[account deactivated]
That Radiohead rumor actually happened, by the way.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-09-30/us/us_radiohead-wall-street_1_radiohead-boston-police-protestors?_s=PM:US

Radiohead rumor swells Wall Street protest

Lower Manhattan was abuzz with rumors that British rock band Radiohead would kick off an impromptu concert for an enthusiastic crowd Friday in New York's Zuccotti Park, where Wall Street protestors gathered for a second straight week.

Despite comments from the band's spokesman that they would not play, hundreds congregated at the plaza after organizers from a group called Occupy Wall Street announced the British rockers would soon arrive.

When they never did, most of the crowd quickly dispersed.

The park has remained a rallying point for demonstrators who have camped out in protest over what they say are social inequities derived from greed and corruption plaguing the current financial system.

discipline posted:
you know who am I kidding, seven years ago I'd have been all over this. I would have bought a ticket and gone and done it. too bad my dreams were being smashed on the pavement I'd hit so hard to get bush out of office in 2004. I mean jeezes christ you can't get any more smashed than that. when you watch a black guy who was afraid to vote because he would get arrested be called out of line by a college republican and get arrested and then even his vote gets put in the trash can in front of his own eyes. that's how we roll in north florida.

I think this kind of yes we can march on wall street attitude comes from kids who never lost a fight in their lives. kids who never watched their hopes and dreams get so utterly smashed and pulverized like some of us did in 03-05

it's different now. they are afraid of topics trending on twitter. the WSJ displays its usual sense of class consciousness: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204226204576605400999423790.html

Police said people were advised to stay on the walkway and not go into the roadway. Some protesters "locked arms and proceeded on the roadway," said Mr. Browne, which blocked Brooklyn-bound traffic on the bridge.

Witnesses said police entered the bridge from the Brooklyn side and began arresting people on the roadway. Protesters on the pedestrian walkway were free to go.

"People were marching in the street and there were cops there letting people march on the road," said Jessica Rechtschaffer, 41 years old, a protester who lives in Manhattan. "The police changed their mind and corralled everybody and arrested them." Ms. Rechtschaffer added that protesters weren't "violent or destructive."

"It was all very orderly, but people were out in the streets," she said.

The "Occupy Wall Street" protesters have been in Zucotti Park near Wall Street for more than two weeks. The loose-knit organization has gathered to protest against "greed and corruption" in the financial industry, among other things. In recent days, they have gained support from celebrities and organized labor alike.

The NYPD has come under fire in the last week for its handling of some of the protesters. Earlier in the week, the department opened an investigation into allegations that a supervisor inappropriately pepper-sprayed a group of demonstrators.

Several protesters that were a part of the Saturday afternoon march said that arrests had been videotaped and broadcast to the Internet.

Alma Sheppard-Matsuo, a 24 year old animator from Brooklyn, had her iPhone ready when she entered the Brooklyn Bridge. She said that police were helping to lead protesters onto the roadway and keep them safe. It seemed to her that the police officers "had orders that it was OK until we were halfway onto the bridge and they got different orders," she said.

Ms. Sheppard-Matsuo was released from police custody early Sunday morning and said she was given one summons for obstructing traffic and another for being on the Brooklyn bridge.

A welcoming committee of nine people had gathered Saturday night outside the 77th precinct in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, to greet protesters that had been arrested. They had water, snacks, and cigarettes, and were ready to give hugs. Mostly, they had gathered to make sure that everyone, especially any young people unfamiliar with the city, had a friendly face to help them get safely back to Manhattan.

A little after midnight, Christopher Abbadessa, 24 years old and a resident of Greenpoint, Brooklyn, was the first person released from the 77th precinct. He was issued a ticket, but didn't know the specific charge. He waited outside for his girlfriend, who was also arrested.

Mr. Abbadessa, a musician, says he was walking in the roadway across the Brooklyn Bridge. He said that he didn't see anyone being pepper sprayed and said that the police he encountered "were actually all very nice to me, and I was respectful." Mr. Abbadessa said that protesters were fed a sandwich with peanut butter and a cup of water. He says he hadn't anticipated being arrested today and it was his first such ticket.

Sara Teitelbaum, 25, of Millerton, N.Y., a town about three hours north of Manhattan, waited outside the 77th precint for her husband, Mark Pruce, who had also been arrested. By 1 a.m., she was tired and cold. "I'm curious to see if he wants to keep protesting," she said, adding that he was passionate about protesting. "We can get in a car and go home or go back to Zucotti Park," she said.

