normal stuff from most English-language Twitter about Ukraine/Russia, in that most people don’t give a shit about it at all. But among the left-liberals who do, there is absolutely a shift on the part of your average left-liberal towards mask-off, unabashed genocidal sentiment toward Russian civilians. Very recently, that sort of talk was scrupulously avoided in public conversation among this group. Those wishing widespread death on “enemy” civilians in colorful ways were either uneasily tolerated as loudmouth posturers or sheepishly lectured by their peers.

All of that is gone now. These same people respond to every news item the same way: they want as many Russians killed as possible, no matter their political stance, their position on the current Russian leadership or where they live in the world. They want every Russian to die.
hardcore cultivation of the “strong man” brand of slavophobia, the years of official xenophobic conspiracy theorizing, etc. are all paying dividends. Just 24 hours later the same left-liberals are openly mocking the ANTI-government demonstrators in Russia, saying they’re selfish brats who aren’t doing enough because they’re still alive, Russia hasn’t collapsed into bloody civil war, and so on. This is a pretty clear set-up for Navalny or the next Navalny, whichever fash figure is picked by Washington for the conversion of current unrest into the next try at an an armed Western-funded coup, to step in as a messianic figure in the Western press, as CIAnonymous “senior officials” explain that clearly the Russians can’t think for themselves, so any thinking, Heiling Hitler, etc., Our Man In Russia does for them is absolutely necessary.
someone posted something from that Trot group trying to capture DSA and I had my first close look at Trots on Twitter. And I should have seen this coming, but easily the funniest development among Trots is how they still pick up that awkward propaganda doctrine from each other where they talk in mangled slang from 5-10 years ago to try and sound like they’re in touch with the masses, but nowadays that means they’re all on Twitter trying to reply to ANARCHO JEW SMASHER like “goth gf energy tho, but what’s really uwu soyjack is the Fourth International”
the good news its that elon musk liquidating twitter for petty revenge while never personally suffering physical deprivation for an instant, is going to pump tHE r H i z z o n E full of flavor
once twitter has been obliterated all the rhizzoners who went there are going to return for a HUGE forum posting :prayer:
the word is that getfiscal has already signed with quora dot com
it seems to me that the Emerald Merchant's Son has confused buying the stable with buying the horses
I would never confuse buying the stable with buying the horses.
my next correct prediction for the twitter stuff is. ok. all these people read an email from the CEO that said "hey, if you don't want to be my pet, just refrain from saying "i want to be your pet" and i will give you three months' severance." and they all said, haha, well obviously i will take the three months, and they already believe they will get the three months' wages. so i predict, no, they will have to try and sue for their money. and i know this post isnt funny now but it will be when i'm right.

swampman posted:

the good news its that elon musk liquidating twitter for petty revenge while never personally suffering physical deprivation for an instant, is going to pump tHE r H i z z o n E full of flavor

Greeting's

hi realsubtle
spending 44 billion dollars to own my haters

tears posted:

spending 44 billion dollars to own my haters

Doing this and it not even working. Doing this and it pie-splatter rake-smack cigar-explodes in my fucking face bugsbunny style.

good schadenfreude these days! yum, yum :d
under the new Twitter regime, former superstar tHE r H i z z o n E tpaine has been targeted by some sort of super-shadowban where even followers cannot see his posts unless they go directly to his page. A supine acknowledgment of his posting power and its overwhelming effects.
the writing is really on the wall for twitter, this week. i know some people with kardashians shaking their heads for avatars will probably disagree with me, but this is bad for leftist tendencies, generally, and marxist-leninists, specifically. the hellbird that laid a thousand red eggs, nameless here forevermore.
i dont think a web site going down is very important for marxism actually
well, not compared to this site, obviously.

winebaby posted:

the writing is really on the wall for twitter, this week. i know some people with kardashians shaking their heads for avatars will probably disagree with me, but this is bad for leftist tendencies, generally, and marxist-leninists, specifically. the hellbird that laid a thousand red eggs, nameless here forevermore.

imo people having more broad political opinions and interests and communicating about them and finding information relevant to their interests is a wider trend that started before twitter and will continue after it, whatever happens. but also, having a giant sewage tank full of 150M people is too valuable to capital for it to ever go fully away. it will just become like whatever facebook is now
lol

lo posted:

lol

The Jordan Peterson School of Anti-psychiatry.

Populares posted:

The Jordan Peterson School of Anti-psychiatry.

i know you're joking but in a certain sense I do think self help people like Jordan Peterson are the conservative wing of anti-psychiatry. Like for ex: in response to medicalization of attention issues, depression, etc the left says "the problem is deeper than this - people are feeling this way because this is a social issue not a medical one" whereas fellows like JP would say "the problem doesnt exist, this is a normal issue thats been made into a fictitious disorder, you just gotta grind it out"

lo posted:

imo this was likely accomplished without intent by just feeding the machine the default Internet version of Marx, which is in turn the Wikipedia-article version of Marx, which was constructed over many years by nocturnal Trot Wikipedia goblins under the watchful eye of the Great Goblin beneath the Misty Mountains cold.

cars posted:

lo posted:

imo this was likely accomplished without intent by just feeding the machine the default Internet version of Marx, which is in turn the Wikipedia-article version of Marx, which was constructed over many years by nocturnal Trot Wikipedia goblins under the watchful eye of the Great Goblin beneath the Misty Mountains cold.

that seems reasonable to me. just like how if you train an AI on 4chan posts it becomes racist or whatever

When I see something like this, I'm reminded of JMP's post about the distinction between the libertarian ideologue's "fantasy capitalism" and capitalism as it actually exists- as Marx described it- and that successful capitalists invariably understand in the scientific manner. It surprises a lot of people that said successful capitalists or finance people understand, use and often study Marx, when they're told he was "proven wrong about everything," one of those potent redpills I keep stored in my brain for interactions with people along with stuff like "Stalin tried to resign from his position three times"

