tpaine posted:

Myfanwy posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

when you people try and talk about hipsters it's really the most hilarious shit. like the other day goatstein said something to me about unicycles and now nazbro is talking about fuckin' ponytails? man yall aint got yo fingers on the pulse of shit. ponytails? i can just imagine you walking down the street and seeing some random dude with a ponytail and vibram 5 toes shoes and being like "lol this hipsters"

uh, i'm talking about cool and real hipsters, not the kind of poseur hipster that you are or whatever

i mean, your bike has multiple gears and i'm supposed to take your opinion seriously on this subject? please bro

Um you should know that hipsters are just a vague outline of the cultural other for people who invoke them. they're no more real than vampyrs or lycans

but just as scary

from what i've heard the progenator of both lycans and vampyrs has come back to life and his incredibly powerful offspring are going to take over america

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

AmericanNazbro posted:

uh, i'm talking about cool and real hipsters, not the kind of poseur hipster that you are or whatever

i mean, your bike has multiple gears and i'm supposed to take your opinion seriously on this subject? please bro

i've rode a fixed gear for like 8 years lol you need to stop with this shit ti's pathetic

Its pathertic

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

i've rode a fixed gear for like 8 years lol you need to stop with this shit ti's pathetic

tpaine posted:

Crow posted:

That guuy is idiot cracka mon. Gimme here dem ifap fannyboy peddle boyshame

Myfanwy posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

when you people try and talk about hipsters it's really the most hilarious shit. like the other day goatstein said something to me about unicycles and now nazbro is talking about fuckin' ponytails? man yall aint got yo fingers on the pulse of shit. ponytails? i can just imagine you walking down the street and seeing some random dude with a ponytail and vibram 5 toes shoes and being like "lol this hipsters"

Um you should know that hipsters are just a vague outline of the cultural other for people who invoke them. they're no more real than vampyrs or lycans

just like you, i never really believed the stories, never believed they were more than stories told to children to frighten them or sell them movie and music. but then it happened - one cool fall night.

it was a dreary september night, 4am at the latest as the moon was still high in the sky, allowing it to fill the role of the now defunct city streetlamps illuminating the urban landscape i was traversing. i was out for a leisurely stroll, just out to get some fresh air and cop heroine, when i passed by an alley in which something, some-thing lurking in the shadows piqued my interest. upon peering more intently i noticed a lithe, skinny tall man, couldn't have been more than 105 pounds at 6'1, and wearing size XS kids gap jeans. he was rummaging through a dumpster, making a mess in the process as old tattered clothing were thrown and strewn from the dumpster and onto the street with great ferocity.

"Hey, Man!" I yelled, "Homeless people need the clothing that you're stealing for your shitty instagram photos."

...and with that he seemingly vanished in the blink of an eye - just a mere silhouette of a man peddling away on his fixie into the dark recesses of the night.

another incident i personally witnessed was when someone was incredulous to the claim that if you sit in a locked prius, whisper gotye's name 5 times into an empty pbr, he will then appear behind you and sing unrelentingly, making you tone deaf for all eternity - But! that is a story for another day *closes big book of hipster-tales*

AmericanNazbro posted:

Myfanwy posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

just like you, i never really believed the stories, never believed they were more than stories told to children to frighten them or sell them movie and music. but then it happened - one cool fall night.

it was a dreary september night, 4am at the latest as the moon was still high in the sky, allowing it to fill the role of the now defunct city streetlamps illuminating the urban landscape i was traversing. i was out for a leisurely stroll, just out to get some fresh air and cop heroine, when i passed by an alley in which something, some-thing lurking in the shadows piqued my interest. upon peering more intently i noticed a lithe, skinny tall man, couldn't have been more than 105 pounds at 6'1, and wearing size XS kids gap jeans. he was rummaging through a dumpster, making a mess in the process as old tattered clothing were thrown and strewn from the dumpster and onto the street with great ferocity.

"Hey, Man!" I yelled, "Homeless people need the clothing that you're stealing for your shitty instagram photos."

...and with that he seemingly vanished in the blink of an eye - just a mere silhouette of a man peddling away on his fixie into the dark recesses of the night.

another incident i personally witnessed was when someone was incredulous to the claim that if you sit in a locked prius, whisper gotye's name 5 times into an empty pbr, he will then appear behind you and sing unrelentingly, making you tone deaf for all eternity - But! that is a story for another day *closes big book of hipster-tales*

easy upvote

Myfanwy posted:

tpaine posted:

Myfanwy posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

but just as scary

from what i've heard the progenator of both lycans and vampyrs has come back to life and his incredibly powerful offspring are going to take over america

rick scott...

