Ok, I got a really interesting article for you from a really weird place: IEEE Spectrum. IEEE Spectrum is the IEEE's pathetic imitation of WIRED magazine that it produces for all its student and graduate student members. As in, we all get it for free if we are members. It's forced on us, believe me -- we don't have a choice! Its traditionally chock-full of the usual articles that you'd expect, stuff like "WOW ISN'T TECHNOLOGY SO COOL AREN"T YOU SO HAPPY YOU"RE AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER?!?? SEX CAN WAIT! LOL!" Despite having a pretty wide reach (IEEE -- THE WORLD'S LARGEST PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION, FTW), due to their status as Not A Real Magazine, IEEE Spectrum has the air of being pretty desperate for stories. So not surprisingly, they usually feature at least one, and sometimes multiple, hilariously blatent propaganda pieces for the US Military. Usually about whatever new overpriced fighter jet that Lockheed or Boeing was able to lobby through Congress. If you know how to read between the lines, they're usually pretty funny so like to read them on my walk to work.

Anyways, this month's was titled "Re-engineering Afghanistan", and after the first few pages of usual schlock, I was surprised to see it turn into a scathing lament of the Afpak reconstruction effort and the horribly corrupt contractor system the military wastes reams of money on.

Check it out. Ever wonder what the fuck we're actually doing over there? Well, you're in for a treat:

The Kajaki Dam is so strategically important to Helmand and Kandahar that it was among the early targets bombed by U.S. warplanes as the war against the Taliban began in October 2001. The hydroelectric facility has two turbines, known as units 1 and 3, and space between them for a third unit, which would be known as unit 2. USAID kicked off the refurbishment of Kajaki in December 2003 by signing a contract with the Louis Berger Group, a U.S.-based contractor. Louis Berger then subcontracted with Voith Hydro to rehabilitate unit 1 and with a Chinese firm called China Machine-Building International Corp. to fix unit 3. CMIC was also engaged to build the turbine generator, transformers, and related gear for unit 2, which was to boost the output of Kajaki from 33 MW to 51.5 MW. CMIC had come to Kajaki during the Taliban years, when the Taliban had no idea how to operate and maintain it.

In 2006 another U.S. contractor, Black & Veatch Corp., entered the picture. It joined forces with Louis Berger, and USAID awarded this Joint Venture, as it was known, a $1.4 billion contract for work in Afghanistan, including the ongoing restoration of Kajaki. Meanwhile, the Taliban was strengthening its grip on the area around Kajaki, with frequent rocket attacks on the site all through the summer of 2006.

In 2008 CMIC finished building the equipment for unit 2, and that gear, weighing 220 metric tons, was delivered to Kajaki in a legendary operation code-named Eagle's Summit. The area around the dam was under Taliban control, and the equipment was too heavy to fly in by helicopter. So to get the gear from Kandahar Airfield to the dam, 60 British officers spent four months devising a daring land operation that was later declared the largest logistical mission since World War II.

The mission, which involved some 4500 soldiers, began in late August with heavy bombing of Taliban positions and raids by U.S. and British special forces on Taliban-held villages along the Helmand River. On 27 August, a 100-vehicle convoy including the trucks carrying the gear set out from Kandahar and drove into the desert, usually going just a few kilometers per hour. Well ahead of the convoy was another, "dummy" convoy of about 40 Danish vehicles that took the main road near the dam, drawing fire and diverting attention from the real convoy. Bomb-disposal teams cleared scores of improvised explosive devices along the route, including 11 in a single short stretch of road not far from the dam. The convoy transporting the massive electrical gear, which was hidden in multiple shipping containers covered with posters emblazoned with quotes from the Koran, took an alternate route through the mountains mapped earlier by a British reconnaissance team. At several points the convoys were rocketed or mortared, but on 2 September, the trucks rolled into the yard at the dam with the equipment undamaged. The casualty count for the 12-day mission was one coalition soldier dead and eight wounded and approximately 200 Taliban killed.

Sadly, the heavy-electrical gear still sits unused at Kajaki. One month after Eagle's Summit, the Chinese engineers from CMIC abruptly left Kajaki.
According to a USAID official in Kabul, the engineers realized that the Taliban could not be cleared anytime soon from the area around the road leading to the plant, which meant there was no chance that NATO could deliver the hundreds of tons of concrete needed to install the third hydroturbine.

You might not be able to stomach the first couple pages, but if you work past them (or just skip them), its a pretty interesting read!

http://spectrum.ieee.org/energy/the-smarter-grid/reengineering-afghanistan

lol between the USA, the Soviets and the Ottomans, it's like every Muslim land as a rule becomes desertified through carelessness and / or exploitation
that's funny. I remember Adam Curtis did something about Helmand and how back in the 50s it was going to be turned into a central-valley style clusterfuck of dams, pumps, canals etc. and how they only did half of the work- they got the water in but didn't manage to get the salts and minerals out (in the central valley we pump the water in and take the crap out as well, so the salinity stays the same), so the salinity of the farmland surrounding the project area was only fit to grow opium (which is salt-tolerant I guess) and not wheat or whatever it was growing originally.

theres actually a book written by either a reclamation bureau official or someone related that agency about how helmand is going to turn into california or utah or arizona thanks to the wildly successful american dam-everything-to-shit model. it was written in the mid 50s during the height of the project (and of course at the peak of dam-frenzy here, when people were talking about blowing up mountains with atomic bombs to re-route the columbia or something)

I'd read about that operation, I knew it succeeded but didn't know that the chinese left it, thats awesome. also...... ..... turbines 1, and 3? cmon guys
man, i remember somehow being roped into a subscription to ieee spectrum when i was a student. back then i just thought it was banal garbage but now wOw

animedad posted:
man, i remember somehow being roped into a subscription to ieee spectrum when i was a student. back then i just thought it was banal garbage but now wOw

it still is, which is why this article is out-of-fucking-nowhere. i wonder if the guy just couldnt get it published elsewhere because it is so critical of the contractor establishment, even with such glowing praise elsewhere for the MIC.

stegosaurus posted:
that's funny. I remember Adam Curtis did something about Helmand and how back in the 50s it was going to be turned into a central-valley style clusterfuck of dams, pumps, canals etc. and how they only did half of the work- they got the water in but didn't manage to get the salts and minerals out (in the central valley we pump the water in and take the crap out as well, so the salinity stays the same), so the salinity of the farmland surrounding the project area was only fit to grow opium (which is salt-tolerant I guess) and not wheat or whatever it was growing originally.

theres actually a book written by either a reclamation bureau official or someone related that agency about how helmand is going to turn into california or utah or arizona thanks to the wildly successful american dam-everything-to-shit model. it was written in the mid 50s during the height of the project (and of course at the peak of dam-frenzy here, when people were talking about blowing up mountains with atomic bombs to re-route the columbia or something)

I'd read about that operation, I knew it succeeded but didn't know that the chinese left it, thats awesome. also...... ..... turbines 1, and 3? cmon guys

funny thing about that dam, the article mentions that somewhere between 60%-75% of the power it produces is also leached off by the opium trade, lol.