[account deactivated]
The only real sectarian tensions between Shi'a and Sunni are from foreigners and the elite who perceive Iranian conspiracies behind the uprising. The actual population has demonstrated almost unanimous Sunni-Shi'a solidarity as far as I know.

You didn't mention the American naval base in Bahrain, which is very important to the Iraqi mission.

babyfinland posted:
You didn't mention the American naval base in Bahrain, which is very important to the Iraqi mission.

discipline posted:
the 5th fleet is stationed there.

Welp there u go

A cool thing about the uprising in Bahrain, like in Yemen, is the very strong presence of women.

For example: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h7L-kFaWnBPm0xsqq_EcPPeaPuXQ?docId=CNG.508d4f8e1d7a5d61d2eb3a01316ab8ed.1d1
Yemen Femen
Interview with a spokesperson from the Coalition of February 14th Youth: http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/4777/bahrains-revolutionaries-speak_an-exclusive-interv

The first and foremost goal that revolutionaries are struggling for is the liberation of our land from Saudi occupation and the overthrow of the Al-Khalifa regime, which has lost its popular and constitutional legitimacy. Once that is achieved, the people can choose their own destiny and choose the political and economic system that meets their ambitions and aspirations. We will not under any circumstance accept a compromise with this bloody regime that continues to violate our human rights. We are determined to liberate our precious homeland from dictatorship, and build a nation of justice, dignity, and equality for all its citizens.

The coalition’s objectives and demands, as they have been outlined in the Pearl Charter, are as follows:

Overthrowing the tribal Al-Khalifa regime, which has lost its legitimacy, and bringing its heads and officials to trial, including Hamad the dictator, for the crimes against humanity that they have committed against our people.

Ensuring the people's right to self-determination and ability to choose the political system that meets their ambitions and aspirations.

Dismantling the current state security agencies and rebuilding them along modern standards that ensure safety and security for all citizens.

Forming an independent and fair judiciary.

Reinforcing the principle of separation of powers (Legislative, Executive and Judiciary).

Maintaining national unity, preserving the social fabric, promoting justice and equality, and prohibiting any form of discrimination against citizens.

Finding a realistic and fair solution to the problem of systematic political naturalization that has been created by the regime to change the original identity and demographics of the country.

Preserving the Islamic and Arab identity of Bahrain.

Forming a national body to oversee the election of a Constituent Assembly that will write a new constitution for the country after the fall of the Al-Khalifa regime.

Ensuring the fair distribution of wealth while protecting national resources and gains for future generations.

From what I can tell the protestors will be as successful at overthrowing their government as those in Libya, Egypt, Yemen and eventually Syria, but there's one thing that could ruin everything.

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2012/04/07/bahrain-hosts-warplane-drills-with-us-arab-allies

MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) — Bahrain's military says the U.S. and eight other countries are taking part in the Gulf nation's largest air force exercises in more than two decades.

The official Bahrain News Agency says at least 100 warplanes will join the drills Sunday, which come amid heightened Western pressures on Iran over Tehran's nuclear program.

Bahrain also is home to the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet. Bahrain says the aerial maneuvers are its biggest since 1988 and include Arab allies, Turkey, Pakistan and the U.S.

Bahrain's Sunni monarchy is facing a nearly 14-month-old uprising by the kingdom's majority Shiites, who are seeking a greater political voice.

babyfinland posted:
The only real sectarian tensions between Shi'a and Sunni are from foreigners and the elite who perceive Iranian conspiracies behind the uprising. The actual population has demonstrated almost unanimous Sunni-Shi'a solidarity as far as I know.

The Iraqi Shiites and Sunnis fought against Iran during the Iraq-Iran war but that didn't stop them tearing each other apart during the recent conflict. If an attack on Iran turns into a regional war Bahrain looks like ground zero. The protestors should be focused on getting those militaries the hell away from their country and try to become that region's Switzerland.

By gum internationalist you've done it again!
why the f*ck do people try to make weirdo european analogies to countries. Bahrain should be the Gulf's Switzerland. Syria can become the Arab Denmark. Fart so hard my balls explode
Israel is West Asia's Great Britain.
[account deactivated]
it pains me to do it, and upvote an internationalist post, thereby changing his rep from 44, but his posting is just so impeccable that i'm compelled and unable to resist furiously mashing the upvote button when i see one of his posts

AmericanNazbro posted:
it pains me to do it, and upvote an internationalist post, thereby changing his rep from 44, but his posting is just so impeccable that i'm compelled and unable to resist furiously mashing the upvote button when i see one of his posts

Bahrain: The Tense Passive
Lol
REAL FOTAGE FROM BAHRAIN L@@K

discipline posted:
They sent in troops, many of them not even Arab, to shoot unarmed peaceful protestors.

does this impyl that that troops were foreign nationals?

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
do you think that's because the GCC's internal (presumably majority-arab) security forces are unwilling to use force on other arabs, so they need foreign mercenaries to do it?

discipline posted:
migration patterns & policies in the gulf are fascinating and really intense (my dissertation supervisor is one of the big names in this field) so if anyone is interested I might make another thread when I'm done with this paper

that would be cool

[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i guess what i'm wondering is what the significance of non-arab troops being used is as far as these uprisings go, since you mentioned it
[account deactivated]
gotcha, i was thinking you were mentioning it because of some immediate effect on the shape of the uprising given the context of bahrain's strong national identity which you outlined.
[account deactivated]

discipline posted:
I apologize if my brain leaks everywhere sometimes

same but adult diapers for sexual reasons.

-placeholder for image-

[account deactivated]
britain and japan should apply for membership

shennong posted:
do you think that's because the GCC's internal (presumably majority-arab) security forces are unwilling to use force on other arabs, so they need foreign mercenaries to do it?

thats adorable

discipline posted:
the only arabs I ever heard say nasty things about palestinians were khaleej.

clearly you didnt spend enough time in Jordan

babyfinland posted:

shennong posted:

thats adorable

maybe i am stupendously ignorant... or MAYBE i am chosing to see the latent rahma in the saudi armed forces for their fellow children of ishmael

shennong posted:

babyfinland posted:

shennong posted:

thats adorable

maybe i am stupendously ignorant... or MAYBE i am chosing to see the latent rahma in the saudi armed forces for their fellow children of ishmael

hehe

They sent in troops, many of them not even Arab, to shoot unarmed peaceful protestors.

who were the non arab troops? i'm curious about this

Ironicwarcriminal posted:

who were the non arab troops? i'm curious about this

read the thread

discipline posted:
yes, many police and other security services, including the GCC's peninsula shield force (دِرْعُ الجَزيرَة‎) that so famously helped to quash the uprising, in the gulf are not khaleeji or even arab, they are generally south asian

whoops, missed this. are they the equivalent of like, Gurkha batallions or are they mercenaries or are they just normal troops in the gulf countries militaries.

really weird i didn't know that at all but i guess the us military gives citizenship to like Nicaragua who join up or whatever

shennong posted:

Kind of like how the empathy of Western police for their fellow humans leads to them treating civilians with the utmost respect.

littlegreenpills posted:
britain and japan should apply for membership

speaking of which bf please return to the prince charles av

Fuck the metropolitan police
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/apr/18/bahrain-formula-one-yates-safety