[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
at risk of annoying everyone by reigniting this conversation, i must respond.

conec, you appear to have read bell hooks' piece and entirely missed the point. i am not surprised as it is almost precisely the point i made (albeit less elegantly).

bh posted:

The sexist, misogynist, patriarchal ways of thinking and behaving that are glorified in gangsta rap are a reflection of the prevailing values in our society, values created and sustained by white supremacist capitalist patriarchy...

To see gangsta rap as a reflection of dominant values in our culture ... does not mean that a rigorous feminist critique of the sexist and misogyny expressed in this music is not needed. Without a doubt black males, young and old, must be held politically accountable for their sexism. Yet this critique must always be contextualized or we risk making it appear that the behaviors this thinking supports and condones,--rape, male violence against women, etc.-- is a black male thing.

i rejected your position on precisely these grounds. and when i confronted you with the notion that it is racist to single rap out for criticism while ignoring misogyny in other genres and throughout culture, your response was simply to assert that you're not a racist and hold to the position that rap is a special case.

conec posted:

my only point was, and still is, that the bulk of rappers demean women through their media. it was silly to ever pretend as though that's not an issue, or to deny the prevalence of that problem.

exactly, that was your only point, to assert that rap is misogynistic and leave that hanging. even if your position was correct, without context and critique your argument lends itself only to the perpetuation of capitalist white supremacist views. if, as a white woman speaking to a group of afaik all white men, you feel you have something useful and not superficially racist to contribute, then by all means, keep posting.

conec posted:

it was sexist to hurl vicious insults at me for it, too.

lol, no

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
it's hard to say if we treat you differently because you're a woman or differently because you're conec, since we only ever have one woman poster at a time. i don't know why, it's so fun here
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
wait does liking twin peaks mean you're sexist now?

anyway if you have any actual evidence of a rhizzone poster sexually harassing you here or anywhere else you can let me know.
[account deactivated]

conec posted:

drwhat posted:
wait does liking twin peaks mean you're sexist now?

anyway if you have any actual evidence of a rhizzone poster sexually harassing you here or anywhere else you can let me know.

i deactivated my ask.fm a while after that incident i mentioned. i did post screenshots. i don`t care to dig up this crap from the past. i have no reason to let you know unless you are mod and you will ifap people - i`m not a regular poster anyway, though.

and yes, twin peaks is designed to indulge men`s subconscious desires of domination. it`s a trendy, cool, well-stylized series. popular for obvious reasons. still garbage

i am the admin now (there were threads about this), lol, i'm not asking for personal interest. sorry for not making this clear, i thought all fifteen of the posters here knew

twin peaks isn't trendy or cool?? is it? i mean there is that new series but it'll probably be terrible. the old one is 25 years old and no one cares about it except old weirdos, it's deliberately done in a surreal soap opera style that has no connection to reality and the main character is deliberately and completely desexualized. yes the women are mostly depicted in a regressive way but comparing it to the soap operas in its time that it was directly imitating it is pretty much spot on. all the characters, men and women, aside from Agent Cooper, are unhinged caricatures. isn't that the point

[account deactivated]
ok, yes. but that seems like a really random pop culture thing to focus on and clearly argue that it's sexist (which i agreed it is). kind of like focusing on rap. like why focus on these specific examples? it's the entire system that's sexist (and racist, and capitalist), every bit of pop culture created inside the system is going to be similarly skewed. i think that's what other people were trying to argue itt, it's a waste of effort to be angry at the individual examples of sexism, which are just symptoms of the overall universal problem of Sexism Everywhere. there are many black woman writers other than bell hooks that are very strongly feminist and also wish white people would shut up about rap, for more or less this reason.

otoh now we're just devolving into identity intersectionalist left internecine squabbling which is exactly what focusing on identity over class does so maybe i'll just shut up.

let's agree on the edgy stance that sexism is bad.

conec posted:

call me racist over it, stupid and racist, a teenager, and not well read. but you wouldn`t have said that to any male poster who would make a similar a claim.

if anyone else was dumb enough to say what you have been saying about rap - ad nauseam, apropos nothing - i would attack them equally. it's not because you are a woman and it's not because you are a shitposter, it's because you frequently say really problematic things and refuse to examine your position when challenged. hell, if you at least tried to back up your terrible opinions with something approaching marxist analysis or just plain ol' critical thought, that would be a huge improvement. just for gods sake, please try to remember you're white and bourgeois and should be accordingly self-critical when forming opinions on things such as minority cultures of which you have never been part. tia

i've always considered conec one of my closest friends despite having never talked to her privately nor having the desire to do so, finding her posting persona extremely annoying with terrible aesthetic opinions, and openly and disdainfully mocking each other on a public forum. that kind of comradery is what the rhizzone was created for.
[account deactivated]
shes got us there, we've had nothing but love and good will towards other irritating and incessant posters like methlabretriever and mustang
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

conec posted:

my cosmetics thread had over 100 pages in 1/3 the lifespan that this thread has had.

