trot on trot violence

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
boy, can we!
srs doe this is a legit tune

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
the number uno reason i hate d&d

mother fuckers making generalizations based on "my uncle" "my co worker" "my boss" those mother fuckers all seem like dumb cheerleaders that barely have a hope
[account deactivated]
can someone find me an electronic copy of thomas bernhard's Lime Works, i cant find it in the usual places and goddamnit i know it's out there somewhere
[account deactivated]
http://www.salon.com/2013/08/13/dont_vote_for_cory_booker/

Today New Jersey Democrats will decide who will be their nominee for the United States Senate. The winner of today’s primary election will be the heavy favorite in the general election. If any New Jersey voters are reading, and they have not yet voted, consider this a desperate plea: Don’t vote for Cory Booker. He’s going to be a very annoying senator.

It’s fine if you like Booker. He’s personable, charming, really good at Twitter, and he has done lots of stunts designed to make people aware of poverty, or at least to make people aware of Cory Booker’s awareness of poverty. He is a Good Liberal on many issues.

But he’s also an avatar of the wealthy elite, a camera-hog, and a political cipher who has never once proposed anything to address to the structural causes of the problems he claims to care so deeply about. He represents the interests of both Wall Street and Silicon Valley, two very prosperous industries full of incredibly arrogant rich men who believe that the world’s problems would be solved if arrogant rich men exactly like themselves were given free rein to make as much money as possible by any means necessary. They see, in Booker, a peer — a smart man with the right qualifications and the correct worldview. Booker and his crowd believe that the charity of the benevolent elite — people who know they are rich because of their innate skill, their brilliance, their work ethic, everything besides fundamentally inequitable distribution of resources and opportunities for economic advancement — is the only acceptable and effective means of addressing the needs of the lower orders.

Cory Booker became a millionaire because this is how the economy works for people of his class: Rich people give other rich people money to do nothing, simply because they “deserve” it. He is the worst sort of Democrat, and Democrats should be doing everything in their power to wrest control of the party away from people like him.

But that is why Cory Booker is bad as a phenomenon. What about his fitness for the specific job he is running for? It is, admittedly, probably not the job he was hoping for. Governors get to have more fun. Time’s Jay Newton-Small says Booker would miss retail politics and direct constituent interaction once he’s a senator:

Senators don’t fix potholes. Never mind flaming buildings–they rarely even kiss babies. Senators spend their days in meetings: with lobbyists, with interest groups, with other senators, with the administration, with fundraisers and with their leadership. They’re inside operators.

Ok, but how do we actually think Booker spends most of his time? Fixing potholes personally, or attending meetings with rich, influential and important people? (Like Jeff Zucker’s teenage son?)

In many ways, Booker is perfectly suited for the United States Senate. He won’t be expected to accomplish anything. He will have so many more opportunities to spend time with even more rich people with elite backgrounds and worldviews similar to his. He will have much more access to television studios and Sunday shows and cable news cameras.

He will, in short, be the worst kind of senator. The kind that has no power and no real desire to exercise power on behalf of the people the senator ostensibly represents, but the kind that always expresses opinions on television about whatever national issues people on television care about that day. He will be on Morning Joe and Meet the Press constantly. He has even already said that he might consider Rand Paul and Ted Cruz as models for how a freshman senator might make “big marks.” Not “big marks” in the sense of any sort of lasting legislative legacy, because Ted Cruz does not care about legislation or policy, but “big marks” in terms of media attention and stunts designed to appeal to a core of supporters who prefer their senators brash and loud. Another one of those senators will not help anything.

It’s not like there aren’t any other options. Rush Holt would be a fine senator. He’s an actual physicist, which is neat. He cares very strongly about global warming, which is probably the single most pressing issue of our era. He will probably not use the Senate seat as a stepping stone to the White House, which means he may actually stick around long enough to gain seniority and someday actually achieve things.

So don’t vote for Cory Booker.

Unicorncupcake posted:

You, sirah, are clearly a sandwich dilettante. It's evident from your bourgeois insistence that more is obviously better. Can't you see that true beauty lies not in the profusion of olives, but on how the lone olive balances on the razor's edge of perception, almost lost against the engulfing tide of hamflesh. It recalls the poignant insubstantiality of first love, the way the fleeing dawn kisses the dark of night, the pleasurable pain of a nostalgic reverie. All you can see is the value-added fantasy of your filthy lucre. Yes, add more olives. Add more olives for the king of mediocracy. For though your plate may overbrim with briny treats, your heart and soul are devoid of true sandwich artistry.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3560364

Dirtbag Diva posted:

Woah, guys, woah. Let's get back to sandwich chat.

Curried chicken salad recipe from The Joy of Cooking (preferably the edition with the roast squirrel recipe):

Curry Mayonnaise

Ingredients
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 Tbsp vegetable oil (Grape seed oil is better for you)
¼ cup canola mayonnaise (Use less than this, dear god they were gross in the 50's)
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp honey

Directions
Whisk the curry powder and oil together in a small skillet on a low heat for 30 to 60 seconds until fragrant. Remove from heat and let cool. Then, in a small bowl, whisk curried oil with the mayo, lime juice and honey.

Curried Chicken Salad

Ingredients
1 cooked chicken breast, chopped
2 Tbsp sliced almonds
2 Tbsp golden raisins
2 Tbsp red onion, minced (I use green onions)
1 celery stalk, chopped
½ apple, cored, peeled and coarsely chopped
Curry mayonnaise
2 Tbsp canola mayonnaise (optional) (do not do this)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Mix all that shit together.

