sade is kewl
tsargon update: finished the hamlet, it was excellent. the tale of a poverty riddled missippi village that becomes even more poverty riddled when a middle class FUCK shows up who has no respect for any sort of human institution other than money.

excellent portraits of poor folk, he did a bang up job re-producing the different sort of human reactions people have to such material states. i fucking hate steinbeck-type shit where everyone who is poor has Soulful Eyes and Beaten Down Souls, that sort of idealization pisses me off because it always strikes as very paternal, very 'oh those poor people however do they get along like that'.

Edited by Tsargon ()

After finishing Debt I started The Many-Headed Hydra: The Hidden History of the Revolutionary Atlantic by Peter Linebaugh, Marcus Rediker

"For most readers the tale told here will be completely new. For those already well acquainted with the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, the image of that age which they have been so carefully taught and cultivated will be profoundly challenged."—David Montgomery, author of Citizen Worker

Long before the American Revolution and the Declaration of the Rights of Man, a motley crew of sailors, slaves, pirates, laborers, market women, and indentured servants had ideas about freedom and equality that would forever change history. The Many Headed-Hydra recounts their stories in a sweeping history of the role of the dispossessed in the making of the modern world.

When an unprecedented expansion of trade and colonization in the early seventeenth century launched the first global economy, a vast, diverse, and landless workforce was born. These workers crossed national, ethnic, and racial boundaries, as they circulated around the Atlantic world on trade ships and slave ships, from England to Virginia, from Africa to Barbados, and from the Americas back to Europe.

Marshaling an impressive range of original research from archives in the Americas and Europe, the authors show how ordinary working people led dozens of rebellions on both sides of the North Atlantic. The rulers of the day called the multiethnic rebels a "hydra" and brutally suppressed their risings, yet some of their ideas fueled the age of revolution. Others, hidden from history and recovered here, have much to teach us about our common humanity.

"A landmark in the development of an Atlantic perspective on early American history. Ranging from Europe to Africa to the Caribbean and North America, it makes us think in new ways about the role of working people in the making of the modern world."—Eric Foner, author of The Story of American Freedom

"What would the world look like had the levelers, the diggers, the ranters, the slaves, the castaways, the Maroons, the Gypsies, the Indians, the Amazons, the Anabaptists, the pirates . . . won? Peter Linebaugh and Marcus Rediker show us what could have been by exhuming the revolutionary dreams and rebellious actions of the first modern proletariat, whose stories~until now~were lost at sea. They have recovered a sunken treasure chest of history and historical possibility and spun these lost gems into a swashbuckling narrative full of labor, love, imagination, and startling beauty."—Robin D. G. Kelley, author of Yo' Mama's Disfunktional!

"The Many-Headed Hydra is about connections others have denied, ignored, or underemployed. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, Europe, Africa, and the Americas came together to create a new economy and a new class of working people. Peter Linebaugh and Marcus Rediker tell their story with deep sympathy and profound insight. . . . A work of restoration and celebration of a world too long hidden from view."—Ira Berlin, author of Many Thousands Gone: The First Two Centuries of Slavery in North America

"More than just a vivid illustration of the gains involved in thinking beyond the boundaries between nation-states. Here, in incendiary form, are essential elements for a people's history of our dynamic, transcultural present."—Paul Gilroy, author of The Black Atlantic

"This is a marvelous book. Linebaugh and Rediker have done an extraordinary job of research into buried episodes and forgotten writings to recapture, with eloquence and literary flair, the lost history of resistance to capitalist conquest on both sides of the Atlantic."—Howard Zinn, author of A People's History of the United States

So far the first chapter is a really interesting addendum to the Foundations of American Civilization class I'm taking, covering almost all of the exact same subjects but providing an alternative narrative and filling in some of the gaps (in particular the significance and details surrounding the wrecking of the Sea-Venture in Bermuda

i just bought Boredom by Alberto Moravia on salse. it looked interesting, anyone read it?
Reading Caliban and the Witch and From Hell per forum's suggestion
Also James Herriot
im reading, fuckign, postmodernism, or, the cultural logic of late capitalism, by, fuckign, frederic jameson
Of Grammatology, and Locus Solus

deadken posted:
im fuckign, fuckign, frederic jameson

sweet, tie this in w/conspiracy theory and you really go places

but you don't seem happy about it?!
You're better off reading classics than more-obscure-than-thou nonsense

lungfish posted:
You're better off reading classics than more-obscure-than-thou nonsense

grumblefish???

