[account deactivated]
also google j sakai
[account deactivated]
Uhhhhhhhhh fine. 'Smudging' is a term associates with the practice that various indigenous peoples of the americas have where there burn the dry leaves of plants with powerful scents for ceremonial purposes e.g. death in the family, consecrating stuff. I'm mad that kkklanadians are doing this in an extremely tone deaf way for seemingly no purpose other than 'its cool'
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
You're right I could avoid this by not having friends, but I've seen where that road goes before

Drunk, alone, yelling at people through my keyboard from America's penis

stegosaurus posted:

lol thats so bad. there was a smudging ceremony at a protest i went to a while ago and i didnt even feel comfortable participating in it. i thought it was weird that the guy doing it (who was native) just passed it around for anyone to do, idk if thats wrong or whatever.

that's fine. there's a pretty big difference between being invited in to participate by an indigenous person trying to make their culture meaningfully visible at a public event and going along out of solidarity, and deciding to hold your own DIY settler clown ritual. do some of your friends call themselves Witches too Belphy. that seems to go with the type

cool witch story time

last month I was helping a friend clean out the ancient run down bungalow he was renting in a neighborhood undergoing gentrification. this house had a lot of history being rented by left anarchist types, and the landlord had given everyone the "we're knocking this down to build a mcmansion" eviction notice earlier in the spring. on hearing this everyone with the fortunate combination of free time and money to pick up and move on whenever they like immediately left and rented a new place in a new run down neighborhood, declaring those who remained to be filthy gentrifiers. my friend was in a bad situation, had just moved in and wasn't prepared to immediately move out again, as opposed to the other inhabitants who had been there since their student days enjoying the cheap rent and hipstering out local poor families for years. these folks are completely immune to irony.

in the end my friend was declared anathema for renting this place for a whole two more months than the other people who had just skedaddled. and even more vitriol was thrown at the landlord and development company, who to be fair were real assholes. so we're doing final packing up and cleaning, and inside a cupboard that was supposed to be empty we find a box with "This was not here last time you looked" scribbled on it. spooooky! could have been more spooky if it wasn't a shaky scrawl of the worst penmanship I've ever seen in cheap blue ball point pen. decent concept, poor execution. so anyways inside this "curse box" were items apparently intended to hex the evil gentrifiers:
  • One (1) dragonfly husk in a cage of twigs
  • One (1) chunk of quartz in a jar of clear liquid, which I assume to have been "curse water" from the local independent latin grocery
  • Five (5) burnt out light bulbs with strips of black ribbon tied around them

It made a pretty satisfying crash as we threw it in the dumpster.
actually witchcraft is real actually

shriekingviolet posted:

in the end my friend was declared anathema for renting this place for a whole two more months than the other people who had just skedaddled.

Did your friend demand a buyout

I mean I'd never tell a native person to not do it obviously but it seemed like it was basically inviting impressionable non natives to imagine that they've gained access to something. But I'm not native and have no idea what the actual motivation was. That explanation you gave seems reasonable.
[account deactivated]

swampman posted:

Did your friend demand a buyout

Nah

tears posted:

actually witchcraft is real actually

it's real the same way that martial arts are real: invented by some dweebs in the 70s who wrote in fake paint by numbers backstory about ancient hallowed traditions that never really existed. but hey if martial arts keep you fit & healthy that's fine and if witchcraft lets you huddle up with a little meaning in your life against the howling of the void then sure whatever go for it, ain't hurtin nobody ain't really my business to judge and who knows maybe synthetic belief systems have some real potential.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
Martial arts are more real than witchcraft, because if you know tae kwon do you could kick a guy burning sage's ass, and he couldn't do shit
if a couple goofy wiccans doing arts & crafts makes you wail with despair it's no small wonder you burned out sometimes you just gotta learn to pick your battles and let the small things slide.
[account deactivated]

Meursault posted:

he couldn't do shit

he'd smell real good while you kicked his ass. judge rules aesthetic victory

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
its ok. we can hug it out. fair warning though: i smell overpoweringly of sage right now and it will get all over you.
[account deactivated]
like if you are within 8 yards of me it smells like someone just took a christmas turkey out of the oven. sorry: festivus turkey.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
really sorry somebody cursed you shriekingviolet, ive done what i can to undo this mistake despite your disbelief witchcraft, which is real
what thee hell is wicca though?
[account deactivated]
Burning good smelling herbs including sage for spiritual purposes is actually something that's been in practice in tons of cultures of all backgrounds throughout human history... I'm gonna go ahead and say no on that being cultural appropriation.. Sorry for the opinion