[account deactivated]

gyrofry posted:

SOCRATES - POLEMARCHUS

Tell me truly then, dost thou even lift bro?

i thought about doing this but i figured gf wanted a vaguely believable opinion so i figured i'd let someone else go for it. good job

whoa I went back to the first pages preview on amazon and I had skipped over the prologue to get to the actual dialogues, and I shouldn't have. this is awful lol

The day this whole tremendous affair began, Socrates was returning from the harbor area, accompanied by Plato's youngest brother, a guy by the name of Glaucon. They'd greeted the goddess of the Northerners, those drunken sailors, with a kiss on either cheek and had taken in the whole scene at the festival in her honor - the first one ever! The local harbor residents' parade was awesome, incidentally. And the Northerners' floats, overloaded with half-naked ladies, were pretty cool, too.

But I, for one, think they're not blaming the right cause; for, if it were really old age, I would feel its effects too, and so would everyone without exception who has reached the same age as myself. Yet I have personally met old people with a completely different attitude. The great poet Sophocles is a good example. I once happened to be around when a journalist who'd come to interview him asked him, rather rudely, I must say: "So, Sophocles, how's it going, sex-wise? Are you still able to make love to a woman?"

i'm gonna try to track down the first pages in the orig french

im glad i live in a society that ushers the old, sick, dead, and dying into sterile corners so i can focus on maximizing my wealth-generation utility and not be distracted into unproductivity by empathy
http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/01/native-australians-have-had-carnal-knowledge-of-india/
lol that badiou plato thing looks Embarrassing as Hell. a 76 year old philosopher saying things like 'that would be "cool," as the young people say' and 'dear cephalus' and '"your definition of justice is insufficient." with that, socrates lit up a fat 'doobie' and toked heavily before passing it to polemarcus. "smoke some a this shit," he said. "blow ya fuckin head off." "dude you gotta pass to the left," said thrasymachus. socrates blew out a heavy cloud of dank kush. "420 blaze it faggot," he said. "therefore you must admit that justice is not the same as the rule of the strong."'
In Nepal, they dump the cremated remains of their dead in the river in accordance with Hindu tradition. Unforgettably, a species of large catfish called the Goonch that dwells in the rivers eats the remains and now had developed a taste for human flesh which has resulted in a number of fatalities.

MadMedico posted:

the Goonch

Edited by DrMortezaMohit ()

this random person on linkedin asked me for some information on some stuff in my industry in exchange for him giving information on some topic of my choosing. so i asked this indian dude about his personal experiences/views/etc about the naxalites since wtf do i need someone to research for me. in exchange for this powerpoint i forwarded to him which was actually a pretty fantastic powerpoint. what he said is half wikipedia but i mean anyway whatever:

Glad to hear from you again. Honestly I am a bit surprised with the kind of topic you chose for me to elaborate upon but its going to be a nice experience(at different from the daily work) for me as its a very unusual request.

To start with, and I dont want to discourage you, but I dont have a very in depth knowledge on naxalites. Still I would walk you through wateva I know about it. The term Naxalite comes from this village called Naxalbari in a state called West Bengal(that is where I was born and brought up) where it all started off in India. The guy responsible is Charu Mazumdar, a follower of the ideologies of Mao, Lenin, Stalin etc. In India it mostly started off due to Zamindari (zamin in hindi means Land) system which is a deep rooted ill practice and also caste system where rich royal families(the zamindars) who owned a lot of land gave out some of it to poor farmers for their agriculture in return of which collected heavy taxes in the form of cash, food grains etc and were treated like slaves. The taxes charged were very high and whether these peasants could pay bak to the Zamindars would heavily depend on monsoons and rains and such factors. Failing to pay which they were subjected to several attrocities. Also the caste system fell completely in line with all these where the upper caste people would look down upon the lower castes and so on and so forth. To sum it all up the peasants had a very poor condition in the country.

Even some 15-20 years after India's independance(1947), the government failed to reach out to the weaker sections of the societies and nothing could be done about these long existant problems of the rural. They were completely segrageted to all the effects of democarcy. In the background of these sorry state of affairs, Charu Mazamdar along with a few of his followers started the naxalite movement which was mostly violent in nature. This happened in sumetime in 1967.

Since they have grown in strength and their ultimate aim to capture power at Delhi (which I think is far from possible in the recent future). They have formed what they call a Red Corridor which runs through a few states in the country. They mainly compruise of the tribals from the North eastern states and go onto staes like Chhtisgarh, Maharastra and some presence in Andhra Pradesh. Mainly in the middle section. They aim their vilent attacks mainly on CRPF and other para millitary forces. But now the scenario is a little different from what it was ago. Now these people are motivated to become naxalites owing to the attrocities of the Police and the treatment that they recieve. Its almost like a battle between them and police. Most of their attacks are hit and run types. The only time I remember them attacking civillians was some 2 years back when they derailed and bombed a train in the wee hours of morning when the train was passing through their region. After which the train timings were all changed to make sure no trains pass those regions in the night time. Also these regions are the mining hub for the country so they get most of their fundings from these mining companies who are forced to pay them if they need to carry on their business. Its some kind of Mafia Raj(Rule) there.

If the Government wants they can use the military forces and can get rid of these naxalites but their not doing so. I do not have any concrete reasons as to why they do not wanna do that but a few things that can possibly explain it is that post Indira Gandhi era(the early 1980's) most of the Indian parties which are in power are through a coalition govt. whcih has a lot of restrictions as they have to have an approval of all their small supporting parties from many states to be able to take any strong calls. So its running in terms of compromises and balancing a lot of people and opinions when it comes to running the govt.

