ive read most of 1kp and not much of anti-oedipus..... :nyoron:
pudding before the meat i guess
well by all reports 1kp is the meat; anti-oedipus was somewhat obscurant fairly often, but fun to read and still made a certain amount of sense most of the time

mistersix posted:

aerdil posted:
not to say the idf doesn't have a thing for misreading d&g of course...

i dont even think they're misreading it. over and over again in plateau its emphasized that theres nothing magically inherently always good to thinking rhizome

i read this as 'thinking rhizzone.' german joey has defeated me again...

aerdil posted:
well by all reports 1kp is the meat; anti-oedipus was somewhat obscurant fairly often, but fun to read and still made a certain amount of sense most of the time

that's the problem. the philosopher of the future will make absolutely no sense,and i will applaud him/her

haha for my literary cities los angeles class i need to write one analytical essay and do one unspecified 'project' which can be a painting, sculpture, film, story, series of photographs, whatever. i am going to use the fuck out of cyclonopedia
[account deactivated]
all humanities majors are summer camps for young adults

discipline posted:
sounds like your degree program is a summer camp for young adults c/d

i study english literature yeah

i finished writing my mexican travelogue thing. im not going to post it but i use a bunch of deleuzian terminology to describe me drunkenly getting off with a girl in a club lol. im a wanker
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i can pm it to you i guess.... although its like 4000 words long (including wanky epigraph) and not very good. not now though im going to party to be dumb and hate myself. life owns. also, cyclonopedia
cyclonopedia exists, i think, and it's making my writing a lot more insane. a good thing
[account deactivated]
lol @ your kendrick lmar avatar animedad
[account deactivated]

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
lol @ your kendrick lmar avatar animedad

i think someone already had it lol. i plagiarize everything, Inauthentic As Fuck

kendrick lamar is great
yeah he is i just think the av is funny bc afaik animedad is a pratt student or something
what is pratt. i work on power lines in chicago, heh

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:
yeah he is i just think the av is funny bc afaik animedad is a pratt student or something

im a pratt student, drew.

animedad posted:

God Bless Your Proletarian Soul, Full of Light and Hope

animedad posted:

God Bless Your Proletarian Soul, Full of Light and Hope

-Posted from my Proletarian Slacker Office

wherein we can trade next day's meals for surf time. new phase of capitalism and so on
whenever the plumber comes to the house to fix the pipes i beg him not to kill me when the revolution comes
at work someone walked into the checkout room with headphones on and one of the fat white women clocking out said 'are you listening to rap?' and the guy was like, 'oh no, no, no, no, not rap, its uh,,' and it was actually the gorillaz. he's like 45. debout, les damnes de la terre,
I got in a really big argument yesterday on Facebook about how rap is better now than in the 90s and I had liek 20 peple pissed at me it was p awesome. What's up w/ people fetishizing the past?

stegosaurus posted:
the guy was like, 'oh no, no, no, no, not rap, its uh,,

its neh

been reading the opening chapter of cyclonopedia and listening to brian eno, i'm sure i'll have questions for the kind smart people here soon

jools posted:

Hey, brother.

due to the phrases such as "swarm of flies", "technology of modern warfare", and "decay", i feel compelled to post this in this thread. a short text on kafka by walter benjamin, as found in "illuminations", from a letter he wrote in 1938. i copied from an ocr pdf and there are probably errors i have not noticed. it especially seemed fond of turning "rn" into "m".

Kafka's work is an ellipse with foci that are far apart and are determined, on the one hand, by mystical experience (in particular, the experience of tradition) and, on the other, by the experience of the modern big-city dweller. In speaking of the experience of the big-city dweller, I have a variety of things in mind. On the one hand, I think of the modern citizen who knows that he is at the mercy of a vast machinery of officialdom whose functioning is directed by authorities that remain nebulous to the executive organs. let alone to the people they deal with. (It is known that one level of meaning in the novels, particularly in The Trial, is encompassed by this.) When I refer to the modern big-city dweller, I am speaking also of the contemporary of today's physicists. If one reads the following passage from Eddington's The Nature of the Physical World, one can virtually hear Kafka speak.