picked up the Collected Works of John Dewey today for 3 bucks at a yard sale.

also, at the same sale, "Now, Are You Ready to Learn About Economics?" by Lyndon LaRouche. the front cover is like the title written in redhot times new roman superimposed over "The Garden of Earthly Delights" by Hieronymus Bosch lmao. Real Hot Stuff.

edit: here is the cover: Lyndon LaRouche ftw...

Edited by germanjoey ()

WOOT
i finished beyond good and evil last week, now i'm working my way through anti-oedipus amidst all of my schoolwork. it owns.
tell me how anti oedipus goes. i find it pretty unreadable.

i'm rereading hunger by knut hamsun, reading either/or by kierkegaard (highly recommended. it owns, it owns), then i'm gonna read some hermann broch, and finish the man without qualities by musil, then maybe go back and read some more kundera
i must pee publicly everyday realtalk

Impper posted:
tell me how anti oedipus goes. i find it pretty unreadable.

zizek says anti-oedipus is deleuze's worst work; but, im findin' pretty alright so far... maybe it helps im probably schizophrenic

either/or owns
i kind of liked where they were going w/ antioedipus but in practice i didn't really enjoy (or finish) it
lets all care what zizek says blurr then lets listen to the commentary on professional sports and be irl retarded
agreed
im reading Paper Empire: William Gaddis and the World System and its pretty cool

deadken posted:
im reading, fuckign, postmodernism, or, the cultural logic of late capitalism, by, fuckign, frederic jameson

i was supposed to read the first chapter of that for school once, but i didn't...and i still got an a! shows you what teachers know...

babyfinland posted:
After finishing Debt

that debt book is cool, thank u for posting about it, thank u

AHAHAHAHAHA i just went to a bookshop and bought some books. they were, the myth of sisyphus, badiou's pocket pantheon, the idea of communism (ed. by slovenly slavoj) & the deleuze dictionary

deadken posted:
AHAHAHAHAHA i just went to a bookshop and bought some books. they were, the myth of sisyphus, badiou's pocket pantheon, the idea of communism (ed. by slovenly slavoj) & the deleuze dictionary

Read the Myth of Sisyphus. Then throw the rest away.

my thoughts on the Many-Headed Hydra:

I don't normally put down history books but this one has quickly become grating. There's little narrative coherency (in the sense of building some sort of comprehensible idea of what is going on in the historical period), and it seems like it's just cheerleading for those the "excluded" through dramatic snapshots of oppressor vs oppressed, with continual reference to the Hercules vs Hydra myth that is interesting in a incidental sort of way but hardly of any explanatory value. I am certainly open to these sorts of histories, but I prefer an actual historical analysis rather than a sort of fairy tale recasting of good guys and bad guys. The constant projection of proto-Marxist ideology onto the protagonists' efforts is annoying as well, since it's founded on the authors' interpretations of the data rather than supported by the data itself. Obvious biases are fine (to me) if the evidence can justify it and is appreciable in its own right, but it seems to me they come at it with an overriding ideological prejudice and a heavy-handed point to prove. Yes, common Englishmen probably were seeking, to some extent, to regain some of what they lost in the Enclosure movement when setting out across the Atlantic but to argue that these were 17th C Communists (in a word) is reaching.

There are some interesting tidbits and anecdotes, and they flesh out the Sea-Venture episode nicely, (especially regarding Shakespeare), but the try-hard authors and lack of discipline in the narrative construction really cause the book to fail, in my opinion. I may be harsh, but it was disappointing to discover that this book was little more than a pop history from a particular political perspective than something more substantial.

lungfish posted:

deadken posted:

Read the Myth of Sisyphus. Then throw the rest away.

read my dick & balls and write a critical essay

I finished "On Writing" by Stephen King. It was pretty good , def worth reading imo

