[account deactivated]
480p FTW

I don't understand why people get specifically mad about like european colonialism, but empires always colonized and genocided, at least since the advent of agriculture. Are we supposed to be extra mad at them because it happened recently? American jews spent so much time making american whites feel bad about their history but you don't see them apologizing for bankrupting germany or ruining egypt or the united states. maybe we should agree not to colonize anywhere and not to wipe any ethnic groups off of the planet and everyone can stop making a big deal out of it. I don't think china will agree to stop colonizing though
Oh here's a cool youtube tip, if you have safari. http://www.verticalforest.com/youtube5-extension/ Download youtube 5, and your youtubes will always be in the html5 player and always will work and load, instead of like 25% of the time in the regular player. you can also make it always plya in the biggest resolution and save videos without needing external software~!
European colonization of the Americas was peculiar and especially brutal because of the driving factors that spurred it, namely their mismanagement of adopted developments from other societies in the Middle Ages. The creation of company bubbles, large scale looting and enslavement by brute force, etc. This was all due to the collapse of traditional European society upon itself with its entry into the Middle Ages. Lacking the regulatory functions other societies had developed alongside the new social instruments of the time, they landed themselves in a circle of debt that radically restructured their own societies and eventually the world through an outward expansion founded basically on slavery. It was unprecedented in the character of the society and the socioeconomic engine driving it, more than the superficial aspects of imperialism or warfare which yeah obviously have been a consistent feature of history. Other civilizations have had the chance and means to accomplish what Europeans did but for a variety of reasons Europe took that step to develop capitalism and the total militarization of society.

I think it's important to acknowledge this because objective analysis of why things occurred in this particular way will lead the way to practical solutions. I don't really think anyone should feel especially guilty about it, especially if you're attempting to create a better world.

Edited by babyfinland ()

babyfinland posted:
European colonization of the Americas was peculiar and especially brutal because of the driving factors that spurred it, namely their mismanagement of adopted developments from other societies in the Middle Ages. The creation of company bubbles, large scale looting and enslavement by brute force, etc. This was all due to the collapse of traditional European society upon itself with its entry into the Middle Ages. Lacking the regulatory functions other societies had developed alongside these new social instruments, they landed themselves in a circle of debt that radically restructured their own societies and eventually the world through an outward expansion founded basically on slavery. It was unprecedented in the character of the society and the socioeconomic engine driving it, more than the superficial aspects of imperialism or warfare which yeah obviously have been a consistent feature of history. Other civilizations have had the chance and means to accomplish what Europeans did but for a variety of reasons Europe took that step to develop capitalism and the total militarization of society.

I think it's important to acknowledge this because objective analysis of why things occurred in this particular way will lead the way to practical solutions. I don't really think anyone should feel especially guilty about it, especially if you're attempting to create a better world.

okay that makes a lot more sense than like the assertion that europeans were specifically evil in their actions. Especially since genocide in the americas was started by those Basue and Irish fishermen trading on the coast who brought TB, before any organized attempt at settlement was attempted.

Weren't the Romans and basically all the other big old empires built on conquering, looting, enslaving? And they just had to keep doing it? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Myfanwy posted:

babyfinland posted:
European colonization of the Americas was peculiar and especially brutal because of the driving factors that spurred it, namely their mismanagement of adopted developments from other societies in the Middle Ages. The creation of company bubbles, large scale looting and enslavement by brute force, etc. This was all due to the collapse of traditional European society upon itself with its entry into the Middle Ages. Lacking the regulatory functions other societies had developed alongside these new social instruments, they landed themselves in a circle of debt that radically restructured their own societies and eventually the world through an outward expansion founded basically on slavery. It was unprecedented in the character of the society and the socioeconomic engine driving it, more than the superficial aspects of imperialism or warfare which yeah obviously have been a consistent feature of history. Other civilizations have had the chance and means to accomplish what Europeans did but for a variety of reasons Europe took that step to develop capitalism and the total militarization of society.

okay that makes a lot more sense than like the assertion that europeans were specifically evil in their actions. Especially since genocide in the americas was started by those Basue and Irish fishermen trading on the coast who brought TB, before any organized attempt at settlement was attempted.

Weren't the Romans and basically all the other big old empires built on conquering, looting, enslaving? And they just had to keep doing it? Or is there something else I'm missing?

This isn't a very satisfying response for me, because clearly there is something peculiar to capitalism. However, empire is basically about conquering, looting, enslaving, yeah. The thing is that most empires had some kind of stabilizing and developmental logic within them, while capitalism follow the logic of the gambler, thief and murderer: it's desperate and crazy and just consumes everything like a furnace. The reasons for this are complex and I don't know that I have a full understanding of it but I reckon it lies in the circumstances I outlined earlier.

