that chick is right tho
He is a coward if he won't admit to liking games just because some particularly stupid women have an irrational disrespect for them.
shot machines without tangible payoffs that occasionally express ideas that other mediums can convey at least as fully in a fraction of the time: an unfairly maligned medium

thirdplace posted:
shot machines without tangible payoffs that occasionally express ideas that other mediums can convey at least as fully in a fraction of the time: an unfairly maligned medium

alternatively, video games can be legitimate art but the form all the good ones most resemble, architecture, isn't the sort you can namedrop at parties either so the bleating remains misplaced

thirdplace posted:

Efficiency? Really? You must not be a fan of books.

um,i can only see like half of this comic
Open Image in New Tab
uh everyone plays GTA and shit its just that you cant be a freaking weird nerd about it in public, which is just the same as with any other media
uh i dont play gta

babyfinland posted:
uh everyone plays GTA and shit its just that you cant be a freaking weird nerd about it in public, which is just the same as with any other media

also i think the point of the comic is that you can be a weird nerd about literature or music or film and it's not spurned, but video games are a different story (because they are shit)

Impper posted:

babyfinland posted:

also i think the point of the comic is that you can be a weird nerd about literature or music or film and it's not spurned, but video games are a different story (because they are shit)

you cant be a weird nerd but you can be a hipster. you can be a hipster about games too

the examples he gave are awful though. poe tolkein tom clancy and william gibson, what

that seems like a pretty typical nerd literature repertoire

also yeah games are becoming increasingly accepted/acceptable so the comic is kind of dumb. but among non hipsters/non nerds this isnt quite the attitude yet
I love Random House, Scholastic, and Penguin.
i'm thinking about it and i guess my problem with video games isn't that they fail as art (although they usually do) but that they aren't even really trying to be art. they're trying to feed an entirely different drive/impulse; not the appreciative, but rather the creative, the drive towards mastery, expression, and accomplishment. in that role they aren't just inferior but treasonous.

millions of pasty nerds with endocrine systems screaming at them, go out and create! create relationships, communities, societies, culture, art! compete, make something of yourself, grow the fuck up! all staying up until two am striving to answer it with one more level, one more random drop, just see what's at the end maybe it'll be worth it even though it never has been yet

for women to see the men who have fallen into this pit as unattractive is natural and reasonable

thirdplace posted:
i'm thinking about it and i guess my problem with video games isn't that they fail as art (although they usually do) but that they aren't even really trying to be art. they're trying to feed an entirely different drive/impulse; not the appreciative, but rather the creative, the drive towards mastery, expression, and accomplishment. in that role they aren't just inferior but treasonous.

millions of pasty nerds with endocrine systems screaming at them, go out and create! create relationships, communities, societies, culture, art! compete, make something of yourself, grow the fuck up! all staying up until two am striving to answer it with one more level, one more random drop, just see what's at the end maybe it'll be worth it even though it never has been yet

for women to see the men who have fallen into this pit as unattractive is natural and reasonable

yeah this exactly. video games are pits that rob you of your time and your creative energy.

It depends on the game. Lots of movies aren't trying to be great art, but that doesn't discredit film. Games are also still relatively young in terms of their artistic expression. You have to consider the medium going forward. But there are already plenty of excellent games with interesting ideas and stories, plus entertaining mechanics. If you focus only on the worst games, then you aren't really giving the medium a fair assessment.

As for wasted potential or whatever, the same can really be applied to any activity that isn't actively doing something constructive, including appreciating the other mediums of art. And talking about "relationships", "community", "culture", and "art" while simultaneously dismissing gaming, which is all of these things, is disingenuous.

Impper posted:
yeah this exactly. video games are pits that rob you of your time and your creative energy.

What do you think of social tabletop games like DnD?

http://gamessavedmylife.com/

NounsareVerbs posted:
Impper posted:

What do you think of social tabletop games like DnD?

well, truthfully i do not care what anybody does, and i understand the appeal in games. i think it's "kooler" to play halo all day than to play tabletops, because then at least you're not encouraging each other

Sometimes it can be hard to distinguish what you genuinely enjoy against what is just a medium for frittering away the precious remaining hours of your life. I guess television is the most obvious example but the problems of television are definitely becoming serious with games and internet media as well these days.

I've always played games (video, ccg, tabletop), sometimes with great dedication and I don't think they have had a super-positive or negative impact on my life. I do think that they contribute to thinking strategically within a rule-set - much like being an avid reader makes you a more capable writer. Right now I'm running some tabletop games with kids to try to teach collaboration skills. These kinds of games are a welcome diversion in an age where socialization is confined to parties and sports - and a scary amount of socializing takes place exclusively in online realms.
video games aren't cool because coolness is socially constructed and historically contingent. that this is the case does not mean that one is free to reject that construction without consequences. at most, one can choose to eschew social norms. that way lies madness and video games
[account deactivated]
megan....
[account deactivated]
sorry about your shitty job
[account deactivated]
me 2. i like one much better than the other.
im a chemistry teacher and a secret meth cook

tpaine posted:
i have 2 of them thank you very much.

uniquely American

[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

can someone do one of those awesome "On XXXX" pomo posts for breaking bad

thirdplace posted:

babyfinland posted:

can someone do one of those awesome "On XXXX" pomo posts for breaking bad

maybe we should just have a thread on it

gyrofry posted:
at most, one can choose to eschew social norms. that way lies madness and video games

goon love is the best love

[account deactivated]
R. J. Dio... the classics...