:qq:

will "Superabound" ever stop being "Superaboring"?? this moderator thinks NO!!

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

3d printing will liberate third world sweatshops, just as modern chemical agriculture has liberated 3rd world farmers and paperless offices saved the rainforest
3d printers render the working class obsolete. they can also render models of obsolete workerssss

getfiscal posted:
I already have the ability to build anything I want from plastic. It's called Lego. There is a pretty big adult Lego community. Join us on IRC at #legonnaires

iwc eat your heart out

tecca posted:
Imagine a contraption that could create actual three-dimensional objects just by sitting smack dab in the middle of the Sahara desert. 3D printing is already almost unfathomably futuristic (not to mention cool), but the so-called Solar Sinter takes the method to the next level.

Traditional 3D printing builds up successive layers of material (often resin or plaster) into what emerges as a three dimensional object. The Solar Sinter, an amazingly clever undertaking crafted by sand-sculptor Markus Kayser, employs a parallel, entirely sustainable technique.

By unfurling his somewhat portable (though unwieldy) solar-powered 3D printer under the Saharan sun, he harnesses the sun's rays to do the work of a laser in a traditional 3D printer setup. And rather than using a resin-like substance for the additive layers of material, his device ingeniously makes use of the desert's other most plentiful feature — sand.

To really understand what's happening here, don't miss the video above. In his demonstration, Kayser "prints" two objects, a rather abstract figurine and a bowl, but the sustainable production possibilities are endless. Endless so long as you don't run out of sun or sand — but in the middle of the Sahara, that might take a good long while.

http://www.tecca.com/news/2011/06/27/solar-sinter/

read cyclonopedia guidoanselmi ...
i know i still havent. revoke my LF membership card.

my badge is on the table.
Leaving aside issues related to the democratization of 3D printing (at least for now), here is quite a good article about additive technology from the perspective of engineering technologists:
http://www.theengineer.co.uk/in-depth/the-big-story/the-rise-of-additive-manufacturing/1002560.article

Which sectors already use additive manufacturing?

...by far the biggest adopter of additive technology is the medical devices sector and, around the world, many patients sport hip replacements, dental crowns or even cranial implants that have been produced by clinicians on laser-sintering machines. Indeed, the largest-volume application of additive manufacturing is in the production of hearing aids, with customised hearing-aid casings now almost exclusively made using additive techniques.

...could additive components ever be used for highly stressed load-bearing applications?

In theory, said Reeves, the components produced are already strong enough to be relied on in the most testing scenarios. ’On paper, metallic additive parts have mechanical properties that are better than cast and getting towards wrought, but there is currently no agreed standard for material and process quality. Once we start to see some recognised standards for testing then we’ll see people starting to put some faith behind the technology and putting it into applications,’ he said.

So what are the current technical problems with the technology?

A major issue is the sensitivity of current machines, which require careful optimisation to produce the desired mechanical properties.

’These are fairly delicate machines at the moment,’ Hague said. ’To get a perfectly optimised component, you really have to characterise the machine.

’Maintaining temperature is very difficult and you tend to get different properties on laser-sintering machines on different days, on different builds and in different locations - there’s a research challenge there in looking at how you can control the mechanical properties.’

guidoanselmi posted:
iwc eat your heart out

tecca posted:
Imagine a contraption that could create actual three-dimensional objects just by sitting smack dab in the middle of the Sahara desert. 3D printing is already almost unfathomably futuristic (not to mention cool), but the so-called Solar Sinter takes the method to the next level.

Traditional 3D printing builds up successive layers of material (often resin or plaster) into what emerges as a three dimensional object. The Solar Sinter, an amazingly clever undertaking crafted by sand-sculptor Markus Kayser, employs a parallel, entirely sustainable technique.

By unfurling his somewhat portable (though unwieldy) solar-powered 3D printer under the Saharan sun, he harnesses the sun's rays to do the work of a laser in a traditional 3D printer setup. And rather than using a resin-like substance for the additive layers of material, his device ingeniously makes use of the desert's other most plentiful feature — sand.

