How is this going to work? Are we going section by section because if remember rightly the chapters cover a lot of ground?

I've made some basic overview notes from Palaeopetrology this morning before work in the hope that this might get a discussion going, I've just copied the whole lot down here. Please add to, or contradict any of this.

Cross of Akht, oil as a broken star, a corrupt sun:
1 non-solar economy as a blasphemy against the sun. (A re-configuration and surface inversion of Bataille's Sun and also reference to Land's Accelerationism)
2 Gog/Magog axis as machine of war which is distinct from the DG war machine
3 this machine is directed by / lubricated by oil (Oil as narrative lube is also a feature of the Hyperstition lab, oi/cyclonopedia itself is a narrative lube moving a number of existing concepts)
4 The agency of oil, (Harman and Lovecraft)
5 monotheism moves toward desertification as space for god, capitalism moves toward desertification (in an attempt to eradicate war-machines?)
6 Introduction of burrowing snake / worm motif. Tellurian Dynamics. Terror cells, (the only international terrorists now are driven by religion? Contrast to the movements of the 1970s, the PFLP etc which were driven out by support from other agencies for the religious groups which where seen as more open to dialogue)
7 oil as means for Islamic war machine infiltration, yet these war-machines are themselves infiltrated
8 "the double-dealer - the intermediate Mithra who betrays both sides in favour of an obscure mission"
9 Introduction of cyclone/ feedback motif, trisons? (hyper-chaos, vortex in Deleuze, no central authority but self organising and comprising multiple dynamics parts each affecting all others, can form a complex endurance, in this case war.)

Notes: I think the numerology is more of a stylistic trope than anything, bringing it back to Lovecraft. It is also another method of abstraction though, as is hinted at by the notes from Hyperstition lab, in that it is perhaps simply a means of thinking about the Virtual? The use of numerology is more to function like an illustration.

I seem to have killed this thread...
yeah, sorry, i'm the only other person who has been writing anything and i've been a little busy lately (really i'd love for someone else to jump in and post their notes so far but i'm not complaining)

fwiw i think your notes are accurate! thanks for contributing

Makeshift_Swahili posted:
i really enjoyed footnote 4 about inorganic demons, possibly because it was using examples from movies so my lil baby brain can handle it

i've mentioned carpenter before in relation to cyclonopedia, i'd like to elaborate on that - the thing is an obvious touchstone but i'm going to draw attention to two lesser known (and criminally underheralded) films - prince of darkness and in the mouth of madness. the latter's mark on cyclonopedia is explicitly acknowledged by someone, at least, as it makes up the bulk of footage featured in the brief history of geotrauma video which i believe was originally presented at the cyclonopedia symposia, so i don't think the congruity of these two voices is simply down to their deification of lovecraft

cyclonopedia elaborates the thematic concerns of prnce of darkness fantastically. plutonium, rather than petroleum, is imagined in the film as an autonomous entity, the realization of an ancient dead god long buried in the sands of the middle east, exerting a subterranean influence over man, coalescing swarms for the realization of the eschaton (it's not difficult to see where reza gets his ideas, haha). again, it's plutonium rather than petroleum, the catholic church rather than islam, but absolutely on the same wavelength

in the mouth of madness makes sense of reza's continuous self-mythologizing, a quintessential demonstration of hyperstition. the film deals with a horror novelist, vanishing from the world to house himself in a black church, by the process of hyperstition (the realization of fictional quantities) becoming the arbiter of reality itself, penultimately (and literally) tearing himself out of the universe, his absence burrowing a hole for the emergence of the Old Ones, the most effective demonstration of the ( )hole complex as i think you could find

watch these movies guys, they're fantastic, probably even more valuable than reading lovecraft in understanding this book

bonus: here's some things me & babyfinaldn were saying on our userpages, just so it doesn't get lost there

babyfinland posted:
i havent had time to read cyclonopedia yet, but ive read it several times already so i can follow discussion and stuff. its finals week so ill have time soon. im eager to read it again because islam is set in a different place for me than it was when i was reading the book before.

