NoFreeWill posted:

but if you haven't read even one of them these are my favorite big name classics: Ulysses, Brothers Karamazov/Crime & Punishment, Lolita, Moby Dick, Brave New World, Dracula, The Sound & The Fury (or As I lay dying, but i haven't read it yet), The Portrait of a Lady, Kafka (The Castle, The Trial, or the short one about being a bug), Tropic of Cancer (and Capricorn), The Black Sheep, Madame Bovary, Gogol/Chekov for short stories, i dunno there are more but i forget.

Proust Remembrance of Things Past is #1 Bigtime Funbook, though and should keep you occupied for a whole season.

oh and Waiting For The Barbarians (goes on not-as-popular list above)

Thanks. I've read most of that, but not all of it.

Proust is brilliant. I wrote about Proust here:
http://www.rhizzone.net/forum/topic/182/?page=144#post-139929

That reminds me, I need to resize the dead Proust image and ask BnW to front page me.

As I Lay Dying is cool: Faulkner's flow is obscene, in everything he writes. If you liked The Sound & The Fury you should definitely read Absalom, Absalom next. It's a southern gothic novel that also features Q from S&F.

I think A Light in August is the best entry-level Faulkner book.

I loaned A Light in August to my ex-fiancee and she never finished it or returned it.

[account deactivated]
Of course.

I've read the short stories of Flannery O'Connor.

I've read Orlando, To the Lighthouse, and Mrs. Dalloway. Virginia Woolf* is one of the greatest writers in history.

I've also read Pointed Roofs by Dorothy Richardson, amongst others. Pointed Roofs is interesting because, in my opinion, it's the first ever demonstration of stream of consciousness writing. Some say Proust did it first (though not in English), however I don't really see Proust's device of flashing back from eating the madeleine as a convincing demonstration of s.o.c.

One of the next things I'm going to read is Democracy by Joan Didion.

*This sentence originally identified Virginia Woolf as "Virginia Woolfe." ilmidge regrets the error.

Edited by ilmdge ()

NoFreeWill posted:

I am biased towards russian/french and before 1950/1900, but i think its good bias. speaking of which anyone have good german lit recommendations?

the tin drum by gunter grass and the man without qualities by musil are both good. the magic mountain by thomas mann is good but death in venice is a little too creepy for me

no. they don't write good ones. I have probably read at least 100 books by women, but not many that get on my favorites list. by good ones i mean ones I like which means dreary and autistic. my favorite SF author is James Tiptree Jr. though and shes a woman with a fake name.
i like walker percy and my wise, buff uncle would definitely call him a woman

ilmdge posted:

Yes.

I've read the short stories of Flannery O'Connor.

I

flannery o'connor is also the first woman author that came to my mind and then it took me a while until i remembered george eliot is a woman

lol this was my reply to your proust post which i read back in the day:

Maybe instead of writing that long-ass post you should write a section of your shitty novel. Proust doesn't need to be analyzed.
^DICK
I don't actually write, personally, by the way. Partly because I know about 500 words in total, and, also, because I can't write, just in general. So I don't have a shitty novel to work on.

ilmdge posted:

Virginia Woolfe is one of the greatest writers in history.

*Woolf

good point i should probably read some of her.
I was wondering if anyone had ever written a trans perspective on Orlando.

Looks like it: https://www.google.com/#q=woolf+orlando+trans

NoFreeWill posted:

I am biased towards russian/french and before 1950/1900, but i think its good bias. speaking of which anyone have good german lit recommendations?

Das Konzept Stadtguerilla

read oblomov if you like russian books

NoFreeWill posted:

no. they don't write good ones. I have probably read at least 100 books by women, but not many that get on my favorites list. by good ones i mean ones I like which means dreary and autistic. my favorite SF author is James Tiptree Jr. though and shes a woman with a fake name.

you said you were looking for german literature. you said you were looking for hateful stuff from whites. you wanted dreariness and autism. you also said this really stupid thing. was elfriede jelinek outside of your inquiry because you didn't hear of her? did ingeborg bachmann somehow escape notice? they're both tailor made for your stated interests. or did you have exclusively Misanthropic Contrived-Depressive 20th Century White Male Authoritative Viewpoint Penis in your mouth?