Last night I started reading Before Homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic World, 1500-1800 by Khaled El-Rouayheb which seems pretty good. So far he's mentioned that the arabs didn't have sexual modalities determined by the partner, as we do (homosexual, pederast), but determinations founded in the act (eg active sodomite, passive sodomite). Also that scholars of great repute might compose almost-erotic love poetry for "beardless youths" one day and then give a sermon on the severe sinfulness of sodomy the next. This can be explained by the fact that the shari'a forbids only the act of sodomy itself and forbids also making forbidden what God has allowed (i.e. the innovation of prohibitions), and so long as confessions or incitements to forbidden acts are not made, it was socially and culturally acceptable. Being the active sodomite carried with it less sexual and more aggressive connotations, and a lot of war poetry spoke of sodomizing enemies (though of course this was frowned upon). Passive sodomites were considered to have a medical / psychological condition and generally pitied rather than castigated. Accusations of sodomy were taken very seriously, and to accuse someone without proof (which required two pious witnesses of the penetration) held serious consequences, so rarely was there ever any actual judicial action taken.

I also started reading On Becoming a Novelist by John Gardner (who wrote the excellent Art of Fiction as well). It's pretty good so far, I like Gardner a lot. Continuing to make my way through Paper Empire as well. It's alright, I think I'm just enjoying reading about Gaddis more than finding the essays themselves especially insightful.
what does he say about becoming a novelist?

The writer who cares chiefly or exclusively about language is poorly equipped for novel-writing in the usual sense because his character and personality are wrong for writing novels. Those who inordinately love words as words are of a character type distinct enough, at least in broad outline, to be recognizable almost at a glance. Words seem inevitably to distance us from the brute existents (real trees, stones, yawling babies) that words symbolize and, in our thought processes, tend to replace. At any rate, so philosophers like Hobbes, Nietzsche, and Heidegger have maintained, and our experience with punsters seems to confirm the opinion. When a man makes a pun in a social situation, no one present can doubt—however we may admire the punster and the pun —that the punster has momentarily drawn back, disengaging himself, making connections he could not think of if he were fully involved in the social moment. For example, if we are admiring the art treasures of a family named Cheuse and the punster remarks, "Beggars can't be Cheuses!" we know at once that the punster is not peering deeply and admiringly into the Turner landscape at hand. The person profoundly in love with words may make an excellent poet, composer of crossword puzzles, or Scrabble player; he may write novel-like things which a select group admires; but he will probably not in the end prove a first-rate novelist.

For several reasons (first, because of his personality, which keeps the world of brute existence at arm's length), he is not likely to feel passionate attachment to the ordinary, mainstream novel. The novel's unashamed engagement with the world—the myriad details that make character come alive, the sustained fascination with the gossip surrounding the lives of imaginary beings, the naive emphasis on what happened next and what, precisely, the weather was that day—all these are likely to seem, to the word fanatic, silly and tedious; he feels himself buried in litter. And no one is much inclined to spend days, weeks, years, imitating an existence he does not really like in the first place. The word fanatic may love certain very special, highly intellectual novelists (Stendhal, Flaubert, Robbe-Grillet, the Joyce of Finnegans Wake, possibly Nabokov), but he is likejy to admire only for their secondary qualities novelists whose chief strength is the hurly-burly of vividly imitated reality (Dickens, Stevenson, Tolstoy, Melville, Bellow). I do not mean that the person primarily interested in linguistic artifice is blocked from all appreciation of good books whose main appeal comes from character and action; nor do I mean that, because by nature he distances himself from actuality, he is too icy of heart to love his wife and children. I mean only that his admiration of the mainstream novel is not likely to be sufficient to drive him to extend the tradition. If he's lucky enough to live in an aristocratic age, or if he can find the sanctuary of an aesthetic coterie—a walled enclave from which the great, fly-switching herd of humanity is excluded— the artificer may be able to work his quirky wonders. In a democratic age served largely by commercial publishers, only extraordinary ego and stubbornness can keep him going. We may all agree (and then again we may not) that the specialized fiction he writes is worthwhile; but to the extent that he suspects that his time and place are unworthy of his genius, to the extent that he feels detached from the concerns of the herd, or feels that his ideal is either meaningless or invisible to most of humanity, his will is undermined. Not caring much about the kind of novel most experienced and well-educated readers like to read, and not deeply in love with his special coterie—since ironic distance is part of his nature, perhaps even deep, misanthropic distrust like Flaubert's—he manages to bring out, in his lifetime, only one or two books. Or none.

