[account deactivated]
There are several layers of mystification, which is what makes it so difficult. I'm thinking about figuring out how to refine without criticizing (generally not something we're taught to do). Just making an initial statement is really hard because it's impossible to get all of it right (not the least because there are legitimate disagreements) and a collection of disparate facts is not a theory.

That said, that's not a bad start. I esp. like how it corroborates my point about the inextricable connection between finance and weapons manufacturing.

e:

This is one area where the problem gets really deep:

In financial jargon any amount or part of actually existing, material things in the world is referred to as a ‘real asset’, which can be bought and sold in the financial markets. This can include parts of companies, food, energy and raw materials, different currencies or interest-bearing loans. Roughly, this category can be divided into four types of asset: credit; equity (shares); currencies and commodities.

There are at least three parties to every transaction rather than two determined by "supply and demand". Worse yet, this includes the payment of wages, which gets Marxists who believe capital is a noumena or something really upset. A better term to use would be "tangible asset" because it implies an observer.

What is bought and sold are claims to things in advance of delivery/payment. They are like meta-commodities that are no less concrete abstractions than the "commodities-in-themselves". The issue here more or less resolves into the ontological status one confers upon mathematical entities. I choose praxis:

Graham Priest posted:
Mathematical realism is a form of mystification; and I use the word advisedly. Mystification occurs when properties that things have in virtue of their roles in social activities are reified, owing to a failure to understand how those practices function. Thus, as Marx explained, the exchange value of a commodity such as a loaf of bread is something it has in virtue of its role in a human practice: production and exchange. Outwith this setting, it would have no such property. When we fail to realise this, when we do not understand how the practice works, we take value to be an abstract and intrinsic property of the object itself. Similarly, because we fail to understand mathematical language in its context of mathematical activity, the terms take on an alienated and mystified meaning in the form of the phantom objects of mathematical realism.

The point about practice can be put in another way. It has been thought by some, Frege for example, that the existence of mathematical objects is necessary to guarantee objectivity in mathematics. Hence the objectivity of mathematics can be used as an argument for the existence of mathematical objects. But the existence of such objects is neither necessary nor sufficient for objectivity. An object (such as a signpost) is never sufficient to guarantee the concurrence of individual actions. A practice regarding its use is also required. Neither is it necessary; for the norms of a well defined practice are themselves sufficient to guarantee such concurrence. Thus, the rules of chess are quite sufficient to ensure that people agree on the moves permissible in any given chess position, without there being any abstract chess objects. Indeed, the situation would be the same if there were no physical chess objects either, chess being played entirely in the head. Which brings us, of course, very close to mathematics.

Far too many have unintentionally taken the Quinean route here and turned the practice of explaining what the fuck is going on into a very problematic practice indeed.

Edited by dm ()

Priest is a English-speaking logician btw. Who would have thought an English-speaking logician would help provide clarity here? This is from another book where he is making a distinction between the belief that some contradictions are true ("dialetheism") and anything can be true ("trivialism"):

...The trivialist believes that all contradictions are true. (Indeed, assuming that one believes a conjunction iff one believes both conjuncts, this is an alternative characterization of the trivialist.) It is often said by way of objection to dialetheism that if one is a dialetheist, one might just as well be a trivialist. This is a silly objection, as are most slides from ‘some’ to ‘all’. (Compare: you believe some things to be true; why don't you believe all things to be true? ) Nonetheless, even though this is not a good objection, the question of why one should not accept everything is one that an honest dialetheist will ask themself. The question is also significant for a non-dialetheist; I will explain why later in the chapter.

The question of how to justify the common-sense view concerning trivialism is, in fact, one that can be interpreted in different ways. For a start, we need to distinguish between the following interpretations:

Interpretation 1: We do, presumably, have good grounds for supposing that trivialism is unacceptable. What are they?

Interpretation 2: Suppose that you met someone who took everything to be true. How could you justify your position vis à vis theirs?

