Groulxsmith posted:
I'm very nearly autistic but if I'm going to be in a bar alone I can put away the bookish nihilist facade and talk to another person for an hour or so

there's a lot of things ur 'signifying' or w.e by going into a place like that and reading. it's sort of the point my friend

last night a dude jumped out of a car and beat the shit out of me and sped away and i have no idea why lol
its b/c of your posts
i read the death of virgil in a beach bar in cabo san lucas and like 5 girls came up to me lol. there are always freaks, there are freaks everywhere, and its a p good way of drawing them out
like martin amis said: You can’t go slumming in America, the slums will bite back.

thirdplace posted:
its b/c of your posts

i doubt that.

[account deactivated]
this man, reading a book in a bar instead of in his own home. he must have Something to say!
Who puts on a bookish nihilistic façade? I’m a bookish nihilist but I don’t want everyone to know.

Groulxsmith posted:
I'm very nearly autistic but if I'm going to be in a bar alone I can put away the bookish nihilist facade and talk to another person for an hour or so

you can do that on one night and the other thing on a different night

[account deactivated]
amazon needs to update the kindle so it has the cover of whatever you're reading on a second screen on the back

deadken posted:
i read the death of virgil in a beach bar in cabo san lucas and like 5 girls came up to me lol. there are always freaks, there are freaks everywhere, and its a p good way of drawing them out

Damn. That is Rock and Roll. Gonna replicate this since i've been meaning to read the rest of the death is virgil. May as well do it in The Owl

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
amazon needs to update the kindle so it has the cover of whatever you're reading on a second screen on the back

this is probably true but you can't be Authentic with a fkin kindle, mate

[account deactivated]

Impper posted:

I had that thought as well but my desire for books overcame my desire for 'authenticity' or a fetishist craving for the touch of paper.

Being a small, isolated country, our book publishers, like our car makers, have a racket of government protection to keep cheap imports out and books like most things are obscenely expensive. For all it’s cold, grey artificiality, going on my kindle and getting good books for under $10 is working out pretty well.

Impper posted:

I had that thought as well but my desire for books overcame my desire for 'authenticity' or a fetishist craving for the touch of paper.

Being a small, isolated country, our book publishers, like our car makers, have a racket of government protection to keep cheap imports out and books like most things are obscenely expensive. For all it’s cold, grey artificiality, going on my kindle and getting good books for under $10 is working out pretty well.

even if yer right you should still read a paper book. maybe som ehunbger games? hell yes.

i will never get a kindle. Never.
remember when there was that crazy argument on wddp about how you're a class traitor for not using a kindle. that was awesome
[account deactivated]
lol i remember that
T-Paine, you're my lawyer so I think you should know... I've probated a lot of people. Some atheist troons/lgbtqia allies in a thread about islam... uh... some humorless people maybe five or ten...
my objection to the kindle is not based on any logical reason just the fact that the thought of the thing turns my stomach, its revolting, and every time i see someone reading one i want to snap it half and smear the electronic ink all over their smug face

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
T-Paine, you're my lawyer so I think you should know... I've probated a lot of people. Some atheist troons/lgbtqia allies in a thread about islam... uh... some humorless people maybe five or ten...

...some faggot with a blog..

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

deadken posted:
my objection to the kindle is not based on any logical reason just the fact that the thought of the thing turns my stomach, its revolting, and every time i see someone reading one i want to snap it half and smear the electronic ink all over their smug face

i don't look smug when i'm reading it. it really does just function like a handy collection of hundreds of dozen of books you can take anywhere.

i've broken two and both times called up amazon and told them that "it broke" and the lovely irish call centre people shipped me new ones for free.

i guess ~~aesthetics~~ and all that but hey, i'm a pragmatist.

[account deactivated]
ironic pragmatism is the new hotness
its not even ~~aesthetics~~ really, im sure the kindle is real useful and friendly and shiny and pleasant but i hate it, hate it, hate it, fucking hate it
my parents have kindles and they are way cooler than deadken so im gonna have to come down on the pro-kindle side

tpaine posted:
ok tonight is a night of drinking and watching american pyscho

i just assumed that was every night for you

tpaine posted:
ok tonight is a night of drinking and watching american pyscho

catchphrase

my parents have kindles and they are way cooler than deadken so im gonna have to come down on the pro-kindle side
kindle side my paso im gonna have to comerents have way cooler than deadken down kindles and they are on the pro-
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
my parents don't have kindles and are probably marginally cooler than deadken in that theyre not cool at all
[account deactivated]