I am standing on the threshold about to enter a room. It is a complicated business. In the first place I must shove against an atmosphere pressing with a force of fourteen pounds on every square inch of my body. I must make sure of landing on a plank travelling at twenty miles a second round the sun--a fraction of a second too early or too late, the plank would be miles away. I must do this whilst hanging from a round planet head outward into space, and with a wind of aether blowing at no one knows how many miles a second through every interstice of my body. The plank has no solidity of substance. To step on it is like stepping on a swarm of flies. Shall I not slip through? No, if I make the venture one of the flies hits me and gives a boost up again; I fall again and am knocked upwards by another fly; and so on. I may hope that the net result will be that I remain about steady; but if unfortunately I should slip through the floor or be boosted too violently up to the ceiling, the occurrence would be, not a violation of the laws of Nature, but a rare coincidence….
Verily, it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a scientific man to pass through a door. And whether the door be barn door or church door it might be wiser that he should consent to be an ordinary man and walk in rather than wait till all the difficulties involved in a really scientific ingress are resolved.

In all of literature I know no passage which has the Kafka stamp to the same extent. Without any effort one could match almost every passage of this physical perplexity with sentences from Kafka's prose pieces, and there is much to indicate that in so doing many of the most "incomprehensible" passages would be accommodated. Therefore, if one says--as I have just said--that there was a tremendous tension between those of Kafka's experiences that correspond to present-day physics and his mystical ones, only a half-truth is stated. What is actually and in a very literal sense wildly incredible in Kafka is that this most recent world of experience was conveyed to him precisely by this mystical tradition. This, of course, could not have happened without devastating processes (to be discussed presently) within this tradition. The long and the short of it is that apparently an appeal had to be made to the forces of this tradition if an individual (by the name of Franz Kafka) was to be confronted with that reality of ours which realizes itself theoretically, for example, in modern physics, and practically in the technology of modem warfare. What I mean to say is that this reality can virtually no longer be experienced by an individual, and that Kafka's world, frequently of such playfulness and interlaced with angels, is the exact complement of his era which is preparing to do away with the inhabitants of this planet on a considerable scale. The experience which corresponds to that of Kafka, the private individual, will probably not become accessible to the masses until such time as they are being done away with.
Kafka lives in a complementary world. (In this he is closely related to Klee, whose work in painting is just as essentially solitary as Kafka's work is in literature.) Kafka offered the complement without being aware of what surrounded him. If one says that he perceived what was to come without perceiving what exists in the present, one should add that he perceived it essentially as an individual affected by it. His gestures of terror are given scope by the marvelous margin which the catastrophe will not grant us. But his experience was based solely on the tradition to which Kafka surrendered; there was no far-sightedness or "prophetic vision." Kafka listened to tradition, and he who listens hard does not see.
The main reason why this listening demands such effort is that only the most indistinct sounds reach the listener. There is no doctrine that one could absorb, no knowledge that one could preserve. The things that want to be caught as they rush by are not meant for anyone's ears. This implies a state of affairs which negatively characterizes Kafka's works with great precision. (Here a negative characterization probably is altogether more fruitful than a positive one.) Kafka's work presents a sickness of tradition. Wisdom has sometimes been defined as the epic side of truth. Such a definition stamps wisdom as inherent in tradition; it is truth in its haggadic consistency.
It is this consistency of truth that has been lost. Kafka was far from being the first to face this situation. Many had accommodated themselves to it, clinging to truth or whatever they happened to regard as truth and, with a more or less heavy heart, forgoing its transmissibility. Kafka's real genius was that he tried something entirely new: he sacrificed truth for the sake of clinging to its transmissibility, its haggadic element. Kafka's writings are by their nature parables. But it is their misery and their beauty that they had to become more than parables. They do not modestly lie at the feet of the doctrine, as the Haggadah lies at the feet of the Halakah. Though apparently reduced to submission, they unexpectedly raise a mighty paw against it.
This is why, in regard to Kafka, we can no longer speak of wisdom. Only the products of its decay remain. There are two: one is the rumor about the true things (a sort of theological whispered intelligence dealing with matters discredited and obsolete); the other product of this diathesis is folly-which, to be sure, has utterly squandered the substance of wisdom, but preserves its attractiveness and assurance, which rumor invariably lacks. Folly lies at the heart of Kafka's favorites--from Don Quixote via the assistants to the animals. (Being an animal presumably meant to him only to have given up human form and human wisdom from a kind of shame--as shame may keep a gentleman who finds himself in a disreputable tavern from wiping his glass clean.) This much Kafka was absolutely sure of: first, that someone must be a fool if he is to help; second, that only a fool's help is real help. The on1y uncertain thing is whether such help can still do a human being any good. It is more likely to help the angels (compare the passage about the angels who get something to do) who could do without help. Thus, as Kafka puts it, there is an infinite amount of hope, but not for us. This statement really contains Kafka's hope; it is the source of his radiant serenity.
I transmit to you this somewhat dangerously compressed image--in the manner of perspective reduction--with all the more ease as you may sharpen it by means of the views I have developed from different aspects in my Kafka essay in the Jüdische Rundschau. My main criticism of that study today is its apologetic character. To do justice to the figure of Kafka in its purity and its peculiar beauty one must never lose sight of one thing:
it is the purity and beauty of a failure. The circumstances of this failure are manifold. One is tempted to say: once he was certain of eventual failure, everything worked out for him en route as in a dream. There is nothing more memorable than the fervor with which Kafka emphasized his failure.

