http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/health/child-abuse-military-1.3421708

Half of Canadian soldiers were abused as children, study indicates
Incidence much higher in military than general population, Canadian-led research indicates

Kas Roussy · CBC News
46 Minutes Ago
Dr. Greg Passey
It makes sense that individuals with a history of abuse would gravitate towards the military, says Dr. Greg Passey, responding to a study released Wednesday. As part of his deployment in Rwanda in 1994, he assessed stress in Canadian troops. (Courtesy Greg Passey)
71 shares 24 comments
About half of Canada's soldiers have a history of child abuse, which is significantly higher than the general population, indicates a new study led by a Manitoba researcher.

"We thought it was really an important finding...," says Tracie Afifi, associate professor in the department of psychiatry at the University of Manitoba and lead author of the research released Wednesday by the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) Psychiatry.

The incidence of adults who were abused as children is 31 per cent in the general population, according to the study, which also involved the Canadian Forces Health Services Group Headquarters in Ottawa and the University of Ottawa.

Soldiers at higher risk of suicide after serving in Afghan war zone
The study examined data from two Canadian surveys:

The 2013 Canadian Forces Mental Health Survey, to which more than 8,000 military members responded.
The 2012 Canadian Community Health Survey, which questioned about 25,000 people.
The research backs up similar findings in the U.S. which showed a higher prevalence of childhood abuse (of various forms) among the military compared to civilians.

"What we know about people coming out of dysfunctional families is they often gravitate towards environments where there is structure and safety," says Dr. Greg Passey, a Vancouver psychiatrist who served 22 years in the Canadian military. He was not involved in the study.

Part of his deployment was in Rwanda in 1994, where he was part of a mental health team, assessing stress in Canadian troops.

"What we know about the Canadian military environment, it is like a very large family. There's very clear boundaries and rules," said Passey. "Overall it makes sense that individuals with childhood sexual abuse or just abuse in general would gravitate towards the military."

'The military may be selecting more resilient individuals.'
Tracie Afifi, University of Manitoba researcher
But for the first time, researchers also compared the association between childhood abuse and suicidal tendencies among the Canadian Armed Forces and Canadians in general.

And, perhaps surprisingly, they found that the link between childhood abuse and suicide was in fact weaker for military personnel compared to the Canadian general population.

"It tells us perhaps there might be something going on that is protective by being in the military," said Afifi. "That could be related to selection process where the military may be selecting more resilient individuals."

Passey agreed.

"In the military, we are taught to cope with very stressful situations," he said. "Our military members, despite a history of childhood abuse, would be better at coping with stressful situations and therefore less likely to have suicidal ideations versus the general population."

An accompanying editorial in JAMA Psychiatry says the findings are important for how scientists and health care professionals "tackle the issue of understanding health outcomes, including suicide risk, among individuals who have bravely served their countries."

"military families"
Australian teen accused of plotting ISIS attack using kangaroo bomb
Mashable - ‎19 minutes ago
Dog Races to 7th Place Finish in Alabama Half-Marathon
ABC News-Jan 27, 2016
An Alabama dog who found her way into the middle of a half-marathon ended up finishing the race in seventh place and earning herself a ...

ilmdge posted:

Australian teen accused of plotting ISIS attack using kangaroo bomb
Mashable - ‎19 minutes ago

More proof tpainne and goatsteins troop hate is just a beta nerd adults way of victimizing people to get back for being picked on as children
goatstien : troops :: troops : the whole fucking world, hoorah
its because there Dads we're also Troops
victimization is an important vetting process for the neoliberal state
it must have been weird to get picked on as a kid. my heart goes out to those who died.

ilmdge posted:

Dog Races to 7th Place Finish in Alabama Half-Marathon
ABC News-Jan 27, 2016
An Alabama dog who found her way into the middle of a half-marathon ended up finishing the race in seventh place and earning herself a ...

how did i not vote this up

hitler was only 11 when his little brother died
WHEN MY LITTLE BROTHER DIED I SAID "FUCK JEWS"

le_nelson_mandela_face posted:

hitler was only 11 when his little brother died

I had only recently learned that Hitler was temporarily blinded in the trenches, kind of hilarious how amerikkka uses everything except that fact as explanation for their behavior (they were gay, sick as a child, father was a tyrant, shitty painter, they were mentally ill (lol), hated Jews, just plain loved the Aryan people, etc, and soon)

I don't think these findings are particularly helpful, and it tells you more about the social psychology of the military. The accusation here is that military has a compensatory function, not just for the people in the military but in Canadian society at large. I think we were already aware that the stereotype of a strong and gallant individual unaffected by the tragedy around them is attractive to people who feel weak and powerless.

Edited by deleuzional ()

I know in Austria even though they are supposedly a "neutral country", they are a member of NATO and have a years conscription for males aged 18, and a huge amount of kids that grew up in care join their army because lack of options and instant career. And well statistically people that grow up in care tend to have really fucked up shit more likely to happen to them.
Similar situation in Ireland but thats slightly better cause Ireland isnt a NATO member and just seems to dick a lot around with UN peace keeping.
abused as children, trained by sadist americans at fort bragg these b right young men had everything going for them until they met a few shards of metal from the wrong side of the tracks
my brothers bullied me as a kid & we grew up dirt poor in the projects & i witnessed a police officer murder a drunk man for making furtive gestures when i was a toddler.

now i am unable to grow a full mustache