficient quantities to make a difference. if it does happen ima lol tho because the next time we have a big volcano erupt theres gonna be famines for a year

im gonna punch the next person who says dark ages in the nuts

tpaine posted:

crustpunk_trotsky posted:
my only regret is that I will be too old to fight in the Corn Wars...

this is what tom calls his bms

i read this as ibs and was much funnier.

[account deactivated]
i know you guys know that website with that chart is bullshit but like what got me especially mad was when they said embodied avatars wouldn't come until ten years later for me because i'm so fat i need a second internet for that
Farming was the fall of man, this is even written in the old testament. When everything gets horrible the 1% of people who live will have a nomadic pastoralist paradise and everyone will be happy and die at 51 like they were meant to

shennong posted:

Crow posted:

shennong posted:

looks like stalin won in the end. rip, comrade.

everything in the past 60 years was just part of the plan.

babyhueypnewton posted:

Groulxsmith posted:
i wish brother adso posted here

yeah we need the happy liberals you run into irl like brother adso, duck monster, tias, etc to troll. otherwise it's just depressed liberals like wddp and they're no fun.

i remember duck monster constantly disowning me in a thread where i was trying to defend mao and stalin to evilweasel. talk about the ignorance of youth.

WASHINGTON—Saying there's no way around it at this point, a coalition of scientists announced Thursday that one-third of the world population must die to prevent wide-scale depletion of the planet's resources—and that humankind needs to figure out immediately how it wants to go about killing off more than 2 billion members of its species.

Representing multiple fields of study, including ecology, agriculture, biology, and economics, the researchers told reporters that facts are facts: Humanity has far exceeded its sustainable population size, so either one in three humans can choose how they want to die themselves, or there can be some sort of government-mandated liquidation program—but either way, people have to start dying.

And soon, the scientists confirmed.

"I'm just going to level with you—the earth's carrying capacity will no longer be able to keep up with population growth, and civilization will end unless large swaths of human beings are killed, so the question is: How do we want to do this?" Cambridge University ecologist Dr. Edwin Peters said. "Do we want to give everyone a number and implement a death lottery system? Incinerate the nation's children? Kill off an entire race of people? Give everyone a shotgun and let them sort it out themselves?"

"Completely up to you," he added, explaining he and his colleagues were "open to whatever." "Unfortunately, we are well past the point of controlling overpopulation through education, birth control, and the empowerment of women. In fact, we should probably kill 300 million women right off the bat."

Because the world's population may double by the end of the century, an outcome that would lead to a considerable decrease in the availability of food, land, and water, researchers said that, bottom line, it would be helpful if a lot of people chose to die willingly, the advantage being that these volunteers could decide for themselves whether they wished to die slowly, quickly, painfully, or peacefully.

Additionally, the scientists noted that in order to stop the destruction of global environmental systems in heavily populated regions, there's no avoiding the reality that half the world's progeny will have to be sterilized.

"The longer we wait, the higher the number of people who will have to die, so we might as well just get it over with," said Dr. Chelsea Klepper, head of agricultural studies at Purdue Univer­sity, and the leading proponent of a worldwide death day in which 2.3 billion people would kill themselves en masse at the exact same time. "At this point, it's merely a question of coordination. If we can get the populations of New York City, Los Angeles, Beijing, India, Europe, and Latin America to voluntarily off themselves at 6 p.m. EST on June 1, we can kill the people that need to be killed and the planet can finally start renewing its resources."

Thus far, humanity has been presented with a great variety of death options, among them, poisoning the world's water supply with cadmium, picking one person per household to be killed in the privacy of his or her home, mass beheadings, and gathering 2.3 billion people all in one place and obliterating them with a single hydrogen bomb.

Sources confirmed that if a death solution is not in place by Mar. 31, the U.N., in the interest of preserving the human race, will mobilize its peacekeeping forces and gun down as many people as necessary.

"I don't care how it happens, but a ton of Africans have to go, because by 2025, there's no way that continent will be able to feed itself," said Dr. Henry Craig of the Population Research Institute. "And by my estimation, three babies have to die for every septuagenarian, because their longer life expectancy means babies have the potential to release far more greenhouse gases going forward."

While the majority of the world's populace reportedly understands this is the only option left to save civilization, not all members of the human race are eager to die.

"I personally would rather live, but taking the long view, I can see how ensuring the survival of humanity is best," said Norwich, CT resident and father of three Jason Atkins. "I guess if we were to do it over again, it would make sense to do a better job conserving the earth's finite resources."

"Hopefully, the people who remain on the planet will use the mass slaughter of their friends and loved ones as an incentive to be more responsible going forward," he added
i will die in a no-knock police raid on my home, this song will be playing

the article in the newspaper describing my murder will refer to my home as a "compound"
[account deactivated]
trading water as a commodity actually hasn't taken off as quickly or to the extent i expected it would by now but a man can dream