Edited by Plants ()

what have you been thinking about Twitter recently cars. Well i’m glad you asked cars. Keep it to the quarantine thread though, okay i will, tough but fair.

so much of neo-Nazi online culture advanced through an idiot-vs.-midwit arms race against moderators. This happened in tandem with the consolidation of online discussion into a small number of big sites, the sites trying to keep themselves from turning into skinhead pubs. Far-righters would continuously invent new dim-bulb code-speak, as wrongly convinced of their own cleverness as any '90s/'00s lefty-lib "culture jammer". Then the sites would slap them down with ever-increasing efficiency, largely because the early adopters of some new quasi-code were always prior offenders, and the mods had ever-increasing files on them. And in part because the Western far-right online user base has high-school-reject compulsions that push them helplessly toward "getting away with" saying things (loudly annoying everyone else in a classroom until they're punished) in contradiction to their own social effectiveness. They are, in the current moment, no more than marginally effective propaganda multipliers exploited by cops and well-heeled right-liberals.

now, the neo-Nazis think that Twitter's new boss will turn back the clock, reverse the history of the arms race against online moderation in their favor, at least on that site.

Except….. that's not really possible.

Moderation is handled with a dashboard-managed toolset (the divot-heads running the company now just recently showed the UI off to all of us) that depends on a large data set on users, I'm sure one of the most globally comprehensive user information collections in history, extreme in breadth if not in depth. The information won't be thrown out or diverted away from moderator tools, because it’s used for every type of moderation simultaneously, including the types that are necessarily desirous for any possible financial model for Twitter as a business, stuff like "make sure the site doesn’t crash for more than a day from malicious automation". The fewer the moderators on staff or under contract, the more the remaining moderators have to rely on those existing tools and those data.

So… The easiest way for the few mods left to look like they’re doing their jobs is to prioritize throttling, banning and shadow-banning the same users as before, using the data collected about those users with prior ToS violations to detect them and do the same thing again. (In the age of DeSantis The Pedo photo album primaries, it's pretty important that the far right's drive to paint others as pedophiles reflects their uncomfortable knowledge that anti-pedophile moderation has built up thorough data sets about the far right themselves as proud pedophiles.) The only thing that can be done even to slow the use and re-use of that data set for moderation is to do a steadily worse job of running the company, outracing the need for mods to rely on those tools, by steadily increasing the rate at which moderators are eliminated as job roles or churned and replaced with untrained newcomers. And that will, through the action of capital, hasten Twitter’s transformation into one of a variety of other things different from what Twitter is today, into something that can continue to act as capital for someone, somehow.

since the far right already has its own moldy, half-functional sites to cook up that sort of quasi-coded propaganda, which they prefer for obvious reasons, that transformation will ensure Twitter becomes superfluous to far-right propaganda altogether, again, because of the "skinhead pub" problem, where if you let the far-right turds pile up, pretty soon it’s just skinheads getting in monkey-shit fights and ero-shitting on each others' chests in doorless, wrong-way-swastika-carved bathroom stalls, and no one else. Because no one else wants to go to your bar anymore.

So either the site will end up as mostly just that exact brand of anti-social far-right freak user and no one else, which makes it redundant, or (much more likely) some new model taking advantage of the name "Twitter" will turn it into yet another unnavigable necropolis-maze graveyard where aging propaganda slinks off to die among sedentary retirees, like more "social media" sites than are worthwhile to list here. It won’t matter because no one will even be able to figure out how to see what their direct contacts post when they log on once per month, let alone what a bunch of strangers have to say about Communist psionic warfare keeping women from dating them.
this is incidentally why my response to all that "well, time to say goodbye, Twitter will shut down this week" stuff around November was: I like your attitude, but this isn't 1998, and the closest you’re likely to get to that in the next couple years at least is if some other company's brand gets shoved between "twitter" and ".com" when the address redirects. Even abandoned wikis for one-season TV shows are still out there shambling around thanks to Umbrella Corporation.

cars posted:

this is incidentally why my response to all that "well, time to say goodbye, Twitter will shut down this week" stuff around November was: I like your attitude, but this isn't 1998, and the closest you’re likely to get to that in the next couple years at least is if some other company's brand gets shoved between "twitter" and ".com" when the address redirects. Even abandoned wikis for one-season TV shows are still out there shambling around thanks to Umbrella Corporation.

What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there anything of which one can say,
“Look! This is something new”?
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

tears posted:

cars posted:

What do people gain from all their labors
at which they toil under the sun?
Generations come and generations go,
but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises and the sun sets,
and hurries back to where it rises.
The wind blows to the south
and turns to the north;
round and round it goes,
ever returning on its course.
All streams flow into the sea,
yet the sea is never full.
To the place the streams come from,
there they return again.
All things are wearisome,
more than one can say.
The eye never has enough of seeing,
nor the ear its fill of hearing.
It was here already, long ago;
it was here before our time.
No one remembers the former generations,
and even those yet to come
will not be remembered
by those who follow them.

nihil sub sōle novum

lol

lo posted:

lol

this is just like harry potter

tears posted:

history moves in spirals smh

in today's quarantined Twitter news, the new "Following" tab now shows you mostly posts from people you don't follow. Not sure where they're going with this.
All this tomfoolery was enough to get me to log off Twitter for the last time. The doge icon made me realise I was looking at a website for stupid babies. Unfortunately I cannot quit Facebook because the Radio War Nerd group is quite good and I'm also in a discussion group for the newspaper comic Heathcliff.