blinkandwheeze posted:
i'm really interested in how reza relates to islam. to me like, cyclonopedia works at this zero point where he's just introducing a glossary or whatever, rather than tying it to a specific ideology. so i think you could be a marxist, or a shia muslim, and take cyclonopedia as a fundamental text in that personal ideology

babyfinland posted:
thats how i see it too. i dont think hes very religious if he is at all,and theres nothing especially islamic about his ideas about islam in cyclonopedia, but theyre fun. but again theres really nothing very islamic about it imo

blinkandwheeze posted:
sure i don't think it's particularly islamic, but he talks about islam and doesn't talk about marx, if you get what i mean

babyfinland posted:
i think im going to keep an eye out for my little pet thing with modernity which i developed in that front page essay i wrote, abstract universal categories and whatnot, and see if negarestani is complicit in "false universals" or not. he had a nice post on hsi blog recently about true-to-the-universe univerals so he's on the same wave length i think. that ninja always snatching my ideas b

babyfinland posted:
alhamdulillah, marx would have ruined the book

blinkandwheeze posted:
i liked your post about modernity a lot, i need to read it again sometime to take it all in. i think marx would have ruined that book but imagine an alternate cyclonopedia set in south america with yayo instead of petroleum and populated with marxist guerrillas and narcostates

babyfinland posted:
thatd be cool. i bet he'd be able to work in some sort of biochemical thing about cocaine as a stimulant for tellurian nervous system or something heh

to clarify i think that carpenter is more relevant than lovecraft because carpenter is just lovecraft filtered thru grotesque pseudoscientific cult horror schlock, which is a significant part of reza's aesthetic imo. they're great movies tho, there's this scene in prince of darkness where this dude is like "there's something i'm going to tell you, and you're not going to like it ... pray for death" and then his body disassembles into a swarm of bugs
[account deactivated]
ok maybe t-paine's ownage & my fatal seizure on the previous page are hurdles too strong to pass but this really isn't going to work if me & FrancoNero over there are the only people posting anything about the book ... i mean, we've all finished chapter one, right? (right???) can i at least get some general impressions or updates on where yall are at?
one thing ive noticed in my dull reading is how he turns scientific observations into meaningful mythology (for lack of a better way to describe.) it's cool cuz this is kinda what scientists already *do* but it's not considered essential but more of a personal affectation... what i mean is he'll start talking about how the thermodynamics of the sun influences the earth's magnetic field and such and he'll say how certain aspects of it (that seem arbitrary to me, on account of my lack of understanding) are blasphemy or hell or insurgencies or whatnot. this is pretty constant throughout and im trying to make sense of it
yeah its really authentically cosmic hermeneutics is one of my favorite things about the book
I think you're right blinkandwheeze, film interpretations and deviations are much closer to Cyclonopedia than Lovecraft is (Obviously The Blob is referred to explicitly too and the Inorganic demon is a concept used in a lot films as a rather conservative metaphor for greed).

Mouth of Madness is pretty much the model for Cyclonopedia. It's been a few years I've seen that film but I remember it teetering on the edge of pastiche without ever really falling in. Compared to Cast a Deadly Spell from a few years before, which seemed to try to be a Lovecraftian Long Goodbye but completely misunderstood the type of horror being dealt with.

The power in Lovecraft's best work is in terms of the conspiracy, of realising the corruption is so wide (and with that the Sublime awareness of the breadth of the field which finds itself corrupt, I think a lot of the fear in Call of the Cthulhu is bound up in the international scope of the book), or that one is complicit in this corruption (as in film noir). In that sense some of the best Lovecraft derivatives are films like The Conversation, not least because in dealing so much with sound it avoids the release of a visual depiction of something.

I think the best attempt at rendering Lovecraft's work in film is not ITMOM but Peter Weir's film The Last Wave. For what it's worth, I wrote something about this film and Deleuze toward the end of last year here.

