try saying "youtube michael parenti". cant hurt and its worth a shot
wow. sniping like crazy right now but what can i say, the posts are good
try saying stalin did nothing wrong,
i made masoor daal and saag aloo from a gujerati cookbook i found, and basically i never want to eat english food again
sorry i missed dadchat, but may i suggest hanging out with your dad unless you're absolutely convinced he's a totally irredeemably bad person. i.e. if you're just kind of on the fence or whatever. everyone has a story for why they are the way they are, and imo chances are you will probably be able to relate to it. my dad died a couple of years ago quite suddenly due to very fast acting ALS. we had an alright relationship in the last few years, but, you know. life is fleeting. get to know people when you can.

hope all goes well for your dad's surgery petrol. heart surgery is almost routine these days, thankfully.
thanks, that's comforting coming from a doctor.

seriously tho i went to his surgeon consult and was reassured by how routine he made it all sound, i mean i know the procedure is standard, but my dad is in his early 70s and he is pretty obese, so of course it's scary thinking of the risks of anaesthetic alone, but yeah, it should turn out okay, i'm generally feeling positive because what else am i gonna do.
thinking of everyone and their dads
[account deactivated]
irl i'm editing/translating party articles to english and it's really hard to tell how much of the stilted commie tone i'm expected to keep

Bablu posted:

irl i'm editing/translating party articles to english and it's really hard to tell how much of the stilted commie tone i'm expected to keep

pls no bad writing. we have suffered for a hundred years

Bablu posted:

ALL OF IT. cause a selfcrit session

Recently sent a text off to my dad, suggesting he go see the new Blade Runner, and got the response "Hollywood has a hate America problem". Didn't really know how to respond, having reactionary family members (in my case every adult member of my family) is depressing. everyone here who has leftist families, I envy you.

Dimashq posted:

Recently sent a text off to my dad, suggesting he go see the new Blade Runner, and got the response "Hollywood has a hate America problem". Didn't really know how to respond, having reactionary family members (in my case every adult member of my family) is depressing. everyone here who has leftist families, I envy you.

Let me talk to your dad

i had a really awesome nightmare last night that i was being crushed in air, like by really strong atmospheric pressure or something, and i looked around and people were all convulsing and their internal organs were bursting out through their skin, furniture and appliances in the room were crumpling in on themselves, buildings shaking, and then i looked down and my nipples were bleeding. it felt extremely real and extremely painful. it owned
I haven’t had dreams or nightmares in like a year and a half cos I cannot sleep

stegosaurus posted:

I haven’t had dreams or nightmares in like a year and a half cos I cannot sleep

weird, I usually dream the most when I crash after a couple days of insomnia.

toyotathon posted:

been havin settler dreams. the other night it meant getting drafted, helicopter dropped into some rural space and was told it was b/c my people needed more land. my first thought was 'shit, now i have to kill my CO'. that woke me up. last night i was back in my birthtown in the undeveloped hills where as a teen i'd roam. this dream was a little on the nose. i was walking with one of the exterminated indians, and at the top of the biggest hill we met this wealthy white guy with an RV who was like 'really love it here! i think i'll buy it!'. the indian woman was disgusted and disappeared and i thought 'shit, now i have to kill this fucker'.

what if the nightmare world of complicity in genocide and seemingly impossible obligations to resist is the real world... and the rhizzone is the dream???

stego you may have already tried this but when i really Need to sleep i take a few mg of melatonin. it usually makes me a bit foggy in the morning so i use it sparingly but it has the added benefit of giving me vivid dreams

toyotathon posted:

been havin settler dreams. the other night it meant getting drafted, helicopter dropped into some rural space and was told it was b/c my people needed more land. my first thought was 'shit, now i have to kill my CO'. that woke me up. last night i was back in my birthtown in the undeveloped hills where as a teen i'd roam. this dream was a little on the nose. i was walking with one of the exterminated indians, and at the top of the biggest hill we met this wealthy white guy with an RV who was like 'really love it here! i think i'll buy it!'. the indian woman was disgusted and disappeared and i thought 'shit, now i have to kill this fucker'.

what can i do to have cool dreams like this ?

TG posted:

stego you may have already tried this but when i really Need to sleep i take a few mg of melatonin. it usually makes me a bit foggy in the morning so i use it sparingly but it has the added benefit of giving me vivid dreams

when i take melatonin i get epileptic fits

littlegreenpills posted:

TG posted:

when i take melatonin i get epileptic fits

some guys have all the luck. this places you in some pretty augustcompany, including caligula, dostoyevsky, prince, danny glover, and v i lenin

[account deactivated]

tears posted:

toyotathon posted:

Besides melatonin, nicotine gives vivid dreams.

