Zizek is my favorite conservative thinker

The_Schliski posted:

I'm reading this book about distillation of spirits right now and also this one about project management and this one about homebrewing and this one about tube amplifiers and Farm to Factory and The Soviet Century and Moby Dick and I'm going to try to read A Confederacy of Dunces because someone bought it for me two Christmases ago :)

I've got a lot of stuff to read!!!

I could recommend the project management book to almost any adult; it has definite applicability to any one interested in a planned economy, for example

I've actually started talking to my dad about the software they use to do project management and the process of installing a new machine at the 'factroy' etc because of my newfound interest in comparative planning studies. Every place I've worked at seems only half planned, like the plane is five hours late and none of the morning delivery people will be back in time to turn their trucks over to the pm people so they can go out and run pickup routes, but somehow the entire management team fails to arrange for replacement trucks until people are standing around eught hours after the need for the trucks became obvious. And this is a hugely profitable and much admired transnational capitalist dynamo.

stegosaurus posted:

I've actually started talking to my dad about the software they use to do project management and the process of installing a new machine at the 'factroy' etc because of my newfound interest in comparative planning studies. Every place I've worked at seems only half planned, like the plane is five hours late and none of the morning delivery people will be back in time to turn their trucks over to the pm people so they can go out and run pickup routes, but somehow the entire management team fails to arrange for replacement trucks until people are standing around eught hours after the need for the trucks became obvious. And this is a hugely profitable and much admired transnational capitalist dynamo.

I used to work for a successful NASDAQ company and it astounded me that they were considered one of the best in their industry at making money because there were so many inefficiencies, inaccuracies, flubbed orders, damaged / destroyed goods &c. but then I got to see upper management trying to figure out how to handle an RFP for basically all of Boeing's outside spend and I saw where they were successful: they adhered to some very basic precepts that have guided the company since its inception, and not even the dangling carrot of the world's largest manufacturer was going to get them to budge from those values (simple stuff, like Boeing wanting total transparency in cost and pricing, Boeing wanting locked-in contract pricing on volatile commodities like steel, &c.; the company participated in the competition at first but eventually pulled out and more or less told Boeing to pound sand)

on the whole I think the money perhaps gets generated from / lost by those higher-level sorts of decisions? I bet cleaning up some of the ridiculous inefficiencies across the board could result in maybe 10% more revenue, but when you're growing faster than any other major firm in your industry, I guess maybe you lose sight that there're always improvements to be made

at least under a capitalist mode of production that is...

[account deactivated]
i doubt that... for one thing you'd be too busy raking in big bucks to have time to post!!!
[account deactivated]
lol bhpn we're doing this backwards. remember i like nihilist terror and masquerade orgies, you like the long march and sleeping with third world prostitutes

lol even their twitter is more hardcore. oorah
[account deactivated]

stegosaurus posted:

it seems like there's a lot of massive inefficiency in the transportation/logistics network that presumably(???) moves the whole $70t of shit we use every year, and i don't really get why. i did some consulting w/a ocean shipping brokerage a few years back and got a glimpse into the container shipping world and that seems pretty well standardized and managed; i suspect trains are the same way. but massive amounts of cargo moves by truck. my father's been a truck driver for decades and there is a huge amount of downtime and room for improvement - the industry has a lot of tiny companies, and very few of them are very efficient, it's just a lot of small businesses trying to carve out a contract or two to get reliable work for them & their drivers but there's tons of waiting around for bullshit

[account deactivated]
im reading introduction to antiphilosophy by boris groys (cue tpaine). its p cool, esp the essay about heidegger and modern art
im reading a hero of our time by lermontov. its awesomze
impper send me limonov pdfs i got a tablit
y kant i read limonov wtf america
think about what a weird microdicked wannabe you have to be to be in charge of the official marines twitter account

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

impper send me limonov pdfs i got a tablit

do this impper, it'll be great to see what sort of It's-Me-Eddie informed plotlines are gonna be featured in Girls season 3

Impper posted:

i have the nabokov translation of that its sweet

if you like a hero of our time you should also read novel with cocaine by m. agaev

[account deactivated]
yah hero of our time owns. caucasus own

The_Schliski posted:

on the whole I think the money perhaps gets generated from / lost by those higher-level sorts of decisions? I bet cleaning up some of the ridiculous inefficiencies across the board could result in maybe 10% more revenue, but when you're growing faster than any other major firm in your industry, I guess maybe you lose sight that there're always improvements to be made

at least under a capitalist mode of production that is...

inefficiency is vital to the capitalism, friend. every package that gets lost is a new package that has to be created. disaster creates room to grow. in short you're supposed to do things inefficiently and then charge more for the inefficiencies. if you do something under budget, you're in trouble, because part of the budget could have been allocated to something else. but everyone loves a cost overrun. the labor, and the laborers, are devalued again and again like homeopathy that uses human misery instead of water

Edited by swampman ()

[account deactivated]

Impper posted:

I give that book A+ 5 stars, one of the best I've ever read.

[account deactivated]

Agnus_Dei posted:

its out on bluray now

Agnus_Dei posted:

its out on bluray now

"Between three and four in the morning, the phone rang," Herzog recalled. "It took me at least a couple of minutes before I realized that it was Kinski who was the source of this inarticulate screaming. And after an hour of this, it dawned on me that he found it the most fascinating screenplay and wanted to be Aguirre."
also herzog is the main villain in Tom Cruise Is Jack Reacher, we wears a colour contact so looks even more foreign, if thats possible

tpaine posted:

i read groys, puig, grundlesworthy, prund, kleemo, borzdod, shogweef and nuggy

THREAD DELIVERS

[account deactivated]
ya i totally did that lol
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

cleanhands posted:

"Between three and four in the morning, the phone rang," Herzog recalled. "It took me at least a couple of minutes before I realized that it was Kinski who was the source of this inarticulate screaming. And after an hour of this, it dawned on me that he found it the most fascinating screenplay and wanted to be Aguirre."

Apparently there are people who are shocked to find out that Kinski had sex with his daughter.

MadMedico posted:

cleanhands posted:

Apparently there are people who are shocked to find out that Kinski had sex with his daughter.

im kinda shocked tbh. if i had known before reading u post i prob would have mentioned it myself

whats a good book on the morality of corruption, ive read a tiny amount about doping in cycling but there are obvious similarities to banking, penn state, the bbc/savile situation wrt keeping ppl in work, charity donations flowing etc and I Want Moar
i want a book on aesthetics. no not fuck n destory, but a reallll book on aesthetics.