Ironicwarcriminal posted:

when you think about it taking any sort of university degree in a "humanities" subject is incredible selfishness and narcissism.

How egotistical is it to believe that the world will be enriched by YOUR take on something that is already analysed and commented on by millions of people already.

Humanities aren't about ”your take” on anything, that's just some modernist clap trap pushed by yanks. Humanities is about educating moralists who may then take up their appropriate positions as lawyers, judges, legislators, administrators, etc. wretched western academia has simply perverted the proper order of things and made the humanities into some dumb, irrelevant, relativist club for babbies with big mouths and little experience.

”your take” is supposed to be aired after years of studying philosophy, and after years of practical experience in those noble fields.

the military is one of the few jobs i can imagine doing.

Keven posted:

It's the absolute height of ego centrism to think that we somehow need new people to design roads, buildings, and other structures when everybody has already built those and the ones you make will be the exact same and every single part of it has to conform to 5 different regulations. Basically your only actual job is knowing where to look those up at and having nice penmanship.

If this is satirizing my comment then bzzzzt

Those things are actually material contributions (if not always necessities or socially useful), pontifications about history just waft into thin air until the graduate bites the bullet and gets a job writing copy or something

getfiscal posted:

the military is one of the few jobs i can imagine doing.

you'd be a good tank yeah

sorry that was mean
I disagree. If you wish to enter into formal debate, please contact me privately so we may arrange a time and place. If not, please do not address me in the future.
i like your jokes keven because they remind me of wayne's... and wayne's a good guy
building things is cool until they squeeze you and squeeze you until you can only pine for retirement, and saps without a worthwhile critique of kapital will think that they are personal failures as their brain neurons erode. sad life.

thank god for 0.0, to bring it back around to the op
i critique capital and i am also a massive failure
everywhere i go lately it seems like there's lots of terrible jobs, like every fast food place has help-wanted signs up
I was unemployed for a long long time but now I got a job at a food co-op and it's pretty chill
look at you sorry leftists thinking about getting jobs for yourselves like scroungy old coots while there are capitalists out there unselfishly creating jobs and giving them away.
[account deactivated]
yeah, i took all the jobs. i dont even show up to most of them
[account deactivated]

Lykourgos posted:

The job market might be bad, but also keep in mind that your american liberal arts education is piss poor and academia lied to you and fleeced you for tens of thousands of dollars. Even if the job market was great you'd still be a shitty employee who spent the last four years ”studying” karl barx's theory of sitting on your arse doing fuck all.

i agree with all of this, but i still want more.

thirdplace posted:

everywhere i go lately it seems like there's lots of terrible jobs, like every fast food place has help-wanted signs up

The Rite-Aid is always looking for a good scab. If there's not one in your town, hit the greyhound and start scaring up some work.

Yesterday I cleaned up four cars on a studio lot that were in an explosion for a Call of Duty commercial so they could take them back to the picture car place. There were two snazzy Dodge police cruisers, a wrecked Volvo, and a totally shredded Corvette - fact: Plexiglass is basically particleboard. It was hot as hell, like 95, but it only took 4 hours and I got $250 for the day and it was the best job I ever had.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Keven posted:

I disagree. If you wish to enter into formal debate, please contact me privately so we may arrange a time and place. If not, please do not address me in the future.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

KilledInADuel posted:

fact: Plexiglass is basically particleboard.

eh??

you would be banned so fast for making this topic at wddp
Jobs is a sensitive topic please spoiler tag that shit okay it's traumatising.
I have a job. It's ok

Lykourgos posted:

What is your masters in? Was it a dumb baby american degree in democracy or free speech because if so lol good luck with the job thing yank

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3507211&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=51#post407671496
join the military and exercise "poor weapons safety" at basic. think of it this way, you're creating more jobs.
maybe you should have studied engineering or a hard science. just a thought.
no i studied hard science and now i have a poodunk job fixing ppls badly designed ms access databases. it's a nice job but basically nothing i learned in school has any bearing on it or helps me to do it. also my predecessor was a comparative lit major

Edited by littlegreenpills ()

i think with most things it helps to have a well focused passion. like if you don't know what you want, you'll more likely to aimlessly apply for jobs. if you know exactly what you want, you'll devote more time/effort into exactly that outcome.

so having a specific background is only a start - but if you have something in mind it quickly narrows the focus of the job search.
I was thinking all these years I was a dreadful physicist and was right to give up when i did, but then one of my old colleagues has been posting the following sorts of conundrums which have been troubling her on facebook:

If our universe were to travel at the speed of light from point A to B, or expand at the speed of light, would entropy slow down?

and

2nd question - if you have trapped an ion, using an electric field, within a chamber which it doesn't touch, would scales placed below the chamber measure the weight of the chamber only or chamber + ion?

what the hell is going on here, this person actually finished her phd

haha
[account deactivated]
be a professional suicider
i have two jobs and am thinking of getting a third. one of them is blogging about beltway politics lol