The writer with the worst odds—the person to whom one at once says, "I don't think so"—is the writer whose feel for language seems incorrigibly perverted. The most obvious example is the writer who cannot move without the help of such phrases as "with a merry twinkle in her eye," or "the adorable twins," or "his hearty, booming laugh"—dead expressions, the cranked-up zombie emotion of a writer who feels nothing in his daily life or nothing he trusts enough to find his own words for, so that he turns instead to "she stifled a sob," "friendly lopsided smile," "cocking an eyebrow in that quizzical way he had," "his broad shoulders," "his encircling arm," "a faint smile curving her lips," "his voice was husky," "her face framed by auburn curls."

The trouble with such language is not only that it is cliché (worn out, overused); but also that it is symptomatic of a crippling psychological set. We all develop linguistic masks (arrays of verbal habits) with which to deal with the world; different masks for different occasions. And one of the most successful masks known, at least for dealing with troublesome situations, is the Christian Pollyanna mask embodied and atrophied in phrases like those I've mentioned. Why the mask turns up more often in writing than in normal speaking—why, that is, the art of writing becomes a way of prettifying and tranquilizing reality—I cannot say, unless it has to do with how writing is taught, in our early years, as a form of good manners, and also perhaps with the emphasis our first teachers give to the goody-goody (or taming) emotions fashionable in school readers. In any event, the Pollyanna mask, if it cannot be torn off, will spell ruin for the novelist. People who regularly seek to feel the bland optimism the Pollyanna mask supports cannot help developing a vested interest in seeing, speaking, and feeling as they do—with two results: they lose the power to see accurately, and they lose the power to communicate with any but those who see and feel in the same benevolently distorted way. Once one has made a strong psychological investment in a certain kind of language, one has trouble understanding that it distorts reality, and also trouble understanding how others—in this case those who take a more cautious or warily ironic view—can be so blind. No one with a distorted view of reality can write good novels, because as we read we measure fictional worlds against the real world. Fiction elaborated out of attitudes we find childish or tiresome in life very soon becomes tiresome.

The Pollyanna mask is only one among many common evasions of reality. Consider a few lines by a well-known science fiction writer:

It's not often people will tell you how they really feel about gut-level things. Like god or how they're afraid they'll go insane like their grandfather or sex or how obnoxious you are when you pick your nose and wipe it on your pants. They play cozy with you, because nobody likes to be hated, and large doses of truth from any one mouth tend to make the wearer of the mouth persona non grata. Particularly if he's caught you picking your nose and wiping it on your pants. Even worse if he catches you eating it.

This is not the Pollyanna style favored by hack writers of the twenties and thirties but the hack-writer style that superseded it, disPollyanna. Sunny optimism, with its fondness for italics, gives way to an ill-founded cynicism, also supported by italics ("It's not often people will tell you how they really feel"), and "broad shoulders" give way to "gut-level things," or worse. Sentence fragments become common (a standard means of falsely heightening the emotion of what one says), and commas disappear ("grandfather or sex or how obnoxious you are") in rhetorical imitation of William Faulkner, who was also on thin ice. (Dropping commas is all right except if one's purpose is to increase the rush of the sentence and thus suggest emotion not justified by what is being said.) Instead of giving "friendly lopsided smiles" people "play cozy with you," which means that they're false, unreal, not even the owners (just the wearers) of their mouths. (The same stock depersonalization of human beings gives cheap detective fiction one of its favorite rhetorical devices, the transformation of "the man in the gray suit" to "Gray Suit," and the man in the sharkskin to "Sharkskin," as in "Gray Suit looks over at Sharkskin. 'Piss off,' he says." This tends to happen even in fairly good detective fiction. It's hard to rise above your class.) Crude jokes and images, slang phrases borrowed from foreign languages, are all stock in disPollyanna fiction—in an attempt to shock prudes. No one is shocked, of course, though a few may misread their annoyance as shock. One is annoyed because the whole thing is phony, an imitation of things too often imitated before. The problem with such writers, it ought to be mentioned, is not that they are worse people than those who wrote in Pollyanna. They are almost exactly the same people: idealists, people who simple-mindedly long for goodness, justice, and sanity; the difference is one of style. This same science fiction writer's character Jack the Ripper reacts in howling moral outrage when he learns how the Utopians have made him their plaything:

A psychopath, a butcher, a lecher, a hypocrite, a clown.
"You did this to me! Why did you do this?"
Frenzy cloaked his words. . . .