Jealousy is the root of the issue. Overused cliche, but never more true than now - success is immoral now for some reason. Furthermore, we who are successful (via hard work and self-made accomplishment) now are made to feel like we owe something to whoever cries "I need" the loudest or - and this is the most concerning - whoever uses brute/organized force. Sadface

why didn't bernie primary obama
I'll be damned.
thats a pretty big number!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-01/Wall-Street-protest-Brooklyn-Bridge/50628178/1

babyfinland posted:
why didn't bernie primary obama

not a Democratic

hey hey, ho ho, please take some superficial action to slightly alter the inevitable course of capitalism, 700 people out of 300 million are mad bored
I'm glad they were all arrested for obstructing traffic and that this will be on their records for their entire lives.
i disagree
i like the arguments against this protest from the LF crowd. no one can reasonably argue that you're in any way more sane or efficacious than these guys so it's all grumbling about the pretend revolution that will certainly happen
Roseanne Barr says to bring back the guillotine http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/312234
if they protest here i will bring them palettes of donuts on a big forklift and go "HONK HONK DONUTS"

mangosteen posted:
i like the arguments against this protest from the LF crowd. no one can reasonably argue that you're in any way more sane or efficacious than these guys so it's all grumbling about the pretend revolution that will certainly happen

i've never argued that i'm sane nor have i ever argued that i have any effect. but then i dont think the protesters are asking for a revolution either

i prefer the pixelated lady over the dude with the fake tan.
despite how bad of a writer i am, i'm very sensitive to social reactions irl. clothes really do project power! when i wear nice clothes people treat me much more pleasantly.

when i realized this it made me sick to my stomach and now i go out of my way to look as neutral as possible because i don't want fake-ass-friendlies everywhere.

NounsareVerbs posted:
despite how bad of a writer i am, i'm very sensitive to social reactions irl. clothes really do project power! when i wear nice clothes people treat me much more pleasantly.

when i realized this it made me sick to my stomach and now i go out of my way to look as neutral as possible because i don't want fake-ass-friendlies everywhere.

what the fuck does this have to do with how bad of a writer you are

after being at a bluegrass festival all weekend the people on the left look pretty fucking normal to me
i think he meant "even though I'm a bad poster i'm good at x"

i can tell because i am a
bad at posting

aerdil posted:
after being at a bluegrass festival all weekend the people on the left look pretty fucking normal to me

any time you go to a festival you'll see purely weirdoes

bad posting is a perception - it's quite likely you're all bad readers. but besides - clothes and appearance have an absolutely huge effect on how people-especially people you don't know- treat you. this probably applies exponentially to people you see in tele segments and pictures.

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
tell the truth bro
put on trollface, "fiscal libertarianism"
[account deactivated]
i might make our protests look bad to people who watch fox news unironically.

This movement is increasingly impressive. Now unions are joining it.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/05/politics/occupy-wall-street/

I suspect Obama will try to see if he can leverage it into being about his tax-the-rich proposal. Ultimately it seems like it is calling out for and needs his direction. They don't state goals because they want Obama to propose goals, and then to support those, in exchange for dispersal.

This will disappoint the far-left crusty types but credit must be given where it is due, because without them, this wouldn't have started at all.
I hope your j14 will be better than ours!

they would probably get more support from non-leftists if they brought in an anti-illegal immigration plank into their demands, would split and confuse the Tea Party as hell

As much as I support the Occupy Wall Street people—and I fucking work on Wall Street—it's bullshit like this that drives me insane.

Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak both came from modest backgrounds—not from wealth—and managed (by some accounts) to create an entire industry and, in the process, created tremendous value for themselves, their investors, their employees, and the Californian and American economies. What the fuck is wrong with that?

I hate to fucking break it to you but it's this kind of risk taking, vision, and entrepreneurial spirit that fuels the American economy and ensures that you have the infrastructure and education to throw your little pious grenades.

What kind of clothes are you wearing? What kind of shoes are in your feet? What computer did you use to post your holier-than-thou missive? Is any of it made in China, India, Bangladesh, or anywhere else using cheap labor? Do you really believe that one man is responsible for doing anything different than what you or millions of other American consumers demand from companies; mainly, quality goods at inexpensive prices?

I'm sorry, but you can either be part of the problem or be part of the solution. Jobs saw a better way and staked his fortune to pursue it. In the process, he became wealthy. That's the American way. He wasn't born from wealth, he created it.

What the fuck have you done?!?

As much as I support the Occupy Wall Street people, i fucking love great capitalists