DeleuzerAndRetardi posted:

idk man i just know i live in portland and am tired of everyone being in a band of either genre

I prefer folk. Punk usually loses its appeal as people get older. Much of it becomes hard to listen to, especially aggressively political punk which is usually annoying and puerile. But a lot of folk is timeless. These songs about travel, war, long lost love, drinking yourself to death, etc., can affect both young and old.

Listen to this song. It's an old traditional that has made many old men weep. I can imagine it being played in the background of the one scene in Moby Dick where the lonesome old sailor waves away the young men.

"Well, well; belike the whole world's a ball, as you scholars have it; and so 'tis right to make one ballroom of it. Dance on, lads, you're young; I was once!"

Edited by ArisVelouchiotis ()

Folk/country musician Townes Van Zandt making an 80 year old blacksmith cry

post-punk is great and whatever post-folk is (and it almost certainly exists) i definitely dont wanna listen to it. punk 1 folk 0
why does everything have to be "post" with you kenny?
the closest thing to post folk is death in june shit who wrote an album called all pigs must die and every song is about how all pigs must die but by pigs they mean jews

SailorSARS posted:

noavbazzer posted:

sailorsars come back and post that stuff

I have to formulate it but for now i'll just assume you are already familiar with the debate somewhat. Basically, derrida was writing about metaphilosophy as well as critiquing austin's argument (which i think derrida is actually more than sympathetic to). Searle simply sees it as a brazen attack on austin and thus himself since all of his work originates in austin's speech act project. Ultimately, searle fails to really grasp derrida's critique because he never really gave it a chance in the first place, and in doing so reveals certain problems with the analytic tradition (which here includes the ordinary language phils). At the same time, I think it validates much of what the ordinary language philosophers and the social constructivists were arguing as well. The argument is really interesting because it demonstrates the theory being argued, as much as it actually argues it. Unfortunately I don't have limited inc with me, so I can't write up a full post yet. I'm still struggling to articulate the argument fully, because in my opinion, it's one of the most complex debates in philosophy due to the parallels between the theory, the debate itself, and the politics surrounding it. Also, I'm not sure how much that debate matters anymore because it seems to me that the actual philosophy of the debate was largely ignored, despite how heavily it was publicized.

hmm on the one hand I hate Derrida, who is nothing more than a parasite of Foucault first of all and then Marx, Heidegger, Husserl, Nietzsche, and all the usual suspects. on the other hand analytic philosophy is completely worthless, it would have the status of alchemy if the USA didn't have nuclear bombs. guess I hate both sides, though maybe this debate produced gold out of the dialectic between two awful schools of thought.

It's unfortunate that many people blindly dismiss all country music as wretched and unsophisticated. I was like this when I was a kid. I probably only knew the name of one country musician and yet i swore that it was all shit.

That Townes Van Zandt song is some goddamn existentialist poetry.

Sometimes I don't know where
This dirty road is taking me
Sometimes I can't even see the reason why
I guess I keep a-gamblin'
Lots of booze and lots of ramblin'
It's easier than just waitin' around to die

One time, friends, I had a ma
I even had a pa
He beat her with a belt once 'cause she cried
She told him to take care of me
Headed down to Tennessee
It's easier than just waitin' around to die

I came of age and I found a girl
In a Tuscaloosa bar
She cleaned me out and hit in on the sly
I tried to kill the pain, bought some wine
And hopped a train
Seemed easier than just waitin' around to die

A friend said he knew
Where some easy money was
We robbed a man, and brother did we fly
The posse caught up with me
And drug me back to Muskogee
It's two long years I've been waitin' around to die

Now I'm out of prison
I got me a friend at last
He don't drink or steal or cheat or lie
His name's codeine
He's the nicest thing I've seen
Together we're gonna wait around and die
Together we're gonna wait around and die

postpunk
most of my childhood memories re: music are country songs about woman leaving and/or murdering their shitty husbands which is pretty cool i think

that, and the pointer sisters. my old man loved the pointer sisters lol

babyhueypnewton posted:

