http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15610142

Next month the Dutch parliament is expected to approve a ban on halal and kosher methods of slaughtering animals for food.

Those who proposed the ban say it is simply an issue of animal welfare, but it received strong support from the right-wing Freedom Party.

Many see it as a violation of their religious freedom, and among the Jewish community it is a worrying echo of a similar ban brought in by Hitler.

Anna Holligan reports from The Hague.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
its really scientifically ignorant to support this as an animal cruelty issue but you know Whatevs every thing that is religious is instrinsically dumber than things that are not
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:
every thing that is religious is instrinsically dumber than things that are not

agreed

i'm sorry you can't face mecca, for safety reasons

you can't have a copy of the quran for copyright reasons

your children have to eat pork at school for lunch or else we won't know if they are healthy and they'll have to be sent home

just modern sane laws from objective neutral people
[account deactivated]
a bunch of goons insisted to me that you had to ban muslim women wearing veils because otherwise they'd be able to rob banks with impunity because they wouldn't be able to identify the women. i wonder if they've seen point break.

babyfinland posted:
its really scientifically ignorant to support this as an animal cruelty issue but you know Whatevs every thing that is religious is instrinsically dumber than things that are not

ya I agree it's not dumb at all to torture animals because otherwise their meat will be full of dark magic

well now that i know my kosher beef doesnt have any cortisol in the bloodjuice i can sleep a little easier tonight. also knowing the cow was put into an enormous steel cow mold and rotated to the upside down position before having its throat sliced half way thru the neck eases up my tensions on whether or not god is withme
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
sorry, its my religious right to make this creature suffer as much as possible before it dies and you're an antisemite for even questioning that.

animals cannot suffer in the same sense that humans do, because they are not conscious.

basically, fuck animals. i'm so sick of all this animal rights BS. what's next? video game character rights? just because it looks like it's suffering, doesn't mean it is.

[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

Cycloneboy posted:
just because it looks like it's suffering, doesn't mean it is.

thats what she said

i don't get it. if "it" is a penis, then penises can't suffer. they're not conscious

[account deactivated]

Cycloneboy posted:
basically, fuck animals. i'm so sick of all this animal rights BS. what's next? video game character rights? just because it looks like it's suffering, doesn't mean it is.

yeah fuck big veegetable. they call it bleached and irradiated waste meat and bone from animals that were fed other animals. i call it a fucking tasty hot dog. grow up, veggiezombies, meat is tasty!

[account deactivated]
i don't eat a meat unless i've personally anesthetized it first

Cycloneboy posted:

tpaine posted:
sorry, its my religious right to make this creature suffer as much as possible before it dies and you're an antisemite for even questioning that.

animals cannot suffer in the same sense that humans do, because they are not conscious.

Lmao.

Just cuz a thing looks like it's suffering, sounds like it's suffering, has the same physiological wiring for suffering, and would have evolved the capacity for suffering long before and for exactly the same reasons as me doesn't mean it's 'suffering.' I'm a psychopath btw

discipline posted:
you know who else was a vegetarian that's right

[account deactivated]
halal and kosher slaughter are not painful to the animal goatstein, ive shown you the studies before. youre being irrationally faithful in production techniques that are dictated by capitalist efficiency above all else
i dont nkow or care about halal or kosher slaughter

babyfinland posted:
halal and kosher slaughter are not painful to the animal goatstein, ive shown you the studies before. youre being irrationally faithful in production techniques that are dictated by capitalist efficiency above all else

otoh, reality

all animal butchery should follow the example set by gustavo fring in the season four premier of AMC's breaking bad, "box cutter"

thirdplace posted:
all animal butchery should follow the example set by gustavo fring in the season four premier of AMC's breaking bad, "box cutter"

that's a general practice except you're supposed to hang the thing upside down first to make sure all the blood drains out. abattoir protip

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

thirdplace posted:

that's a general practice except you're supposed to hang the thing upside down first to make sure all the blood drains out. abattoir protip

it shouldn't count unless the butcher keeps lingering, accusatory eye contact with the meat-consumer from start to finish

the animal passes out and dies before it registers any pain. science fact. there's a reason that huge swathes of people perform slaughter this way and its not because they are cowed into superstition by their Stupid Parents
[account deactivated]
i pretty much get my information on jewish and muslim religious rites from nazi propganda films like Der ewige Jude, like modern sane ppl, how about you guys