random rec, since its not german, but the good soldier svejk by jaroslav hasek is a good read, its czech and is a comedy/satire about world war i, somewhat akin to catch 22. it is a lighter read, although it is unfinished due to the authors death
puig

TG posted:

random rec, since its not german, but the good soldier svejk by jaroslav hasek is a good read, its czech and is a comedy/satire about world war i, somewhat akin to catch 22. it is a lighter read, although it is unfinished due to the authors death

aside from the pleasant childish illustrations and its beautiful lack of structure, my favorite thing about svejk is its relentless mentioning of different obscure types of balkan and eastern european tubed meats and hard liquors. like, pawlinka and zubrovka and slivovice, sure fine great, but after twenty chapters it's just a blur of "the other batman acquired dzhevoronikantinoi from the peasants, as was his wont, to accompany the vurozhmantikol he had acquired from peasants, as was his wont, to accompany the maštruvòzh'mániûdzhevańÿá which had blinded him the night before"

read Puig and Grundlesworthy. read kazinski and Mao. READ CHRISTY.

Scrree posted:

i need to do a study on a poet for my intro to poetry class. my first instinct was baudelaire until i realized that was due to anime, which is just too autistic to do without shame. next i thought byron or pushkin but then i realized i was nuzzling the spectral dick of long dead men so now ive reached that void space that most americans have when they think poetry

help me! who's a cool poet???

george oppen is a cool poet fyi

above all: phonebank

babyhueypnewton posted:

Hoew about instead of a bunch of high school lit books and bourgeois decadence you read Enver Hoxha's selected works I-VI, Mao's selected works I-IX, Lenin's works 1-45, and ofc Marx & Engels 1-50. All of which are online and free.

When you've gotten through that then you can read Proust or whatever nonsense you think matters to the wretched masses of the world. You have a lot of work to do as do I.

im reading hoxha's memoir on stalin right now. red salute

Scrree posted:

i need to do a study on a poet for my intro to poetry class. my first instinct was baudelaire until i realized that was due to anime, which is just too autistic to do without shame. next i thought byron or pushkin but then i realized i was nuzzling the spectral dick of long dead men so now ive reached that void space that most americans have when they think poetry

help me! who's a cool poet???

mary jo bang is usually wry and good, plus has a great vernacular translation of the inferno. kay ryan is almost always wry and sometimes good, plus is an interesting example of a poet who uses rhyme and gentle mundane wit but with often disquieting results. tricia lockwood is really fun but kinda dumb sometimes, ariana reines is kinda fun for seeing the vestiges of language poetry in a context pretty removed from it, but sometimes has some really stupid stuff mixed in. ingeborg bachmann is kinda like a non-laconic celan, if that makes sense. anne carson has occasional clunky moments but is a frequently amazing poet, fascinating classicist, and just all around interesting thinker.

if you want some good good, the first full-length english study of the primary poet of medieval obscene arabic vernacular poetry, Ibn al-Hajjaj, is about to come out.
http://www.amazon.com/Poetics-Obscene-Pre-Modern-Arabic-Poetry/dp/1137301538
i'll scan it or post a link once it does. there's little bits and pieces of study of him all over the place. he's known for lovable lines, they really roll off the tongue, like "I am the cleaner of privies, and my song is nothing but a sewer" and "When I am silent, I am laden with fragrance like a perfumer's shop, but when I speak, the stench of the privy rises up towards you" and "Poetry from which the privy pours out, from the twin sources of my mind and my mouth. Its odor gives forth stinking meanings, just as if it were an involuntary emission from my anus"

im reading a book on lockpicking & picking old locks i bought on ebay

Lysenko posted:

aime cesaire
mayakovsky

I've read lots of books by women, like the works of Aime Cesaire and Maya Kovsky.

babyhueypnewton posted:

Hoew about instead of a bunch of high school lit books and bourgeois decadence you read Enver Hoxha's selected works I-VI, Mao's selected works I-IX, Lenin's works 1-45, and ofc Marx & Engels 1-50. All of which are online and free.