I've been really sidetracked with a college application for the last week but that's been submitted now so I'm going to move onto the next sections of Cylonopedia this week and do another short basic notes post, to help keep the developments in my head if anything.
additionally, an important part of lovecraft's work that has a particular resonance in cyclonopedia but not so much in lovecraft's many other students is the orientalism that is really fundamental to his work, the reverent exoticism with which he treats the geography and history of the near east. and negarestani navigates that really interestingly, as land says in his removed introduction, which is with the provocation of his "complete indifference to the Orientalist role, with its appeal to deferential political correctness or any other morbid spiritual masochism of distinctively Christian cast. He entirely, and with the utmost casualness, disdains the platform of 'the Other'. His 'otherness' - while allowing partial and complex identifications - is not a marker of identity politics, less still a token of victimological credibility, nor even a sustainable category. It is an otherness situated beyond the threshold of a gate – of multiple gates – opened by meticulously selected words from a wide variety of sources and tongues, invoked by a dark cacophony of terrible and incoherent names. Even to speak of it – of them – in such terms, in such a context, is to cling to a position framed by an already devastated project of domestication, for purposes that are strictly pedagogical and evanescent. Better by far – or worse beyond imagination – to have already forgotten 'the Other' and be shifted into the dazzling rigorous obscurities of the Thing, the Blob, the Z-crowd, Mistmare, GAS, Anonymous-until-Now with its disease-drenched tails and Druj, Mother of Abominations." consider also china mieville's concept of 'lumpen orientalism', which kristen alvanson (the artist behind cyclonopedia's fantastic cover, and also i believe the lady described in the introduction, which i also suspect she authored) borrowed as the title for her long running but sadly dormant photo blog, which investigates the same sites so revered by lovecraft and negarestani alike

LUMPEN ORIENTALISM GATHERS THE FRAGMENTS OF A LOST CIVILIZATION, THE DECAYING PARTS OF A BREATHING ANIMAL _ THE MIDDLE EAST. NAMED AFTER A TERM SUGGESTED BY CHINA MIÉVILLE, LUMPEN ORIENTALISM CAPTURES AN ANOMALOUS FASCINATION WITH THE MIDDLE EAST AND ASIA IN A SIMILAR WAY TO THE MONGREL VISIONS OF GILLES DELEUZE, H. P. LOVECRAFT, GAËTAN CLÉRAMBAULT AND WILLIAM BECKFORD IN ORDER TO TACKLE THIS ENIGMATIC MONSTROSITY.

speaking of land's introduction, i was thinking about his contention that islam is to negarestani as marx is to bataille when i was reading a neo-situationist's embarrassing denunciation of bataille as an "accursed stalinist" - in the same way, it's tempting to think of reza as an accursed muslim, but of course this is dishonest, if not totally false

that's a really very nice blog FrancoNero, i will definitely check out that peter weir film when i have the chance. i've been thinking about how what are becoming some of my main interests - the pacific and the near east (the former out of spatial locality, the latter out of 'fucking a coloured' intellectualism, haha) are among lovecraft's primary fascinations

here is a stream of ITMOM for those involved in this reading that would like to see it, i really can't stress the relevance it has to the book enough. i agree that it flirts with pastiche without falling in, it's really a pretty bizarre film, despite the enormous debt it owes to lovecraft it operates on its own logic

animedad posted:
one thing ive noticed in my dull reading is how he turns scientific observations into meaningful mythology (for lack of a better way to describe.) it's cool cuz this is kinda what scientists already *do* but it's not considered essential but more of a personal affectation... what i mean is he'll start talking about how the thermodynamics of the sun influences the earth's magnetic field and such and he'll say how certain aspects of it (that seem arbitrary to me, on account of my lack of understanding) are blasphemy or hell or insurgencies or whatnot. this is pretty constant throughout and im trying to make sense of it