AmericanNazbro posted:

Myfanwy posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

please dont spread this kind of bogus fable, 1 downvote

tpaine posted:

Crow posted:

That guuy is idiot cracka mon. Gimme here dem ifap fannyboy peddle boyshame

hipster is the youthful access to highest qualitysex girls you cant even begin to understand, loser
[account deactivated]
Highest qualitysex girls fucktart. *grabs randome girl & points up legs* Locationj, location, location
*goes to the girl dealership* Lol

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

You should pursue this critique in your job writing for Girls.

Myfanwy posted:

AmericanNazbro posted:
EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

They're not really the "Other" though...most people who denigrate hipsters essentially occupy the same socioeconomic space as them

[account deactivated]
Sorry for the pointless Madoka post, I was drunk. I will try not to do that anymore.

I have been reading Christian apologetics, and I recommend them to anyone who is a Christian or interested in Christianity.

The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis is one I just finished, via audiobook (excellently narrated by Ralph Cosham). I found it remarkably powerful, to the point, and amusing. Highly recommended. Here is the text of the first letter sent by the devil Screwtape to his underling:

My dear Wormwood,

I note what you say about guiding your patient's reading and taking care that he sees a good deal of his materialist friend. But are you not being a trifle naif? It sounds as if you supposed that argument was the way to keep him out of the Enemy's clutches. That might have been so if he had lived a few centuries earlier. At that time the humans still knew pretty well when a thing was proved and when it was not; and if it was proved they really believed it. They still connected thinking with doing and were prepared to alter their way of life as the result of a chain of reasoning. But what with the weekly press and other such weapons, we have largely altered that. Your man has been accustomed, ever since he was a boy, to having a dozen incompatible philosophies dancing about together inside his head. He doesn't think of doctrines as primarily "true" or "false," but as "academic" or "practical," "outworn" or "contemporary," "conventional" or "ruthless." Jargon, not argument, is your best ally in keeping him from the Church. Don't waste time trying to make him think that materialism is true! Make him think it is strong or stark or courageous—that it is the philosophy of the future. That's the sort of thing he cares about.

The trouble about argument is that it moves the whole struggle onto the Enemy's own ground. He can argue too; whereas in really practical propaganda of the kind I am suggesting He has been shown for centuries to be greatly the inferior of Our Father Below. By the very act of arguing you awake the patient's reason; and once it is awake, who can foresee the result! Even if a particular train of thought can be twisted so as to end in our favour, you will find that you have been strengthening in your patient the fatal habit of attending to universal issues and withdrawing his attention from the stream of immediate sense experiences. Your business is to fix his attention on the stream. Teach him to call it "real life" and don't let him ask what he means by "real."

Remember, he is not, like you, a pure spirit. Never having been a human (oh, that abominable advantage of the Enemy's!) you don't realise how enslaved they are to the pressure of the ordinary. I once had a patient, a sound atheist, who used to read in the British Museum. One day, as he sat reading, I saw a train of thought in his mind beginning to go the wrong way. The Enemy, of course, was at his elbow in a moment. Before I knew where I was I saw my twenty years' work beginning to totter. If I had lost my head and begun to attempt a defence by argument, I should have been undone. But I was not such a fool. I struck instantly at the part of the man which I had best under my control, and suggested that it was just about time he had some lunch. The Enemy presumably made the counter-suggestion (you know how one can never quite overhear what He says to them?) that this was more important than lunch. At least I think that must have been His line, for when I said, "Quite. In fact much too important to tackle at the end of a morning," the patient brightened up considerably; and by the time I had added "Much better come back after lunch and go into it with a fresh mind," he was already halfway to the door. Once he was in the street the battle was won. I showed him a newsboy shouting the midday paper, and a No. 73 bus going past, and before he reached the bottom of the steps I had got into him an unalterable conviction that, whatever odd ideas might come into a man's head when he was shut up alone with his books, a healthy dose of "real life" (by which he meant the bus and the newsboy) was enough to show him that all "that sort of thing" just couldn't be true. He knew he'd had a narrow escape, and in later years was fond of talking about "that inarticulate sense for actuality which is our ultimate safe guard against the aberrations of mere logic." He is now safe in Our Father's house.

