The US military's unmanned Predator and Reaper drones are continuing to fly remote missions overseas despite a computer virus that has infected their US-based cockpits.

Government officials are still investigating whether the virus is benign, and how it managed to infect the heavily protected computer systems at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada, where US military pilots remotely fly the planes on their missions over Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere.

"Something is going on, but it has not had any impact on the missions overseas," said a source, who was not authorized to speak publicly.

. . .

Rob Densmore, former US navy airman, told Al Jazeera that the infection was a common keystroke logging virus - which registers the keystrokes pilots use to control the unmanned drones from afar.

"It has to have a point of access, so we know that thumb drives - basically USB drives - are used to upload navigational information, guidance information to Predator and Reaper drones.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2011/10/201110816388104988.html

"I'm sure it's fine. I get viruses all the time on my computers." - Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff or whatever
it was probably just some moron who picked up a trojan downloading some drowning pool to listen while he bombs a wedding

The virus has also resisted multiple efforts to remove it from the base's computer systems.

"We keep wiping it off, and it keeps coming back," a source familiar with the network infection told the magazine.

It's interesting, because it's a very us military sort of excuse. US Jets are never ever ever shot down, they just manage to have tons of mechanical problems while receiving enemy fire during sorties. Computer viruses that record you committing war crimes are totally unrelated to any hacking or state actors

Plus everything that WIRED writes about the us military is spoonfed to them in the same way it would be if it was in USA TODAY.
The US military is so horribly vulnerable, it's a good thing it will be never be in a war with a powerful state , because things would go so badly

Myfanwy posted:
It's interesting, because it's a very us military sort of excuse. US Jets are never ever ever shot down, they just manage to have tons of mechanical problems while receiving enemy fire during sorties. Computer viruses that record you committing war crimes are totally unrelated to any hacking or state actors

Plus everything that WIRED writes about the us military is spoonfed to them in the same way it would be if it was in USA TODAY.
The US military is so horribly vulnerable, it's a good thing it will be never be in a war with a powerful state , because things would go so badly

WIRED actually has a pretty good intel / mil column, it suprised me

couple this with the video feed thing (did that ever get fixed?) and i predict hilarious misadventures in the future... drone vs drone.. a house divided
talk about agnostic weapons

babyfinland posted:

Myfanwy posted:

Well they do write opinions and try to be informed, but it's all very "gee whiz lockheed martin has a laser that can shoot a guy but not if its cloudy or raining, what a great system, look at this new tech, wowie"

There are some surprisingly good military blogs written by pmcs and soliders, the view on the ground is interesting. It's like the larger reasons for these conflicts have become so well known and are so gross that nobody even wants to bother discussing it.

I also hate that just saying this stuff makes me worry about being surveiled

Am i reading a sort of subtext to your post where you imply that civilian sources about this sort of thing are unreliable?
[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

Myfanwy posted:

Ah, do you mean THE DANGER ROOM ? Yeah its pretty decent. I mean its obviously pro-militarytech biased but it doesn't take much to read between the lines there. The best is when there's a War Nerd companion article that tears it to shreds ahhahaha. The most recent one I can think of is when he was laughin' at that huge mounted laser beam that burned up a tugboat.

http://exiledonline.com/wn-day-24-ray-gun-vs-evinrude/

I always await the day that my own research shows up on Darpa Watch...

camera_obscura posted:
Am i reading a sort of subtext to your post where you imply that civilian sources about this sort of thing are unreliable?

I think that I was saying that civilian sources who are just repeating what they're told by Military Sources are very unreliable? I suppose you learn how to find the truth

Myfanwy posted:

camera_obscura posted:

I think that I was saying that civilian sources who are just repeating what they're told by Military Sources are very unreliable? I suppose you learn how to find the truth

oh no no no, the civilian sources very reliably report to you exactly what the military told them to report to you. very, very reliable.