To really understand what's happening here, don't miss the video above. In his demonstration, Kayser "prints" two objects, a rather abstract figurine and a bowl, but the sustainable production possibilities are endless. Endless so long as you don't run out of sun or sand — but in the middle of the Sahara, that might take a good long while.

http://www.tecca.com/news/2011/06/27/solar-sinter/

cool, I guess the Tuaregs can get cracking on the resin and plaster after science figures out how to get them some food and political freedoms

It's not easy to predict how 3D printing might affect the high-volume overpriced-plastic-shit industry. They won't change their manufacturing methods; additive manufacturing is only more cost-effective for low-volume or customized products. But maybe as more people are able to make their own parts at home, the prices of these products will be driven down. Or maybe industry will react by demanding that governments impose taxes on 3D printers and the raw materials they use (like the music industry lobbying for taxes on CD-Rs, MP3 players and so on).

For all the fuss, Intellectual property rights might not be a big issue. I think industry will have to settle for voiding warranties when people fabricate their own replacement parts. And when it comes to simple products (like ipod cases), the open source community will have no trouble creating its own unique designs and the risk of patent infringement will be low.

Edited by LandBeluga ()

shermanstick posted:
have we confirmed whether or not the physical products made from this 3d printer are edible

They've done 3d printers with edible stuff. cookingissues.com made spiral pasta with them

Myfanwy posted:

shermanstick posted:
have we confirmed whether or not the physical products made from this 3d printer are edible

They've done 3d printers with edible stuff. cookingissues.com made spiral pasta with them

lmao

robot cake decorators
http://www.fastcompany.com/1778661/3d-printers-food-digital-gastronomy

Foods that can’t be readily extruded from a syringe such as meats and vegetables are ground and mixed with other liquids to create novel food-inks.

Using corn masa dough, the lab team along with Chef David Arnold printed a new form of corn chip in the shape of a flower that could be deep fried evenly. "If it were solid you would burn the outside before the inside was fried," says Lipton. "By making it porous we can deep fry the whole thing at the same time. Therefore we can make much larger objects to deep fry."

So this is what the future looks like. It isn't flying cars and sentient robots. It's extruded vat-grown meat pastes and gigantic deep-fried "objects."

LandBeluga posted:
It's not easy to predict how 3D printing might affect the high-volume overpriced-plastic-shit industry. They won't change their manufacturing methods; additive manufacturing is only more cost-effective for low-volume or customized products. But maybe as more people are able to make their own parts at home, the prices of these products will be driven down. Or maybe industry will react by demanding that governments impose taxes on 3D printers and the raw materials they use (like the music industry lobbying for taxes on CD-Rs, MP3 players and so on).

For all the fuss, Intellectual property rights might not be a big issue. I think industry will have to settle for voiding warranties when people fabricate their own replacement parts. And when it comes to simple products (like ipod cases), the open source community will have no trouble creating its own unique designs and the risk of patent infringement will be low.

It will have no noticeable effect whatsoever. People don't want little "mini-factories" in their house so they can create the components of things and then combine them.

The only example thus provided of a product that is 100% plastic is an iPod case (how old-fashioned, don't you mean iPhone, haha). Since there is only one material used here and it can only result in one rigid product I doubt it would be anything like the iPhone cases that are on the market. A sample case:

"The Defender Series camouflage iPhone 4 & 4S case features three layers of solid protection. The two-piece polycarbonate shell includes a built-in screen protector and attaches snuggly around your iPhone. The outer layer features rugged silicone that defends against bumps, scratches dust and drops."

Sure, many things come in plastic containers. But this will only help you create a container with nothing in it, so that does nothing.

Many electronic devices are encased in plastic, but this does not change the fact that the machine cannot create the electronics within.

Even if people were to somehow make their own remote controls by combining purchased electronics with their home-made plastics, this would no doubt be more expensive than simply purchasing a pre-built controller due to economies of scale, not to mention the significantly decreased convenience on the part of the consumer (that is, the labor cost required to produce the finished product).

Many little plastic trinkets are souvenirs, only meaningful because of the place they are purchased from, so recreating (and painting?) your own Mickey Mouse toy is not quite the same as buying it for $3 from the Disneyland gift store, and you can forget about any sort of movable parts.

There is absolutely no conceivable way that this device will be used for anything except artistic sculptures, most of which will be 3D figurines of video game shit. Anything that could be mass-produced would be better and more cheaply mass-produced using existing plastic molding methods, and nothing that is 100% plastic has any significant value. You'll have all the anime figurines you want, ready to paint, but ultimately the production quality and your painting skills won't match up to those purchasable from Neko Magic.

eternal_virtue posted:

LandBeluga posted:

It will have no noticeable effect whatsoever. People don't want little "mini-factories" in their house so they can create the components of things and then combine them.

