Ironicwarcriminal posted:
To the communists in here. I haven’t read solzhenitsyn but I’ve heard the criticisms of him: Are there any books about the victims of communism you would recommend or is that impossible because there were no vicitms?

Limonov

limonov wrote one of the few fictionbooks about ussr communism that was neither kitsch nor absurdistgauche

babyfinland posted:

aerdil posted:
is this the dude where the CIA smuggled his book out to submit to the nobel prize or am i thinking of a different anti-communist fucko?

that was doctor zhivago

"By the time of his death from lung cancer in 1960, the campaign against Pasternak had severely damaged the international credibility of the U.S.S.R. He remains a major figure in Russian literature to this day. Furthermore, tactics pioneered by Pasternak were later continued, expanded, and refined by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and other Soviet dissidents."

TOM ALMOST HAS HIS UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE GUYS I THINK HE KNOWS WHAT HES TALKIGN ABOUT

ialdabaoth posted:

babyfinland posted:

aerdil posted:
is this the dude where the CIA smuggled his book out to submit to the nobel prize or am i thinking of a different anti-communist fucko?

that was doctor zhivago

"By the time of his death from lung cancer in 1960, the campaign against Pasternak had severely damaged the international credibility of the U.S.S.R. He remains a major figure in Russian literature to this day. Furthermore, tactics pioneered by Pasternak were later continued, expanded, and refined by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and other Soviet dissidents."

gasp

dr. zhivago is one of my favourite films because i'm a big gay baby (gayby)

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
TOM ALMOST HAS HIS UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE GUYS I THINK HE KNOWS WHAT HES TALKIGN ABOUT

check yuor school-privilege

im a motherfuckin college dropout Hell yeah guys
[account deactivated]

Crow posted:

Tom don't do bacon! TOM LIVES BACON

the gulag archipelago was kind of a watershed book for me, it was on my parent's shelf and it was a huge ass book, and if you've read it, objectively it is pretty intense. I read it when I was fourteen or so- imagine little ol stegosaurus, with his spindly arms, lugging around a six or seven hundred page book. all of my teachers were so proud.

I went on a serious solzhenitsyn kick and solzhenitsyn, and critical works on solzhenitsyn, and robert heinlein/arthur c clarke were all I read for like a year and a half. that means all three volumes of the gulag archipelago, a few of his shorter stories and all of the red wheel that had been published up until that point. plus like four biographies

stegosaurus posted:
the gulag archipelago was kind of a watershed book for me, it was on my parent's shelf and it was a huge ass book, and if you've read it, objectively it is pretty intense. I read it when I was fourteen or so- imagine little ol stegosaurus, with his spindly arms, lugging around a six or seven hundred page book. all of my teachers were so proud.

I went on a serious solzhenitsyn kick and solzhenitsyn, and critical works on solzhenitsyn, and robert heinlein/arthur c clarke were all I read for like a year and a half. that means all three volumes of the gulag archipelago, a few of his shorter stories and all of the red wheel that had been published up until that point. plus like four biographies

maybe you can tell me what its about then for the love of all thats good and holy

babyfinland posted:

crustpunk_trotsky posted:
bsaically all justification of stalin and mao's actions comes down to "well if you look at the facts in a new light *pushes glasses up nose* it turns out they only killed a billion people through malice and idiocy, not a trillion as was once thought"

i once said basically this to my mother and i was like hrm that just came out of my mouth

I said that at a party and a syrian exchange student said "haha, yes, we are such progressives nowadays, it was not ten million it was five"

stegosaurus posted:

babyfinland posted:

bsaically all justification of stalin and mao's actions comes down to "well if you look at the facts in a new light *pushes glasses up nose* it turns out they only killed a billion people through malice and idiocy, not a trillion as was once thought"

i once said basically this to my mother and i was like hrm that just came out of my mouth