if this was the cosmetics thread we wouldnt have a problem because i tend not to stick my nose in when i have no idea about the topic at hand

anyway kendrick's grammys performance was fucking great

[account deactivated]
he put it on vimeo and i saw someone post it elsewehre.
rap is tearing us apart!!!!
[account deactivated]

gyrofry posted:

rap is tearing us apart!!!!

http://www91.zippyshare.com/v/hmV2iili/file.html

conec posted:

the series isn`t a statement about anything being bad - it`s just depraved artist bullshit.

well yeah its david lynch, a stupid director

fight misogyny

conec posted:

the series isn`t a statement about anything being bad - it`s just depraved artist bullshit.

how can you be so sure? you're the only person I've ever seen try to suggest that all the stuff you described is supposed to do anything except elicit nigh unbearable visceral revulsion. If you have any better reasoning for why this isn't the case I'd genuinely like to hear it, not trying to be mean or discount what you're saying or anything; just that what you're describing seems much more incongruous with say Blue Velvet or Lost Highway than the way I've always read the series. I can't imagine anyone begin genuinely titillated by those movies without being a strtaight up psychopath

re. rap I think it's as a whole extremely misogynistic but far from being so in a way over and above other popular music it is so to precisely the same extent as other popular music, and because it is popular music, and it's all constituted and informed by the exact same toxic misogynist culture of a sick society. It just doesn't stop me from appreciating rap wholesale, just as the misogyny in other genres of music doesn't stop me from appreciating that kind of music either. I don't think it's particularly unique or distinctive in its misogyny, maybe a more vulgar manifestation of it if anything, but it's there in virtually all popular music and culture for that matter.
I'd also argue that c*nt is an awful awful misogynist slur and more or less constitutes hate speech when coming out of a man's mouth but then id have to wrastle tuppins and all the overseas folk

Edited by chickeon ()

tbh men's interest in Mulholland Drive is probably not intellectual or engaging with Lynch's work at all but more to do with the sexy lesbian babes
I just watch lost highway for r. Loggia, pbuh
why would a bell need hooks. it would need like one hook tops

animedad posted:

tbh men's interest in Mulholland Drive is probably not intellectual or engaging with Lynch's work at all but more to do with the sexy lesbian babes

that's the worst part and the grossest thing lynch has done and the only thing of his I'd say is supposed to be genuinely erotic or whatever. I like the movie but i've skipped that part on every rewatch

the capital reading group has been going pretty well. had some pretty major attrition (down from 35 initial signups to 15 regulars) but i think the discussions have improved quite a bit, the contrarians and egotists pretty much got bored and the holdouts are genuinely interested in engaging the material. they voted to pare things down to meeting for two hours once every two weeks, as people were finding it tough to make weekly meetings-- if (when) I do this again I'll definitely bear this in mind, if people missed a session or two they had a tough time catching up. I also started running things more like a formal classroom lecture, a discussion format tended to turn into me giving disorganized explanations and reading verbatim from Harvey and repeating myself. now I have pre-prepared notes and handy examples queued up. the group all said the new format was much better and we have a discussion at the end of the second hour. once we finish i'll try to condense my notes and diagrams/images/youtube links into a classroom guide so other people can use the material

getting over the major hump of understanding parts I- III is done and things are cruising along. I'm really enjoying it!!
that rules, you're doing the lorde's work

chickeon posted:

animedad posted:

that's the worst part and the grossest thing lynch has done and the only thing of his I'd say is supposed to be genuinely erotic or whatever. I like the movie but i've skipped that part on every rewatch

I cringed a bit when I submitted that post, because it might be really obvious, and I have little basis for it other than my own feelings. fiction is my thing, not movies. for all I know it could be playing with old Hollywood etc etc

chickeon posted:

ty. it's definitely been a lesson in the ins and outs of organizing. the hardest part was when a fairly intelligent albeit socially awkward member of the group had a full-blown pink ninja-style psychotic meltdown and started saying flatly inappropriate and offensive stuff during meetings... it got so bad that after we had to ask him to leave he started waiting outside the library space where we meet and doing some other stalker-type stuff. I don't think he would have tried anything violent, but some of the members of the group who had been singled out wound up taking out a restraining order and he eventually got committed. it was pretty fucked up and we lost some really good people because of it.

dank_xiaopeng posted:

chickeon posted:

ty. it's definitely been a lesson in the ins and outs of organizing. the hardest part was when a fairly intelligent albeit socially awkward member of the group had a full-blown pink ninja-style psychotic meltdown and started saying flatly inappropriate and offensive stuff during meetings... it got so bad that after we had to ask him to leave he started waiting outside the library space where we meet and doing some other stalker-type stuff. I don't think he would have tried anything violent, but some of the members of the group who had been singled out wound up taking out a restraining order and he eventually got committed. it was pretty fucked up and we lost some really good people because of it.

warning: if you "get" capital you may be prone to mental illness

that owns (except the meltdown part) and i want to be in a capital reading group now. i wd prob do devils advocate stuff because it helps me learn cos i am a repulsive shit human being