slothrap posted:
it hasn't seemed to snow that much upstate at all the past few years

I guess five years might be considered more than a few, but...
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/nyregion/12snow.html

Oswego County, a rustic string of towns and villages on the southeastern rim of Lake Ontario, received 5 to 10 feet of snow over eight days. In one town, Redfield, the National Weather Service reported an unofficial total of 11 feet 8 inches...

potushead posted:
LandBeluga i have not forgotten those scans, i'm a shitty host with unreliable electricity so i'll try to get them up tomorrow along with more info-posting

Thanks for remembering!

LandBeluga posted:

slothrap posted:
it hasn't seemed to snow that much upstate at all the past few years

I guess five years might be considered more than a few, but...
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/nyregion/12snow.html

Oswego County, a rustic string of towns and villages on the southeastern rim of Lake Ontario, received 5 to 10 feet of snow over eight days. In one town, Redfield, the National Weather Service reported an unofficial total of 11 feet 8 inches...

haha yeah I was catching a flight from d.c. to nashville where it was t-shirt weather when that happened. a couple of friends of mine who went to suny oswego said outside their front door was just a wall of snow.

Workers tackling snowbanks around homes in Mexico

(actual caption!)

hail and well met, garden thread! after a little under a week, the following flock of chicks:

has been officially relocated to the following hand made RIGHT HERE IN AMERICA coop!

also close up of them bein chicks in it

ohm y god i want to hug them
[account deactivated]

GoldenLionTamarin posted:

ohm y god i want to hug them

Don't let him!

Then again...
monkeys are good pet owners
how much does feed run you? my moms trying to get urban chickens but my buddy whos brother is farmer says the price of feed has skyrocketed and makes it really hard to raise them for a profit. obviously shes not trying to turn a profit herself but she also has no real income stream atm so I'm curious what costs look like.

"my" garden a couple hrs ago (i work on it with a bunch of other ppl). got lettuce in today, probably get seedlings transplanted in a couple weeks. not much to look at but we were getting 20-30lbs of produce a week for the foodbank last summer and hopefully we'll do better than that this year. those weird plastic wrapped frames are ghetto coldframes w/ some lettuce from last winter in em. we've got a beehive up there as well which i'm gonna try to learn on this year, which is pretty cool

slothrap posted:

how much does feed run you? my moms trying to get urban chickens but my buddy whos brother is farmer says the price of feed has skyrocketed and makes it really hard to raise them for a profit. obviously shes not trying to turn a profit herself but she also has no real income stream atm so I'm curious what costs look like.

idk, ive only had my chicks for ~4 weeks now. ill ask some of my friends who have more developed flocks

shennong posted:

"my" garden a couple hrs ago (i work on it with a bunch of other ppl). got lettuce in today, probably get seedlings transplanted in a couple weeks. not much to look at but we were getting 20-30lbs of produce a week for the foodbank last summer and hopefully we'll do better than that this year. those weird plastic wrapped frames are ghetto coldframes w/ some lettuce from last winter in em. we've got a beehive up there as well which i'm gonna try to learn on this year, which is pretty cool

that owns, beehives are sick as hell. please post updates as you learn with it, i and some other people i know are all interested in 'keeping.

Tsargon posted:

that owns, beehives are sick as hell. please post updates as you learn with it, i and some other people i know are all interested in 'keeping.

will do, i've got this book and it's crazy good and has given me some good background thus far

Scary, we just got chicks hatching a few days ago.

Apiaries are so good on so many levels except the level where bees hit every panic button in my beshitted primate mind.
you mean "Bee"shitted. ;) Garden Humuour
I adore all processes and products of bee economy except the bees. They buzz around and sniff at me. They smell my fear. It is sweeter than any nectar.
the bees up on that roof are super calm for the most part, you dont need smoke to handle the frames or anything. different varieties have different temperaments, you could probably find one that would agree w/ you
the other thing is if you just want pollinators you can build a solitary bee house and not have to deal with the bees themselves except as they go about their business w/ your plants, which is better than not having bees at all
[account deactivated]

burritonegro posted:

Scary, we just got chicks hatching a few days ago.

that owns, id really like to watch the process of 'natural' chicken raising someday to see the difference in relations between the chicks and myself-as-hen and hen-as-hen

shennong posted:

holy shit that owns, which building are you on there?

futurewidow posted:

holy shit that owns, which building are you on there?

its on top of galbraith, civ eng bldg. unfortunately the roof isnt designed for much weight so we're limited in what we can have up tehre but we're supposed to be getting a greenhouse in this year as well. if you want to try the fruits of our labours we supply hot yam during the summer!