If the distinction is not clear, just reflect on the following analogy. I know that I have some money in my bank account. You have no reason to doubt my word for this. But you may still ask how I know. I can then give you the following sort of explanation: ‘In my last bank statement there was a certain amount of money in the account. I haven't spent that much since then, and the bank virtually never makes accounting errors.’ This is a perfectly acceptable answer. But suppose that I meet a sceptic, who is convinced that I do not know that I have money in my account; then considerations of the kind just adduced will not be at all acceptable. They will fall to the usual range of sceptical considerations. In the same way, Interpretation 1 takes it for granted that not everything is true, and just asks for an explanation of how we know this. But in a confrontation with a trivialist, the situation is quite different. One cannot, in this case, take it for granted that not everything is true: that, after all, is exactly what is at issue. A much more robust justification is required. This is Interpretation 2, and is much harder. Given the fact that the trivialist will agree with everything that is said, it is not even clear how to conceptualize the issue adequately.

he adds a footnote:

I often find myself being asked the following question: ‘Since you believe some contradictions, but not all, you must have a criterion for deciding between those that are true and those that are not. What is it?’ In reply I usually point out that the questioner believes that some things are true, but not all, and ask them what criterion they have for deciding between those things that are true and those that are not. The answer is, I think, the same in both cases. Nice as it would be to have a criterion of truth, to expect one would seem to be utopian. One has to treat each case on its merits, whether the proposition concerned is a contradiction or some other thing.

i don't know the extent to which that analogy is pure coincidence. as bad as this might look, we're at least doing better than when Cantor published his proof: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georg_Cantor#Philosophy.2C_religion_and_Cantor.27s_mathematics

Edited by dm ()

Not. A. True. Free. Market.

aerdil posted:

lmao i love it. right after some awesome von mises quote about how "men cooperating under the system of the division of labor have created all the wealth" (contrary to unrealistic utopian ideas about everyone deserving equal wealth by birthright, pushed by people who don't realize that nature is stingy and scarcity surrounds us), he explains that rich countries didn't get rich at the expense of poor countries, because wealth is not a zero sum game, wealth is created every time someone trades with another, and everyone is better off.

mistersix posted:
because wealth is not a zero sum game, wealth is created every time someone trades with another, and everyone is better off.

YES. THIS IS IT.

"ok, here is a set of things that provides utility"
"this is how you combine them to make another one"

Wittgenstein posted:
But why does it occur to one to want to make precisely this word into a name, when it evidently is not a name?--That is just the reason. For one is tempted to make an objection against what is ordinarily called a name. It can be put like this: a name ought really to signify a simple. And for this one might perhaps give the following reasons: The word "Excalibur", say, is a proper name in the ordinary sense. The sword Excalibur consists of parts combined in a particular way. If they are combined differently Excalibur does not exist. But it is clear that the sentence "Excalibur has a sharp blade" makes sense whether Excalibur is still whole or is broken up. But if "Excalibur" is the name of an object, this object no longer exists when Excalibur is broken in pieces; and as no object would then correspond to the name it would have no meaning. But then the sentence "Excalibur has a sharp blade" would contain a word that had no meaning, and hence the sentence would be nonsense. But it does make sense; so there must always be something corresponding to the words of which it consists. So the word "Excalibur" must disappear when the sense is analysed and its place be taken by words which name simples. It will be reasonable to call these words the real names.

the scissors of supply and demand are Excalibur. fucking Leibniz. OF COURSE IT ISN'T A ZERO SUM GAME! LOOK AT ALL OF THE COMMODITIES! MORE AND MORE AND MORE OF THEM

EXCALIBUR!!!!!!!

but really that is connected to something kind of fascinating about 0, 1, and more than one (being-nothing-becoming). an easy example is a sorties paradox: you start with a "grain of sand" and then add one by one until at some point it becomes a "heap". now Hegel tends to be charged with doing horrible things to both the law of identity and the law of non-contradiction, but at no point here do we do anything more than successively adding grains of sand.

