jeremy clarkson would probably literally wear a jacket with 'Hard Brother' on the back, like i do
im taking another creative writing class this quarter. is taking a creative writing class Hard. i plan to write exclusively about hard bros doing hard things
its a pretty god damn Hard thing to do. ayep. that reminds me im thinking of joining some writing workshops, think it's a good idea>? i dont think it'd be too healthy for me at this point
i dunno.... ive hardly done any writing since the new yewar, wrote 4000 words on a new project then instantly abandoned it which i think saved me a lot of time and annoyance so taking the class should hopefully push me to write more.... i find workshops always massively increase my self-confidence as a writer just because of how mundane everyone elses stuff tends to be... as long as its not the kind of workshop that rigidly enforces strunk & white i think its worth a go. although i dont know your situation, why do you not think it would be healthy
the streets are my workshop

seriously though i've got a good idea for a story but i'm a bit stuck because i can write vividly but have no idea how to plot or pace anything
i'm not Hard at all. drank too much whiskey.
i think i have the same thing iwc.... one of my stories in the last class i took was basically just a bunch of descriptive set-pieces with some streams of consciousness and pseudophilosophical nonsense about rats and cities chucked in.... it was v positively received but i hated it, utterly hated it
whats ur idea
a friend of mine had what i think is a really excellent idea, a story about users of that russian drug krokodil, at the end the grubby emaciated addicts unzip their skins and emerge as powerful shining crocodiles and make for a river dumbfounding the liberal types who had tried to help them..... he gave up writing it though, he said i could use his idea but somehow i dont think that would be Right
i want to describe in a realistic way that my society could collapse yugoslavia style and examine how the spoilt burghers of late-capitalism would react to it. no oil for the range rovers, beslan type school sieges in the suburbs, neighbours slaughtering each other etc.

apocalyptic, not post-apocalyptic speculative fiction, pushing the pressure points on current society until the whole thing falls apart
that sounds kinda kewl.... you could approach it from the perspective of a Normal Dude Caught Up In All This Madness i guess but that could be a bit formulaic, iono...... werent you reading world war z lol
yeah but like most apocalyptic fiction (which i've always liked and i think most people do, looks how much people love seeing NYC incinerated in sci-fi blockbusters) it doesn't describe how it would happen in any meaningful way. It was a good read but zombies are a copout, people are scarier.
anyway it's just an idea

don't steal it lol, even though i've already stolen your friends idea and written a book but set it in Scotland and it's called Krokodil Dundee, available now at amazon.com
i have this theory that the zombie apocalypse is the utopia of the 21st century, we're not capable of imagining a better society and all our libidinal fantasies centre on collapse..... its not so much a theory as a painfully obvious observation but whatever.

aerdil posted:
heres a lil' humor for the bros and broettes up in here

what non-kindlehaver fuckshit troll drew this

deadken posted:
i dunno.... ive hardly done any writing since the new yewar, wrote 4000 words on a new project then instantly abandoned it which i think saved me a lot of time and annoyance so taking the class should hopefully push me to write more.... i find workshops always massively increase my self-confidence as a writer just because of how mundane everyone elses stuff tends to be... as long as its not the kind of workshop that rigidly enforces strunk & white i think its worth a go. although i dont know your situation, why do you not think it would be healthy

hahah, shit man. i wrote 3,000 words today, 10,000 in the past 2 days, 20,000 or so in the last week. nearing the 1/2 way point of my french revolution novel, at about 45k words so far. i think with my writing, especially in a workshop atmosphere, i really get obsessive about how i'm doing and one-upping everybody else, putting a lot of effort into making good critiques while stepping back meanness, etc., and it wasn't a great mental space for me, even though it was pushing me to write like a madman. not that i don't sort of do that already