in before tpaines kefka reference
[account deactivated]
Hunger games reference

dipshit420 was probated until (April 13, 2012 10:07:17) for this post!

any schedule for Exhumations? im writing some notes for myself this time around but im afraid they might be less coherent than the book itself

blinkandwheeze posted:

Superabound posted:

look i think you're approaching this in completely the wrong way, you can't speculate on the logic of lovecraft's universe because it openly and ardently defies any logic of any fashion. and that means finding anything that could be potentially analogous in our own conceptions of reality - whether that's computer software, conceptual models of concurrent universes, or a kind of zoo, whatever. nyarlathotep isn't a user interface, because we can't even begin to understand what role nyarlathotep plays in any wider scheme of things, because there is nothing there that is perceivable to us in any way

Nyarlathotep is pretty singularly notable for taking a pleasing, charming, innately human form in order to facilitate his interactions with humanity

and you're making a mistake by suggesting that these forces that are so unknowable and alien are removed from us, that's wrong. i'm not denying that things tellurian are only a glimpse of the vast unknowable cosmic abyss of lovecraft's mythos, but there is nothing human or euclidian about r'yleh. there are no lower-order or higher-order universes, there are no spaces of exclusion where the outer gods or old ones are not active, there is no hierarchy or absence, it's an unending and unimaginable mass of processes we can't even catch a sight of. the reason these forces so beyond us are so active in human affairs is because they are active in every affair. it's a farce that human thought is anything immanent or unknowable, it's limited and pathetic

the "universes" arent one on top of the other anymore than the third dimension is "on top" of the second and first dimensions. Theyre simply additional vectors of orientatability. A phenomenal object rotated out of higher-order supersymmetry might easily appear terrifyingly alien to human senses, or carry forces and material connections that arent even observable, like being made of previously unknown "colors". Or for example a being like Yog-Sothoth appears to the human senses to consist as a conglomeration of floating, disconnected, iridescent spheres, but in the higher-dimensional reality in which it exists, it could be entirely contiguous, the disconnected spheres simply where it pushes through and "intrudes" into our lower 3 dimensions, completely analogous to the Flatland example of a 3-dimensional hand passing through a 2-dimensional plane

but again, these dimensions are not on top of each other, they are all aspects of the same global reality. I guess a better way of looking at it would be nested matryoshka dolls, but even that isnt accurate because dimensions are not locations. The designations of "higher" and "lower" arent descriptions of Where, but of fullness of comprehension (both definitions)

Superabound was probated until (April 16, 2012 09:16:16) for this post!

no more lovecraftchat please thank you, i told you that already. its really boring.