buy a penthouse forum

wow just wow

[account deactivated]

conec posted:

i have/read 3 of those books

[account deactivated]
meaning isn't really worth thinking too hard about round here

conec posted:

wats that supposed 2 mean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how did you like those three books?

i'm reading all 20 of my unread PM's, from my friend maoist_third_word_sex_toursit
[account deactivated]
I say fuck money! The tech industry is moving us into the information age, where money is becoming less and less relevant.
i rode on a train and read ways of seeing by john berger and some of black sun by kristeva
[account deactivated]
i finished road to wigan pier, it was pretty good even though it's orwell. i always thought orwell was just kind of a silly cryptolibertarian

MindMaster posted:

i finished road to wigan pier, it was pretty good even though it's orwell. i always thought orwell was just kind of a silly cryptolibertarian

Yeah, besides Politics and the English Language it's the only Orwell I didn't hate.

swampman posted:

i rode on a train and read ways of seeing by john berger and some of black sun by kristeva

ways of seeing is good and also very shooort. i'm starting phenomenology of perception and i may try to finish man without qualities if i can find my place in it.

MindMaster posted:

although the politics in it are kind of iffy, "homage to catalonia" is a fun and quick read

palafox posted:

MindMaster posted:

although the politics in it are kind of iffy, "homage to catalonia" is a fun and quick read

yeah i think ill pick it up next

the sense i got from wigan pier was that hes basically a bourdieuan, thinking of superstructure/ideology as "social capital" or fields or something like that.

Finished No Longer Human, thanks for the recs, the pathos was much enjoyed.
homage to catalonia was my gateway into marxism. kind of funny.
me too! it was also the first book written for adults that i ever read. unfortunately the only books aimed at grown-ups that I read at that age were book club things my mom brought to various sports things that I did, so homage to catalonia was shortly followed by "divine secrets of the ya-ya sisterhood" and "how stella got her groove back"

Soon as it was night out we shoved; when we got her out to about the middle we let her alone, and let her float wherever the current wanted her to; then we lit the pipes, and dangled our legs in the water, and talked about all kinds of things—we was always naked, day and night, whenever the mosquitoes would let us—the new clothes Buck's folks made for me was too good to be comfortable, and besides I didn't go much on clothes, nohow.

Sometimes we'd have that whole river all to ourselves for the longest time. Yonder was the banks and the islands, across the water; and maybe a spark—which was a candle in a cabin window; and sometimes on the water you could see a spark or two—on a raft or a scow, you know; and maybe you could hear a fiddle or a song coming over from one of them crafts. It's lovely to live on a raft. We had the sky up there, all speckled with stars, and we used to lay on our backs and look up at them, and discuss about whether they was made or only just happened. Jim he allowed they was made, but I allowed they happened; I judged it would have took too long to make so many. Jim said the moon could a laid them; well, that looked kind of reasonable, so I didn't say nothing against it, because I've seen a frog lay most as many, so of course it could be done. We used to watch the stars that fell, too, and see them streak down. Jim allowed they'd got spoiled and was hove out of the nest.

Once or twice of a night we would see a steamboat slipping along in the dark, and now and then she would belch a whole world of sparks up out of her chimbleys, and they would rain down in the river and look awful pretty; then she would turn a corner and her lights would wink out and her powwow shut off and leave the river still again; and by and by her waves would get to us, a long time after she was gone, and joggle the raft a bit, and after that you wouldn't hear nothing for you couldn't tell how long, except maybe frogs or something.

After midnight the people on shore went to bed, and then for two or three hours the shores was black—no more sparks in the cabin windows. These sparks was our clock—the first one that showed again meant morning was coming, so we hunted a place to hide and tie up right away.

palafox posted:

me too! it was also the first book written for adults that i ever read

there are very few of those

palafox posted:

me too! it was also the first book written for adults that i ever read. unfortunately the only books aimed at grown-ups that I read at that age were book club things my mom brought to various sports things that I did, so homage to catalonia was shortly followed by "divine secrets of the ya-ya sisterhood" and "how stella got her groove back"

haha we had a bunch of old man history in the house, tr fehrenbach, william manchester, so i read those. or tried to

[account deactivated]
and the word cat
[account deactivated]
my introduction to Marxism was Steve Coogan as Tony Wilson in 24 Hour Party People defending Joy Division's decision to wear swastika armbands on stage, saying 'have you never heard of situationism?' and looking it up after the movie was over
yeah society of the spectacle was one of the first marxist books i ever read.

stegosaurus posted:

yeah society of the spectacle was one of the first marxist books i ever read.

same.

tpaine posted:

i bet a bunch of you liked homage to catalonia since it says "alone" right in the title.

alone is only "alon" in this, don't troll. that's a fail.

it's got both "mage" and "talon," though, if you catch my drift

Edited by palafox ()

[account deactivated]
john dolan wrote something on road to wigan pier worth reading, it's somewhere on exile.ru
The mystery of the Yellow King and Carcosa grows deeper.
"After the Russian Army invaded the nation of Georgia, Senator Obama's reaction was one of indecision and moral equivalence, the kind of response that would only encourage Russia's Putin to invade Ukraine next."(2008)

\

daddyholes posted:

You predicted the invasion back in 2008. When you look at all the troubles with Obama's response to the crisis in Ukraine, the -- all the problems with indecisiveness, the millions of people being left at the mercy of Vladimir Putin, a lot of other things, what's your takeaway? In a macro sense, what's the problem?

\

I sure did. But it was plain to see. You know, Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce. Caussidière for Danton, Louis Blanc for Robespierre, the Montagne of 1848 to 1851 for the Montagne of 1793 to 1795, the nephew for the uncle. It's downright painful to look at, Chris. But this sort of thing will continue to happen as long as Obama purposely avoids commonsense solutions.

\

[account deactivated]

ArisVelouchiotis posted:

daddyholes posted:

You predicted the invasion back in 2008. When you look at all the troubles with Obama's response to the crisis in Ukraine, the -- all the problems with indecisiveness, the millions of people being left at the mercy of Vladimir Putin, a lot of other things, what's your takeaway? In a macro sense, what's the problem?

\

I sure did. But it was plain to see. You know, Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce. Caussidière for Danton, Louis Blanc for Robespierre, the Montagne of 1848 to 1851 for the Montagne of 1793 to 1795, the nephew for the uncle. It's downright painful to look at, Chris. But this sort of thing will continue to happen as long as Obama purposely avoids commonsense solutions.

\

her eyes are too far apart

[account deactivated]