To contrast the Romans with European capitalism: the Romans gained land and slaves and produced a civilization. Capitalists amass wealth but can't really spend it or use it on anything but keeping the ball rolling. Everyone's in debt and beholden to someone else and the penalties for not paying them back are horrible and inhuman. The Romans (and every other imperial force) were brutal conquerors but capitalists are brutal and monsterous in such a thoroughly deep, fundamental and unprecedented way that it doesn't make sense to compare them. It's one thing to judge an empire on the basis that it cultivated society and abused other people in order to do so, it's another thing when an empire is inhuman and unthinkably evil to the very core of its being.

Again this is rather vague and unsatisfying to me but there you go

babyfinland posted:

Myfanwy posted:

babyfinland posted:

This isn't a very satisfying response for me, because clearly there is something peculiar to capitalism. However, empire is basically about conquering, looting, enslaving, yeah. The thing is that most empires had some kind of stabilizing and developmental logic within them, while capitalism follow the logic of the gambler, thief and murderer: it's desperate and crazy and just consumes everything like a furnace. The reasons for this are complex and I don't know that I have a full understanding of it but I reckon it lies in the circumstances I outlined earlier.

To contrast the Romans with European capitalism: the Romans gained land and slaves and produced a civilization. Capitalists amass wealth but can't really spend it or use it on anything but keeping the ball rolling. Everyone's in debt and beholden to someone else and the penalties for not paying them back are horrible and inhuman. The Romans (and every other imperial force) were brutal conquerors but capitalists are brutal and monsterous in such a thoroughly deep, fundamental and unprecedented way that it doesn't make sense to compare them. It's one thing to judge an empire on the basis that it cultivated society and abused other people in order to do so, it's another thing when an empire is inhuman and unthinkably evil to the very core of its being.

Ah okay, that does make more sense. When you're demolishing societies for no reason other than money, rather than glory, honor, safety, etc etc there is a much more insidious feeling

Myfanwy posted:

babyfinland posted:

Myfanwy posted:

babyfinland posted:

Ah okay, that does make more sense. When you're demolishing societies for no reason other than money, rather than glory, honor, safety, etc etc there is a much more insidious feeling

The real question to me, and the thing that leaves me unsatisfied just leaving the response I gave as is, is WHY would Europeans begin to do this? Even previous European empires had a sense of building civilization and restoring the Golden Age. Something made the Europeans very desperate and cynical and amoral in a way that permeated their society and re-organized them. It's more than just a few bad apples or some cultural quirk, something very powerful coerced them into this behavioral trap

it's the values, baby. greed is good
rather than treating merchants and hoarders as the scum they are, we've decided to uphold them and become them across the entire society

Impper posted:
rather than treating merchants and hoarders as the scum they are, we've decided to uphold them and become them across the entire society

But other societies have done the same and not had the same consequences. For Muslims the merchant adventurer is like the epitome of heroism. Stigmatizing traders is culturally peculiar to various societies and arises for various reasons, and certainly not something that really factors into something as profoundly radical as the development of capitalism

i'm not sure about that - capitalists aren't special, they're simply traders: rather it's the normalization of the merchant class and making them the dominant caste in society. even if a traveling trader is a hero in muslim society, it's not like muslims decided to let him make all the laws and orient the organization of the entire society to serve him

Impper posted:
i'm not sure about that - capitalists aren't special, they're simply traders: rather it's the normalization of the merchant class and making them the dominant caste in society. even if a traveling trader is a hero in muslim society, it's not like muslims decided to let him make all the laws and orient the organization of the entire society to serve him

you shouldnt conflate capitalists with traders especially when we're talking about such a broad period of time. they're not the same. I'm inclined to agree with Braundel that capitalists are monopolists and not traders at all.

with that in mind though I would agree, but what was it that permitted the capitalist development in Europe, whereas in other societies nothing of the sort developed? Graeber talks about the corporate forms of feudalism, the city state et al and the introduction of market commerce as developed in Asia into such a society, but surely that alone wouldn't be it? Europe and Asia have been interacting since forever, and while I can understand how those things illustrate the event of capitalist development I still don't see what in particular became so upset in European society that the consequence was such a disasterous snowballing

Marxism has nothing to offer here either

imo it might have something to do with geography, e.g. like hong kong is a super important port or whatever and encourages people to set up shop and monopolize, so of course the place becomes a massive capitalist hellhole. maybe there was something in europe that just disposed things in this direction? i don't know a lot about this (or anything at all) but its worth thinking about i guess

also, why not go to capitalist sources themselves? e.g. max weber or whoever said that capitalism was built on the back of the protestant reformation, when christianity became about upholding labor and traditional puritan working values & discipline & familial accumulation and so on, so it could be something of a spiritual shift that happened in europe, and that coincided with the utilization of fossil fuels which further encouraged the development of capitalist-like organizational practices. this could be dead wrong ahhe

