Watching King of the Hill, with my Luanne Platter body pillow.
i watched A Rustling of The Leaves: Inside The Phillippine Revolution, a documentary from 1988. the access the documentarian got to their subjects is nearly unparalleled, and the resulting footage is wild. two thumbs up from me.

also, it's available for free online

https://archive.org/details/a-rustling-of-leaves-inside-the-philippine-revolution-1988-1080p-aac
i watched Walker, which is probably the most anti american film that a hollywood film studio ever funded. especially good is the part where, having just decided to institute slavery in Nicaragua, another character calls william walker an aristocrat, and he angrily shouts, "i'm not an aristocrat, i'm a social democrat!"
lawrence olivier do hamlet
we watched Matango. pretty good.
i like matango too. ishiro honda was cool
agree but i would also credit Matango’s best aspects to Takeshi Kimura. Don’t get me wrong, Honda did a lot of things right shooting that one and it has some of the best performances in the entire history of its combined cast, faces I’ve seen over and over since I was a little kid, but the most important things Honda did running Matango as a project were (1) to stay behind Kimura’s screenplay 100% against impending social censure within Japan, and (2) to explain to the actors that this was a deadly serious drama, regardless of the purposely garish tokusatsu elements, and tell them he expected them to play it that way. And that second one is the part that usually even Honda did not impress on actors about Kimura’s scripts when it applied, because it was more commercially viable to treat all of them as potentially cartoonish and silly, whether they were clock-punching jobs about King Kong fighting a robot King Kong under license from Rankin/Bass or some project where Kimura actually cared to try.

When it comes to the qualities that truly set Matango apart from similar movies, like… this is maybe the least predictable character plot i’ve ever seen in all of 60s-era tokusatsu cinema, even when you know the screenplay was written by a Communist and the social and economic class of each character seems unmistakable… that’s all Kimura imo.
I also should not slander the principled third-worldist position of Madame Piranha from King Kong Escapes, forgive me.
i didn't know that the writer was a communist, that is particularly cool.

lo posted:

i didn't know that the writer was a communist, that is particularly cool.

yeah Takeshi Kimura vs. Shinichi Sekizawa is the Duality of Man. When Toho’s monster movies of the era have an overt social message, Rodan about miners’ working conditions, Godzilla vs. Hedorah about pollution, etc., and Honda himself isn’t credited as one of the writers, Kimura almost always is.

Though I want to give Sekizawa due credit for Mothra, which is not only one of Toho’s most overtly anti-capitalist movies but also one of its best, and he’s credited as the sole screenwriter. That really needed his touch too because it’s a very kid-friendly movie and Sekizawa was usually the right person for that kind of project. Otherwise though he was just really into writing goofy tokusatsu movies, while Kimura could adopt a critical perspective, specifically that by all accounts he hated writing those scripts, which was his job for most of his life.
nato propaganda

i had never heard william hinton talk before and i wasn't really expecting him to sound like he does. but cool talk
matango rules

Chthonic_Goat_666 posted:

matango rules

hey man how are you doing. it does!