SailorSARS posted:
noavbazzer posted:
sailorsars come back and post that stuff
I have to formulate it but for now i'll just assume you are already familiar with the debate somewhat. Basically, derrida was writing about metaphilosophy as well as critiquing austin's argument (which i think derrida is actually more than sympathetic to). Searle simply sees it as a brazen attack on austin and thus himself since all of his work originates in austin's speech act project. Ultimately, searle fails to really grasp derrida's critique because he never really gave it a chance in the first place, and in doing so reveals certain problems with the analytic tradition (which here includes the ordinary language phils). At the same time, I think it validates much of what the ordinary language philosophers and the social constructivists were arguing as well. The argument is really interesting because it demonstrates the theory being argued, as much as it actually argues it. Unfortunately I don't have limited inc with me, so I can't write up a full post yet. I'm still struggling to articulate the argument fully, because in my opinion, it's one of the most complex debates in philosophy due to the parallels between the theory, the debate itself, and the politics surrounding it. Also, I'm not sure how much that debate matters anymore because it seems to me that the actual philosophy of the debate was largely ignored, despite how heavily it was publicized.

hmm on the one hand I hate Derrida, who is nothing more than a parasite of Foucault first of all and then Marx, Heidegger, Husserl, Nietzsche, and all the usual suspects. on the other hand analytic philosophy is completely worthless, it would have the status of alchemy if the USA didn't have nuclear bombs. guess I hate both sides, though maybe this debate produced gold out of the dialectic between two awful schools of thought.

Yeah I don't like Derrida at all either, and his essay that precipitated the whole thing is basically garbage he stole from other people. His response to Searle, which makes up the bulk of Limited Inc, is decent, but petulent. He's the most straightforward in it than in anything else I've ever (tried to) read (just go with the homography here). I'd tepidly defend analytic phil, but in all honesty a lot of it is pure shit. Don't rule out Austin (and kind of Wittgenstein) et al. though, because they have some worthwhile things to say. The debate itself is actually pretty sad and should make you lose respect for all parties involved, but there's a lot of unintentional philosophic insight in it too which is what makes it interesting

nearly everything punk and folk has become over the past 30-40 years is empty shit so it really just comes down to whether you like your music faux angry or faux sad
there's some hip hop that seems legit but it's buried in the mountains of refined billion dollar commercial stuff so idk

ante up
howabout a little bit of BOTH WORLDs

folk is boring. punk is now noise

thirdplace posted:

most of my childhood memories re: music are country songs about woman leaving and/or murdering their shitty husbands which is pretty cool i think

i grew up surrounded by tons of tapes of old country from the 60s and 70s about driving trucks and going to prison and driving more trucks while taking various drugs to stay awake and hating your bosses and working too much and dying. also lots of scottish stuff from cape breton which never has lyrics but it's good and came out of the ceilidh tradition of having a big party and everyone who is good at music plays together which is pretty cool

hank williams is cool. so is hank williams jr but not hank williams the third.
Bonnie Raitt, who's sort of a country musician, dedicated her 1972 album "to the people of North Vietnam." I don't know much about her music but it's a cool little fact. Country musicians are often thought to be reactionary yokels but there are prominent left-leaning country musicians out there.

Here's a good anti-war, anti-nationalist country/folk song that was written at the height of the Vietnam War.

But your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
They're already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.

phil ochs was cool

vs

drwhat posted:

there's some hip hop that seems legit but it's buried in the mountains of refined billion dollar commercial stuff so idk

ante up

lmao WRONGO!!

re ur 1st dichotomy: you can either listen to sad baby music or real baller shit The Choice is YOURS!

or you can do both! thats the greatest thing about america - its a free country 8) - SHARE if dont want america to be attacked by terrorists
taylor swift is pretty legit. she talks about relationships and shit. hardcore. if you don't listen to her you're pretty much a schween.
once you get into a stable, fulfilling relationship with a wonderful human being who "completes" you music by pretty wealthy whites about their dumb relationships become not as fun to listen to

granted i listened to a very very large amount when i was i younger and perhaps some day i shall revisit it again

enayeneh posted:

you can either listen to sad baby music or real baller shit The Choice is YOURS!

