ad me

corey posted:

ww.goodreads.com/user/show/9962738-my-name-is-corey-irl

i like your taste. i dun have a profile tho

hey discipline i finished your PKD reading list. i'd always held off on reading do androids dream because i figured "well i've seen blade runner so what's the point." what a mistake that was--shockingly little overlap between the two

tbh i'm not sure i "get" flow my tears or how it fits in but the others were great, thanks for the impetus
pkds writing is full of lulz
one awesome little detail that stood out to me was his offhanded descriptions of absurd 1970s-futuristic fashion trends

The individual in the seat next to him, a middle-aged man wearing the gray pith helmet, sleeveless shirt, and shorts of bright red popular with the businessman class

Square and puffy, like an overweight brick, weaking his usual mohair poncho, apricot-colored felt hat, argyle ski socks and carpet slippers...

Over by the window G. G. Ashwood, wearing his customary natty birch-bark pantaloons, hemp-rope belt, peekaboo see-through top and train-engineer's tall hat, shrugged indifferently

the preoccupation with marketing and commerce is really worthwhile and prescient, too (imo)

t money LOVES pkd shes been messaging me on aim and facebook every day asking if ive read pkd texting me, even got my office phone number just calls and plays audiobook recordings of PKD books
[account deactivated]
im reading this awesome MSc thesis from LSE which has really raised that school in my estimation

http://www.scribd.com/doc/97939930/Untitled?secret_password=lfaphfmt8hjs0ioyq14#full
i got this email

DALKEY ARCHIVE SPECIAL SUMMER SALE

There are only 9 days left to take advantage of our Special Summer Sale! Act now and stock up on the very best of world literature: Save from 50% to 70% and get FREE SHIPPING in the U.S.* Sale runs through June 30, 2012.
Buy any ten books or issues of the Review of Contemporary Fiction for only $65, or twenty books for $120. This offer does not include Scholarly Series titles. To participate, visit the sale page on our website here.

* Free shipping is only available on orders within the U.S. Information on ordering internationally can be found by following the link above.

Dalkey Archive's special summer sale is intended to encourage readers to explore some of the extraordinary titles in the Press's backlist. Today we're highlighting the great Gilbert Sorrentino, whose books Imaginative Qualities of Actual Things, Red the Fiend, Aberration of Starlight, Something Said, Blue Pastoral, Crystal Vision, The Sky Changes, Pack of Lies: A Trilogy, Mulligan Stew, Steelwork, Under the Shadow, and Splendide-Hotel are all available in paperback. Below, Dalkey's Publisher, John O'Brien, talks with Sorrentino about his writing, in an interview from the very first issue of the Review of Contemporary Fiction . . .

animedad posted:

...Imaginative Qualities of Actual Things, Red the Fiend, Aberration of Starlight, Something Said, Blue Pastoral, Crystal Vision, The Sky Changes, Pack of Lies: A Trilogy, Mulligan Stew, Steelwork, Under the Shadow, and Splendide-Hotel are all available...

that's weird my local marijuana dispensary sent me an ad for the same

i ordered 30 books. klol. fuck me.i finally got my reading list thing under 50 -_-
muzzle thyself
dust
talking
THE FORM OF A CITY CHANGES FASTER, ALAS, THAN THE HUMAN HEART
the book of jokes
the laurels of lake constance
with the animals
WALASCHEK'S DREAM
a garden of trees
flowers of grass
the collaborators
PORTRAIT OF THE WRITER AS A DOMESTICATED ANIMAL
HEARTBREAK TANGO
MY LITTLE WAR
OUR CIRCUS PRESENTS
THE COUNTRY WHERE NO ONE EVER DIES
ANONYMOUS CELEBRITY
SAVAGE
THE MIRROR IN THE WELL
THEATRE OF INCEST
HIDDEN CAMERA
THE LECTURE
ROBERTE CE SOIR & THE REVOCATION OF THE EDICT OF NANTES
THE PRINCESS OF 72ND STREET
THE FIRST BOOK OF GRABINOULOR
QUARANTINE
HE WHO SEARCHES
ENERGY OF DELUSION: A BOOK ON PLOT
CONVERSATIONS WITH SAMUEL BECKETT AND BRAM VAN VELDE
A FOOL'S PARADISE
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

why is this forum of all places dead on a friday night

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
An hour-long video how WW2 and Cold War military efforts created Silicon Valley

Is gaddis any good

animedad posted:

Is gaddis any good

hes literally the best

roland boer is a beast http://stalinsmoustache.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/two-new-books-published/
you should read agambens stuff on christianty mang
stick with christy's stuff on christyanity

