i guess it was in theaters a few months ago but it now you can see it online on pbs's website

http://www.pbs.org/pov/ifatreefalls/

it's a pretty good demonstration of what actually happens when american radicals break the law in direct action against the state/business/etc (they burn down a couple buildings, make mistakes, stop, and five years later one of them gets bullied by the cops into turning informant and everyone else goes to prison).

also spends a lot of time exploring the things that made them willing to start burning shit down. includes the footage of copts using q-tips to apply mace directly to the eyeballs of a nonviolent protester, which i'd heard about but never seen. anyway it's pretty good and if you haven't seen it you totally should!
i'm glad you put burning down buildings as a mistake.

img-911

bin laden: "whoopsy daisy"

getfiscal posted:
i'm glad you put burning down buildings as a mistake.

img-911

bin laden: "whoopsy daisy"

well it focuses in on a specific group/cell and in their case they burned down a tree farm and a dude's office at the university of washington because they thought both were involved in genetic modification research but actually it turned out neither were. also, the fire spread outside of the dude's office and burned down the whole building.. so yeah it was sort of comical and also enough to make them not do it again

*punches hippy, votes obama*

getfiscal posted:
*punches hippy, votes obama*

they also interview the cops. most of them are matter-of-fact law and order types. one has a monologue about how once he got to know the elf people, he understood them even if he didn't agree with them. there was one for whom it was clearly a domination trip, though. was just delighted when he told the story of bluffing his way into turning the informant, who then wore a wire and got confessions out of everyone else

but you shouldn't take it from me, you should watch it yourself! i think you would like it, getfiscal!
Its cool. It's always surprising how little cops are actually able to get without resorting to snitches.