• Jadaliyya: Why did you write this book?
    Belén Fernández: I asked myself this question several thousand times, particularly during my third rereading of every Friedman column published since 1995.

Colonel Oliver North thought he was dealing with Iranian “mod­erates” when he was really dealing with Iranian grocers; he had no idea how to bargain with the original rug merchants. He should have taken business lessons from Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi.
-Thomas Friedman, From Beirut to Jerusalem

I have a confession to make. Right after 9/11, I was given a CD by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, which included its rendition of ‘The Battle Hymn of the Republic’ I put it in my car’s CD player and played that song over and over, often singing along as I drove.
-Thomas Friedman

if you like sick burns, then "the imperial messenger" by belén fernández is where you want to go, she provides them by the spoonful, sometimes it seems as though they'll never end. you're caught up in a whirlwind of sick burns, ascending to heaven as she delivers killing blow after killing blow against the great mustachioed master of the new york times op-ed page.

As for other varieties of U.S.-administered education, Friedman’s solution for quelling the Abu Ghraib torture scandal is to “close this prison immediately and reopen it in a month as the Abu Ghraib Technical College for Computer Training.” He meanwhile swears his commitment to “dismantling Guantanamo Bay and replacing it with a free field hospital for poor Cubans” a curious solution in a country that already offers free universal health care.

The details of Friedman’s 9/11 experience are found in the “Diary” section of Longitudes and Attitudes. He learns of the attacks while in the Tel Aviv suburbs, where he is in the process of retrieving his bathing suit from his taxicab after conducting an interview with Tel Aviv University President Itamar Rabinovich. Returning to Rabinovich’s office, Friedman watches CNN footage for several hours with female university staff, who “kept asking what it would mean for Israel. ‘I don’t know,’ I snapped. ‘It’s World War III,’ I thought to myself. ‘It’s much bigger than Israel.’”

It would appear from the paragraphs that follow, however, that World War III is in fact not much bigger than Friedman himself.Feeling “suffocated,” Friedman leaves the office, procures a room at the beachfront Tel Aviv Hilton, refuses his friends’ invitation to dinner, and ultimately goes into labor during a late-night walk by the sea: “It was there, massaged by the Mediterranean breeze, that my head started to clear and I finally gave birth to the thought that had been bothering me most: ‘What kind of world are my two girls going to grow up in?’”

this one-man walking TED talk is repeatedly flambeed in the vapours of his own petulance and idiocy. the hilarity of the first section, as she runs through the litany of his inconsistencies and factual screwups, turns to horror and despair as she moves through his impressions of the middle east and the arab world (replete with references to all arabs as “Ahmed”), to the Heart of Farkness: friedmans opinions about israel.

That Friedman is able to advertise himself as a serious critic of Israel while simultaneously reiterating that the nation “had me at hello”‘ naturally works in the favor of the Israeli right wing,” shifting the spectrum of permissible discourse such that any sub­stantive criticism can be rejected as extremist. Friedman himself writes about the importance of refraining from “destructive criti­cism” of Israel, done without first “convey to Israelis that you understand the world they’re living in” by listing atrocities com­mitted by regional Arabs and Muslims, such as the killing of Iraqi Shiites by Iraqi Sunnis. “Destructive critics” we are told, seek to “delegitimize Israel” by “dismiss Gaza as an Israeli prison, without ever mentioning that had Hamas decided to turn it into Dubai rather than Tehran, Israel would have behaved dif­ferently, too.”’ The problem with this sort of logic is that, even if it could be scientifically argued that Gaza has been turned into Tehran, such transformations are not illegal under international humanitarian law, whereas Israel’s blockade of Gaza is. It is furthermore unclear why, if the illegal use of white phosphorus munitions against honorary Tehranis is not a problem, Friedman finds it appalling that the Iranian regime is capable of attacking civilians with more mundane weaponry in the real Tehran.

Edited by discipline ()

are friedshops allowed in this thread. because i havent read that pdf yet
Yes please!!!!!!
i want a pdf

jools posted:
Yes please!!!!!!

ok good luck with your reading

pm me if you want a pdf

We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert when my thoughts coalesced into a monsoon-season thunderstorm. Looking at my aged, shirtless Samoan attorney it realized the struggle he was going through to get cheaper prescription drugs from across the Mexican boarder. The irony, a native Samoan, turn blue-blooded American was now turning to Mexico in his time of need. Over time, though, like a pinata stuck by the bat of promise of prosperity and business, not only indigenous, industrial Mexican goods and culture will enter the US but the lax rights over pharmaceuticals which finalize the tortilla-like flatness of North America.
[account deactivated]
yeah well sometimes it's nice to have someone, even Freidman, who contributes ideas and optimism. It makes a nice change from emo academics who just want to attack everyone and everything until everybody in the world is just as misanthropic, sarcastic and joyless as them.
[account deactivated]
the original juggalo

tpaine posted:
here's my inbox
nigger jools April 15, 2012 18:13:54
nigger jools March 23, 2012 18:12:31
nigger nigger pakis go home to inidia jools March 15, 2012 18:10:28
your nudes jools Jan. 11, 2012 21:25:08
crissaegrim vs alucard sword futurewidow Jan. 11, 2012 21:15:02
nigger jools Jan. 11, 2012 20:47:33
Re: nudes discipline Jan. 11, 2012 05:35:59
Re: nudes Der_Schnooglybird Jan. 10, 2012 23:46:00
nigger jools Jan. 10, 2012 23:32:05
nigger jools Jan. 10, 2012 21:18:52

wow doesn't he know that intent is NOT magic

jools explain yourself!
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
IF anyone Wants the avatar

jools posted:
  • Jadaliyya: Why did you write this book?
    Belén Fernández: I asked myself this question several thousand times, particularly during my third rereading of every Friedman column published since 1995.