they are certainly identical with one another as grains of sand. we are simply combining them until we obtain something that is not itself. we have violated absolutely nothing here that mathematics doesn't already permit us to do: x grains of sand = 1 heap.

we can certainly do the same with things that provide utility (for some people) and things that don't (for others), provided that we do not allow for interpersonal utility comparisons. we are doing objective, rigorous mathematics here and must use utility functions.

the price of a thing is itself a quantity (of money), a quantity of a thing demanded is itself a quantity of a thing supplied, exports are imports, etc. and then there's the "aggregation problem" as well.

Crow posted:
OK Lmao Graeber said, in response to the guy's denunciation of so-called 'Buffy Studies', that he actually started Buffy Studies with his paper, whats wrong with that? and also: "sure I hate him [Bono] too that wasn't my point. I take the autonomist view.. That capitalism is forced to absorb oppositional movements means we win too. Or do you think that feminism failed utterly bcs capitalists claim to embrace it?" vaguely equating 'indie' filmmaking with feminism. Come on.

in America or South Africa or Germany
Shoot Bono
on a Dusty road
in a back woods bar
shoot Bono

shoot Bono and live
shoot Bono and live

cut his throat
cut his throat

hang the bleeding heart

all you white farmers you hunters
and bikers
shoot Bono and live

calling for the Death of Bono
calling for the death of Bono

shoot him on a river bank
on the dusty streets of Jerusalem
some sidewalk in harlem

shoot Bono and live

chaz, that is
ahsaha

So we’ve created a society in which many young people see no chance of ever achieving middle-class status; then we look at their failure to adhere to middle-class values, and declare that there must be some mysterious force corroding our morality.

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
Took a test today that asked a question about growth and required a multiple choice answer. Deffo took issue with the nature of the question + answers ahahaha I'm such a babby

slowly the world comes to represent its political structure

one can follow Godel and object to the multiple choice on the grounds that it is undecidable

Edited by dm ()

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/10/business/global/breakthrough-on-austerity-cuts-clears-way-for-greek-deal.html

ATHENS — After days of dramatic talks, Greek political leaders reached a deal on Thursday to support a package of harsh austerity measures demanded by Greece’s financial backers in return for the country’s latest bailout.

The deal is expected to unlock €130 billion, or $172 billion, in new loans and save Greece from a potentially disastrous default.

Talks between Prime Minister Lucas D. Papademos and the three leaders backing his coalition had stalled overnight over proposed cuts to pensions, but on Thursday leaders said they had found a way of plugging the €300 million shortfall by cutting defense spending and other expenditures.

A statement issued by the prime minister’s office on Thursday afternoon confirmed that the government and its creditors had an agreement. “Talks between the government and the troika on the issue, which had remained open for further elaboration and discussion, concluded successfully this morning,” the statement said. “As is well-known, the program accompanies the new loan deal with which Greece is to receive €130 billion in funding.”

After more than seven hours, talks had stalled early Thursday between Mr. Papademos and the three political leaders in his government, who agreed on a range of steep wage cuts and public sector layoffs. But the politically unpopular pension cuts had proven most thorny.

Once the deal is finalized and the measures are approved by the Greek Parliament in the coming days, the lenders are expected to begin releasing to Greece the aid it needs to prevent a default when its next debt payment comes due on March 20.

The deal is also expected to pave the way for a bond swap under which private investors would take losses of as much as 70 percent — a deal that must be completed well before the debt comes due.

Finance Minister Evangelos Venizelos of Greece was to brief his counterparts in Brussels later Thursday.

The leaders appear to have agreed to one of the most unpopular austerity measures, a 22 percent reduction in the minimum wage, to €586 a month, according to an earlier statement by the prime minister’s office.

