deadken posted:
kony 2012: oh dearism's deformed cousin

Things white people do in Africa #hilarious! #sotrue

these guys are such obvious scum, maybe they'll lose the social network war theyve started?
[account deactivated]

aerdil posted:
we'll probably find out in 30 years that most of their funding came from cia front groups

is there even any question? honestly

http://pmc-mag.com/2011/02/jason-russell/?full=content

4: Who is your biggest hero?

If Oprah, Steven Spielberg and Bono had a baby, I would be that baby.
this dude is like a conservative's hyper-caricature of an obama voter

deadken posted:

i divide the world into aesthetes and anaesthetes, both are utterly wretched and pathetic but for different reasons

discipline posted:
Aahahaha I was going to email them and ask for their annual report but they don't even have a contact email on the websitenevermind I found it, I'll go thru it later... I was right, no ugandans on the board

is there a real copy of their financials anywhere, as in audited & includes cash flows and balance sheet

Ironicwarcriminal posted:
http://demandnothing.org/making-the-invisible-visible/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=making-the-invisible-visible

One of their partners and donators is Chase Community Giving who awarded them $1million as a prize for winning a contest that was mired in controversy and accusations of fraud. This organisation is part of J.P. Morgan Chase Foundation who are also listed as one of Invisible Children’s network of supporters. This organisation is also owner of Chase Military, an organisation that offers loans, mortgages and insurance to soldiers that are to be deployed abroad. J.P. Morgan have also used foreign military interventions in the past to secure investment opportunities such as in Afghanistan with the full support of the US Government. Further ties with Uganda include their recent investment in Ugandan agribusiness and their ties as broker and adviser to Heritage Oil, whose operations are expanding into the border of Uganda and the Congo where the LRA are currently based. Situating these operations with their support of Invisible Children in the past year, it seems that J.P. Morgan are very interested in Uganda’s assets and are looking for means to foster business-friendly awareness of Uganda’s problems for their own benefit. Military intervention would do nothing but bolster J.P. Morgans profitmaking opportunities in the region.

demandnothing is #1 lf diaspora blog (since dm stopped updating lol)

deadken posted:

yeah that adam curtis joint came to mind when i saw it too, but i always thought of ohdearism as having a helpless, despondent sort of character i.e. "i wish there was something we could do to help, but there isnt. oh dear" which befits a jaded former imperial power

whereas this is appealing to liberal activism, the "cmon yall we can do this" of a superpower in denial of its decline

cleanhands posted:

deadken posted:

yeah that adam curtis joint came to mind when i saw it too, but i always thought of ohdearism as having a helpless, despondent sort of character i.e. "i wish there was something we could do to help, but there isnt. oh dear" which befits a jaded former imperial power

whereas this is appealing to liberal activism, the "cmon yall we can do this" of a superpower in denial of its decline

actually wasn't apart of the ohdearism that the money was also going to help the murders take refuge in the aid camp? it sounded like it was guilt about a catastrophic mistake

discipline posted:
nevermind I found it, I'll go thru it later... I was right, no ugandans on the board

well you'll probably want to see this http://i.imgur.com/Y8K1Q.png

lowtax has made a subforum of d&d called Kony Island
unbelievable, im gonna sue him in england for copyright infringement
Aha I just got an email saying IC will be visiting the school where I work for two assemblies in April. One of the teachers has a friend on their board.

germanjoey posted:
seriously, that part with his kids "So, who is the bad man? And what should we do with the bad man?" was perhaps the most vile and emotionally exploitative exposition i have ever experienced

he talks to grown africans the same way basically

Hurricane_Faggot posted:
http://pmc-mag.com/2011/02/jason-russell/?full=content4: Who is your biggest hero?

If Oprah, Steven Spielberg and Bono had a baby, I would be that baby.

6: What are some things you love? And some things you hate?

I love:
Brewing my own beer, watching documentaries, bouncing on the bed with my children, traveling to undiscovered places, forgiveness, cheese and Mumford & Sons.

Never one to lean away from candour toward tact, Smith is unafraid of voicing his opinions on “these new bands”… “We were playing a festival in Dublin the other week,” he starts, with an undeniably mischievous tone. “There was this other group like, warming up in the next sort of chalet, and they were terrible. I said ‘shut them c***s up,’ and they were still warming up, so I threw a bottle at them. The band said ‘that’s Sons Of Mumford,’ or something, ‘they’re number 5 in charts!’ I just thought they were a load of retarded Irish folk singers.”

11: What turns you on?

Pregnant women. (This is not a joke).
I love:

brewing my own beer, watching documentaries, squirting semen in my wife so she can make more people that look like me, the amazing sheen of black flesh (its so soft, too...), telling everyone I'm a radical, and lobbying the united states government to enable and train foreign paramilitary organizations.