I’ve tried melatonin a bit but I don’t want to get dependent on it. I have to schedule an appointment to start cbt soon I just remembered.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i found some 300mcg melatonin pills and i will take 4-6. even one has helped though. i basically just take it around 9pm in the hopes that 11-12 hours is long enough for it to run its course and the grogginess is gone by the time i need to think

i agree dependence is a danger, so i basically will take it once a week at most. it seems that its a bad idea to take it daily, although its hard to find legit info on it
sleeping, you gotta do it right everyday or its way too easy to start rapidly falling apart. it took me a while to learn/accept the basics to solve sleep issues, so i'll post some in case anyone finds them useful.

stop all caffeine/stimulants. after two weeks of hell your body will be mostly adjusted and coffee will be as effective as low-dose amphetamines for when you need emergency energy..

only dytd around breakfast/lunchtime. alcohol might help you relax/passout at night but it has rebound effect a few hours later; once the GABA is metabolised it becomes excitatory glutamate = you will sleep like shit or wake up.

if you must eat late, eat light.

occasional wake and bake is ok, but in evening will mess things up. also you won't dream much or retain dreams well. which is missing out on one of the best things of sleeping.

aziz is right, irregular <1mg melatonin is best max dose in my experience. pharms like ambien will mostly make you forget staying awake, not actually encourage good sleep. benzos/opiates for sleep is bad slippery slope.

screens are slowly killing us. don't use them at night, if you must then use flu.x on dimmest setting (twilight for phone).

extended sleep ritual is really effective. when possible start "getting ready to sleep" at least 2 hours before you intend to feel sleepy. eg. use dim/warm lighting or wear sunglasses, change out of work clothes, chill music, phone on silent, brush teeth / shower, stretch, don't read shit that makes you angry, make a note of any pending tasks/thoughts so you can let it go until morning(better to wake up earlier if you have to, you'll be more effective and it will take less time)

if you feel you are running low in the day have short naps when possible (<30min), longer ones will fuck up your sleep schedule.

if you must skip sleep occasionally that ok, but it's best to skip a full 24hrs and go to sleep a few hours earlier the next night than break your schedule.

doing exercise / eating healthy is obviously essential, but there is already a thread for that. sweet dreams comrades.

toyotathon posted:

tears posted:

tell your partner you don't have any interest in owning the whites' bloody land, have a big fight, don't resolve it, let the problems work themselves out through snide comments and stress dreams

on second thoughts...

but mugwort, hell yes i know what that looks like its everywhere i will pick some if i can find some that isnt busy dying

making tea out of random plants because someone on the internet told me to
[account deactivated]

tears posted:

making tea out of random plants because someone on the internet told me to

mugwort is pretty good for dreams. another witch tip: calea zacatechichi can also help you trip balls in your sleep (bitter as fuck though).

sounds interesting but id have to buy that, whereas Artemisia is growing about a hundred meters from w here im lying rigfht now; cant wait to dream the shit out of somethin g
another way to get vivid dreams is to smoke weed erryday for a longass time and then take a day off. You won't remember most of your dreams but the ones after the day off are super intense
i took Silene Capensis or african dream root for a few weeks but it fucked me up, would not recommend.

as for good sleep i 100% agree with Gssh, exercise, regular schedule, and not eating before bed are great for sleep. i don't know about melatonin tho, if i really needed to pass out i would just take Valerian root or drink some chamomile tea
counterpoint: weed makes me dream when im awake. owned sleepailures.

Gssh posted:

sleeping, you gotta do it right everyday or its way too easy to start rapidly falling apart. it took me a while to learn/accept the basics to solve sleep issues, so i'll post some in case anyone finds them useful.

stop all caffeine/stimulants. after two weeks of hell your body will be mostly adjusted and coffee will be as effective as low-dose amphetamines for when you need emergency energy..

only dytd around breakfast/lunchtime. alcohol might help you relax/passout at night but it has rebound effect a few hours later; once the GABA is metabolised it becomes excitatory glutamate = you will sleep like shit or wake up.

if you must eat late, eat light.

occasional wake and bake is ok, but in evening will mess things up. also you won't dream much or retain dreams well. which is missing out on one of the best things of sleeping.

aziz is right, irregular <1mg melatonin is best max dose in my experience. pharms like ambien will mostly make you forget staying awake, not actually encourage good sleep. benzos/opiates for sleep is bad slippery slope.

screens are slowly killing us. don't use them at night, if you must then use flu.x on dimmest setting (twilight for phone).

extended sleep ritual is really effective. when possible start "getting ready to sleep" at least 2 hours before you intend to feel sleepy. eg. use dim/warm lighting or wear sunglasses, change out of work clothes, chill music, phone on silent, brush teeth / shower, stretch, don't read shit that makes you angry, make a note of any pending tasks/thoughts so you can let it go until morning(better to wake up earlier if you have to, you'll be more effective and it will take less time)

if you feel you are running low in the day have short naps when possible (<30min), longer ones will fuck up your sleep schedule.

if you must skip sleep occasionally that ok, but it's best to skip a full 24hrs and go to sleep a few hours earlier the next night than break your schedule.

doing exercise / eating healthy is obviously essential, but there is already a thread for that. sweet dreams comrades.

i agree with all of this 100%, not that i am very successful at putting it all into practice

3mg melatonin is insane and turns me into a psychological disaster the next day, i can't believe it's the recommended dose. it's the lowest size pill i've seen in canada so i always cut it into thirds(ish)

roseweird posted:

i don't have any dreams. does this mean i am innocent?

imo it means you either never fully enter deep sleep (which is improbable, if you are functional) or you just repress them because you can't integrate them even a little with your waking self-concept

[account deactivated]