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
the streets are my workshop

seriously though i've got a good idea for a story but i'm a bit stuck because i can write vividly but have no idea how to plot or pace anything

it's not that hard man. open a book and figure out what some other bro is doing... i was talking to this airheaded guitarist the other day who was telling me that he doesn't bother learning the technical details, he just puts on music and plays along. he was actually really good . . . i think there's a lot to learn form him

im really Excited about my french revolution story, and the settings i'm doing and the arc of the story, the main character's lies, (the structure of the book is that he tells the same story with the same characters 3 times, but to different people). it might all be shit, utter shit, but it's been fun to write. its all dialogue too ahhe
i guess my point w/r/t workshops is i'm already self-obsessed enough without adding in the social gaze and reflexivity or w.e the word is of 10-15 other people, some of whom i start to compete with, some of whom i start to dislike, some of whom i want to bang, et c.

on the other hand, and this may just be the gasping of the light speaking, my sh*tty office job is really healthy for me because i couldn't give a fuck about anything that happens and secretly hope to get fired all the time. i expend no mental energy on it
i wish i could write with ur mania. i need more amphetamines i think. ive been writing this short Thing about my mexican roadtrip, its divided into four sections, hebephrenia, paranoia, folie á deux, and catatonia..... the epilogue, which describes me getting attacked in los angeles, is titled haloperidol....... i disgust myself sometimes
feel you w/ the one-upping thing though..... also the wanting to bang, though i think a workshop can be a good environment for actually doing that, iono, we could have a wildly passionate fling degenerating into mutual ennui and self-loathing, and then write about it and workshop each others vitriol
true that hard bro
"A thousand people pump their hands into the air to Cali Swag District, seemingly unburdened by the knowledge that nobody can be taught how to dougie, that the dougie is a road of self-discovery we must all walk alone."

deadken posted:

"A thousand people pump their hands into the air to Cali Swag District, seemingly unburdened by the knowledge that nobody can be taught how to dougie, that the dougie is a road of self-discovery we must all walk alone."

dont mess around w. my dogie bro

deadken posted:
feel you w/ the one-upping thing though..... also the wanting to bang, though i think a workshop can be a good environment for actually doing that, iono, we could have a wildly passionate fling degenerating into mutual ennui and self-loathing, and then write about it and workshop each others vitriol

i was in a workshop where i slept w. 4 out of the 8 or so women participating in it. it was gross, a pit of degeneracy, and i have no real way of describing my feelings as the semester wore on

did you write about it. did they.

deadken posted:
i wish i could write with ur mania. i need more amphetamines i think. ive been writing this short Thing about my mexican roadtrip, its divided into four sections, hebephrenia, paranoia, folie á deux, and catatonia..... the epilogue, which describes me getting attacked in los angeles, is titled haloperidol....... i disgust myself sometimes

that dont sound so bad br0. i was reading all about cancer drugs today and thats some kewl shit. thats not haloperidol but the name reminds me of them. its fkn terrifyin mate

as far as my mania goes, the book so far is basically Revolution shit, bizarre scenes, midgets, 18th century french trannies, bondage, obsessing about hte marquis de sade, repeating the same pathology repeatedly for 'theme', god it sounds so bad when i think about it lol. hopefully it Works

i didnt sleep with anyone in the last workshop i took.... they were mostly jewish though and i dont swing that way

deadken posted:
did you write about it. did they.

i honestly never thought to write about that until just now lol. one of them started contacting me the year after on myspace of all things and she hinted at writing something about the workshop and 'our time' (we first really got to know each other by swapping ipods lmao) and making a ton of references to the titles of the stories i wrote and it was creepy

deadken posted:
i didnt sleep with anyone in the last workshop i took.... they were mostly jewish though and i dont swing that way

for not only a goy but an ethnic goy like me jewishness can turn a 4 into a 7, a 7 into a 10. that's how it goes bro. youre a sexy race

also one of them got caught up in this weird cultish shit. we first banged when she for some reason was coming to meet some people near my apartments, and she was wearing a skirt for the first time i had seen her in one, and i spotted her as i was walking out of my place and barely even recognized her cus she was really bookish and weird and i never would have thought she'd wear a skirt, lol, but we got to talking and she started gushing about my stories and 'the way i carry myself in critiques' which was weird but long story short an hour later i was bending her over my dresser. huzah
WHY DONT YOU FUCK YOUR STUPID BRAIN INTO OBLIVION IMPPER
my brain sucks and is a piece of shit, i know
*makes collective noise of giant swarm of tiny bugs*

