Red wine is the best. It's red like communism.

Most american ones suck. any good american ones cost too much. You can get better wines from France and Spain and Portugal and Italy for 10 bucks a bottle than you can get from america for like 20.

Red wine keeps being discovered to be healthy and good for you so you can make excuses to your friends for why you drink it. Just kidding. you don't have friends. this is DYTD.

wine is complicated. it's also delicious. it also gets you fucked up. ask questions, learn stuff. Drink Red Wine. DYTD.
Austrailia makes wine too i guess but fuck austrailia so i dunno if its any good
Oooooooooooooooh shit. I work at a wine store, Got any favorite wines MarxUltor?
The best one i've had in a long while is spanish - Valserrano Reserva 2007. I actually went around and bought 2 stores out of stock of it. shit is amazing. I may hit up a few more stores. Not like the stuff is gonna go bad any time soon.

I'll typically go for Rhone region or south of france, I really like most Spanish tempranillo i've had, aside from 1, and portugal is a great way to get some value. like Duque Du Viseu 2011 is amazing for 11 bucks.

I think part of my taste is based on the fact that i've always had sinus problems so it takes some really intense wines to get my attention. Which is cool because most americans want spiked kool aid so the good shit is always available.

There used to be a somm at the total wine store near me that knew EVERYTHING and we had very similar taste and it was awesome because I learned a ton and he tipped me off to a bunch of amazing wines i never would have tried. then he quit.
Yeah, my store doesn't carry any of those, so I haven't really had any of them. As far as Spanish Tempernillo's go I really liked this one called Roquesan, but its been a while since I've had it.

My favorite wine from Spain right now is this one called Evodia, it's a garnacha, It's cool because it has some spiciness going on.

I'll try out some of Tempernillo's and see if I can end up recommending anything to you.

MarxUltor posted:

Austrailia makes wine too i guess but fuck austrailia so i dunno if its any good

we apparently make good wines for cheaper than the French to the point where the French are very protective of their market and there's a bunch of trade deals between France and Australia regarding wine exports/labeling etc. i don't really know anything (i just buy the cheapest shit possible). actually I was reading about this stuff in a David Harvey essay.

wine in a box keeps getting more delicious but also more expensive. i remember playing slap the bag with $10 almaden and now they have like 2 liter boxes for twenty bucks. anyway, malbecs are good, i always go with a malbec.
also i hope none of you are still drinking merlot since sideways totally owned it into oblivion like a decade ago
[account deactivated]
does anyone else think that wine tastes gross? (sorry)
[account deactivated]
i thought so
malbecs own bones, this is the entirety of my wine knowledge and preferences
Merlot is fine. sideways was about a self-destructive failure with bad self-important opinions
[account deactivated]
Syrah/Shiraz is pretty legit and doubles as the name of a city in Iran ftw

walkinginonit posted:

Yeah, my store doesn't carry any of those, so I haven't really had any of them. As far as Spanish Tempernillo's go I really liked this one called Roquesan, but its been a while since I've had it.

My favorite wine from Spain right now is this one called Evodia, it's a garnacha, It's cool because it has some spiciness going on.

I'll try out some of Tempernillo's and see if I can end up recommending anything to you.

i usually hit up Total Wine because their selection is amazing, prices are really good, and I think they have a lot of exclusive deals for stuff out of europe.

they have a 10% discount if you buy 6 bottles and lets be honest, if you cant find use for something like that you got no business in this forum. Its funny whenever I'm on the motorcycle and they have a new cashier. yeah i'm pretty sure I know that all of those bottles will fit in that backpack little girl. look, all your staff know me by sight and name and which aisles I go to there may be a chance that I've done this before but thanks for the concern. cmon i'm not buying the 10$ handle of AMERICAN PRIDE vodka don't look at me like that

The stuff I go for is generally intense flavor, tannic, really in your face wines. Like everyone thinks they want to drink stuff that "elegant" and whatever but in actual reality if you said a bottle was like being hit in the face with a stick covered in old black berries i'd probably be like yeah, this is extremely my sh'd.

seems like Tempranillos can get some crazy flavors. this Valseranno tastes like fruity cedar. the one i didnt like was still an amazing experience because the tasting notes mentioned "underbrush" and when i smelled it it really brought me back to like, when my dad was hacking down weeds on the edge of the property we used to live in Alabama 30 years ago. it was bizarre. unfortunately it also tasted like that. but it was worth it for the experience. I'd never want to drink it again though.

if you like something with a bit of spice, then definitely look at the Rhone. there's some good peppery wines out there. if you're looking for something to pair with a strongly flavored meal, something like vacqueryas will really stand up for itself and not get buried. and its like, the opposite of what americans tend to look for in a wine so that helps since they'll probably always be on the shelf.

Malbecs are really hit or miss with me. They're a great value if you can find good ones because good malbec is cheaper than mediocre other wines. but i have had soem real shit malbecs lately so i've kinda shied away.

kindzamaruli
If you're talking about tannins being all up in your face, have you tried a lot of Bordeaux's? Because I think their really heavy and they have a lot of flavor. Some Bordeaux's taste "leathery" and I think they're great.

I do really like spicy wines. The Cote du Rhone's are usually spicy because they have some grenache in them, and the garnacha I mentioned is just the Spanish spelling of grenache. If you like peppery wines, another good grape to look out for is monastrell, I had a really good Spanish monastrell called Honoro Vera, which was full and spicy and only $10 (or less).

I'm probably going to bring home a Tempernillo and a Malbec this weekend. Honestly, I remember Tempernillo's being kind of mild, but its been a while since I've had them. The customers where I work really like Malbec, but I never really drink it, so it would probably be good if I tasted one again for when I sell it to people.

Edited by walkinginonit ()

A really heavy red wine to get is this one from South Africa called Wolftrap, it just tastes like leather and tobacco, but in a wine sort of way. It's definitely one of the most"in your face" wines I've had

Edited by walkinginonit ()

ya the reason the sideways guy talked so much shit about merlot was cuz the ex that broke his heart and dumped him preferred it, it wasnt beause its inherently bad hew as just pathetic i thnk. i dont know, i only watched about 1/3rd of it on network tv once many years after it came out. cab sauv si the superior dry red anyways
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i had a bottle of some georgian brandy called 'cha cha' awhile back.

it was terrible and i drank i tall

gwarp posted:

does anyone else think that wine tastes gross? (sorry)

As you get older and you realize the painful physical decline that comes with years of alcohol abuse you eventually find out that wine is great way to stay steady drunk and maintain sociability with your sell-out peers.