[account deactivated]
i've literally never seen this shit in canada and its always been a mystery. what is it. EXPLAIN
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
so like are we talking a strong blonde like the belgian delerium tremens, or more of a barley wine? i'm still confused tpaine
[account deactivated]
the history of malt liquor is class struggle.

no for real, beer was real cheap and wine was the realm of the super elite. those aspiring to achieve the american dream in the don draper 50s in 60s needed a drink to separate themselves from the poors (blacks) thus malt liquor was born and advertised to the middle and upper class. a drink you could drink with your bros on the golf course etc etc. with the resurgence of the american silent majority in the 80s , alcohol began to lose it's popularity similar to cigarettes. successful people wouldn't be drinking such a high proof liquid. at the same time light beers were coming into fashion as america watched it's waistline. the beverage was rebranded for poor blacks as a cheap, higher proof alternative to regular beer that could get you drunk quickly if consumed quickly. it was very easy on the pocketbook.

as america ended racism once and for all, companies realized they could manufacture cheap wine and market it to a missed demographic, poor women. so the men had their cheap brews, their ladies had their boxes and boones farm, and the blacks had their malt liquor. urban elite could drink status drinks at fancy clubs (brand based on yearly income) and the elite still spend hundreds of dollars on bottles of fancy grapejuice
[account deactivated]
sweepberry wiiiiine
According to my sources the regular Olde English 800 is only around 6% alcohol per volume, They sell St Ides where I am for around the same price and its at 8.2% ABV. Also Olde English moved to plastic containers, which is not only environmentally harmful, but somehow less obnoxious than having a huge glass jug of hobo booze. Here's to You St Ides!

Sources:

http://www.millercoors.com/Our-Beers/Nutrition-Facts-Codes.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Ides
one cool thing to do with cheap beer is chase it with a shot of cheap whiskey
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
fucking mother hen. GOD FORBID A MAN INDULGE HIS OCCASIONAL THIRST WITH A CULTURALLY-FRAUGHT SYMBOL OF EXCESS
So what's the opinion on Brass Monkey's (half Malt Liquor, half orange juice) here? I have no idea why people want to make a terrible tasting beverage that is less alcoholic, myself. Also its really acidic.
[account deactivated]
it never ceases to amaze me how much prohibition created a bizarro world alcohol/drinking culture in the states. after doing a little research i find that most malt liquors have about as much alcohol, possibly less, than beer i drink on the regular.

i feel so much pity, i need a drink
When Prohibition ended, Ernest Gallo and his brothers Julio and Joe wanted to corner the young wine market. Earnest wanted the company to become "the Campbell Soup company of the wine industry" so he started selling Thunderbird in the ghettos around the country. Their radio adds featured a song that sang, "What's the word? / Thunderbird / How's it sold? / Good and cold / What's the jive? / Bird's alive / What's the price? / Thirty twice." It is said that Ernest once drove through a tough, inner city neighborhood and pulled over when he saw a bum. When Gallo rolled down his window and called out, "What's the word?" the immediate answer from the bum was, "Thunderbird."

[account deactivated]
they started selling 40s in 'shatter proof' containers around here, which just means plastic, and is an inspiring vote of confidence in their customers
[account deactivated]
I am drinking a moscow mule. cross-posted from the vodka appreciation station
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

they don't sell 40s in florida, so you just buy multiple 32s. my ass! or cock!

Keep Florida Weird

Steel reserve is the best, its a delightful 8.5% abv. Also capping it at 32 oz in Florida is a horrible joke. The peoe who need it the most are most deprived

gyrofry posted:

But are you drinking it out of a copper mug? Otherwise I don't even

of course that's the whole point. Don't you only meat
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
I like to pair steel reserve with outdoor activities like bocce ball and alligator wrestling and whatnot

gyrofry posted:

of course that's the whole point. Don't you only meat

I have two copper mugs, I keep them for a rainy day when I can hopefully sell them to the metal man for enough to buy a 40.

This is strikingly similar to the schemes my clients have except it doesn't involve breaking and entering

they have forties in montreal idk about the rest of canada
theres a carling malt liquor
[account deactivated]
no.

i personally prefer the Bull and Mickeys but they dont rly have them here in NYC so I have to get st ides or cobra or OE
[account deactivated]

gyrofry posted:

Those are the shit