Why do we relish in it so? Why do we structure our societies around the subjugation of others? I’m finding it increasingly hard to believe in some fundamental goodness or altruism in humankind that would enable us to build a society not based on exploitation or subjugation.

Where does it come from, this deep well of anger and contempt that leads men to wield the whip, the gun the ledger whose purpose in life is to further entrench the miseries and suffering of others. Do other animals suffer from this? I know that chimps are meant to be primitive but they’ve never organized genocides or famines or nightmarish prison systems designed to break and destroy the psychology of other chimps.

Original Sin? Human Nature? These explanations aren’t enough: why are humans, compared to all other animals, so deeply, deeply morally contemptible?
brilliant fucking thread
society's erasure of male rape.

babyhueypnewton posted:

brilliant fucking thread

thanks, do you have any thoughts on the topic?

chimps are psychotic cannibal murderer rapists

Goethestein posted:

chimps are psychotic cannibal murderer rapists

but humans are all those things and worse, no other animal on earth can match human beings for their history of hatred, viciousness and the ingenuity in devising new forms of harm to cause each other

and that's without even mentioning what we do to animals

oh yeah, humans are vermin. here's a perspective for you: humans today are the nicest they've ever been.
it's hard not losing faith in humanity but try to remember there are people out there trying to help others. for example: http://www.kiva.org/

Goethestein posted:

oh yeah, humans are vermin. here's a perspective for you: humans today are the nicest they've ever been.

Not really, even if we’re not slaughtering each other in the west we’re still redirecting our cruelty towards entertainment….there may be less violence as a response but the impulse to be cruel is just as strong as ever

"Because without the bitter, baby, the sweet ain't as sweet." - Jason Lee, Vanilla Sky.
lol i love morcheeba
There may be a bit of reptile in everyone. Impulses can be explored and relieved somewhat safely through drama and (blood)sport.

AmericanNazbro posted:

it's hard not losing faith in humanity but try to remember there are people out there trying to help others. for example: http://www.kiva.org/

You bring up a good point. Many of us are so quick to dismiss the world as hopeless, but one look at a project like One Laptop Per Child or Kiva proves that empathy is not dead and multitudes of wonderful humanitarians are working day and night to improve the lives of the less fortunate in the global society we now live in. I want that iPad.

it's going to be cool waking up after we die and starting to figure out what life was about. i mean i'm cool with that happening a long time from now for me, but i mean... like... god probably has a cool plan.
Most everybody probably sees themselves as good and helpful even if they are none of those things in actuality. I can see how the ignorant soldier might come off as evil to the Afghan child when the soldier is really just a big dummy.
Actually people are really loving, idiot, and only in the perspective of our great, deep, undying Love can we even hypothesize cruelty. Fool

getfiscal posted:

it's going to be cool waking up after we die and starting to figure out what life was about. i mean i'm cool with that happening a long time from now for me, but i mean... like... god probably has a cool plan.

why not face the facts today?

Crow posted:

Actually people are really loving, idiot, and only in the perspective of our great, deep, undying Love can we even hypothesize cruelty. Fool

i'm not saying they can't be Loving, but historically it seems like cruelty is a far greater impulse

bong_san_suu_kyi posted:

Crow posted:

i'm not saying they can't be Loving, but historically it seems like cruelty is a far greater impulse

Anyway, Love is fidelity to Truth and is like the only true testament to humanity. cruelty is a weak position of disappointment and desparation. You step on an ant because you dont care, it's not cruelty, but if you stomp ants on purpose it is because you are Weak and Weird.

Weird Worlds

Likewise: only a cub idiot lion baby plays with their food in a sadistic manner. Killers kill...

does the gazelle need to say hello and Good bye to Lion? Does the fish beg Forgive And Let Live to the Falcone? Am i not a MAN? -Nietzsche

. This is no cruelty.. it is Weird worlds... you freaky guys

What slavery did Taj mahal built *BEEP* Wrong it was built Of Love. What is the Message of the Man Jesus. Love thats right. And guess a third question:

At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love..

? Who said this? Look down onto your shirt Oh thats right Che guevara. JEsus christ. Anyway so the answer is Love is what makes slightly less rickety boats and not big faggy ones like that sink & people drown in. 1 Love

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

Please publish to front page.
Mostly Fucktardedness, op.
1 love #cosmicweed

the frantic search for something out there that can explain what went so horribly wrong with our perfect selves is how you avoid recognizing the evil within
i like some todd snider songs.
this is my favorite todd snider song

probably videogames

Makeshift_Swahili posted:

probably videogames

mods change my name back to Lana Del Rey Against The Machine

Let us go then to the extreme! The extreme is this: Living things
are not put to death by external forces which surpass them, as in
Spinoza; they die, they go to death by an internal movement:
"everything living dies for internal reasons the aim of all life
is death." Better--or worse?--life itself is not the will to
change, to develop, but the will to conserve itself: if death is the
aim of life, all of life's organic developments are but detours toward
death, and the so-called conservative instincts are but the organism's
attempts to defend its own fashion of dying, its particular
path to death.

The replacement of the libido by Eros points to a very specific
purpose of the new instinct theory. If the living substance goes to
death by an inner movement, what fights against death is not something
internal to life, but the conjugation of two mortal substances.
Freud calls this conjugation Eros; the desire of the other is directly
implied in the emergence of Eros; it is always with another that the
living substance fights against death, against its own death, whereas
when it acts separately it pursues death through the circuitous paths
of adaptation to the natural and cultural environment. Freud does
not look for the drive for life in some will to live inscribed in each
living substance: in the living substance by itself he finds only
death.

humans are exceptionally cruel because they are the only animals smart enough to recognize that empathy is merely a functionally neutral mammal instinct, to be ignored when inconvenient
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
How does my gender fit into this equation?

Answer: how did you even find a pair of pants you can fit into, let alone gender-!
homo sapiens is a young species and it seems to be one of the few species capable of problem solving and modifying its own mannerisms both on an individual level as well as on a social level (in which it is probably unique).

so, looking at all the other asshole creatures pointlessly frolicking about this planet i'd say humanity is probably on the right track.
is this the VO narration that got cut from the thin red line?
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

capable of yet always failing to do so is worse than not being capable of

humans arguably suffer a lot less than our animal counterparts, mostly due to the benevolence of other humans.

could've been worse, was worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SS3E1H_P24&t=6m8s

They love this movie.. IN FRANCE
[account deactivated]