meanwhile

lol

sovnarkoman posted:

meanwhile

Great news for those who admire the for sure 100% still alive and not dead Queen of England!

all the rail workers in the alive queen's United Kingdom are going on strike, probably the teachers too pretty soon.

Will it ever end!
i have covid fuck this country
all the best tears.
little rant: school has gone to shit, constant staff absences due to covid mean we are running just to stay still - plus there is a constant cycle of sick kids - i am teaching some classes this week with 7 students missing. attendance never really picked back up "after" covid and it has declined again as the plague rips through yet again. students often tell me that they do not have a clue what the fuck we are doing or why. the absence of staff and proliferation of cover lessons has ment that behaviour has declined to the point that sometimes i feel like i am a one woman disciplinarian holding the line against utter chaos. ive already gained a reputation as one of the strictest teachers in the school which would be grim but necessary since half of SLT think its their role to be super nice to children who i have kicked out of class for bad behaviour and teachers role to be mean assholes - wtf - but it is tempered by the fact that all the kids know that i am smart as shit so at least i have some respect rather than just miss tears will set you a detention if you look at her funny. i spend too much time setting and following through with detentions and chasing parents with little help from SLT or my department in an effort to get the actual climate our department needs for learning to take place. meanwhile half my department is leaving to teach in other countries which actually pay a living wage. the brain drain is real. i work 7am until 5pm with little break. inflation is killing me. now i have covid. strike now.

Edited by tears ()

i read a local news article that said that quite a few schools were finding students who had simply stopped attending and when they went to the students' houses they would find the house empty and the family gone with no explanation and in the article there was no further attempt to explain this fairly alarming sounding thing apparently happening enmasse. anyway our education system is also in perpetual crisis mode because of covid staff shortages. fun atmosphere in the anglosphere right now

lo posted:

i read a local news article that said that quite a few schools were finding students who had simply stopped attending and when they went to the students' houses they would find the house empty and the family gone with no explanation and in the article there was no further attempt to explain this fairly alarming sounding thing apparently happening enmasse

tears posted:

i have covid fuck this country

i still have covid and have been off work for a week. i'm perma-nauseous and have on and off migraines. grotesque.

migraines suck. feel better soon, buddy.

lo posted:

i read a local news article that said that quite a few schools were finding students who had simply stopped attending and when they went to the students' houses they would find the house empty and the family gone with no explanation and in the article there was no further attempt to explain this fairly alarming sounding thing apparently happening enmasse. anyway our education system is also in perpetual crisis mode because of covid staff shortages. fun atmosphere in the anglosphere right now

i wonder if shit like this and the increasing ability of people to say no to the shittiest jobs (sorry i mean the high cost of labour) in the core are both a result of covid lockdowns and curfews just doing a complete reset on people who are "illegals" in any sense. people just forced to buckle down and then flee to somewhere they might have any useful status and cross their fingers, if they felt like covid was a real threat or if they felt like they had no choice for some other reason. anything seems possible

double post?!
I donā€™t know the size of the effect and Iā€™d have to think hard about how to measure itā€¦. but COVID happened at the same time as a record-setting gap emerged between wage growth and rent increases in the U.S., and those together forced a rapid shift in a lot of peopleā€™s outlook on multigenerational households and other forms of ā€œconsolidatedā€ living, five adults to a two bedroom apartment and so on. Most people in the U.S. thought of that as the mark of various out-groups, first-generation immigrants, the semi-homeless, starving artists, etc. Even a lot of those who engaged in it felt that way and felt constant pressure to change their lives as soon as they could. But those sorts of living arrangements suddenly shed their social stigma for a lot of reasons related to COVID, and that clued a lot of people in to how much more sense they make for household economics.

In turn, thatā€™s probably had some real effect on the usual pressure the bourgeoisie can apply in situations like todayā€™s. Very recently, they could count on more young people going into much more personal debt and taking much more self-destructive measures in the long term just to have ā€œtheir own placeā€, in that almost pathological way ā€œyour own placeā€ is seen in the U.S. vs. most other countries, as a requirement for seeking financial independence instead of as a result of it. That is probably still going on a lot, you canā€™t just erase that sort of norm overnight, but COVID plus the rent/income gap might still have put a dent in that idea that will last for a while, just because people put it aside for a couple years and it saved them a lot of money and they were socially forgiven for it. Itā€™s hard to forget that overnight too.