Impper posted:
also one of them got caught up in this weird cultish shit. we first banged when she for some reason was coming to meet some people near my apartments, and she was wearing a skirt for the first time i had seen her in one, and i spotted her as i was walking out of my place and barely even recognized her cus she was really bookish and weird and i never would have thought she'd wear a skirt, lol, but we got to talking and she started gushing about my stories and 'the way i carry myself in critiques' which was weird but long story short an hour later i was bending her over my dresser. huzah

nice. n0ice

ok heres some words i just wrote i guess, theyre from hebephrenia

Ranulfo Orozco was born in León, a drearily industrial city in Guanajuato State. He did well at school but not exceptionally; he had no illusions about going to university. Faced with the prospect of an unexciting job at the Curtidos Luber S A De C V chemical plant where his father worked, he joined the Mexican Army at the first opportunity. A few months training had him eager to go to war against the cartels; to his disappointment his unit was assigned to a roadblock in the 3rd Military Zone, on Federal Highway 1 between Guerro Negro and San Ignacio; he was a glorified toll booth attendant. At first in his frustration he tried to play the big scary soldier, meeting motorists with a lowered visor and a suspicious glare, acting the fascist, but that was never really in his nature. As he eased into the long quiet nights, as the checkpoint's corrugated-iron refreshment store and scattered park benches and machine-gun nests began to feel like home, he eased up, sharing a few jovial words with the few truckers passing through, carrying his rifle on his back rather than gripping it with clenched fists. Adventure proved an impossibility for Ranulfo Orozco, but he started to realise that he never really wanted it. Then, a truck pulled up near a checkpoint south of Ensenada and disgorged grenades and gunmen like ceropaline grubs from a spider's abdomen. Most of the soldiers on duty were sharing a cigarette, leaning against a tin wall, they barely had time to comprehend what was happening. After that Ranulfo was paranoid again; any vehicle could be a gift from the cartels, carrying bombs or insurgents. But nothing happened, and nothing continued to happen, and Ranulfo started to slip back into a comfortable boredom. When a Nissan Sentra - the interior fuggy with smoke and littered with fast-food containers - carrying four grinning young gringros rolled up to his checkpoint, he waved it through with barely a moment's thought.

Ranulfo Orozco saw me only once; I saw him dozens of times. Each time we shared a few words in broken Spanglish. Sometimes he ordered us out of our car so it could be searched, sometimes he waved us on. Often I asked him if I could take a photo of the checkpoint; he always smiled and refused. I can do Ranulfo Orozco the violence of writing his story, of turning him into an archetype, because I speak only English and he speaks only Spanish, because I was born in the first world and he in the third, because I examine other lives with a dilettante's indifference and he must do it to stay alive, because I am a (more or less) real person and he is a fictional character. Despite the FX-05 Xiuhcoatl rifle slung over his shoulder, I was always in a position of absolute power over him. Given all this, it's a wonder he didn't grab it at every checkpoint and pepper me with bullets. I'd certainly deserve it.

i'll read it tomorrow and not say anythiung interesting about it. i had planned to go to bed 3 hours ago but i started reading paris peasant. it isnt even a really good book lol
gonna have to operate on 3 and then 4 hours of sleep. i guess that's why they say "thank god for amphetamines"
i took an unexpected nap a couple hours ago so i think i'll be up for a while, which is good because ive started writing now and i reckon i can get a good 1500 words more out before i crash
go for it! ganbare!