In India the political body calls itself CPI(M) and the activist and more violent parties are CPI(ML). The communist party had a good hold(35 years) in mainly two states in the country, West Bengal and Kerela. But as of now they have been removed from power in the last state elections and dont have much of a political hold. They were mostly against any kind of change (read growth) and hence not much of Industrial growth has taken place in West Bengal(also a reason why I am working in Chennai,Tamil Nadu and not Kolkata, West Bengal). Not much growth,not many industries, not many great jobs, not many good institutions and deeply rooted to culture.

As far as my relationship to the west is concerned i am mostly clueless of what to tell you. At one point of time I was pretty focused on doing a MS from a top Ivy league university from US. This was three years back in my sopphomore year in college. But as things turned out, here I am working as a research analyst in Chennai, though a few of my good frinds from college are in those Ivy league college and most of my opinion now is based on few of their experiences. I think of US as a place where you can buy cheap I phones(I am told the cost is one-fourth of that in India) and other electronix, a place with amazingly tasty chocolates. People tell me its very luxurious life there. Once you go there you would not want to come back. People are not as formal or proffessional as in Europe and a bit informal(read cool). Then there are people like you who are willing to extend help on my work and sharing information. One thing I dont like about US is whenever you call anyone in the States, 4/5 times you would be speakin to his voicemail. On the education front I hear its more based on practical hands on learning viz-a-viz theoritical learning from books in India. The research there is more real time industrial problems based compared to more theoritical, just to get a paper published type research(and this I am saying from my expeience at IISc Bangalore which is arguably India's best research institute where people are working on projects they might not even live to see their applications in). Also I believe I am better than most Americans when it comes to math . I dont know whether its a myth or is it actually the case but I learn people there mostly rely on their calculators a lot. I do hope to visit the US sometime soon either for a Business visit or a Vacation and verify my opinions.

I believe I have bored you enough but its after long that I have actually done so much of writing. Another disclaimer is that my views or opinions may be very naive and may not portray the true image of all that of talked of, may be they are biased may be they are not so I would urge you to just take them as opinions as opinions are never right or wrong.

Going back to the project,
thats pretty neat

jools posted:

sure but at least there its belief instilled by acceptable sources, like your parents or Ancient Texts or old men or whatever. here in the glorious west however theres been some 20% or something increase in belief in the paranormal because the history channel realised it could make more skrilla from showing ancient aliens than history

lol if u dont believe in ancient aliens

Keven posted:

The only good part of some memoir i read about a blubbering little cry boy who didnt like communist china was when he describes going to the doctor and the doctor just comes out to the waiting room and goes through everyone in order while all the other patients give second opinions in real time lol.

it's cool that we are all sufficiently alienated from the present moment that it's now natural to feel the need to add "in real time" to a thing that happens contemporaneously to another thing in the same physical location in reality, as though this is remarkable

real cool

babyhueypnewton posted:

Spitting is awesome, it's a great way express a range of emotions.

c_man posted:

thats pretty neat

YEah thanks

of the 3b people living in cities in the world, 1b live in slums. indians make up a good chunk of that 1b, so theyve got a really exploited population in their urban centers, and then theyve got maoists running wild in the rural parts of the country. when is the revolution going to come?

ilmdge posted:

when is the revolution going to come?

the bums lost

speaking of countries with spoiled water, my fluoridated town water tastes bad, it's like a dentist's cum

ilmdge posted:

of the 3b people living in cities in the world, 1b live in slums. indians make up a good chunk of that 1b, so theyve got a really exploited population in their urban centers, and then theyve got maoists running wild in the rural parts of the country. when is the revolution going to come?

Maoists gave up.

Dentists also cum. dentists also cum

drwhat posted:

whoa I went back to the first pages preview on amazon and I had skipped over the prologue to get to the actual dialogues, and I shouldn't have. this is awful lol

The day this whole tremendous affair began, Socrates was returning from the harbor area, accompanied by Plato's youngest brother, a guy by the name of Glaucon. They'd greeted the goddess of the Northerners, those drunken sailors, with a kiss on either cheek and had taken in the whole scene at the festival in her honor - the first one ever! The local harbor residents' parade was awesome, incidentally. And the Northerners' floats, overloaded with half-naked ladies, were pretty cool, too.

srsly, though. this translation completely ignores the idea that, in the very beginning, Socrates descends or "went down" from his lofty ivory tower into the cave of the common world to elevate dem sons a bitches.

Came here to post this http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Human-Leg-Duct-Tape-East-River-Little-Bay-Fort-Totten-Queens-Police-226816451.html in response to the OP but where is it?? mystery

getfiscal posted:

speaking of countries with spoiled water, my fluoridated town water tastes bad, it's like a dentist's cum

i will give you $100 if you can tell the difference in a double blind taste test fucker

ya i can tell the difference. the water tastes like fail aids. please send the 100 to my loft in williamsburg.
you already have a ton of money

littlegreenpills posted:

]

i will give you $100 if you can tell the difference in a double blind taste test fucker

it's probably just the taste of the town's water and not the fluoride okay i agree, but i had to make a dumb joke, as i always do

I found your joke in bad taste and insensitive to the women raped by dentists while under anesthesia.
give me a schtickle of fluoride

DildoMalone posted:

give me a schtickle of fluoride

its like...its like tpaine never left us

surrogatepaine