Combine that with the number of elderly workers, already living like that, who just near-silently died of COVID in the U.S., and the impact was probably significant. It also might be really difficult to quantify in that exact way, though. A big proportion of the senior-age workforce in the U.S. was already homeless or semi-homeless when the pandemic began, which means theyā€™re both one of the highest-risk categories for death from COVID and among the most likely to die from it without COVID ever being recorded as cause of death.
queen elizabeth memorial zzone, rest in piss you old bag

very old woman dead from natural causes. a notable victory for the left
i was hoping she'd hang in there just to continue denying charles the crown into his 80s

a good run but alas, the septuagenarian heir apparent prince is now expected to stop standing around in shorts while holding a giant lolly
condolences to our uk brethren, i'm sorry she died peacefully
LIZ TRUSS KILLED THE QUEEN, GLORY TO THE DEEP COVER COMRADES
looks like they dumped the news at around midnight in India, south Asia is mostly just about to wake up to this. currently just 4:30 am in Bangladesh. This may be an all time world record day for dancing on the internet
9/11 anniversary just got cancelledā€¦but at what cost?

Constantignoble posted:

i was hoping she'd hang in there just to continue denying charles the crown into his 80s

a good run but alas, the septuagenarian heir apparent prince is now expected to stop standing around in shorts while holding a giant lolly

it would be funny if charles died like a week from now

hope the queen is ok

tears posted:

little rant: school has gone to shit, constant staff absences due to covid mean we are running just to stay still - plus there is a constant cycle of sick kids - i am teaching some classes this week with 7 students missing. attendance never really picked back up "after" covid and it has declined again as the plague rips through yet again. students often tell me that they do not have a clue what the fuck we are doing or why. the absence of staff and proliferation of cover lessons has ment that behaviour has declined to the point that sometimes i feel like i am a one woman disciplinarian holding the line against utter chaos. ive already gained a reputation as one of the strictest teachers in the school which would be grim but necessary since half of SLT think its their role to be super nice to children who i have kicked out of class for bad behaviour and teachers role to be mean assholes - wtf - but it is tempered by the fact that all the kids know that i am smart as shit so at least i have some respect rather than just miss tears will set you a detention if you look at her funny. i spend too much time setting and following through with detentions and chasing parents with little help from SLT or my department in an effort to get the actual climate our department needs for learning to take place. meanwhile half my department is leaving to teach in other countries which actually pay a living wage. the brain drain is real. i work 7am until 5pm with little break. inflation is killing me. now i have covid. strike now.

they have increased the number of clicks to set a detention from 16 to 29

wrote a huge post base on my limited experience about the importance of non-discriminatory high expectations and strong discipline in schooling commemorate the ascension of my new king Charles 3 and deleted it in a gleeful fit of pure joy causing me much pleasure in the the act of sequential creation and then destruction of my own works. partly i still worry readers may get the wrong opinion about my obsession with discipline when actually i have simply taken both the name of former forums poster discipline and the works of anton makarenko heroic soviet educator to hearts. <- this is a full stop fyi use them or i will mark your work with red X (bad) and remind you in my nausea-inducing english accent that care in the product of our labours is important (lord save your soul). though to be truthful, actually my high expectations of posters hear mean i am fully on board with simply assuming (rightly) that fellow posters can understand the importance of rigorous discipline in education
i like your posts about teaching, tears. and sorry to hear about the detention click increase
I would also like to express my fondness for those particular posts

tears posted:

wrote a huge post base on my limited experience about the importance of non-discriminatory high expectations and strong discipline in schooling commemorate the ascension of my new king Charles 3 and deleted it in a gleeful fit of pure joy causing me much pleasure in the the act of sequential creation and then destruction of my own works

the destruction of a mandala, whether of sand or prose, reminds us of impermanence ā€” the ultimate transience of all things.