Tsargon posted:

that owns, id really like to watch the process of 'natural' chicken raising someday to see the difference in relations between the chicks and myself-as-hen and hen-as-hen

She spends most of the day pecking the ground and scratching dirt in front of the chicks, basically demonstrating how to be a chicken.

We had this idea to set up a webcam outside and live stream the coop, but I don't know if we will go through with it.

swampman posted:

chickens might be the dumbest animal there ever was

we had a chicken who figured out how to get out of the pen and did it without fail everyday. at the end of the day she was smart enough to walk back in when we opened the gate she was smart enough to go back in too, it was neat. except when she'd lay he eggs under a bramble bush and no one would notice until they started to smell

the other chicken who figured out how to escape didn't feel like going back into the pen one night and then disappeared leaving behind only a plume of feathers and a trail of blood towards the woods. owned

burritonegro posted:

Tsargon posted:

She spends most of the day pecking the ground and scratching dirt in front of the chicks, basically demonstrating how to be a chicken.

We had this idea to set up a webcam outside and live stream the coop, but I don't know if we will go through with it.

if she's sitting down or something then how far are they willing to go beyond her? does she ever peck at them like you sometimes see mother dogs / cat pushing around their own children? do they sleep next to her or under her?

Crowdsource your coop livestream imo. Via social media.
those birds are going to make delicious chicken nuggets, mmm

Tsargon posted:

if she's sitting down or something then how far are they willing to go beyond her? does she ever peck at them like you sometimes see mother dogs / cat pushing around their own children? do they sleep next to her or under her?

they're always following her really closely, but being babies they're pretty dumb and get stepped on or lost when she turns around a corner. They can also drown if they jump in the water bowl so we put a grill-like cover over it. I haven't seen her deliberately peck at them - it looks more like they get in the line of fire. when she sits down for nap time she makes some noises and they go under her. As they get older we'll let them out in the yard so they can run around and rummage.

stegosaurus posted:

Crowdsource your coop livestream imo. Via social media.

i don't understand what that means

I found this crate on the street and thought it would make a nice patio planter!

I think the size is big enough that I can grow beets and herbs and chard and stuff but I'm worried about a) the staples and nails holding the thing together - would the metal/possible rust be harmful to the soil and b) how would I go about making holes for drainage without a drill?

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
id be more worried about the wood being treated than the metal. they use arsenic in pressure treating still, i think. you could try to drive sth between the bottom slats to open up drainage or punch holes with a nail or chisel or something

futurewidow posted:

I found this crate on the street and thought it would make a nice patio planter!

I think the size is big enough that I can grow beets and herbs and chard and stuff but I'm worried about a) the staples and nails holding the thing together - would the metal/possible rust be harmful to the soil and b) how would I go about making holes for drainage without a drill?

Even if the staples rust you'll be fine, was discussing this as I've never considered it before but I think it would be something to take into consideration if you were thinking about growing in an iron tank or something.
You should put drainage holes in on the sides low down, also put lumps of polystyrene or lumps of hardcore in the bottom too to help it drain. Also, raise the whole thing up on legs or bricks, stops it rotting too.
how come you don't have a drill? It's good to have a drill. A hand brace or something.

a little arsenic in your diet can be a good thing (source: the princess bride)
My project at the moment is a modified keyhole garden for a dead space at the back of our allotment. Going to build it out of sandbags and try a different shape to get more space.

I'd like to build a high temp composter too. We follow a Fukuowa style attitude for general waste at the plot, laying things out underneath the crops to break down there, however we inherited a bindweed infestation so I want to build something that can break that down and not just grow it.
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:

FrancoNero posted:

We follow a Fukuowa style attitude for general waste at the plot

i say fuck it disposing most of my waste too frank

thats a lot of nuts

[account deactivated]