i meant like music that is made today. there's lots of really good genuine heartfelt sincere stuff that is "sad" from like the 70s and earlier that you could call folk. there might even be some weird 80s stuff you could put in that category. i just think that modern stuff called folk is awful self indulgent shit from babies. probably modern punk too but i haven't really bothered listening to any

drwhat posted:

i grew up surrounded by tons of tapes of old country from the 60s and 70s about driving trucks and going to prison and driving more trucks while taking various drugs to stay awake and hating your bosses and working too much and dying.

this sounds boss. got any recs of stuff to check out in this vein?

noice username

allgirlsummergunclub posted:

drwhat posted:
i grew up surrounded by tons of tapes of old country from the 60s and 70s about driving trucks and going to prison and driving more trucks while taking various drugs to stay awake and hating your bosses and working too much and dying.

damn i haven't thought about em in a long time. i will try to find some, gimme a bit

aesthetics
wow to all y'all people in your 20s who pretend to like folk because you grew out of punk, you're going to be a great at pretending to like jazz in a couple of decades!

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

wow to all y'all people in your 20s who pretend to like folk because you grew out of punk, you're going to be a great at pretending to like jazz in a couple of decades!

i like jazz now

i am in love now

with jazz

One thing I hear a lot is, people say, "Gyrofry, what's this with you and Jazz? What's the beef with you and Jazz music?"

I say, "Well, I really hate Jazz."

They say, "What do you hate about poor old Jazz?"

I say, "The sound. The sound that Jazz instruments make when they're being manipulated by Jazz players to the delight of Jazz respondents. I think of it as musical barf."

They say, "I don't think you've given Jazz a chance."

Well, I maintain, I haven't given suicide a chance, but. . .Well, I did give suicide a chance, but that was only because I was threatened with Jazz. You know. Jazz music.

One thing I hate--One thing I hate is being woken up in the middle of the night, when I'm dreaming about, say, promiscuity with dignity [Man off camera "All right."], by a rap-tap-tappin' on my window by those guys with goatee things on their faces, saying, "Hey. Can we come in? Beano's clarinet's gettin' wet." And then they go into this sorta Gene Krupa trance. Jazz schmazz. I'm sorry; I've got to go that far. Jazz schmazz.

You know what? I'd like to declare this a Jazz-free zone, about forty miles as far as the Jazz-hatin' crow flies in any direction. Just paradise. Those guys would go to work, and it wouldn't be there.

I'm gonna ask a question. What sort of music do you think there is in hell? You know, H-E-double hockey sticks? Well, I think it's probably hateful, free-form Jazz. And in heaven? Country and Western music. The choice is pretty obvious. It's not Jazz. It's not bop-a-dop bop-be-bop-bo Jazz. [to flutist:] What's that? A recorder or something? I'm not into it. Fuzz pedal, that's what I'm into. You know?

song about drugs

this is an amazing countryish cover of a bob dylan song. it's about drinking heavily, carousing, and getting strung out on drugs in juárez. there are a bunch of literary references. the song's title is from rimbaud.

this is about a young woman who becomes a prostitute after losing her job and father. TVZ wrote the saddest songs.

upbeat country rock song

any of you ever read about gram parsons' death and unique desert cremation?

"Less than two days after arriving, Parsons died on September 19, 1973, in Joshua Tree, California, at the age of 26 from an overdose of morphine and alcohol...Prior to his death, Parsons stated that he wanted his body cremated at Joshua Tree and his ashes spread over Cap Rock, a prominent natural feature there; however, Parsons' stepfather arranged for a private ceremony back in New Orleans and neglected to invite any of his friends from the music industry.To fulfill Parsons' funeral wishes, Kaufman and a friend stole his body from the airport and in a borrowed hearse drove it to Joshua Tree. Upon reaching the Cap Rock section of the park, they attempted to cremate Parsons' corpse by pouring five gallons of gasoline into the open coffin and throwing a lit match inside. What resulted was an enormous fireball. The police gave chase but, as one account puts it, "were encumbered by sobriety," and the men escaped."

i listen pretty exclusively to joanna newsom (i was cursed by a witch)
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]