You begin to see the point? Thanks to processes which we set at work in them centuries ago, they find it all but impossible to believe in the unfamiliar while the familiar is before their eyes. Keep pressing home on him the ordinariness of things. Above all, do not attempt to use science (I mean, the real sciences) as a defence against Christianity. They will positively encourage him to think about realities he can't touch and see. There have been sad cases among the modern physicists. If he must dabble in science, keep him on economics and sociology; don't let him get away from that invaluable "real life." But the best of all is to let him read no science but to give him a grand general idea that he knows it all and that everything he happens to have picked up in casual talk and reading is "the results of modern investigation." Do remember you are there to fuddle him. From the way some of you young fiends talk, anyone would suppose it was our job to teach!

Your affectionate uncle,
Screwtape

See? Fun.

And second, Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton. Very funny at points, but I've only really just begun it. A quote: “I did try to found a little heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy.”

As for my Bible reading I'm 23 chapters into Genesis. Reading the Bible is slow and solemn, but satisfying. I take the effort to pronounce out all the names, and do not pass over any line. It is conveniently divided into short chapters, so you can comfortably take breaks and then return to it when you feel like. Though I've read Genesis (and up to Numbers) before when I was a teenager, I think I understand it better now, and am more able to deal with the things that previously set me on my course of self-destructive atheism.

christ knock it off your afuckin foil for ivan
this troper enjoys alyosha's posting
same here, i'l like to hear more about it.

we often hear of born again christians but it's rare to hear somebody articulate their thoughts through the whole metamorphosis

kinch posted:

christ knock it off your afuckin foil for ivan

Alyosha posted:

Sorry for the pointless Madoka post, I was drunk. I will try not to do that anymore.

I have been reading Christian apologetics, and I recommend them to anyone who is a Christian or interested in Christianity.

The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis is one I just finished, via audiobook (excellently narrated by Ralph Cosham). I found it remarkably powerful, to the point, and amusing. Highly recommended. Here is the text of the first letter sent by the devil Screwtape to his underling:

My dear Wormwood,

I note what you say about guiding your patient's reading and taking care that he sees a good deal of his materialist friend. But are you not being a trifle naif? It sounds as if you supposed that argument was the way to keep him out of the Enemy's clutches. That might have been so if he had lived a few centuries earlier. At that time the humans still knew pretty well when a thing was proved and when it was not; and if it was proved they really believed it. They still connected thinking with doing and were prepared to alter their way of life as the result of a chain of reasoning. But what with the weekly press and other such weapons, we have largely altered that. Your man has been accustomed, ever since he was a boy, to having a dozen incompatible philosophies dancing about together inside his head. He doesn't think of doctrines as primarily "true" or "false," but as "academic" or "practical," "outworn" or "contemporary," "conventional" or "ruthless." Jargon, not argument, is your best ally in keeping him from the Church. Don't waste time trying to make him think that materialism is true! Make him think it is strong or stark or courageous—that it is the philosophy of the future. That's the sort of thing he cares about.

The trouble about argument is that it moves the whole struggle onto the Enemy's own ground. He can argue too; whereas in really practical propaganda of the kind I am suggesting He has been shown for centuries to be greatly the inferior of Our Father Below. By the very act of arguing you awake the patient's reason; and once it is awake, who can foresee the result! Even if a particular train of thought can be twisted so as to end in our favour, you will find that you have been strengthening in your patient the fatal habit of attending to universal issues and withdrawing his attention from the stream of immediate sense experiences. Your business is to fix his attention on the stream. Teach him to call it "real life" and don't let him ask what he means by "real."

Remember, he is not, like you, a pure spirit. Never having been a human (oh, that abominable advantage of the Enemy's!) you don't realise how enslaved they are to the pressure of the ordinary. I once had a patient, a sound atheist, who used to read in the British Museum. One day, as he sat reading, I saw a train of thought in his mind beginning to go the wrong way. The Enemy, of course, was at his elbow in a moment. Before I knew where I was I saw my twenty years' work beginning to totter. If I had lost my head and begun to attempt a defence by argument, I should have been undone. But I was not such a fool. I struck instantly at the part of the man which I had best under my control, and suggested that it was just about time he had some lunch. The Enemy presumably made the counter-suggestion (you know how one can never quite overhear what He says to them?) that this was more important than lunch. At least I think that must have been His line, for when I said, "Quite. In fact much too important to tackle at the end of a morning," the patient brightened up considerably; and by the time I had added "Much better come back after lunch and go into it with a fresh mind," he was already halfway to the door. Once he was in the street the battle was won. I showed him a newsboy shouting the midday paper, and a No. 73 bus going past, and before he reached the bottom of the steps I had got into him an unalterable conviction that, whatever odd ideas might come into a man's head when he was shut up alone with his books, a healthy dose of "real life" (by which he meant the bus and the newsboy) was enough to show him that all "that sort of thing" just couldn't be true. He knew he'd had a narrow escape, and in later years was fond of talking about "that inarticulate sense for actuality which is our ultimate safe guard against the aberrations of mere logic." He is now safe in Our Father's house.