The only example thus provided of a product that is 100% plastic is an iPod case (how old-fashioned, don't you mean iPhone, haha). Since there is only one material used here and it can only result in one rigid product I doubt it would be anything like the iPhone cases that are on the market. A sample case:

"The Defender Series camouflage iPhone 4 & 4S case features three layers of solid protection. The two-piece polycarbonate shell includes a built-in screen protector and attaches snuggly around your iPhone. The outer layer features rugged silicone that defends against bumps, scratches dust and drops."

Sure, many things come in plastic containers. But this will only help you create a container with nothing in it, so that does nothing.

Many electronic devices are encased in plastic, but this does not change the fact that the machine cannot create the electronics within.

Even if people were to somehow make their own remote controls by combining purchased electronics with their home-made plastics, this would no doubt be more expensive than simply purchasing a pre-built controller due to economies of scale, not to mention the significantly decreased convenience on the part of the consumer (that is, the labor cost required to produce the finished product).

Many little plastic trinkets are souvenirs, only meaningful because of the place they are purchased from, so recreating (and painting?) your own Mickey Mouse toy is not quite the same as buying it for $3 from the Disneyland gift store, and you can forget about any sort of movable parts.

There is absolutely no conceivable way that this device will be used for anything except artistic sculptures, most of which will be 3D figurines of video game shit. Anything that could be mass-produced would be better and more cheaply mass-produced using existing plastic molding methods, and nothing that is 100% plastic has any significant value. You'll have all the anime figurines you want, ready to paint, but ultimately the production quality and your painting skills won't match up to those purchasable from Neko Magic.

I think where home 3D printing will be most useful is in the fabrication of replacement parts for products that would otherwise be thrown away when they break, or where the cost of servicing and/or official replacement parts is unreasonably high. I should have made that more clear in my post. As you note, there are not many products that are entirely plastic, and you're almost certainly right to say that these devices will be of minimal utility in allowing people to create any complete products at home other than shitty miniatures and other trinkets.

How would you just make a replacement part for something, like eye it, or what?

And how many plastic things do you own that you're breaking pieces of them all the time and throwing them away? What kinds of things are you talking about anyway?

Meursault posted:

And how many plastic things do you own that you're breaking pieces of them all the time and throwing them away? What kinds of things are you talking about anyway?

if you needed a replacement gear or rail, a you get could the dimensions of the part like pitch, major/minor diameter and then print it out

Edited by Hurricane_Faggot ()

cannot be used to fabricate power jacks
i can't think of anything i would use that for, even things around the house that need to be replaced, i'm not going to look to torrent the specifications for dowel that costs twenty cents

Meursault posted:

For example, I have a blender with a plastic piece at the bottom of the pitcher which has cracked, causing it to leak. The replacement part is absurdly expensive for what it is. I think with my eyes and digital calipers and other measuring devices, I could design a satisfactory replica.

Full disclosure: I am both an engineer and an autist. I am sure this is a huge influence on my opinion on this, because designing small parts like that is somewhat trivial for someone with my education. However, it isn't hard to imagine 3D scanners becoming commonplace. You could glue together a broken part, scan it, generate an appropriate CAD model, then print a copy with a 3D printer.

Edited by LandBeluga ()

are you going to employ the same keen insight that led you to speculate in bitcoin
nm forgot it was posted

Edited by Hurricane_Faggot ()

Groulxsmith posted:
are you going to employ the same keen insight that led you to speculate in bitcoin

lol who speculated in bitcoins?

eternal_virtue posted:

once again goons prove they are the most short-sighted know-it-all motherfuckers in existence, unable to conceive of anything outside of their own limited middle class perpetual childhoods

an entirely brand new manufacturing process and literally the ONLY things your feeble dungbrain can come up with for it is fucking Warhammer and Mickey Mouse figurines, which tells me everything id ever need to know about you and your shitty opinions you fucking pathetic nerd-ass Disneyland motherfucker. lol guess you forgot to mention 3d printing can be used to make the DVD cases for your 12-foot wall of rare erotic animes. somebody should 3d print you a fucking pacifier you 2d baby

lol look how fucking wrong you are

"3d printing is a completely useless process. It can only be used to make objects out of glass, metal, concrete, resin, ceramic, polymers, and, heh, plastics" --a fyad-lite-lite-lite with literal bitchtits from a lifetime of absorbing bisphenol-A

how does it feel to be the wrongest person since Donald Rumsfeld? ahahahaha kill yourself
Julie Bombplot, ladies and gentlemen.