That cut is expected to affect all salaried workers, because the base wage is used as a benchmark by employers.

But Mr. Samaras, of New Democracy, said the talks had foundered over cuts to pensions. Mr. Karatzaferis, whose populist, hard-right former opposition party has been losing ground with voters since it joined the government, said he would support Mr. Samaras to prevent proposed cuts to supplementary pensions.

Analysts suggested that the coalition partners were seeking to avoid blame for the agreement in hopes of leaving Mr. Papademos as the principal target of public anger.

Jean-Claude Juncker, the prime minister of Luxembourg, who heads a group of euro zone finance ministers, had scheduled a ministerial meeting for Thursday that he had previously said he would call only if Athens were ready to sign off on the plan.

Even that meeting would not be the final word. But it would allow for preparations for a bond swap under which private investors would take losses of as much as 70 percent, according to one person briefed on discussions who agreed to describe them only if the person were not identified.

Some details of the bailout remained unclear, but it appeared increasingly likely that the European Central Bank would agree to forgo at least some of its potential profits on Greek bonds, once the government in Athens had agreed to the austerity measures.

hahah, a reduction to the minimum wage, theyre not even attempting to make it look like its about the government budget
Bloomberg
Euro Decision on Greek Aid Deferred to Keep Pressure on Athens
February 09, 2012, 1:27 PM EST

Feb. 9 (Bloomberg) -- European finance chiefs are set to defer ratifying a 130 billion-euro ($173 billion) rescue for Greece, pressing the government in Athens to put a newly struck austerity plan into action.

“It’s up to the Greek government by concrete actions -- through legislation, other actions -- to convince its European partners that the second program can be made to work,” European Union Economic and Monetary Affairs Commissioner Olli Rehn said today as he arrived for an emergency meeting of euro-area finance ministers in Brussels.

European stocks rose for the first time in four days and the euro reached a two-month high against the dollar as the accord in Athens after all-night talks spurred optimism over enactment of the financial lifeline and debt-swap agreement needed for Greece to dodge default and economic collapse.

“There is clearly some very encouraging news coming out of Athens,” International Monetary Fund chief Christine Lagarde told reporters in Brussels today before the meeting. “It’s positive.”

aerdil posted:
david graeber rocking the new balances & the cargo pants

not sure if i like his look more than zizeks snotty tshirts

jesus this is disgusting hahah

http://www.jourdan.ens.fr/levy/dle2012f.pdf

aerdil posted:
hahah, a reduction to the minimum wage, theyre not even attempting to make it look like its about the government budget

both serve to lower unit labor costs

http://www.economonitor.com/rebeccawilder/2012/02/08/the-unfounded-obsession-with-greek-minimum-wages/

Only in 2011 do Greece’s policies stick out when monthly minimum wage as a proportion of average monthly earnings surged to 50.1%. However, simple calculations demonstrate that for Greece the higher 2011 ratio of minimum wage to average monthly earnings was largely a function of falling average monthly earnings, -18.7%, rather than the rise in the minimum wage, +0.8%.

Edited by dm ()

FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR FEAR

Papademos posted:
A disorderly default would plunge our country in a disastrous adventure. It would create conditions of uncontrolled economic chaos and social explosion...this is an hour of historic responsibility.

e: here we go

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/world/europe/greeks-start-48-hour-strike-after-austerity-measures.html

“It goes without saying that whoever disagrees and does not vote for the new program cannot stay in the government,” he said in a televised speech to his cabinet following the resignation of several ministers and their deputies.

Mr. Papademos went to some lengths to explain in his speech the terrible repercussions of a disorderly default. “It would create conditions of uncontrolled economic chaos and a social explosion,” he said. “The state would be unable to pay wages and pensions and cover basic operational costs such as those of hospitals and schools.”