The Sound and the Fury is probably the best book all time imo

I need to read Proust it's embarrassing I haven't yet :x

acephalousuniverse posted:

me too :<
if im trying to learn french would it be worth it to try and read proust in french?

yes. but if you don't know french i don't think it would work. also to the above poster i mostly have 19th and 18th century white male cock in my mouth, but now that someone mentions it I read Orlando last year sometime so I guess I have read Woolf and it was real good. my inquiry into german literature started yesterday (i guess outside kafaka, the clown, steppenwolf) so I haven't heard of those people but i will czech them out.

NoFreeWill posted:

yes. but if you don't know french i don't think it would work. also to the above poster i mostly have 19th and 18th century white male cock in my mouth, but now that someone mentions it I read Orlando last year sometime so I guess I have read Woolf and it was real good. my inquiry into german literature started yesterday (i guess outside kafaka, the clown, steppenwolf) so I haven't heard of those people but i will czech them out.

i know basic french and im learning more.

[account deactivated]

gyrofry posted:

.custom201297{}NoFreeWill posted:I am biased towards russian/french and before 1950/1900, but i think its good bias. speaking of which anyone have good german lit recommendations?Das Konzept Stadtguerilla

good shit. and not too long either. someone told me to read teh english Red Army Faction history and it was real good. half was the weather underground, the other half the RAF.
bringing the war home

http://www.amazon.com/Bringing-War-Home-Underground-Revolutionary/dp/0520241193

actually read projectiles for the people and vol2 also whose name I've forgotten

c_man posted:

me too :<
if im trying to learn french would it be worth it to try and read proust in french?

i read so much french literature and i desperately need to learn it, it's pathetic, but i'm so bad with languages

it's the worst when you read stuff that you can just tell you're missing puns and shit cuz it barely makes sense

ive started putting le monde in my daily news feed and it helps a little bit i think but i really need to get more active about it.

proust sucks doody and suffers from a medieval understanding of human memory

swampman posted:

proust sucks doody and suffers from a medieval understanding of human memory

looks like the chickens have come home to proust

swampman posted:

.custom201581{}acephalousuniverse posted:The Sound and the Fury is probably the best book all time imo

I need to read Proust it's embarrassing I haven't yet :xproust sucks doody and suffers from a medieval understanding of human memory

he's wddp as fuck but its still the best novel ever written.

Hoew about instead of a bunch of high school lit books and bourgeois decadence you read Enver Hoxha's selected works I-VI, Mao's selected works I-IX, Lenin's works 1-45, and ofc Marx & Engels 1-50. All of which are online and free.

When you've gotten through that then you can read Proust or whatever nonsense you think matters to the wretched masses of the world. You have a lot of work to do as do I.

babyhueypnewton posted:

Hoew about instead of a bunch of high school lit books and bourgeois decadence you read Enver Hoxha's selected works I-VI, Mao's selected works I-IX, Lenin's works 1-45, and ofc Marx & Engels 1-50. All of which are online and free.

When you've gotten through that then you can read Proust or whatever nonsense you think matters to the wretched masses of the world. You have a lot of work to do as do I.

You should read Don Quixote. I think you'd like the main character.

babyhueypnewton posted:

I am probably not going to read any of that stuff, in my life

i need to do a study on a poet for my intro to poetry class. my first instinct was baudelaire until i realized that was due to anime, which is just too autistic to do without shame. next i thought byron or pushkin but then i realized i was nuzzling the spectral dick of long dead men so now ive reached that void space that most americans have when they think poetry

help me! who's a cool poet???
Blake
limonov

Scrree posted:

i need to do a study on a poet for my intro to poetry class. my first instinct was baudelaire until i realized that was due to anime, which is just too autistic to do without shame. next i thought byron or pushkin but then i realized i was nuzzling the spectral dick of long dead men so now ive reached that void space that most americans have when they think poetry

help me! who's a cool poet???

no one would know your interest in baudelaire was due to anime

you could do pablo neruda, he was even a stalinist and likely to be approved by teh 'zzone

bird diagrams

Scrree posted:

due to anime

in the hit anime FLCL the pirate king atomsk obviously represents the ubermench, whereas the opposing forces of haruko and commander amaro represent the opposing dionysian and apollonian forces in naota's life, one seeking to affirm the will to power and chaotic joy of life itself and the other seeking to control it technologically and bureaucratically. the entire series is based around the emergence of the simultaneously fantastic and real from naota's subconscious.

heinrich boll is cool and hateful and german, the clown is a really cool book. its about an atheist clown that calls up all of the people he hates (everyone he knows basicaly, mostly catholics) to be hateful and bitter to them and then beg them for money. its a really coolbook
aime cesaire
mayakovsky
Aime Cesaire is a great suggestion, total genius