yea, this is a good and important observation. for me, i understand very little about science, so when he mentions the concepts for me it's similar to his references to numerology or islam, in that it's abstracted and more apart of the aesthetic world of the book. i think, also, that despite the high-mindedness of the prose, cyclonopedia is a markedly pulpy construction. reza's cultural touchstones are weird fiction short stories, forgotten vhs horror films, play station survival horror games (this last one i am not particularly familiar with, i don't know much about video games, i'd love it if someone, g. joey perhaps, could talk about that in relation to text). so to a degree i think reza assumes that aesthetic pretty frequently, when he talks about science it reminds me of an eccentric quantum physicist character in a horror film or scary video game explaining why dead people have started living again.

franconero blink&wheeze we run these streets

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

more lumpen orientalism

I'm trying to sell Hoodrich on reading this to troll him epically
the more the merrier, weird wddp guy
funny that i would find this place by searching for an online copy (and apparently, the one one) of Cyclonopedia

long time no see nerds
hello and welcome to you who have come to rhiZzone
why do ppl think im wddp im original lf

mudcrabs posted:
why do ppl think im wddp im original lf

i think people associate no av posters with wddp because they tend to come in here and register a bunch of accounts without picking avs

babyfinland posted:
i think people associate no av posters with wddp because they tend to come in here and register a bunch of accounts without picking avs

lol wow ok bro... gbs is THAT way

EmanuelaOrlandi posted:

babyfinland posted:

lol wow ok bro... gbs is THAT way

i cant see which way youre pointing to. id like to go to gbs but i dont know where it is.

i didnt care about this until yall mentioned john carpenter, time 2 read

cleanhands posted:
i didnt care about this until yall mentioned john carpenter, time 2 read

it's carpenter as fuck, might as well be full of slowly evolving synth chords and reverberated snares. watch the two films i mentioned upthread if you havent already!

i had an idea once to write a pulp fiction novel about a guy who goes into the future and finds himself in a culture informed entirely by john carpenters ghosts of mars, but didnt follow through bc it seemed like a really stupid idea an idiot would have

cleanhands posted:
i had an idea once to write a pulp fiction novel about a guy who goes into the future and finds himself in a culture informed entirely by john carpenters ghosts of mars, but didnt follow through bc it seemed like a really stupid idea an idiot would have

its all in the execution

babyfinland posted:

cleanhands posted:

its all in the execution

well also i know im a bad writer and i dont want to become the next john christ

cleanhands posted:

A thought can be interesting without having commercial appeal.

eternal_virtue posted:

cleanhands posted:

A thought can be interesting without having commercial appeal.

i think the only way to make that sort of thing interesting would be if it was like a series, and i just picked b movies i liked and wrote short stories about them that delved into the themes (carpenters endless hordes of malevolent dehumanised anthropods, the fear of the Other and the hopelessness of false consciousness in the death wish movies, etc) that also worked to advance the idea that watching western mass market crap is more useful for understanding our stupid society than the inappropriate focus on 'universal truths through marginal perspectives' modernism that you find expressed in 'serious' film criticism, as well as trying to persuade the reader to watch these movies because they really are a lot of fun

but to do that id need to do a lot more reading into said themes because i dont know enough about history or culture to do any of it real justice

cleanhands posted:

babyfinland posted:

cleanhands posted:

its all in the execution

well also i know im a bad writer and i dont want to become the next john christ

good lad.

cyclonopedia & protracted people's war
while following this book, or the conversation so far, a question may be beginning to appear in your darling heads - "well, blinkandwheeze, this is all very well and good. but how, if at all, does this pertain to the immortal science and shining path of marxism-leninism-mao tse tung thought?"

good and important question, comrades! but not an easy one to answer. i'll be circling it, i'm not very smart, so it will be unloading junk that i store in my brain. consider this a supplement to my previous post, if that was a how, this is a who, or maybe even a why. first, peter hallward marxplaining mister alain badiou:

