Agnus_Dei posted:

You criticize fairy tales, but our fantasy lives make up a huge part of our moral outlook. Narratives can instill a value in you firmly and be easily recalled as an example. Many people are indoctrinated by the moral values in the movies and TV they see. It would be better if they based their beliefs in time-tested morality tales rather than shocking pop entertainment.

its telling that you view the proper competition for your religion as HBO and comic book movies

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
it turns out you nature-worshippers believed in god all along as the spirit that pervades the universe, please read the Bible now. church is at 10am on Sundays at the big pile of rocks.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
maybe chris hedges is a bit naiive but i still like this

after the sam harris bit of course. sam harris doesnt exist

Edited by MindMaster ()

since (almost?) every religions claims of exclusivity and interfaith competition for worshippers is a reality, i'm not really sure what you hope to achieve. maybe you can found a new, better religion from the scraps of the old?
the only thing that really unites interfaith coalitions is their hatred and fear of atheism.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

MindMaster posted:

to be clear he says like 100 incorrect things but i like the idea of what he says underneath the muddledness

Edited by MindMaster ()

i'm really attacking your beliefs, not your statements. one love
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

MindMaster posted:

Just fyi, you have to change the "https" to "http" when embedding youtubes on this forum

[account deactivated]

Agnus_Dei posted:

MindMaster posted:

Just fyi, you have to change the "https" to "http" when embedding youtubes on this forum

woops, thanks

[account deactivated]

NoFreeWill posted:

the only thing that really unites interfaith coalitions is their hatred and fear of atheism.

There is a genuine desire to understand, negotiate values with, and hopefully justify other religious traditions. Recent years have shown massive progress in this regard amongst the larger institutions especially with things like Vatican II.

oh i'm sorry i thought religious statements about the nature of reality are actually just useful fictions that can be adopted and discarded at will.
[account deactivated]
I actually hate militant atheists too. We share a common belief we should probably start a bible study together.
actually becoming an atheist is a difficult struggle much like a caterpillar turning into a butterfly, but in reverse.
I like you roseweird.
[account deactivated]
urgh start a religion thread already i dont want to have to read all this stuff in the reading thread this thread is for talking about reading not reading
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
what if opinions about religion are another manifestation of identity politics
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

roseweird posted:

gyrofry posted:

what if opinions about religion are another manifestation of identity politics

what if existing in separate bodies is a manifestation of identity politics

biotruths

i accept that people are religious in the same way that i accept that people are capitalist neoliberals, or postmodern bourgeois intellectuals or whatever.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
being militant is cool
you shouldve said "i know" and smiled at him in a religious sort of way