what does 50% even mean?

NoFreeWill posted:

david graeber wrote a baffler piece in which he claimed that atoms/molecules play to account for consciousness' material basis lol.

i dont see why it would be that hard to actually write about the material basis for consciousness (which actually has people studying it, and learning things?) rather than some sort of dumb homunculism. i remember reading some famous cognitive philosopher's wiki page (thomas nagel?) and he said in the introduction that basically everything knew about the actual science came from popsci books.

once pfizer discovers the material basis for consciousness we are gonna see some big changes around this place
yea thats exactly what im talking about.
pfizer, well known center for basic research on the mind and the origins of consciousness
consciousness doesn't exist we just perceive it
substitute yr favorite source of funding for research seman
i the point of that graeber article was less "i believe in panpsychism and you should too" as "panpsychism makes as much sense as an answer for unanswered questions concerning the origins of minds as any other, but society has defaulted to equally (in)plausible deterministic ideas because of a bias towards narrow utilitarianism which in turn exists because it is the organizing spirit behind a capitalist economy." i liked it, and i like the baffler. but, i'm a liberal

gyrofry posted:

substitute yr favorite source of funding for research seman

NIH? NSF?

once NIH discovers the material basis for consciousness we are gonna see some big changes around this place
but someone with no knowledge of or interest in actual scientific developments in the fields is totally cool
wario has a butt chin
Wat is the dadline for this contast

gyrofry posted:

once NIH discovers the material basis for consciousness we are gonna see some big changes around this place

its gonna be something really stupid and obvious like "the brain" or "being alive" or whatever and everyone's gonna say "i could have told you that!" but they don't understand how science is performed.

[account deactivated]
yeah that kind of sloppy thinking will never get you a tenure track position
heres my criticism of the baffler: they published an essay by this guy

That's in 4 days from the date this post was posted! That's less than 5 days
Is that a final deadline or can I get an extra like, 2-5 days?

hello, thebaffler.

worthless posted:

.custom227002{}NoFreeWill posted:david graeber wrote a baffler piece in which he claimed that atoms/molecules play to account for consciousness' material basis lol.

I liked that article a lot, and shared it with friends and family.

it was ok except for that part, but it would be better if he actually knew anything about play, which he doesn't. as a play researcher, I

the assumption of panpsychism that consciousness must somehow be based on something, esp. something that's everywhere to mimic materiality is really dumb.

thirdplace posted:

i the point of that graeber article was less "i believe in panpsychism and you should too" as "panpsychism makes as much sense as an answer for unanswered questions concerning the origins of minds as any other, but society has defaulted to equally (in)plausible deterministic ideas because of a bias towards narrow utilitarianism which in turn exists because it is the organizing spirit behind a capitalist economy." i liked it, and i like the baffler. but, i'm a liberal

same

"playful molecules" makes as much sense as "selfish gene" was, I think the point.
shitful butts

swampman posted:

With restrictions that unrealistic you'd think the prize would be something bigger than a subscriptionq

ilmdge posted:

swampman posted:

With restrictions that unrealistic you'd think the prize would be something bigger than a subscriptionq

The best part about a baffler subscription is by the time you get another issue you literally have no idea what the baffler is again

https://foursquare.com/v/starbucks/4fc9457cd4f24895b4467912

discipline posted:

Like, the caliber of work here is kinda bad, even articles posted to the front page seem sometimes like a proud mom putting her kid's art on the fridge (many of them are mine full disclosure). We all have the capacity to produce work that exceeds the Baffler or anywhere else in quality but we hate ourselves, which is how you know we're sincere about our politics. Joey saw the promise and build us this wonderworld. That's why daddy left us forever.

i dont work for free

if u guys paid i would have this place humming like a mfer

i will pay bf to post here. in advance. bf do not post from now on until i send you money.

littlegreenpills posted:

i will pay bf to post here. in advance. bf do not post from now on until i send you money.

u got venmo

i've been engaging in a posting slowdown until we get a proper union for months now
extend the deadline and then ban swampman if he doesn't write it

discipline posted:

Like, the caliber of work here is kinda bad, even articles posted to the front page seem sometimes like a proud mom putting her kid's art on the fridge (many of them are mine full disclosure). We all have the capacity to produce work that exceeds the Baffler or anywhere else in quality but we hate ourselves, which is how you know we're sincere about our politics. Joey saw the promise and build us this wonderworld. That's why daddy left us forever.

i think some of us just don't want to draw attention to ourselves here

yeah the reason that there isn't a lot of really good writing here is that a bunch of writers really don't want to draw attention to themselves, a noted characteristic of writers
well say there were some of us who drew attention to ourselves regularly through our writing, and we didn't want a long piece with all our writing habits and tics attached to a Web site where someone posted the pressure cooker bomb instructions from Inspire

discipline posted:

this is so fucking catholic

daddyholes posted:

well say there were some of us who drew attention to ourselves regularly through our writing, and we didn't want a long piece with all our writing habits and tics attached to a Web site where someone posted the pressure cooker bomb instructions from Inspire

lol

hey I'm not going to drag because you're helping me get papers but i think you know what i mean about how this becomes a different proposition after you get out of school c_man. this site is full of crazy people who have also proven themselves willing to stalk others for sadistic pleasure or weird years-old grudges. its pretty great

jools posted:

discipline posted:

this is so fucking catholic

i don't hate myself. i'm wonderful.