If you go to the store and pick up a rotisserie chicken on sale (WHILE GIVING THE STINK EYE TO THE SANDWICH COUNTER) you can shred the white meat off that sucker and use it for the chicken breast for a fraction of the price you'd be paying for the uncooked breasts in the meat department. Save the dark meat for stir fry, feed the skin to your dog and boil up the bones for stock. Yum.

Use that curried chicken salad in a delicious sammy. Put it on some alfalfa sprouts and carrots with a big ol' hocking of kale and you've got an Amazing Grace. If you use green onions, put a teaspoon of sugar and a cup of water in a jar and put the bulbs and roots of the green onions in roots down to have what I like to call Infinity Onions. Rinse the bulbs after chopping off the greens each time you cook with them and replace the water/sugar every other day and they can last you up to a couple of months.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Hereg what ib readig

Edited by swampman ()

[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

Hereg what ib readig

hurrr how I play in cminor.

wasted posted:

its hard

swampman posted:

wasted posted:

its hard

you think you sound bad now wait till you play on a real piano with strings

You're just jealous because I'm learning something while you are stagnating like a breech birth
seriously though you go back and correct your mistakes and your tempo is all over the place. I'm not even talking about the shift from grave to allegro (don't have the score infront of me or nothing so I'm not sure about the tempos), I'm saying your left hand isn't even and your right hand's dexterity (lol) drives everything. Also the shift from c minor to a minor in the middle of the piecce is meant to be a developmental surprise that you accentuate. Also, you need to learn to rotate your wrists when you're doing that broken chord progression following up to the halftime runs.

wasted posted:

seriously though you go back and correct your mistakes and your tempo is all over the place. I'm not even talking about the shift from grave to allegro (don't have the score infront of me or nothing so I'm not sure about the tempos), I'm saying your left hand isn't even and your right hand's dexterity (lol) drives everything. Also the shift from c minor to a minor in the middle of the piecce is meant to be a developmental surprise that you accentuate. Also, you need to learn to rotate your wrists when you're doing that broken chord progression following up to the halftime runs.

Yes... I'm practicing with a metronome but its not taking very well yet. There are also things like, playing three notes of a trill in one place where its supposed to be 5. I got lessons as a teenager, forgot to practice for about eight or nine years, and just recently found this sheet music and a cheap digital piano. You should just be happy the third movement isnt in there, or probably the second one too, given how livid this has made you today.

buy a metronome and practice at a slow tempo so that everything is even and then slowly build up your speed. learn to rotate your wrists so that your fingers don't have to do all the work when doing pseudo-tremolos. learn to play a piece all the way through without stopping and going back to make corrections. practice hands independently. don't apologize so much lol
Give me other music to practice please

swampman posted:

What was the last piece of music that you preformed publically?

wasted posted:

swampman posted:

What was the last piece of music that you preformed publically?

To my knowledge I've never played the piano publically.

wasted did you study piano formally?

swampman posted:

just find music that you like enough to want to put the requisite time into and that isn't going to crack your dome in the process! do you listen to classical composers?

learn to play this everyone and teach me how to play it thank you.
[account deactivated]
can you do this

[account deactivated]

blinkandwheeze posted:

learn to play this everyone and teach me how to play it thank you.

maoist cardew is cool and funny as a response to stockhausen, but kind of heartbreaking when you compare it to his stuff with the amm, or even "the great learning". the bulk of text/indeterminate scores emerging out of the "western compositional world" at that time weren't even close to as realized, or containing as many potential avenues for exploration (e.g. lamonte young/ fluxus artistic indulgence, or the inherent limitations of notation like, say, a lutoslawski, where everything written with his notational techniques will sound exactly like a lutoslawski work).

play this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3WSvfrR0Y rare footage of swampman in his teens

palafox posted:

wasted did you study piano formally?

Studied under a college prof through middle/high school, did the competitions bullshit circuit, got a full scholarship, and then double majored in something more marketable.

just find music that you like enough to want to put the requisite time into and that isn't going to crack your dome in the process! do you listen to classical composers?

The first volume of Beethoven's Sonatas is a good intro to technique in the classical mode (i.e. broken chords, arpeggios, clear developmental paths--of course in retrospect of Beethovens innovations on the period's style, scale runs, etc.), but the Pathétique I think is a sort of conflicted work. The first movement has few ties to the second movement (and arguably the most famous), and the third movement is in a league of its own with few references to the first or second. You don't find the sort of cohesion in the piece as you would find in the moonlight sonata (which features the same broken chord patterns found in the first and third movements and even the second movement recognizes itself as sort of scherzo on what's to come in the third) or even the op. 28.

But anyway, I think it's important to listen to other pianists to get inspiration on a piece.

Rubinstein is slightly melodramatic and sentimental but he offers a touch rarely found in most romantic playing styles:

Horowitz shows how the left hand drives the tempo and allows a certain rubato in the right hand. And the dramatic progressions from measures 88-111 (and its later echoes/repetitions) are clear cut following up to an almost graceless run. Also listen to how unique he makes the a-minor development.

Gould has as style all his own and maybe will inspire certain understandings of the piece, but nevertheless his interpretation is worth a listen.

Edited by wasted ()

your posting is Pathétique
[account deactivated]