A young writer firmly hooked on bad science fiction, or the worst of the hard-boiled detective school, or tell-it-like-it-is so-called serious fiction, fashionably interpreting all experience as crap, may get published, if he works hard, but the odds are that he'll never be an artist. That may not bother him much. Hack writers are sometimes quite successful, even admired. But so far as I can see, they are of slight value to humanity.

Both Pollyanna and disPollyanna limit the writer in the same ways, leading him to miss and simplify experience, and cutting him off from all but fellow believers. Marxist language can have the same effects, or the argot of the ashram, or computer talk ("input"), or the weary metaphors of the businessand- law world ("where the cheese starts to bind"). When one runs across a student whose whole way of seeing and whose emotional security seem dependent on adherence to a given style of language, one has reason to worry.

haha "or computer talk ("input")"

he sounds like a pissed off old dude. it's kind of cool i guess, but he really goes far out of his way to like first of all call people wieners who play with language too much (i agree), then to say not to use cliched language or fill your language with dumbshit "attitude", instead caling for what - authenticity? i donno. aite
he essentially argues that you should be sensitive to language and use it appropriately in the service of your story
how-to-write books are repulsive
I read On Writing but it didn't really help me much. Can't say I agreed with his pet peeves either. His emphasis on writing all the time discourages me too, because few people have the obsession with writing he's had since a young age.

At the end of the day Stephen King's writing doesn't inspire me a whole lot so I don't know why I read a book by him on how to write.
that stephen king stuff is pretty good actually, but it's either stuff you get now through a long self-dialogue or stuff you'll probably never get. so it's a worthless book full of good tips!

lungfish posted:
I read On Writing but it didn't really help me much. Can't say I agreed with his pet peeves either. His emphasis on writing all the time discourages me too, because few people have the obsession with writing he's had since a young age.

At the end of the day Stephen King's writing doesn't inspire me a whole lot so I don't know why I read a book by him on how to write.

Well you're a pathetic and useless idiot so that figures!

animedad posted:
that stephen king stuff is pretty good actually, but it's either stuff you get now through a long self-dialogue or stuff you'll probably never get. so it's a worthless book full of good tips!

yeah I thought the value of the book was more emotive than content-wise, not to say that the content is poor or anything but what I realy liked about it was how it clarifies the act of writing

babyfinland posted:
lungfish posted:

Well you're a pathetic and useless idiot so that figures!

certum est quia impossibile

i disagree

Like other kinds of intelligence, the storyteller's is partly natural, partly trained. It is composed of several qualities, most of which, in normal people, are signs of either immaturity or incivility: wit (a tendency to make irreverent connections); obstinacy and a tendency toward churlishness (a refusal to believe what all sensible people know is true); childishness (an apparent lack of mental focus and serious life purpose, a fondness for daydreaming and telling pointless lies, a lack of proper respect, mischievousness, an unseemly propensity for crying over nothing); a marked tendency toward oral or anal fixation or both (the oral manifested by excessive eating, drinking, smoking, and chattering; the anal by nervous cleanliness and neatness coupled with a weird fascination with dirty jokes); remarkable powers of eidetic recall, or visual memory (a usual feature of early adolescence and mental retardation); a strange admixture of shameless playfulness and embarrassing earnestness, the latter often heightened by irrationally intense feelings for or against religion; patience like a cat's; a criminal streak of cunning; psychological instability; recklessness, impulsiveness, and improvidence; and finally, an inexplicable and incurable addiction to stories, written or oral, bad or good. Not all writers have exactly these same virtues, of course. Occasionally one finds one who is not abnormally improvident.

babyfinland posted:

The writer who cares chiefly or exclusively about language is poorly equipped for novel-writing in the usual sense because his character and personality are wrong for writing novels. Those who inordinately love words as words are of a character type distinct enough, at least in broad outline, to be recognizable almost at a glance. Words seem inevitably to distance us from the brute existents (real trees, stones, yawling babies) that words symbolize and, in our thought processes, tend to replace. At any rate, so philosophers like Hobbes, Nietzsche, and Heidegger have maintained, and our experience with punsters seems to confirm the opinion. When a man makes a pun in a social situation, no one present can doubt—however we may admire the punster and the pun —that the punster has momentarily drawn back, disengaging himself, making connections he could not think of if he were fully involved in the social moment. For example, if we are admiring the art treasures of a family named Cheuse and the punster remarks, "Beggars can't be Cheuses!" we know at once that the punster is not peering deeply and admiringly into the Turner landscape at hand. The person profoundly in love with words may make an excellent poet, composer of crossword puzzles, or Scrabble player; he may write novel-like things which a select group admires; but he will probably not in the end prove a first-rate novelist.

For several reasons (first, because of his personality, which keeps the world of brute existence at arm's length), he is not likely to feel passionate attachment to the ordinary, mainstream novel. The novel's unashamed engagement with the world—the myriad details that make character come alive, the sustained fascination with the gossip surrounding the lives of imaginary beings, the naive emphasis on what happened next and what, precisely, the weather was that day—all these are likely to seem, to the word fanatic, silly and tedious; he feels himself buried in litter. And no one is much inclined to spend days, weeks, years, imitating an existence he does not really like in the first place. The word fanatic may love certain very special, highly intellectual novelists (Stendhal, Flaubert, Robbe-Grillet, the Joyce of Finnegans Wake, possibly Nabokov), but he is likejy to admire only for their secondary qualities novelists whose chief strength is the hurly-burly of vividly imitated reality (Dickens, Stevenson, Tolstoy, Melville, Bellow). I do not mean that the person primarily interested in linguistic artifice is blocked from all appreciation of good books whose main appeal comes from character and action; nor do I mean that, because by nature he distances himself from actuality, he is too icy of heart to love his wife and children. I mean only that his admiration of the mainstream novel is not likely to be sufficient to drive him to extend the tradition. If he's lucky enough to live in an aristocratic age, or if he can find the sanctuary of an aesthetic coterie—a walled enclave from which the great, fly-switching herd of humanity is excluded— the artificer may be able to work his quirky wonders. In a democratic age served largely by commercial publishers, only extraordinary ego and stubbornness can keep him going. We may all agree (and then again we may not) that the specialized fiction he writes is worthwhile; but to the extent that he suspects that his time and place are unworthy of his genius, to the extent that he feels detached from the concerns of the herd, or feels that his ideal is either meaningless or invisible to most of humanity, his will is undermined. Not caring much about the kind of novel most experienced and well-educated readers like to read, and not deeply in love with his special coterie—since ironic distance is part of his nature, perhaps even deep, misanthropic distrust like Flaubert's—he manages to bring out, in his lifetime, only one or two books. Or none.
The writer with the worst odds—the person to whom one at once says, "I don't think so"—is the writer whose feel for language seems incorrigibly perverted. The most obvious example is the writer who cannot move without the help of such phrases as "with a merry twinkle in her eye," or "the adorable twins," or "his hearty, booming laugh"—dead expressions, the cranked-up zombie emotion of a writer who feels nothing in his daily life or nothing he trusts enough to find his own words for, so that he turns instead to "she stifled a sob," "friendly lopsided smile," "cocking an eyebrow in that quizzical way he had," "his broad shoulders," "his encircling arm," "a faint smile curving her lips," "his voice was husky," "her face framed by auburn curls."