When you've gotten through that then you can read Proust or whatever nonsense you think matters to the wretched masses of the world. You have a lot of work to do as do I.

i read capital last summer you fucker. so fuck off.

why recommend both hoxha and mao. mao was a revisionist. you might as well read the original anarchist writers if you want mao's views, which were petty-bourgeois. no thanks! i'll read hoxha like a "boss"
teach me about hoxha donald

gyrofry posted:

teach me about hoxha donald

there's not much to it. just marxism-leninism without all these weird "innovations" that people claim prove stalin wrong or something. just love between bros. not really gay, just a couple of guys talking about things they love.

NoFreeWill posted:

the whole thing or just vol.1?

daddyholes posted:

im reading a book on lockpicking & picking old locks i bought on ebay

Listen son, if you want to become an ace yegg, it takes more than reading some dusty old tomes. Gotta learn from the greats, like Lyefish Joe, The Phlegmatic Kid, The Brass Sheik, Lars "Corky" Olafsson, Dan Mighty Wings, And the king of them all, Boss Stretchmark.

the phlegmatic kid was a controversial one, but you can't argue that he used his natural talents to his full advantage, and frankly i think a lot of people were a little jealous that his unconventional techniques allowed him to do things others in the community just couldn't do. dan wings particularly was always visibly annoyed whenever phlegmatic got a good job.

Makeshift_Swahili posted:

.custom201854{}NoFreeWill posted:i read capital last summer you fucker. so fuck off.the whole thing or just vol.1?

fuck and damn. i bet none of you shiftless negroes have even read volume 1 and now you're making me go out and read volumes ii and iii that i had conveniently forgot existed. maybe after my thesis is done...

haha that wasnt an accusatory post, im reading 2 atm and its really slow/dry

NoFreeWill posted:

catchphrase for most of this forum

getfiscal posted:

mccaine has 833 "read" books on goodreads, which is more than i'll probably read in the next ten years lol

he said he commits himself to reading 50pp per night, or else…

[account deactivated]
Holy shit post the effective solution to keloids asap
watchin this

elektrenai posted:

getfiscal posted:

mccaine has 833 "read" books on goodreads, which is more than i'll probably read in the next ten years lol

he said he commits himself to reading 50pp per night, or else…

Stalin read 500 pages a day. Source: Stalin: Man of History

"That's what ye get when ya stiff a chimney sweeper, now come on lads lets sing a jolly song!"
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/25/london-slavery-suspect-communist-activist-balakrishnan

Balakrishnan's beliefs, niche even among the ultra-left groups of the time, styled his group as a direct component of Maoist China, calling on the Red army to come to south London to liberate working people. Members carried portraits of Mao.

lol

http://pandodaily.com/2013/11/25/pandodaily-acquires-nsfwcorp-to-double-down-on-investigative-reporting/

HenryKrinkle posted:

lol

http://pandodaily.com/2013/11/25/pandodaily-acquires-nsfwcorp-to-double-down-on-investigative-reporting/

rip

lifetime subscription lmao
welp

HenryKrinkle posted:

lol

Shaking my fucking head, glad I unsubbed 3 months ago, fucking terrible, all those people that donated to be in the nsfw tower of chumps, jesus fucking christ, that paul dude STILL can't stop blabbering about his alcoholism and they are now changing to a quarterly, fucking chump fucks
its surprisingly hard to find details about the history/indoctrination of sarah lacy (the one who bought them out). anyone know any details? im guessing a think tank is somewhere in there.

We’re expanding the old NSFWCORP Magazine into a new quarterly publication called PandoQuarterly.

With PandoQuarterly we’ll aggregate the best of Pando in this gorgeously designed, illustrated, and photographed quarterly publication,

hahahahaha

ames shits beige now