potushead: do you have any experience constructing and/or using cold frames?
cool thread, I'm looking to grow a container garden once i get back from ireland. maybe some herbs and peppers at first

LandBeluga posted:

I do not, unfortunately, although that is on my list for next year's expansion projects. i have two raised beds with fencing that i'm going to turn into mini greenhouses with removeable sheeting, but i think cold frames technically require glass? which i'm not terribly comfortable messing with. i'd be happy to scan in the Homesteader's pages on making cold frames if that would be helpful for you

today was the day to

and i spent the last 3 hours or so picking goddamn rocks out of it and laid down some fertilizer to prep on gettin my seeds in the ground w/in the next two weeks. 10 buckets of gravel sized rocks, two wagons' worth of larger rocks, 15 worms, and half a metal pipe were harvested today

last night i got my sugar peas, beans, basil, squash and zucchini put in starter pods and tucked away in the grow closet, next to the tomatoes which have all sprouted in the space of 12 hours. the concord grape plant and blueberry cutting are both chillin on the front porch getting swole and the green onions are starting to pop up. progress~

potushead posted:
but i think cold frames technically require glass? which i'm not terribly comfortable messing with

if you can get an old window and take out the sliding pane they`re super easy to knock together, it`s basically 4 pieces of wood and the window over it (preferably hinged), put a thermometer in there and keep an eye on it and you`re good (if you`re getting fancy you can get a pneumatic descender and automate the temperature monitoring stuff but its not really a big deal to do it yourself if you`re around the cold frame a couple times a day)

i wish i had rocks in my yard. im fascinated by primitive stonework like these mysterious stone chambers all over new england http://www.cellarwalls.com/ and i wish i could build enduring stone structures but unfortunately the property is in a river valley and its just loam
oh no, not well irrigated, stone-free loam
well-irrigated?? i beg to differ
My garden is kind of sad with it's three cucumber plants and marigolds but my plants are growing strong. I really like that some certain flowers (such as marigolds) will protect your vegetables from aphids and other kinds of pests. I get a lot of joy out of seeing my plants flourish. Gardening is a very rewarding hobby in many ways and it's something you can easily jump into. Thanks for making this thread.
ive got a friend who uses cold frames and i, too, would be very interested in making some for next year. this year im still hoeing out more annexed land for the garden + starting up the chicken flock, btw i got 3 more chicks today (for free wootles) so now ive got 5

GoldenLionTamarin posted:
i wish i had rocks in my yard. im fascinated by primitive stonework like these mysterious stone chambers all over new england http://www.cellarwalls.com/ and i wish i could build enduring stone structures but unfortunately the property is in a river valley and its just loam

i'm not that far up in NE proper but i have the same rocks all through my yard now and when i was growing up we had one of those old cold cellars on the property from the 1800s or w/e that looked a lot like that pic. so far ive made half a wall with the suckers and am going to try and not purchase paving stones for the new garden by just using the big slabs of limestone laying all over and in the property. you are welcome to them but its strictly self-serve they're heavy as fuck

[account deactivated]
don't mock the man for finding liberation at the end of a plowshare
[account deactivated]

tpaine posted:
this thread is about gardening techniques, not how to pay for it

i pay the tired price for my garden ;_;

potushead posted:

LandBeluga posted:

I do not, unfortunately, although that is on my list for next year's expansion projects. i have two raised beds with fencing that i'm going to turn into mini greenhouses with removeable sheeting, but i think cold frames technically require glass? which i'm not terribly comfortable messing with. i'd be happy to scan in the Homesteader's pages on making cold frames if that would be helpful for you

today was the day to

and i spent the last 3 hours or so picking goddamn rocks out of it and laid down some fertilizer to prep on gettin my seeds in the ground w/in the next two weeks. 10 buckets of gravel sized rocks, two wagons' worth of larger rocks, 15 worms, and half a metal pipe were harvested today

last night i got my sugar peas, beans, basil, squash and zucchini put in starter pods and tucked away in the grow closet, next to the tomatoes which have all sprouted in the space of 12 hours. the concord grape plant and blueberry cutting are both chillin on the front porch getting swole and the green onions are starting to pop up. progress~

when I lived in idaho digging a six inch deep hole for my mom's rose bush meant hauling out three or four tombstone-sized rocks. eventually my dad and I just got a 6-foot crowbar and pounded the shit out of everything we saw and scooped out the debris, instead of trying to pry whole rocks out and running the risk of snapping our spines

utah is better but the part of the yard where my garden is was apparently used as a dumping ground for wood scraps and extra roofing nails when the house was built back in the early 90s, so in what is now my squash section I once dug out several hundred tiny rusted-out nails. I still find a few each year. *presses button* Maximum Iron

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]

Tsargon posted:
ive got a friend who uses cold frames and i, too, would be very interested in making some for next year. this year im still hoeing out more annexed land for the garden + starting up the chicken flock, btw i got 3 more chicks today (for free wootles) so now ive got 5

post chickpics

where in NE are u potushead

futurewidow posted:

Tsargon posted:

post chickpics

i will tomorrow. theyve been together for a few hours now and there doesnt seem to be any trouble so thats good. one of my chicken friends once tried to integrate a half grown hen into a group (5 or so) of full grown hens and the full growns pecked it to death, so maybe thats just a problem with full grown chickens and when theyre chicks they dont care so much

stegosaurus posted:
utah is better but the part of the yard where my garden is was apparently used as a dumping ground for wood scraps and extra roofing nails when the house was built back in the early 90s, so in what is now my squash section I once dug out several hundred tiny rusted-out nails. I still find a few each year. *presses button* Maximum Iron

lol same i found so much random construction + other crap on this property the first few years it was ridiculous. that pipe i dug up today was maybe 6 inches below the surface before rototilling i have no idea how it got down there the house was only built in '94

GoldenLionTamarin posted:
where in NE are u potushead

im in upstate ny so not technically NE but close enough when it comes to fwiggin rocks

futurewidow posted:
post chickpics

yeah!!!!! e: ok!!! tomorrow's good too. peace be unto your chicks

hens who aren't allowed to raise eggs are crazy bitches. just in my experience. not generalizing. some of my best friends are... fuck
[account deactivated]

stegosaurus posted:
hens who aren't allowed to raise eggs are crazy bitches. just in my experience. not generalizing. some of my best friends are... fuck

you dont get to speak for the hens

tsargon stick a chicken on your keyboard so she can let these players know what's what

stegosaurus posted:

this thread has a lot of sexual innuendos, need some triggers warnings please
[account deactivated]

potushead posted:
tsargon stick a chicken on your keyboard so she can let these players know what's what

(chick-thinker). o O (oh shit! a hand reaching towards m-SQUAKSQUAKSQUAKSQUAKSQUAKSQUAK)

One of my chickens had blood on its eggs!! halp
[account deactivated]

Doug posted:
One of my chickens had blood on its eggs!! halp

sounds like that chickene is trying to clown on you. dont fall for its shit

according to poultry forums its probably from a slight internal wound and it should heal by itself but I should keep an eye on her.

Doug posted:
according to poultry forums its probably from a slight internal wound and it should heal by itself but I should keep an eye on her.

I wish your chickens the best

let me live in your commune
The last time i saw most of them they were pullets and cute, but now they less cute since they have combs. although they are still pullets.

Doug posted:

i'm sure she will be just fine, sauteed in a nice wine vinaigrette

no!

Doug posted:
The last time i saw most of them they were pullets and cute, but now they less cute since they have combs. although they are still pullets.

even when theyre young i cant really think of chickens as cute. their eyes have a really strange look to them, its unsettling

they are when they stand on your head