who the fuck ever heard of five dollars for a button anyways. aren't they supposed to be handing these things out like rain on a sunday
who the fuck ever heard of five dollars for a button anyways. aren't they supposed to be handing these things out like rain on a sunday
http://store.barackobama.com/accessories/obama-dog-collar.html

germanjoey posted:
who the fuck is gonna spend $450 bucks on a fucking obama pin collection

http://store.barackobama.com/buttons.html?source=site_tout3

i guess you're too poor to understand what lapel means

Edited by ChatBot ()

whoa. i could be a Grassroots Donator.
seeing that gear reminded me of the 2003 conservative leadership convention here. i was a delegate for a dude. the convention floor was just loaded with people all chanting for their candidates and cheering and wearing colour-coded clothing and such and i just looked around and was like "this is tribal." but it was also beautiful in a way. i have the political bug so those sorts of situations, narrow contests where anything can happen, are cool to me. terrifying but i miss it a lot.

germanjoey posted:

i will wear this for $1000

babyfinland posted:

germanjoey posted:

i will wear this for $1000

Barrack's Best Friend

to be fair most of that shit is for campaign staff and they give it to them for free or whatever and the main campaign staff probably secretly thinks lowly of people who buy them. this is not strange though because the main campaign staff thinks lowly of everyone. that is why a political event that has millions of participants has only like five people who can speak for the campaign and everyone else just chants hope.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
i don't even think there is any statistical reason to vote. the only people who really matter in election campaigns are like people with money or people who can convince thousands of people to do what they want. so like unless you are a union bureaucrat or banker or something you are basically irrelevant to american presidential politics. but i think it is probably good to vote or something if you want to because it sort of affirms your position in society in a weird way. like it says "this is the sort of society i want" and says you are willing to compromise with people about that too. so let's vote for barack obama, who is a good man and a fine father.

discipline posted:
I would rather stab myself in the stomach and throw myself in traffic than vote for barack obama. I am literally offended that anyone irl thinks I should/would vote for him. do they think so little of me??

we're not asking you to joystick a predator drone on to pakistani children or something here, we're looking for a vote in a presidential race. and a phonebank. and a button collection purchase. and a credit card max-out. and a beef jerky purchase.

discipline posted:
I can't believe you said the N word you racist. racist.

i was quoting the old d&d thread which means it wasn't really me saying it.

[account deactivated]

getfiscal posted:
i don't even think there is any statistical reason to vote. the only people who really matter in election campaigns are like people with money or people who can convince thousands of people to do what they want. so like unless you are a union bureaucrat or banker or something you are basically irrelevant to american presidential politics. but i think it is probably good to vote or something if you want to because it sort of affirms your position in society in a weird way. like it says "this is the sort of society i want" and says you are willing to compromise with people about that too. so let's vote for barack obama, who is a good man and a fine father.

what if youre one of those thousands

discipline posted:
you know that beef jerky is really pretty good

yeah i often think to myself, "is there some way i can fill my mouth with salt, but also get repulsive meat involved?"

babyfinland posted:

well the chances that you are substantially going to affect the outcome are essentially zero. obviously in some weird kantian way obviously if almost everyone took the advice not to vote (which i'm not giving) then we would end up with a bad result. but as a matter of personal action it isn't like your decision to smoke up instead of voting for ron paul or whatever is going to change things.

polling is fun. if you ask a registered voter "would you vote for the republican nominee or obama" then the winner is pretty clearly republican. but if you say rick perry versus obama then the same people break obama 50 - 45. romney gets like 49 to obama's 47 but that means nothing so far out. i'm not sure which way it would go in the general. like there's a billion dollars in advertising between us and the vote, so who knows how it will shape up. personally i wouldn't even care much if romney wins. the worst he could do is let republicans in congress pass some dumb shit but he's so politiciany that he'll probably shut them up for message control.
romney has embraced the revolutionary tricolor

getfiscal posted:

babyfinland posted:

well the chances that you are substantially going to affect the outcome are essentially zero. obviously in some weird kantian way obviously if almost everyone took the advice not to vote (which i'm not giving) then we would end up with a bad result. but as a matter of personal action it isn't like your decision to smoke up instead of voting for ron paul or whatever is going to change things.

that was an excellent youtube reference, top points. i'm "feeling it"

discipline posted:
you know that beef jerky is really pretty good

it really is, its so fucking delicious...

zizek said that his contacts in chicago who know obama say he is a total atheist. he just knows that is political suicide to admit publicly. so im sorry but i cant vote for a godless heathen.

aerdil posted:
zizek said that his contacts in chicago who know obama say he is a total atheist. he just knows that is political suicide to admit publicly. so im sorry but i cant vote for a godless heathen.

did he add some shit about how god is himself an atheist and how we can see in this paradox that the subject is prevented from true atheism. in fact, remember the case of wheaties: a carb-heavy cereal that does little to promote health, but we associate it with health because of the athletes on the box. is this not like the capitalist economy writ large? because we look at the rich and see beautiful celebrities and assume the basic foundation is sound, when in fact it is rotten and so on and so on

germanjoey posted:
it really is, its so fucking delicious...

in america does "delicious" mean "more salt than the dead sea combined with meats that couldn't be fed to pigs with a good conscience"

getfiscal posted:

aerdil posted:

did he add some shit about how god is himself an atheist and how we can see in this paradox that the subject is prevented from true atheism. in fact, remember the case of wheaties: a carb-heavy cereal that does little to promote health, but we associate it with health because of the athletes on the box. is this not like the capitalist economy writ large? because we look at the rich and see beautiful celebrities and assume the basic foundation is sound, when in fact it is rotten and so on and so on

zizek slobbers and is gross and neurotic so we associate him with authentic anti-capitalist theory. is this not like my jorts shart large

zizek is a genius and would always have become famous for his synthesis of lacan and marx. but i was thinking yesterday again about how true it is that a lot of interest in him is just because he re-asserts the primacy of class. it's the same for david harvey and fredric jameson. like they are smart people and they can package the narrative about it but they are so popular mostly because of whining about postmodernism not being class-centered enough. but none of them offers a pretty good argument for this, they just sort of re-assert it. like i was temporarily convinced by zizek's line about how class underpins other oppressions but that's just re-hashing base/superstructure. in retrospect i just wanted to be reconvinced of marxism when it is obviously dead.
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
yeah but you took a look at philosophy and decided to endorse islam so really people in glass houses
[account deactivated]
actually god is dead and marx is alive, sorry for both of you.

discipline posted:
aahhaa what's your point, that perhaps I should have read more philosophy before deciding it was mostly a hack skip (that's british english for dumpster) for aristocracy?

well you know i love ya but if your encounter with philosophy ended with endorsing the idea of books written by micromanagerial spirit beings then i think you did it wrong

aerdil posted:
actually god is dead and marx is alive, sorry for both of you.

this woman is the head of the IMF and i think she looks like she'd have a lot of advice for james bond.

[account deactivated]
yes if theres one thing theology isn't, it's definitely not weird semantic garbage about texts written two thousand years ago
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]
[account deactivated]