The distinction of subject and object is thus nearly as absolute in Badiou's early work as in his later. In the early work, this distinction obtains above all in the (still dialectical) movement from the working class (as object) to the proletariat (as subject): the former is a function of "structural" relations and rivalries of place; the latter is the agent of unending "historical" displacement and struggle. Insofar as they are conditioned by their well-defined social and economic place, the working class are the mere object of history, not its subject or motor. As a class in the ordinary sociological sense, the workers lack any political "consistency"; they are confined within the specific "algebra" of place, within the inert isolation of the "object". As a unionized class the workers become capable of action, but of action confined to the cautious, subservient pursuit of an equilibrium within the existing structural arrangement of places. The workers become subject only when, guided by the party, they explode this arrangement. The subjective, or historical, "topology" of partisan antagonism explodes the static algebra of class. "In the proletariat, the working class has disappeared," writes Badiou. "Realized as vanishing cause, it consists in the party, whose existence has no other purpose than to suppress that which enabled this causality". Whereas every object stays in its place, every subject violates its place, "inasmuch as its essential virtue is to be disoriented. Subjectivation operates in the element of force whereby place ... finds itself altered". Before they erupt as masses, workers are classed as objects; subjectivation operates is then what purges class of its structural inertia. Mao's proletariat, the singular subject of history, "exists in purifying itself ". The proletariat is not that class which seeks an improvement of its place and, still less, that aims to usurp the place of the bourgeoisie; it is that force beyond class whose coming into existence destroys the very concept of place in general. The proletariat is the unique historical subject that overcomes and destroys its objective basis.

additionally, i keep thinking back to nick land's grotesquely reductive, violent, comic yet still suggestive thesis that islam is to negarestani what marxism is to bataille. but really, what is marxism to bataille? let's look at a slight abnormality, our friend writing in a very overtly political context, his popular front in the street -

We ask all those who, along with us, mean to pursue an action parallel to the one we see open before us how they wish to see the dictatorship of the working masses, how, first of all, they hope to realize the transformation of the defensive Popular Front into a Popular Front of combat.
As for us, we want to pose the question in a precise way. It seems to me personally that the only way to pose the question is the following: it is not really a question of knowing first of all what must be done, but what result must be envisioned. We know that the question of the takeover of power is now being posed. We know that, in all likelihood, the democratic regime, which struggles amidst mortal contradictions, cannot be saved.
The succession is open. We have many reasons to think that the Croix de Feu provide no response to the necessities resulting from the current situation- neither in their social content, the tenor of their program, nor in the personality of their chief. Their effective value seems to us in this respect to be situated far below that of the Italian Fascists or the German National Socialists.
The Popular Front in its present form is not, nor does it present itself, as an organized force within sight of taking power. It must thus be transformed, according to the plan of the socialist revolutionary Left, into a Popular Front of combat.
As for us, we say that this presupposes a renewal of political forms, a renewal possible in the present circumstances, when it seems that all revolutionary forces are called upon to fuse in an incandescent crucible. We are assured that insurrection is impossible for our adversaries. We believe that of the two hostile forces that will engage in the struggle for power, the fascists and the people, the force that gets the upper hand will be the one that shows itself most capable of dominating events and imposing an implacable power on its adversaries. What we demand is a coherent, disciplined organization, its entire will straining with enthusiasm toward popular power; this is the sense of responsibility that must devolve on those who tomorrow must be the masters, who must subordinate the system of production to human interests, who must impose silence, in their own country and at the same time throughout the world, on the nationalists' criminal and puerile passions.

the discipline, against puerile passions, becomes a foundation of a subjectivation towards negativity, the selfdestructive subject of an early badiou's mao. a negativity so often rejected in favor of the philosophy of life, life worship, whether in bataille himself, or bankrupt humanism, grossly romantic situationism, the deleuze-guattari virus, the multitude of negri & hardt. a negativity benjamin noys nobly, but desperately, attempts to reclaim - take a moment to read his poverty of vitalism. but in particular, look at a quotation from antonia birnbaum, a dismissal of what is essential in marx, this understanding of the revolutionary subject: 'the proletarian is nothing; it is this nothing contracted into the fury of negation'.