Imports of basic goods like fuel and medicine might become prohibitively expensive, he said, and businesses would close down en masse. “The living standard of Greeks would collapse and the country would be dragged into a spiral of recession, instability, umemployment and misery,” he said. “All these developments would lead, sooner or later, to Greece’s exit from the eurozone.”

if only you bluff hard enough....

Edited by dm ()

its cool that he's threatening that if the bailout doesnt pass then greeks would be pulled into recession, unemployment, and political instability
[account deactivated]
david graeber doesn't wear underpants.....
ahahhaha i love the unelected prime minister telling people they cant be in government if they dont agree w/ his plan. whats not to love about technocracy
this is impressive

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/10/greece-idUSL5E8DA2IJ20120210

Some protesters compared Greece's plight, facing bankruptcy unless it accedes to the demands of international lenders, to its seven years under military dictatorship.

On Syntagma Square in central Athens, songs from the struggle in the 1960s and 1970 against a junta of colonels boomed out over loudspeakers.

Police said three policemen and two protesters were slightly injured in clashes. Five people were detained.

With Greece probably at its lowest ebb since the junta was overthrown in 1974 and democracy restored, protesters denounced the "troika" of lenders - the European Commission, European Central Bank and International Monetary Fund.

"Do not bow your heads! Resist!" They chanted. "No to layoffs! No to salary cuts! No to pension cuts!

Analysts say only a breakdown of party discipline can sink the package in parliament, where the coalition has a huge majority.

"There will most likely be a string of defections and abstentions but I don't believe that the measures will fall short of the majority required," political analyst George Sefertzis told Reuters.

notice that the comparison is not disputed and they just move on to the analyst

http://whenthecrisishitthefan.com/2012/02/10/rebel-police/

I just read this announcement by the National Union of Employees in the Police. It’s soooo strange to read something like this. I think the policemen have started to think of the “next day”. It seems that less and less people believe in the course Greece has taken and more and more people are trying to find a place for themselves in the next status quo. It remains to see this change of stance in tomorrow demonstration as well on Sunday’s evening gathering at Syntagma.
The letter is addressed to the representatives of the European Commission, the International Monetary Fund and the European Central Bank.

The interests of creditors of usurious loans and capitalists who covet our national wealth, can not in any rule of law be put in priority over the basic needs of people. Moreover, the priority of survival of a nation’s citizens, has been legitimized as a priority not only in domestic policy but also in the international community. Moreover, we, nor the majority of the people, are not those who caused this crisis.Because, however, we find once again that you continue the same destructive policies for all of us, we would like to state categorically that under no circumstances we will accept being put to be killed with our brothers.

Be warned as legitimate representatives of the Greek police that we will require to be issued directly to statutory orders to arrest you for a host of violations of the legislation, the act of committing a hearing in accordance with specific provisions of the Greek penal law, such as extortion, the covert promoting elimination or reduction of our democratic polity and national sovereignty, the interference of other essential legal goods of the Greek people, etc.

dm posted:

incredible physical comedy at 38 seconds

aerdil posted:

http://whenthecrisishitthefan.com/2012/02/10/rebel-police/

I just read this announcement by the National Union of Employees in the Police. It’s soooo strange to read something like this. I think the policemen have started to think of the “next day”. It seems that less and less people believe in the course Greece has taken and more and more people are trying to find a place for themselves in the next status quo. It remains to see this change of stance in tomorrow demonstration as well on Sunday’s evening gathering at Syntagma.
The letter is addressed to the representatives of the European Commission, the International Monetary Fund and the European Central Bank.

two men stand together on a train station, far apart enough to signal that theyre strangers. one is reading, newspaper hiding his face, and the other is watching a train pull into the station.

'say' the watching man says to the reading man, 'd'you happen to know what train that is?'

'its the nationalism train' the other man says. lowering his newspaper, it is revealed that the man is mussolini. he continues 'and its just on time'

jools posted:

dm posted:

lmao

jools posted:

dm posted:

hahahaha

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]