Julie_Bombplot posted:

eternal_virtue posted:

once again goons prove they are the most short-sighted know-it-all motherfuckers in existence, unable to conceive of anything outside of their own limited middle class perpetual childhoods

an entirely brand new manufacturing process and literally the ONLY things your feeble dungbrain can come up with for it is fucking Warhammer and Mickey Mouse figurines, which tells me everything id ever need to know about you and your shitty opinions you fucking pathetic nerd-ass Disneyland motherfucker. lol guess you forgot to mention 3d printing can be used to make the DVD cases for your 12-foot wall of rare erotic animes. somebody should 3d print you a fucking pacifier you 2d baby

"3d printing is a completely useless process. It can only be used to make objects out of glass, metal, concrete, resin, ceramic, polymers, and, heh, plastics" --a fyad-lite-lite-lite with literal bitchtits from a lifetime of absorbing bisphenol-A

quick question for any techno-futurists: will i be able to print radiohead cds and then pay whatever i like for the drm-free music?? #whoa #riaagotowned
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
how has nobody in this fucking thread quoted the terminator 2 quote about knives and stabbing weapons

Because you have navigated away from forums.selfdiagnosedaspergerssufferers.net Terry!!

Julie_Bombplot posted:

eternal_virtue posted:

Yes. In the near future everyone will wear Crocs.

Superabound posted:
Look, i really hate to be a buzzkill, but Spontaneous Socialist Revolution is like, totally not going to happen guys.

An equal, rational society will not emerge from under the fist of Capitalism until socially irrevocable advances in technology inevitably erode and undermine the false scarcity-creating mechanisms and constantly (and expensively) maintained structures that furtively keep the corrupt, eterna-dying corpse god of Capital on life support. Post scarcity society FTW! 420 eat my own sterilized reconstituted shit every day

Not sure what all this means, but hell, Im always lookin for another reason to smoke 420. Lite it up brotha!

in the post-scarcity world i will have a tiny oil derrick in my bedroom pumping crude to a tiny plastic feedstock plant which will supply my 3d printer

shennong posted:
in the post-scarcity world i will have a tiny oil derrick in my bedroom pumping crude to a tiny plastic feedstock plant which will supply my 3d printer

"It doesn't matter because Collapse."

oh damn i never considered the fact that this thing could make me as many crocs as i want. dang...
Like how cheap do the techno optimists in this thread imagine this thing is going to get because I don't consume anywhere near enough plastic crud to make buying one of these remotely economical until it costs well below a thousand dollars. Assuming one will last 5-10 years with zero maintenance I might save money with a price tag under $500, but anything over that and I doubt dodging copyrights is going to pay for itself. When will it be cheaper to keep one of these things lying around along (with other weird expensive sounding shit like 3d scanners and digital calipers (???)) than just buying a new blender? Keep in mind I couldn't build a bird house on my own let alone retro-engineer a piece of machinery, so if it requires any skill or effort beyond googling design specs id prolly just shell out for replacement parts from the manufacturer.

I can think of scenarios in which these things become useful for small specialty shops but it seems super optimistic to imagine a little microfactory in every garage.

LandBeluga posted:

shennong posted:

"It doesn't matter because Collapse."

can you print thermoplastic starch? ima grow bioplastic feedstock, i need to replace the rollers in the dishwasher. restayall can starve

I literally found a blender sitting out on the street with a funky seventies color scheme that works perfectly, the cool think about plastic is its actually really durable and in my experience generally outlasts any electronic, mechanical, or metallic elements connected to the plastic bits.

Squalid posted:
When will it be cheaper to keep one of these things lying around along (with other weird expensive sounding shit like 3d scanners and digital calipers (???)) than just buying a new blender? Keep in mind I couldn't build a bird house on my own let alone retro-engineer a piece of machinery, so if it requires any skill or effort beyond googling design specs id prolly just shell out for replacement parts from the manufacturer.

I can think of scenarios in which these things become useful for small specialty shops but it seems super optimistic to imagine a little microfactory in every garage.

a pair of calipers is like $40, pirated CAD is free, learning how to use it might take someone a week or two but its not like everyone in every community has to be an engineer

the economics are already there actually, the rollers in my parent's dishwasher actually did need to be replaced the other day and the company wanted $300 for the entire rail/roller assembly. if there'd been someone down the street who could print the roller for $5 i would have gone that route (ended up getting a $20 subassembly from a parts company shipping out of the same warehouse the $300 assemblies were shipping from lol). 3d printing will probably play a significant role in salvage economies imo