Impper posted:

muzzle thyself
dust
talking
THE FORM OF A CITY CHANGES FASTER, ALAS, THAN THE HUMAN HEART
the book of jokes
the laurels of lake constance
with the animals
WALASCHEK'S DREAM
a garden of trees
flowers of grass
the collaborators
PORTRAIT OF THE WRITER AS A DOMESTICATED ANIMAL
HEARTBREAK TANGO
MY LITTLE WAR
OUR CIRCUS PRESENTS
THE COUNTRY WHERE NO ONE EVER DIES
ANONYMOUS CELEBRITY
SAVAGE
THE MIRROR IN THE WELL
THEATRE OF INCEST
HIDDEN CAMERA
THE LECTURE
ROBERTE CE SOIR & THE REVOCATION OF THE EDICT OF NANTES
THE PRINCESS OF 72ND STREET
THE FIRST BOOK OF GRABINOULOR
QUARANTINE
HE WHO SEARCHES
ENERGY OF DELUSION: A BOOK ON PLOT
CONVERSATIONS WITH SAMUEL BECKETT AND BRAM VAN VELDE
A FOOL'S PARADISE

i have walascheks dream in my floorpile. look forward to reading it in 2014 or w/e

also state of exeption *does the terrorist fist bump with "tom"*
[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

give me some titles

edit: "mang"

stegosaurus posted:

babyfinland posted:

give me some titles

The Kingdom and the Glory: For a Theological Genealogy of Economy and Government is what i've read, but there's also its followup The Sacrament of Language: An Archaeology of the Oath and most explicitly The Time That Remains: A Commentary on the Letter to the Romans

babyfinland posted:

stegosaurus posted:

babyfinland posted:

give me some titles

The Kingdom and the Glory: For a Theological Genealogy of Economy and Government is what i've read, but there's also its followup The Sacrament of Language: An Archaeology of the Oath and most explicitly The Time That Remains: A Commentary on the Letter to the Romans

ok. do I need any theoretical background?

stegosaurus posted:

babyfinland posted:

stegosaurus posted:

babyfinland posted:

give me some titles

ok. do I need any theoretical background?

a healthy sperg-gland is all you really need, but heidegger, benjamin and foucault are (probably) useful (im not versed in them)

almost done w/ leaves of grass, read all of it on buses and trains pretty much. it good.

thirdplace posted:

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2012/06/08/what-books-impress-a-girl/

"Does the author wish to come across as a poseur for some reason, or attract a woman of substance? If his goal is (inexplicably) the former, the female contingent offered the following names: Madness and Civilization; The Power Broker; Žižek (any), The Brothers Karamazov. (All worthy reads, needless to say, but often used for ostentatious or intimidating purposes.) And, added one, “I like DFW, but he’s the novelist equivalent of a neg.”"

lmao. dear the paris review, how do i become dead ken

swampman posted:

The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes

i never read dis but i did read that sebastian faulks book that basically rips off the idea and constructs a massive epic homoerotic narrative around it

as a reading of ancient texts its an awesome idea but it does unfortunately omit to recognise the literal truth of god

deadken posted:

swampman posted:

The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes

i never read dis but i did read that sebastian faulks book that basically rips off the idea and constructs a massive epic homoerotic narrative around it

which book is this? i've read birdsong and while there was some definite war-time homoeroticism, it was mostly disgusting cis sex

babyfinland posted:

animedad posted:

Is gaddis any good

hes literally the best

for real? i was gonna buy JR from that dalkey special thing but it's long + postmodern which usually means zzzzzz to animedad

aerdil posted:

deadken posted:

swampman posted:

which book is this? i've read birdsong and while there was some definite war-time homoeroticism, it was mostly disgusting cis sex

human traces iirc. i enjoyed it but i was a literal trot teen at the time and didnt even know what a foucault was

animedad posted:

babyfinland posted:

animedad posted:

Is gaddis any good

hes literally the best

for real? i was gonna buy JR from that dalkey special thing but it's long + postmodern which usually means zzzzzz to animedad

my favorite is the recognitions which is more like a traditional modernist novel, kind of a true "post-modernist" novel rather than in the genre of postmodernism. thats kind of how i view gaddis generally, he is post-modernist but in the literal sense of the word. he is my favorite author and the recognitions is my favorite book, and i'd reccomend you read that first. JR will probably piss you off bc its lik 90% dialogue. its really funny and well written dialogue but if you have a problem with pomo mechanics then that might be an obstacle. full disclosure: i also like dfw, pynchon, borges, burroughs, stephen dixon, david markson, etc. so ionno

i totally abhore franzen, delillo, whats his name from mcsweeneys, etc

Edited by babyfinland ()