BoogerTWashington posted:

discipline posted:
nevermind I found it, I'll go thru it later... I was right, no ugandans on the board

lmao

this is an interesting experiment but the CIA screwed up a bit. that picture with the white dudes is way too awkward and allows people to criticize this as not being "authentic or "you don't really care until right now" which is what I've mostly been seeing on facebook. really should have found some black americans or africans to act as the face of facebook imperialism in this case, that would definitely be authentic and lead to a hushing of criticism, even from the left, with something about privilege or whatever.
[account deactivated]

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

discipline posted:

lmao

what am i lookin at here

This could be a really interesting thread. I've been looking at the economic numbers for the relevant actors in the region (CAR, Rwanda, DRC, Sudan/South Sudan, Kenya) and of course China is the main trade partner and economic actor in the region. Second are various European states, often but not always the former colonial masters. This is all good when the economy is fine and the USA has South America as it's backyard, but the collapse of the economy and the soon to come collapse of the Euro, the backing of finance capitalism pushing for a massive increase in imperialist projects under Obama, and the various proxy struggles in Africa between the west and the east (South Sudan project, Libyan occupation, escalation in Uganda after the massive oil well discovery in 2009) all point in one direction. I feel like I'm living in 1912 and I can see the next world war coming, but I don't see how we can stop it or if anyone will survive to 2020.

This CIA facebook thing is interesting as a new-ish experiment in social media propaganda which worked OK, and Obama is clearly testing the waters in Uganda with the LRA propaganda line, but the new African imperialism is totally unexplored imo. Maybe someone has a good blog or knows a lot and can connect the dots between all these countries, how the Chinese imperialist model which is being followed by South Korea, India, and the UAE from what I can tell is unfolding as new alliances and resource wars, how oil wars are going to geographically unfold when peak oil approaches, how Israeli investment in Africa will unfold (I think Israel/Iran is the "powder keg"). Ironically, the Keystone XL pipeline cancellation may be the worst thing for the environment and humanity, since we have to get our oil from somewhere.

e: Forgot to mention Somalia, things are escalating there as well under the Obama drone program. Elections are this year, we'll see how far NATO will go to enforce them.

Edited by babyhueypnewton ()

israel makes a killing on diamonds coming out of DRC

babyhueypnewton posted:
Ironically, the Keystone XL pipeline cancellation may be the worst thing for the environment and humanity, since we have to get our oil from somewhere.

this is tangential but its worth keeping in mind that full-scale extraction from the tar sands guarantees the destruction of the watersheds feeding one of the few breadbasket areas that will be relatively unaffected by droughts in the medium term, as well as another couple hundred ppm CO2 and therefore a probable long-term end to the holocene

cleanhands posted:

crustpunk_trotsky posted:

discipline posted:

lmao

what am i lookin at here

they maintain funds in a cayman islands account, which have no filing or disclosure records

babyhueypnewton posted:
This could be a really interesting thread. I've been looking at the economic numbers for the relevant actors in the region (CAR, Rwanda, DRC, Sudan/South Sudan, Kenya) and of course China is the main trade partner and economic actor in the region. Second are various European states, often but not always the former colonial masters. This is all good when the economy is fine and the USA has South America as it's backyard, but the collapse of the economy and the soon to come collapse of the Euro, the backing of finance capitalism pushing for a massive increase in imperialist projects under Obama, and the various proxy struggles in Africa between the west and the east (South Sudan project, Libyan occupation, escalation in Uganda after the massive oil well discovery in 2009) all point in one direction. I feel like I'm living in 1912 and I can see the next world war coming, but I don't see how we can stop it or if anyone will survive to 2020.

This CIA facebook thing is interesting as a new-ish experiment in social media propaganda which worked OK, and Obama is clearly testing the waters in Uganda with the LRA propaganda line, but the new African imperialism is totally unexplored imo. Maybe someone has a good blog or knows a lot and can connect the dots between all these countries, how the Chinese imperialist model which is being followed by South Korea, India, and the UAE from what I can tell is unfolding as new alliances and resource wars, how oil wars are going to geographically unfold when peak oil approaches, how Israeli investment in Africa will unfold (I think Israel/Iran is the "powder keg"). Ironically, the Keystone XL pipeline cancellation may be the worst thing for the environment and humanity, since we have to get our oil from somewhere.

e: Forgot to mention Somalia, things are escalating there as well under the Obama drone program. Elections are this year, we'll see how far NATO will go to enforce them.

http://www.hulkshare.com/xqniqhpbi9ud
NOT SAYING THERE AINT NOTHING WRONG WITH KONY, BUT LET'S REALIZE THIS MEDIA SHIT IS PHONY
so invisible children the money you making off donations of a non profit organization help feed your organization. the salary you making is the money that you taking. why you saying you giving people blessings? the blessing is vacant
[account deactivated]
theyre blessing themselves with phat lewt
http://www.crikey.com.au/2012/03/09/kony-video-social-media-manipulation-analysis/

Unless you’ve managed, miraculously, to avoid the Kony 2012 video, you’ll understand now why the US military is investing in technology to create fake online identities with the aim of influencing social media. At least one of the armies of the future is made up of sock puppets.

