Full disclaimer I'm a poor, likely lumpen, white guy. Without even knowing it I am ignorant of so many levels of the discussion I'm inaugurating. I'm sorry that I am ignorant, but I'm kinda stuck in the matter I've high jacked that my genes turn into a tall naive white guy.

Here's what I'm here to talk about to you bots and feds and lonely heart achers who commiserate here:

On my Instagram feed came word from Oakland, black woman murdered across the street from your old house. 18, gorgeous, and loving life... That's the feed. I follow the time line and they have a suspect, quite a bit late, mind you. Despite Oakland having one of the most comprehensive cctv "smart" networks (really). White guy, "with a record", stabs two (maybe three, press conference was vague) black women ages 18 and 26. BART cops on the scene to administer aid but no mention of any pursuit or sight of suspect. Takes the surveillance city a bit to cough up a story, no motive, transient, police record is private. Police and community seem to urge against branding as a hate crime, although it was UNPROVOKED (determined by surveillance footage). I'm thinking "definition of a hate crime"...

Later, in my Google headlines check up the story pops up :

Notice the headline and image combination.

The subject of the headline is the suspect. The photo is not of that suspect. Granted if you click thru, the main image is of the subject at the top of the page like your average header image. This is within top 10 headlines of google at that time btw.

My questions are thus:
1) Obviously a watered down headline and a watered down police campaign. If this was on the front page of a local newspaper, being almost totally misleading, could there be any legal recourse? This seems completely unacceptable in terms or Journalism. Imho.

2) What if it was on 'accident'?

the AI argument

It just so happens that there are so many more white people on the web (looking at you prison system) that they click the acceptable (to them) headline. Drives it to the top on popularity. We know that stories get possibly hundreds of crafted headlines off the same stories. Does that make it okay to blast that headline?

The part where the thumbnail is not the main picture of the article bothers me. Because, if they excuse it as an algorithm misbehaving, those websites (the smart ones) generate content based of meta data...wouldn't the header image of the article be the only trusted place to pull that image?

Here's the click through:

So like, how is this possibly even not totally criminal?

If Google, that magic that always tells you what to do, says "this is THE headline" for a story, meaning it groups like stories into one identifiable link so ad not to "repeat" stories... Y'all following me?

Show us the goddamn proof!

Algorithms are logic and perfect for a court of law!

Even stackexchange could tell you all the loopholes, the bias, inherent in them.

Why are tech companies getting away with--now in the age of cybernetic (Weiners version) governance--what amounts to MASS DISINFORMATION?

NOTE: all other click thrus had the same thumbnail image featured.

Y'all read me?

I digress as always.

My apologies to the ones this story truly affects. I don't mean to cause any more outside hysteria about a tragic event that the internet has no connection to. All I'm saying is Google obviously does not share that same ethos.

Edited by Flying_horse_in_saudi_arabia ()

its a thumbnail of the victim's father i think? maybe im missing the point but i agree somebody should read settlers to me
you missed a call op
tbh, and i'm not sure if this'll get a warm reception here or not, but i am totally in agreement with the suggestion that algorithms are perfect for courts. we should and could litigate the shit out of them. it would drive the tech industry in, finally, a direction that would be more like real engineering -- admitting lives are at stake -- which it intensely needs and will fight against tooth and nail. let's do it imo.
have you guys read the latest volume of Machine Bias Heartbreak? i can't believe katsuo betrayed mei by activating the yokai engine

Constantignoble posted:

have you guys read the latest volume of Machine Bias Heartbreak? i can't believe katsuo betrayed mei by activating the yokai engine

yeah i read it but i prefer Machine Bias Heartbreak Mega

[account deactivated]

drwhat posted:

tbh, and i'm not sure if this'll get a warm reception here or not, but i am totally in agreement with the suggestion that algorithms are perfect for courts. we should and could litigate the shit out of them. it would drive the tech industry in, finally, a direction that would be more like real engineering -- admitting lives are at stake -- which it intensely needs and will fight against tooth and nail. let's do it imo.

finally i can take my 2d waifu to the family court for divorce

sorry to hear that you and your two dimentional wife are going through a tough time