but how does this work? how does the living object, the working class, contract itself completely into a force of negation? how does this, escaping from the trap of vitalism, occur without, as noys draws attention to, an adolescent nihilism, a negation of 'reproductive futurism'? (noys also dismisses voluntary suicide, but isn't this what we expect of our revolutionary subject, the vanishing proletariat?)

so, let's look at cyclonopedia:

The inability to remember is usually associated with the paralytic symptoms of memory holes; in this case, the subject is not able to access the memory. If memory holes cause such accessibility problems for the subject, it is because they have been specifically designed for being accessed from the other side. In this sense, memory holes are accessible not for the subject and its integrated self but for that which is exterior to the subject and has no self (no one). If remembering is unrealistic and futile in terms of memory holes, then inversely memory holes are gates and access points; they conduct remembering and other modes of access towards a memory which belongs to the outside.

If memory holes are channels for trafficking data an retrieval from the other side, then each human or subjective attempt to recall involves an invocation of, or a stepping into the memories of, an outsider. Memory gaps, with their Space-Time lapses, function as a ( )hole complex through which nether entities seep through, rush toward our world; memory gaps are the instruments of their homecoming.

when the part-of-no-part reduces itself to nothingness, negarestani's no one, every event can be realized as an attack on bourgeois thought narratives, burrowing holes in bourgeois psychic domination. the negative event, the bourgeois memory hole, a zone of emergence.

back to bataille -

After February 16.
500,000 workers, defied by little cockroaches, invaded the streets and caused an immense uproar.
Comrades, who has the right to lay down the law?
This ALL-POWERFUL multitude, thus HUMAN OCEAN
Only this ocean of men in revolt can save the world from the nightmare of
impotence and carnage in which it sinks!

like a lovecraftian mass heralding the return of the Old Ones, a total sacrifice, a reduction to nothingness.

finally, cyclonopedia again:

They excavate tunnels in earth and lay their eggs within its pores; the larvae burrow through the earth's skin, migrating in the connective tissues, crust and strata, feeding on necrotic solids and surfaces. Burrowing sounds may be heard within the earth. Once they have finished infesting the earth's solid part, the larvae will cut breathing holes and press their headless tails against the surface for air. The larvae will continue to grow while boring out spinal cavities for the earth's body which will never be filled. As the larvae grow, they will enlarge the holes and come out of the ground.

maybe one day we will press our headless tails to the surface for air, maybe one day we can live, but for now, grab your miners hats with lights on them, so you can see in the dark, you're going digging

STOP WORSHIPING LIFE

Edited by discipline ()

oops double post!! but let me take this opportunity to say read this book with me please. Good Luck Iran.

Edited by blinkandwheeze ()

[account deactivated]
wow! thats such a cool story!! thank you for sharing!!! four dimensions!!!

plz let this thread be designated middle east spacechat thank you, or else it may whither and die, with its blood on yuor hands
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
discipline we should get tea next time im in london
[account deactivated]
anyone know where i can get hollow land? aaarg one is out

Prospero posted:
anyone know where i can get hollow land? aaarg one is out

here you go friend!!!

thank youuuuu

FrancoNero posted:
films like The Conversation

oh man i love that movie. so much hinging on the subtle inflection of a single word

i think a lot of the Lovecraft shit youre talking about relies on the idea that "reality isnt real", a fundamental truth which sits like a pea under mattress of the human mind and has been the genesis of creation for everything ranging from religion, to conspiracy theories, to quantum theory. Its something every human being instinctively knows to a certain degree, but most simply cant face or acknowledge head on. Its Lovecraft's treatment of all of human existence and civilization as nothing more than a thin scab over a giant unseen festering wound