I said that at a party and a syrian exchange student said "haha, yes, we are such progressives nowadays, it was not ten million it was five"

hahaha

jools posted:
im a motherfuckin college dropout Hell yeah guys

i never even dropped out, i literally have a high school education

[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:

stegosaurus posted:

maybe you can tell me what its about then for the love of all thats good and holy

it's about the camps, its like shalamov's kolyma tales except way more preachy and verbose. it's not really about the Broader System until the last half of the third book. some parts, like solzhenitsyn's life after the camps in internal exile in central asia, are pretty good and even funny a little bit. and a bunch of the stories that he presents from other people, like the story of the kengir uprising, are really good on their own. not reccommended reading overall but okay in parts. I had a much less rosy opinion of solzhenitsyn once I found out what his real political beliefs are because I did actually like his books. as a teenager.

babyfinland posted:

stegosaurus posted:

babyfinland posted:

hahaha

he said "lets look at your bookshelf" and we talked about different titles on it, it was cool but really weird, people were looking in my room at the two of us sitting on my bed next to each other, my girlfriend was making fun of me for weeks about it.

it's assigned for my central asia writers under soviet colonialism class, i would assume the part in central asia? she's assigned a bunch of trashy horror story stuff but i'd like to know what i'm not reading so thx

stegosaurus posted:

babyfinland posted:

stegosaurus posted:

babyfinland posted:

hahaha

he said "lets look at your bookshelf" and we talked about different titles on it, it was cool but really weird, people were looking in my room at the two of us sitting on my bed next to each other, my girlfriend was making fun of me for weeks about it.

arabs are hella gay

[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:
it's assigned for my central asia writers under soviet colonialism class, i would assume the part in central asia? she's assigned a bunch of trashy horror story stuff but i'd like to know what i'm not reading so thx

the part in central asia has him building a house out of sod and buying fancy milk for the first time in years and teaching students physics. not really that world-shaking but I guess if the teacher wants to paint central asia as a soviet backwater/refuse dump it does kind of do that.

stegosaurus posted:

babyfinland posted:

the part in central asia has him building a house out of sod and buying fancy milk for the first time in years and teaching students physics. not really that world-shaking but I guess if the teacher wants to paint central asia as a soviet backwater/refuse dump it does kind of do that.

today in class she said when you step of the plane in tashkent the first thing you notice is the smells like roses, the most powerful beautiful smell you've ever smelled.

how oriental
[account deactivated]

babyfinland posted:
arabs are hella gay

yeah an arab tried to kiss me once when i was on vacation in seattle but it wasn't actually an arab it was a white muslim dude named thomas

After the comprador West-Germans and Anglo-finance agents(that were more than ready to raise Hitler in the first place...? Hmm? Hmm?) parted Germany into two, it was Joseph himself who gave us the DDR, the last showing of truly noble german spirit. Such a man can do no wrong

babyfinland posted:
today in class she said when you step of the plane in tashkent the first thing you notice is the smells like roses, the most powerful beautiful smell you've ever smelled.

my wife grew up in tashkent; she assures me the first thing you smell is lamb's blood and desperation

MY UZBEK WIFE

littlegreenpills posted:

babyfinland posted:

my wife grew up in tashkent; she assures me the first thing you smell is lamb's blood and desperation

is it true that the uzbek president dances with all the children when he hears music?

[account deactivated]
most airports smell like aviation fuel

Hilo airport in Hawaii was the nicest i've ever been too...tiny little yellow finches fluttering around and employees watering potplants and hanging vines along rich wooden open-air corridors, lovely.

To the communists in here. I haven’t read solzhenitsyn but I’ve heard the criticisms of him: Are there any books about the victims of communism you would recommend or is that impossible because there were no vicitms?

kolyma tales

mistersix posted:

kolyma tales

shalamov was actually a trot. so not technically a 'victim' since that implies that it was an outside force responsible for his downfall and not his own wicked degeneracy.

I just donated a pile of books to the state penitentiary, one of them was, you guessed it, kolyma tales.

I thought it was "but capitalism probably killed more people"

someone i know once told me that stalin's actions were neccesary because they prevented the ussr from "succumbing to liberalism" which would've "brought more death, misery and poverty".

I think he changed his opinion since.
i'd rather be dead than have freedom of speech

Transient_Grace posted:
someone i know once told me that stalin's actions were neccesary because they prevented the ussr from "succumbing to liberalism" which would've "brought more death, misery and poverty".

agreed