The trouble with such language is not only that it is cliché (worn out, overused); but also that it is symptomatic of a crippling psychological set. We all develop linguistic masks (arrays of verbal habits) with which to deal with the world; different masks for different occasions. And one of the most successful masks known, at least for dealing with troublesome situations, is the Christian Pollyanna mask embodied and atrophied in phrases like those I've mentioned. Why the mask turns up more often in writing than in normal speaking—why, that is, the art of writing becomes a way of prettifying and tranquilizing reality—I cannot say, unless it has to do with how writing is taught, in our early years, as a form of good manners, and also perhaps with the emphasis our first teachers give to the goody-goody (or taming) emotions fashionable in school readers. In any event, the Pollyanna mask, if it cannot be torn off, will spell ruin for the novelist. People who regularly seek to feel the bland optimism the Pollyanna mask supports cannot help developing a vested interest in seeing, speaking, and feeling as they do—with two results: they lose the power to see accurately, and they lose the power to communicate with any but those who see and feel in the same benevolently distorted way. Once one has made a strong psychological investment in a certain kind of language, one has trouble understanding that it distorts reality, and also trouble understanding how others—in this case those who take a more cautious or warily ironic view—can be so blind. No one with a distorted view of reality can write good novels, because as we read we measure fictional worlds against the real world. Fiction elaborated out of attitudes we find childish or tiresome in life very soon becomes tiresome.

The Pollyanna mask is only one among many common evasions of reality. Consider a few lines by a well-known science fiction writer:

It's not often people will tell you how they really feel about gut-level things. Like god or how they're afraid they'll go insane like their grandfather or sex or how obnoxious you are when you pick your nose and wipe it on your pants. They play cozy with you, because nobody likes to be hated, and large doses of truth from any one mouth tend to make the wearer of the mouth persona non grata. Particularly if he's caught you picking your nose and wiping it on your pants. Even worse if he catches you eating it.

This is not the Pollyanna style favored by hack writers of the twenties and thirties but the hack-writer style that superseded it, disPollyanna. Sunny optimism, with its fondness for italics, gives way to an ill-founded cynicism, also supported by italics ("It's not often people will tell you how they really feel"), and "broad shoulders" give way to "gut-level things," or worse. Sentence fragments become common (a standard means of falsely heightening the emotion of what one says), and commas disappear ("grandfather or sex or how obnoxious you are") in rhetorical imitation of William Faulkner, who was also on thin ice. (Dropping commas is all right except if one's purpose is to increase the rush of the sentence and thus suggest emotion not justified by what is being said.) Instead of giving "friendly lopsided smiles" people "play cozy with you," which means that they're false, unreal, not even the owners (just the wearers) of their mouths. (The same stock depersonalization of human beings gives cheap detective fiction one of its favorite rhetorical devices, the transformation of "the man in the gray suit" to "Gray Suit," and the man in the sharkskin to "Sharkskin," as in "Gray Suit looks over at Sharkskin. 'Piss off,' he says." This tends to happen even in fairly good detective fiction. It's hard to rise above your class.) Crude jokes and images, slang phrases borrowed from foreign languages, are all stock in disPollyanna fiction—in an attempt to shock prudes. No one is shocked, of course, though a few may misread their annoyance as shock. One is annoyed because the whole thing is phony, an imitation of things too often imitated before. The problem with such writers, it ought to be mentioned, is not that they are worse people than those who wrote in Pollyanna. They are almost exactly the same people: idealists, people who simple-mindedly long for goodness, justice, and sanity; the difference is one of style. This same science fiction writer's character Jack the Ripper reacts in howling moral outrage when he learns how the Utopians have made him their plaything:

A psychopath, a butcher, a lecher, a hypocrite, a clown.
"You did this to me! Why did you do this?"
Frenzy cloaked his words. . . .

A young writer firmly hooked on bad science fiction, or the worst of the hard-boiled detective school, or tell-it-like-it-is so-called serious fiction, fashionably interpreting all experience as crap, may get published, if he works hard, but the odds are that he'll never be an artist. That may not bother him much. Hack writers are sometimes quite successful, even admired. But so far as I can see, they are of slight value to humanity.

Both Pollyanna and disPollyanna limit the writer in the same ways, leading him to miss and simplify experience, and cutting him off from all but fellow believers. Marxist language can have the same effects, or the argot of the ashram, or computer talk ("input"), or the weary metaphors of the businessand- law world ("where the cheese starts to bind"). When one runs across a student whose whole way of seeing and whose emotional security seem dependent on adherence to a given style of language, one has reason to worry.

stephen king wrote this?????