You and that other poster should engage in a law contest to alternately free or not free some innocent criminal of some kind so that rhizzone can be mentioned in a conflict of interest thingie that they do
[account deactivated]
Forcing myself to read a boring thread is a conflict of interest lol

NoFreeWill posted:

I searched my library for Death on the Installment Plan and found this because of a chapter title
http://www.amazon.com/Conjuring-Hitler-Guido-Giacomo-Preparata/dp/074532181X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350007825&sr=8-1&keywords=conjuring+hitler

anyone read this it looks kewl

I remember one of the conclusions drawn in the book being that Lenin and the other Bolshevik were British sleeper agents

im readin Teh Map And Teh Territory by Michel Houellebecq + Umbrella by will Self which is an homage to 20th c. modernism and pretty cool + Homo Sacer + lots of freud for uni cuz im doin a course on psychoanalysis lol
trifles for a massacre is the best celine
justice: a one act play

da: this man is a bad man, he needs to go to jail!

pd: this man is a not-so-bad man, he needs to get not so much jail!

judge: hmmm, this man is going to jail and lots of it.

rinse, repeat, ad infinitum
[account deactivated]
teh
[account deactivated]
limit break reached
Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Wild

deadken posted:

trifles for a massacre is the best celine

yeah

i can't bother reading thru the second half of journey to the end of the night, it feels like all the cool parts are done
i guess i really just wanted to read a war memoir and a colonist's diary
my favorite part is when he's on the boat to africa. that part's great
my favorite part is when he;s filled with ennui and hates life

http://www.ep.tc/problems/27/
gahahahahha the best part of that comic is the aside about what happens to the marxist professor
its called two faces of communism but he really only looks marginally more sinister in the one with the knife and devil horns

[account deactivated]
i really like that song "missed the boat". it's catchy.
read the rebirth of history on the train and feeling healthy for the first time in six monthh

kinch posted:

read the rebirth of history on the train and feeling healthy for the first time in six monthh

that looks cool, i might pick that up. If anybody knows anything else good about mob dynamics and such let me know, i've heard that Crowds and Power is good and i've just ordered that

"Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd"

badiou's book is interesting because it is basically trying to describe in detail the process involved in something like tahrir square, but to the point of then describing how to go beyond a simple protest and turn it into a full revolution. like he says that at a certain level we all accept that such crowds are engaged in a sort of truth procedure and that we can easily recognize these crowds as the true voice of egypt or whatever, and by extension of all oppressed people. and he's like so all we need to do is find some way to have a sort of tahrir square moment that is transformed directly into a movement against the state in general by a sort of vanguard that can make a series of demands against the state that cause it to buckle into new forms of organization or something. and he admits this isn't clear, he's just saying it's how it has to happen logically, like he says it's not a possibility so much as a possibility of a possibility.

the problem for me is more what zizek might say to that, which is, don't afraid to be "big" - you can't just needle the state with demands, you need to be prepared to take power or else you aren't credible. but badiou can't accept that because his belief is that path has already exhausted itself. but zizek's reply to that is that the idea of acting at a distance to the state was actually the first to fail: councilism didn't seem to work in the early 20th century, while social-democracy and leninism both were failures in their own way.
im reading City Of Quartz but i dont know very much about LA so maybe im wasting my time. its ok so far

Makeshift_Swahili posted:

im reading City Of Quartz but i dont know very much about LA so maybe im wasting my time. its ok so far

If you’ve ever seen a movie you know all about it, LA is the conscience of western civilization

btw if you like the style but want something that covers more ground you might find more relevant, check out slum planet

Check out Escape from LA, also. very good background on LA, for noob ies (hey!! you were a noobie once 2 ya know..)

getfiscal posted:

badiou's book is interesting because it is basically trying to describe in detail the process involved in something like tahrir square, but to the point of then describing how to go beyond a simple protest and turn it into a full revolution. like he says that at a certain level we all accept that such crowds are engaged in a sort of truth procedure and that we can easily recognize these crowds as the true voice of egypt or whatever, and by extension of all oppressed people. and he's like so all we need to do is find some way to have a sort of tahrir square moment that is transformed directly into a movement against the state in general by a sort of vanguard that can make a series of demands against the state that cause it to buckle into new forms of organization or something. and he admits this isn't clear, he's just saying it's how it has to happen logically, like he says it's not a possibility so much as a possibility of a possibility.

the problem for me is more what zizek might say to that, which is, don't afraid to be "big" - you can't just needle the state with demands, you need to be prepared to take power or else you aren't credible. but badiou can't accept that because his belief is that path has already exhausted itself. but zizek's reply to that is that the idea of acting at a distance to the state was actually the first to fail: councilism didn't seem to work in the early 20th century, while social-democracy and leninism both were failures in their own way.

[account deactivated]
i have to return some videotapes... *never posts again*

kinch posted:

I recently finished reading the book of Leviticus.
http://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=gluten_free&find_loc=Winona%2C+MN
The daily show interview of Eugene jarecki, is good, jong stewart doesnt say abwuh once and then they talk about ending the drug war. positive mention of portugal. stewart does ask "why dont we just arrest more white people?" and jarecki says we already are; lol
[account deactivated]

Agnus_Dei posted:

I recently finished reading the book of Leviticus.

what did you learn

forget about the color of hibernian-americanos, read something practical for once, like about how to become a maoist urban guerilla in 1970s western europe

discipline posted:

has anyone read this? I think it looks good

too bad it's a myth: http://www.revleft.com/vb/irish-american-victim-t155526/index.html