Colonel Oliver North thought he was dealing with Iranian “mod­erates” when he was really dealing with Iranian grocers; he had no idea how to bargain with the original rug merchants. He should have taken business lessons from Libyan leader Muammar Qaddafi.
-Thomas Friedman, From Beirut to Jerusalem

I have a confession to make. Right after 9/11, I was given a CD by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, which included its rendition of ‘The Battle Hymn of the Republic’ I put it in my car’s CD player and played that song over and over, often singing along as I drove.
-Thomas Friedman

if you like sick burns, then "the imperial messenger" by belén fernández is where you want to go, she provides them by the spoonful, sometimes it seems as though they'll never end. you're caught up in a whirlwind of sick burns, ascending to heaven as she delivers killing blow after killing blow against the great mustachioed master of the new york times op-ed page.

As for other varieties of U.S.-administered education, Friedman’s solution for quelling the Abu Ghraib torture scandal is to “close this prison immediately and reopen it in a month as the Abu Ghraib Technical College for Computer Training.” He meanwhile swears his commitment to “dismantling Guantanamo Bay and replacing it with a free field hospital for poor Cubans” a curious solution in a country that already offers free universal health care.

The details of Friedman’s 9/11 experience are found in the “Diary” section of Longitudes and Attitudes. He learns of the attacks while in the Tel Aviv suburbs, where he is in the process of retrieving his bathing suit from his taxicab after conducting an interview with Tel Aviv University President Itamar Rabinovich. Returning to Rabinovich’s office, Friedman watches CNN footage for several hours with female university staff, who “kept asking what it would mean for Israel. ‘I don’t know,’ I snapped. ‘It’s World War III,’ I thought to myself. ‘It’s much bigger than Israel.’”

It would appear from the paragraphs that follow, however, that World War III is in fact not much bigger than Friedman himself.Feeling “suffocated,” Friedman leaves the office, procures a room at the beachfront Tel Aviv Hilton, refuses his friends’ invitation to dinner, and ultimately goes into labor during a late-night walk by the sea: “It was there, massaged by the Mediterranean breeze, that my head started to clear and I finally gave birth to the thought that had been bothering me most: ‘What kind of world are my two girls going to grow up in?’”

this one-man walking TED talk is repeatedly flambeed in the vapours of his own petulance and idiocy. the hilarity of the first section, as she runs through the litany of his inconsistencies and factual screwups, turns to horror and despair as she moves through his impressions of the middle east and the arab world (replete with references to all arabs as “Ahmed”), to the Heart of Farkness: friedmans opinions about israel.

That Friedman is able to advertise himself as a serious critic of Israel while simultaneously reiterating that the nation “had me at hello”‘ naturally works in the favor of the Israeli right wing,” shifting the spectrum of permissible discourse such that any sub­stantive criticism can be rejected as extremist. Friedman himself writes about the importance of refraining from “destructive criti­cism” of Israel, done without first “convey to Israelis that you understand the world they’re living in” by listing atrocities com­mitted by regional Arabs and Muslims, such as the killing of Iraqi Shiites by Iraqi Sunnis. “Destructive critics” we are told, seek to “delegitimize Israel” by “dismiss Gaza as an Israeli prison, without ever mentioning that had Hamas decided to turn it into Dubai rather than Tehran, Israel would have behaved dif­ferently, too.”’ The problem with this sort of logic is that, even if it could be scientifically argued that Gaza has been turned into Tehran, such transformations are not illegal under international humanitarian law, whereas Israel’s blockade of Gaza is. It is furthermore unclear why, if the illegal use of white phosphorus munitions against honorary Tehranis is not a problem, Friedman finds it appalling that the Iranian regime is capable of attacking civilians with more mundane weaponry in the real Tehran.

pm me if you want a pdf

I WANT A PDF REAALLY BADLY

[account deactivated]
POST THE MELTDOWN
[account deactivated]
dadaists took control of the cultural elite back in the 60s and have just been running one elaborate performance art piece since then, friedman is a genius
[account deactivated]
This is just outstanding
“Frankly, I have a soft spot for the de facto Saudi ruler, Crown Prince Abdullah, who is a man of decency and moderation”
here's the PDF
wake up, Mr. Friedman. waek up and smell the ashes
its impossible not to love friedman. god just fuckin nails it sometimes.

Prospero posted:
its impossible not to love friedman. god just fuckin nails it sometimes.

This misshapen knave—his mother was a witch

was kinda iffy about these new hitbooks bc verso is really behind the times but this seems cool
i really want nothin to do with a hitbook, like i really wana tell someone "yea i just read this raw ass takedown of thom friedman," i mean yah shore its cool, but uhhh
is a hitbook anything like those Snaps books i used to read at Barnes & Noble

Impper posted:
i really want nothin to do with a hitbook, like i really wana tell someone "yea i just read this raw ass takedown of thom friedman," i mean yah shore its cool, but uhhh

im a busy man, id have my butler read it

hit economists in the face and write a book about it
fried, man
the prothrombin time of all your favorite usury apologists in one handy reference guide
thomas friedman is the nastiest skank bitch I've ever met. do not trust him. he is a fugly slut!

Edited by TG ()

Impper posted:

so its true, you do select books based on telling ppl about them after