Sock puppets aren’t much good for hunting warlords, of course, but they can potentially be very effective at manipulating tens of thousands or, in this case, millions of people, to support sending in real troops — supposedly even though Westerners are sick of failed military interventions.

The Kony video is an amalgam of every manipulative social media cliché and cyber-utopian stereotype (ruthlessly nailed in the Kony drinking game): the white paternalism, the Hollywood stars, the tightly edited graphics and edgy images (graffiti! face masks!), the earnest narration, the message that social media can change the world, the solipsism that nothing is quite real until white middle-class Westerners know about it, all in the name of justifying unilateral US intervention in Uganda.

Oh, which has a lot of oil, by the way, but we won’t indulge some of the more lurid conspiracy theories circulating online. Nor dwell on the gratuitous errors and omissions that litter the video. It’s not as if there hasn’t been an inaccurate internet yarn before, going right back to the days of the Neiman-Marcus cookie story.

But the beauty is that now there can be a seamless transition from social to mainstream media. The latter now only take a day or two to catch up with what’s happening online. Thus Ten ran the full video and The Project extensively, and nearly entirely uncritically, discussed it, bringing the professionally annoying Todd Sampson on to analyse it.

Even when the campaign’s many problematic aspects were exposed, it did little to dampen the enthusiasm of some. Fairfax blogger Sam De Brito, whose normal beat is the frustrations of having a p-nis, embraced the campaign enthusiastically, under the line “the greatest idea of our generation”. Strangely, that line has since vanished from De Brito’s piece as the dodgy claims and record of the group concerned, Invisible Children, came under scrutiny. De Brito was having none of it, claiming he’d never been more disgusted than about the cynicism about the campaign. “Now you know who Kony is. What is that worth?” he frothed.

Well, not much. The Kony campaign is an internet meme. It’ll be replaced by another meme next week, even among those who bought the wristband — there will, after all, always be another wristband. It’s only a meme because there’s no organic, real-world substance to it. This isn’t a campaign driven by the people of East Africa — relentlessly infantilised in the video — but by white Westerners high-fiving each other online about their social conscience in a giant round of moral masturb-tion.

There’s no communication between Westerners perched over their keyboards (or, worse yet, reclining on their sofas) and those people who’ve been exposed to this conflict since the 1980s. Ugandans and internet users from other African countries quickly came online to respond to the video, but chances are 99% of the however many tens of millions of people who watched the video won’t bother seeking out the views of people who actually live there. That’s a click too far.

Compare the social media engagement in the Arab Spring, which saw protesters in Tunisia, Egypt and other countries using social media tools to organise and communicate with each other and their own communities, with the level of online engagement with the protests inside each country and within the region growing as the protests developed, but also enabling Western social media users to view first hand what was happening on the ground.

The Kony campaign doesn’t purport to resemble the Arab Spring, of course, but it is a compilation of every criticism levelled at “cyberutopians” in relation to the Arab Spring.

Nonetheless, the sheer speed with which the cause was taken up unthinkingly by so many people must have companies and governments excited.

The ease with which people can be manipulated isn’t a reflection on the internet — people have always been easy to manipulate. But the interconnectedness provided by social media facilitates manipulation like it facilitates any other form of propaganda or communication of any kind. That’s why, within moments of the video appearing, there was fact-checking, analysis and criticism of it available online for those interested. But unlike the video, the scepticism wasn’t viral.

The internet allows you now manipulate on a larger scale, and more quickly, particularly if you give people some agency in their dissemination of your propaganda. Thus the interest of the military-industrial complex in social media as a tool of manipulation (not aimed at US citizens, the US Central Command assured the press at the time, because as we know cyberspace rigorously adheres to national borders). Imagine the Israeli government preparing a slick video about the savage treatment of women activists in Iran and seeding it online in the hope that it goes viral, lifting the pressure on the US government for an attack.

The problem for would-be military manipulators of course is that next week the rage will be replaced by something else — fawning over baby sloths, laughing at classic movies subtitled for African-Americans (so hilarious, right?), the next Rebecca Black. Keeping people emotionally aroused is the problem. One to which the finest military and intelligence minds are likely devoting considerable attention. Remember that oil in Uganda.

Obaminator: Uganda, remember when I said you were the last country on the list for military intervention? I lied.
[account deactivated]
What did you do with Kony?

I let him go......
[account deactivated]
If there is a world war three in africa I think that the United States/Europe will win with a big assist from Turkey/Iran/Nigeria/Brazil