You begin to see the point? Thanks to processes which we set at work in them centuries ago, they find it all but impossible to believe in the unfamiliar while the familiar is before their eyes. Keep pressing home on him the ordinariness of things. Above all, do not attempt to use science (I mean, the real sciences) as a defence against Christianity. They will positively encourage him to think about realities he can't touch and see. There have been sad cases among the modern physicists. If he must dabble in science, keep him on economics and sociology; don't let him get away from that invaluable "real life." But the best of all is to let him read no science but to give him a grand general idea that he knows it all and that everything he happens to have picked up in casual talk and reading is "the results of modern investigation." Do remember you are there to fuddle him. From the way some of you young fiends talk, anyone would suppose it was our job to teach!

Your affectionate uncle,
Screwtape

See? Fun.

And second, Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton. Very funny at points, but I've only really just begun it. A quote: “I did try to found a little heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy.”

As for my Bible reading I'm 23 chapters into Genesis. Reading the Bible is slow and solemn, but satisfying. I take the effort to pronounce out all the names, and do not pass over any line. It is conveniently divided into short chapters, so you can comfortably take breaks and then return to it when you feel like. Though I've read Genesis (and up to Numbers) before when I was a teenager, I think I understand it better now, and am more able to deal with the things that previously set me on my course of self-destructive atheism.

i liked the man who was thursday i guess, but i only read it bc it was ref'd a vidyagame and i didnt know what else to check out

[account deactivated]
i started reading foucaults pendulum and im Mad bc i actually read dan brown back when da vinci code blew up and i could have used that time reading eco instead (protip: he owns!)
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

SHAUN!

animedad posted:

kobe, westbrook, & kd got it goin on

im reading the need for roots by simone weil. im also reading a bread pamphlet by thom merton

i watched Waco: Rules of Engagement last night

i never knew anything about it and didn't know of the sheer malfeasance, vengeance and cover-up of the government. It made me more sympathetic to the 9/11 Truther viewpoint to be honest

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

i watched Waco: Rules of Engagement last night

i never knew anything about it and didn't know of the sheer malfeasance, vengeance and cover-up of the government. It made me more sympathetic to the 9/11 Truther viewpoint to be honest

Aces.

actually at my old job the only guys I enjoyed talking to about current events or politics or whatever were the conspiracy theory people. none of them were actually unhinged they just knew that almost everything they were being told was bs.

The main thing I took away from it was just how shockingly effective the State can be to get so many people so complicit in such recklessness and irresponsibility. The American “FUCK the federal government!” viewpoint is crude but entirely understandable.

The FBI commander afterwards said about the fatalities “we were relying on the motherly instincts of those inside to come out with their children but I guess they didn’t care about them”, this after the feds gassed, shot and set fire to the building.

As well as taking down the Davidian flag and hoisting the ATF one as the compound was still burning.
i liked the part where the Davidians hung a banner that said "rodney king we understand" or something like that.

solidarity yo.
Other things

a) The feds shone spotlights at them all night and played tapes of rabbits being slaughtered interspersed with “these boots are made for walking” again and again
b) The Davidians buried one of their dead (from the initial confrontation) in the grass outside the compound, the feds spent the next day driving back and forth repeatedly over it in a tank
c) the ATF who organized the original raid notified a bunch of newsmedia that “something would go down”, yet failed to organize any sort of emergency health responde. When the shooting started, their comms were so shit they had to go to that Newsmedia presence to get them to call ambulances.

Also there was lots of footage from the congressional hearings and i can i just say that Chuck Schumer is a piece of fucking shit
yeah. schumer sucks.

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2010/06/11/102026/schumer-strangle-gaza-economically/

Schumer Says It ‘Makes Sense’ To ‘Strangle Economically’ Until It Votes The Way Israel Wants

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

The main thing I took away from it was just how shockingly effective the State can be to get so many people so complicit in such recklessness and irresponsibility. The American “FUCK the federal government!” viewpoint is crude but entirely understandable.

The FBI commander afterwards said about the fatalities “we were relying on the motherly instincts of those inside to come out with their children but I guess they didn’t care about them”, this after the feds gassed, shot and set fire to the building.

As well as taking down the Davidian flag and hoisting the ATF one as the compound was still burning.

Excuse me but grow up. Fbi is good usa good. Grow up and mature. Usa good

[account deactivated]