Impper posted:
imo it might have something to do with geography, e.g. like hong kong is a super important port or whatever and encourages people to set up shop and monopolize, so of course the place becomes a massive capitalist hellhole. maybe there was something in europe that just disposed things in this direction? i don't know a lot about this (or anything at all) but its worth thinking about i guess

Well of course it follows that places and societies that are well disposed to trade might flourish in a capitalist environment. It depends also on military factors though, and a lot of traditionally commercial areas declined with the advent of capitalism because they weren't able to adjust to the radical restructuring of values in the market.

also, why not go to capitalist sources themselves? e.g. max weber or whoever said that capitalism was built on the back of the protestant reformation, when christianity became about upholding labor and traditional puritan working values & discipline & familial accumulation and so on, so it could be something of a spiritual shift that happened in europe, and that coincided with the utilization of fossil fuels which further encouraged the development of capitalist-like organizational practices. this could be dead wrong ahhe

There's probably something there of interest but I doubt it would provide a satisfying answer. I haven't read Weber

epic heh

Edited by babyfinland ()

Goethestein posted:
epic heh

Damn thats pretty badas

Woa what happened to the coolio image.. oh well Ha..

babyfinland posted:
with that in mind though I would agree, but what was it that permitted the capitalist development in Europe, whereas in other societies nothing of the sort developed?

i haven't read that much on the topic, but according to Kenneth Pomeranz's analysis in The Great Divergence, china and western european states such as great britain and the netherlands were in fairly similar positions economically until the industrial revolution, and in many ways china's economy was closer to free market ideals. the divergence between the two regions occurs in how they coped with population growth: china intensified labour in order to relieve food shortages while the uk developed more efficient production methods, helped by their easy access to coal deposits. also you have western europe getting access to vast amounts of arable farmland and metal deposits in the New World.

i once saw a complaint that "the book contains absolutely no narrative, no characters, and not even a single picture or graph despite being focused almost entirely on statistics", but then what do you expect from big-picture economic history.

I think that's basically what Hobsbawm says too. I donno how much explanatory value it has though.

babyfinland posted:
Impper posted:

you shouldnt conflate capitalists with traders especially when we're talking about such a broad period of time. they're not the same. I'm inclined to agree with Braundel that capitalists are monopolists and not traders at all.

with that in mind though I would agree, but what was it that permitted the capitalist development in Europe, whereas in other societies nothing of the sort developed? Graeber talks about the corporate forms of feudalism, the city state et al and the introduction of market commerce as developed in Asia into such a society, but surely that alone wouldn't be it? Europe and Asia have been interacting since forever, and while I can understand how those things illustrate the event of capitalist development I still don't see what in particular became so upset in European society that the consequence was such a disasterous snowballing

european development from feudal to imperial-capitalist makes me think of the reverse of the ottoman decline (provincial elites began to challenge central power, raising competitive stakes). those european wars were savage as hell ever since probably the collapse of the Holy Roman Empire, and no empire unified them until like America

babyfinland posted:

Impper posted:

ahahaha yes, yes agreed, id definitely call the transition out of serfdom "a disasterous (sp) snowballing"

[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
I wish we had anthropologists back then so I could make an argument how european serfdom was more noble than western europe now. it wouldn't be hard. *chugs gin and tonic in a can, pukes on sidewalk*

deffo, whenever i read about illiterate farmers worshiping dragon spirits and getting massacred because they didnt want to fund lord ashterban's italian tour, i lean back in my computer chair and wonder "why not me"

[account deactivated]
wait, you can get gin and tonic in a can?
[account deactivated]
can you send me a case of gin and tonic in a can
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
ahaha you've never been to europe, have you...

I Will Never Go To Europe

tsargon lets go to europe and beat up eurofags
i hear thy have gin and tonic in a can. we'll pick up a 30 pack, get smashed, and beat up eurofags
tsargon has the historical sense of milton friedman's beer shits

In the beginning there was muck. then white people made the world nice. but then jews screwed it all up. im virgen. will to power reigns.

Edited by babyfinland ()

i dont know if the will to power reigns but if hes got my back when i pick a fight with 30 eurofags he's cool with me
same im just yanking his chain (cuz no one else will)

babyfinland posted:
tsargon has the historical sense of milton friedman's beer shits

In the beginning there was muck. then white people made the world nice. but then jews screwed it all up. im virgen. will to power reigns.

Martin TheStrong 11:41 pm
   so if oyu had a chance, you would be a dirt farming peasant in syria in 1400

linbiao420 11:42 pm
   yeah

Martin TheStrong 11:42 pm
   lmao

lmao
thats completely out of context because directly after that i said well not me personally but for humanity generally yes
linbiao420 11:42 pm
   well i mean i would prefer that for humanity as a whole

Martin TheStrong 11:42 pm
   well, alright. you love facts, but are ready to romanticize being a slave because Non White Better Than

linbiao420 11:43 pm
   im sitting pretty well in the hand i was dealt
   there you go again
   thats insulting
   you just  fuck off you dumb faggot